5.0 out of 5 stars A Hint or Two and some tastes to try
Published on Oct. 13 2010 by Gary Borattto

3.0 out of 5 stars What did you say?? I can't hear you over the ice cream machine!!
Well.....if this is one of the quietest makers out there I would hate to hear the other ones. It makes some good ice cream, so nice to know whats exactly is going in....but the noise! The kids, who were very excited about ice cream, wanted it turned off because it was bothering them so much. If you want to put it in the garage to make ice cream, give it a shot!
Published 14 months ago by CHRIS A FRANTZEN

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hint or Two and some tastes to try, Oct. 13 2010
This review is from: Cuisinart ICE-30BCC Pure Indulgence(TM) Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker (Kitchen)
I've had one of these Cuisinart Freezers for a few years, and bought a second one on sale- having two is great, and here is why. With two (or even a second freezer can) you can split the recipe in half and process it in two smaller batches which will get more air into it and increase the volume while making ice cream with a finer texture. As I often use Liqueur for flavoring, the alcohol can impair freezing because it can lower the freezing point too much to be frozen by a single can's capacity to freeze. Using two freezer cans helps avoid this by lowering the volume being frozen at one time. The expense might be a problem, but you may be able to find another one on sale.

How you make your base affects the final product, (well duh!) An egg custard helps give a richer taste and better texture, especially if you are avoiding or limiting cream. A good custard recipe seems to work fine as long as it is well chilled before freezing. If you are lazy like I am, you can speed things up by making your base with an instant pudding mix. Just mix it well together before freezing. I sometimes use one and a half mixes for more richness. Be sure to add some vanilla as the mixes are rather weakly flavored. I make my own Vanilla (I get a pound of beans on the internet fairly reasonably. I split 22-24 beans and put them in a bottle of good Vodka for six months, You can also split and scrape the vanilla bean's seeds out and put them in the base. They are very tiny, and are the specks in good "French vanilla" ice cream. With the mixes you can add a bit of extra milk to bring the volume up to standard recipe size. I seldom use cream on doctor's orders.

As for flavors:
Rusty Nail is a favorite! Just add about 3/4 to 1 oz each of Drambuie and a not too peaty Scotch, together with some good vanilla and Wowzer. Made with butterscoth pudding it is even better.

Cinnamon (Goldschlager) and vanilla is also good, and makes a great mate to warm apple crisp. 3/4-1 oz each of Goldschlager and real vanilla.

Raspberry Ice cream is great. Use a a cup or two of Raspberries, crushed and mixed with a cup of sugar, a splash of vanilla and the juice and zest of a lemon. Mix this well and add to the base. The vanilla and lemon make this great.

Lemon Ice cream can be made with the juice and zest of a lemon,or two if they are small, an oz of Lemoncello liqueur and 1/2 oz of Vanilla added to the base.

You can experiment with lots of flavors and I find the liqueur aisle in the friendly neighborhood Liquor store, very inspirational - the ice creams above are not very intoxicating, but if you are worried, I suppose you could add the liqueurs to hot custards as they are cooked to evaporate most of the alcohol, but where is the fun in that? A little alcohol also serves to keep lower fat ice creams from becoming too hard, as does the pudding mixes or custards.

Have fun.
Gary

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine, March 25 2010
Linda (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
First ice cream maker purchased. Had done some research on them. This machine was the right choice - easy to use, durable, convenient and easy to clean. My teenagers love the ice cream and actually enjoy experimenting with the recipes. No issues what so ever. It was a great choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great machine as long as you have a roomy, cold freezer, Jan. 8 2010
Sarah Hill (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
I received this ice cream maker for Christmas, and I've made two of the Philidelphia style ice cream recipes from the included recipe book (pistachio and vanilla (with a bit of Grand Marnier added).

You need to have a very cold freezer to freeze the barrel, and it does take up some room. I just leave it in my freezer so it's ready to go whenever I want.

My second batch of ice cream turned out better than the first. It seems to take my batches closer to 35 minutes of churning to get to a good soft-set consistency. Even then, it's still a little too soft to eat for my taste. I like to give it a good 4 hours to harden in the freezer after churning. My second batch lasted in the freezer for a week (well-covered) without developing too icy/grainy a texture. The texture of the vanilla-Grand Marnier was improved due to the alcohol in the vanilla and the Grand Marnier, which kept the ice cream from freezing too hard. I think I'll make sure I have at least 1T of vanilla in every recipe I make for this reason.

I do find the mouth-feel of the ice cream a little greazy, for want of a better word, with all the heavy cream the recipes call for, but I think mastering ice-cream making with this machine will just take a good bit of experimenting. The included recipes cover all the bases, from cream/milk Philidelphia style, custard bases, gelato, frozen yogurt, sorbets, and even frozen drinks. I'm also planning to order an additional ice cream recipe book or two, but for now, the included recipes are such that you can figure out variations pretty easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars When I say Ice, you scream Cream!, Oct. 2 2012
I bought this ice cream maker based on the many positive reviews here on Amazon and around the web and I am very pleased with my choice!

The frozen canister is nice and solid, and cleans up quickly and easily. I leave it in the freezer most of the time since I don't plan to make ice-cream, it is usually something I just suddenly crave. I like that within 25 minutes I can have an ice-cream or frozen yogurt ready at a texture a little more solid than soft-serve ice-cream. With an additional 20 minutes or so in the freezer, the ice-cream is usually perfectly ready to enjoy! The machine itself is rather loud, but all machines of this style are loud, so that doesn't bother me in the least.

If there was anything I could change about this ice cream maker, it would be to 1) add a timer 2) have the plastic insert that churns the ice cream fit a little bit more snuggly into the canister. That said, this machine is an ice cream lovers dream!

I highly recommend getting the Ice Cream bible with your purchase, it has many interesting ice cream recipes in it and a lot of hits about how to get the most out of your machine!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great, June 6 2010
Eric R Fisher "fishface42" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've had and used this machine for several years and have tried every kind of recipe scoured from the internet. Rich ice creams are best made from a cooked custard which should be chilled overnight in a cold fridge, or the machine won't freeze it. Ditto a sorbet--not cooked, but totally chilled. [Adding a raw eggwhite makes the product fluffier, though I have seen warnings re. salmonella--haven't had that problem myself.] The bowl stays in the freezer to use at will, but takes up space. My reservation about this machine is that it doesn't beat enough air into the product. Product ends up with the consistency of a firm Tasty-Freeze only more grainy on the tongue; if you leave it in the freezer it becomes hard as a rock and you need to chip it out. And you can't use bowl to make a second batch; it has to go back in the freezer first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as it should, Nov. 6 2012
This machine works exactly as it should. I purchased it 7 or 8 months ago as a birthday gift for my husband along with the book The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments by David Lebovitz. We have used it endlessly all Spring, Summer and Fall (at least once a week). Like other reviewers we keep the bowl in the freezer at all times and it has made making ice cream very convenient. Another tip we got from David Lebovitz: turn the machine on right before pouring the mixture in.

The instruction manual recommends letting the bowl freeze for 24 hours before making ice cream. I would suggest shaking the bowl to make sure the liquid inside is completely frozen as well. The first time we used it we were freezing the bowl in a fairly old freezer and the ice cream did not machine well due to the bowl not being completely frozen. We have not had this problem since (with a newer fridge/freezer).

The machine is very simple to use and a great activity to do with kids. Ice cream is not healthy but making it yourself gives you the ability to choose the ingredients and see exactly what is going into it. If you read the ingredients on ice cream packages in stores you likely will not recognize most of them. When we eat ice cream that we've made at home we generally will only eat one small scoop rather than the large bowl we would tend towards in store bought ice cream.

If you decide to buy this machine I would highly recommend getting a very good accompanying recipe book such as the Perfect Scoop. We have made several of the recipes in this book and having really good instruction, tips and recipes has made all of the difference. If we had of stuck only with the recipes provided in the manual I doubt we would have kept up our ice cream making habit/tradition all year. Don't forget - this machine works perfectly but your ice cream will only be as good as the ingredients you put into it!

4.0 out of 5 stars cuisinart ice-30bcc pure indulgence 2-quart, April 30 2011
my husband and daughter realy enjoy useing this little gadget. a bit noisy, but not too loud. quick and easy to clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ice Cream Maker!, Aug. 21 2014
L. Abraham - See all my reviews
I bought this over a year ago because I wanted to figure out how to make dairy-free ice cream. I'm not vegan, but we have milk allergies in our household and some of us really miss ice cream style products. It took me a while to come up with a decent recipe... Like a year, basically. But that is beside the point.

The point is, it really is an excellent machine. The way it works is that you put the inner tub into your freezer for something like 18 hours, until it's good and frozen. Then you pour your chilled ice cream mix into the tub. Put the turning arm in, put the lid on, and turn it on. After about 30 minutes, you have ice cream, or ice cream style product in my case.

At first I couldn't make it work properly and I was somewhat disappointed with results. What I learned was that it is not good enough to just put the machine in the freezer part of your fridge. Most likely it will not be cold enough. A stand alone deep freeze will most likely be in order to chill the tub sufficiently. Otherwise you'll just make really cold pudding.

I've had this for a year, so I can say that it has stood up to quite a lot of use without any breakdowns or problems. I'm really happy with this particular appliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, Jan. 11 2012
love it love it love it. The ice cream is incredible. It couldn't be simpler or better. Buy it, it's one of those purchases you'll be so happy you made.

5.0 out of 5 stars much improved over my last ice cream maker, June 24 2013
Better technology with the Cuisinart model and faster too. My last ice cream maker did not work out well. It's been years between makers and I have forgotten the brand. Their customer service dept. was great though and helpful too. Sent me a new bowl as it was leaking. Also the blade rotated and not the bowl which is another improved feature with this brand. This model has a nice large capacity bowl. I improvised right away and used only home milk adding some liquid coconut oil to make it more creamy and a strawberry puree at the end. It froze up fine but was slightly softer than expected and I attribute this to my own ingredients. I used all organic ingredients and the flavor was out of this world with fewer calories. Delicious and healthy too.

Cuisinart ICE-30BCC Pure Indulgence(TM) Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker