march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

on August 10, 2011
The extended versions have already been published in DVD The Lord of the Rings: Special Extended Edition Trilogy (12 Discs) (Widescreen) this is a Blu Ray version of this package.

THE improvement of the Blu Ray version is the inclusion of HD versions of the movies. Image and sound are great although there is a buzz regarding the new color timing of the Fellowship. No changes on the bonuses which are in SD but no big deal IMHO.

Packaging is far from being on par with the DVD edition but it is OK. The biggest annoyance is the inclusion of FIVE trailers that you have to skip individually since the direct access to the menu is forbidden. That sucks badly.
on November 2, 2011
I have the DVD extended edition, and surely this will not disappoint! I have yet to watch it I'd say everything about this edition is PERFECT: the box is beautifully designed (magnetic enclosure), and the printed manual for each movie look like they are straight from the artbook.

The ONLY things that mars this beautiful collection is the fact that the printed titles on the packaging is 1/4" off from the textured, raised font. Good thing the markings on the ring matches perfectly, or else it will be quite disappointing and deserves a return.

The digital copies that comes with it is a nice bonus = Road trip here I come!
on November 30, 2011
I need to know what are the language tracks for the movies... , but I need the movies to have french language tracks... , please said me if this bluray containe french language or only subtitle, beacause i wish commande it from france
on March 28, 2010
For those still interested in this package, I refer you to a recent review on [...]. It appears that the video transfer of the first movie is sub-par, compared to 'Two Towers' and 'Return of the King'... I just canceled my preorder based on this. While petty to some, I consider it inexcusable that this should happen on a blu ray release of this caliber.
on November 17, 2011
This pack is just incredible. Every Lord of the rings fan must own this edition!!! There's just so much bonuses and the extended
editions are very good, very good extra scenes and the quality of the image is just crazy!!!!
on November 28, 2004
Those who are asking "what is in extended version and why should i bother watch it?" should be happy to know that I will answer the question.
The extended version, which consists of 4 cds for each movie (so 4 cds times 3 stories = 12 cd), basically has every single explanations you need to know. From extended scenes to documentaries to commentaries, it has everything.
First, the extended version: Many of you those who were dissapointed in the movies because Jackson took out some of the parts from the book will be happy to know that he did actually firm those parts, but later deleted them. The extended scenes will add about 30 min to 1 hour of never before scene footage. Although they are relevant to the story, Jackson had to remove them because the movies were too long. The extended scenes will either make you say: I never knew that OR Oh! thats who that happened!. The scenes will really extend the already long movie but it is satisfying to watch them.
Second, the bonus cd's include: Documentaries, Commentaries, Gallery (which has concept arts and such), history and more! Although you probably wont watch all of them because there are SO many stuff to watch, you will find many of them very interesting.
Honestly, I think $100 for 12 cd's are quite cheap, considering there are SO many stuff inside the collection. This is a collection all fans of LOTR should have!
0Comment|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2014
Nice collection. Extended editions are great and the story unfolds better that the theater releases. The most popular, best selling fictional books in the English language, ever! Peter Jackson does a great job putting the story onto the silver screen. Of course there are a few changes and omissions but over all a great job! The extra material in this collection is incredible so far and it will probably take me a few more years to get through it all, as I have watched about a third of it so far.
on January 3, 2014
So I gave this product 2 starts not because of the movies but rather because of the packaging. I purchased the box set for 40 something dollars and I expected at least the packaging to be somewhat durable. It is almost the same durability as a childs construction paper. This box set [actual packaging] will tear within a week or two especially if you have kids who plan on watching the movies. other then that the blu rays are great. call me a perfectionist but I work hard for my money!
on March 18, 2010
There is NO reason to withhold the Extended editions, other than corporate greed. I am pleased that Amazon shoppers are slamming this release (of a 5 star film). If people stick to their guns and withhold, it will send the message to Hollywood to stop messing around with us. As it is, they are looking for us to purchase a Blu-Ray that most of us already own on DVD. But that isn't good enough... they want us to buy it twice.
Other studios offer upgrade discounts. This studio double dips.
Unforgivable.
on October 12, 2011
6 BDs (2 BDs for each of the 3 movies) for LOR and 9 DVDs as bonus materials.
Great video and sound quality in an elegant package.
Another review to confirm this is a very good product.