Showing 1-10 of 94 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
When I decided to buy an ice cream maker, I did a lot of research and talked to a few people in kitchen stores. In the end, I settled on this Cuisinart as a good combination of cost, volume of ice cream produced, convenience, and ease of use. Naturally, as soon as it arrived, I had to refrigerate the bowl and produce a remarkably good quantity of vanilla ice cream with mint chips. Yummy!

I was looking for a unit that would allow me to make sorbet, as well as ice cream, and that had minimal moving parts to worry about. This unit is great on both aspects. I keep the bowl in the freezer most of the time. To make ice cream, you simply put all the ingredients into the bowl, put it in the unit with the lid (which contains stirring paddles), and turn it on. The bowl does the turning, not the paddles, and you can see the process clearly through the clear lid (fun for the kids and adults!). It makes enough for several bowls of ice cream or sorbet, and I found I can vary the amounts of ingredients to suit my needs.

As part of the order, I also picked up a few recipe books for ice cream makers, and have been experimenting. Once you get used to the units and precise measurements, it's easy to create really good, custom flavours of ice cream, sorbet, and frozen yoghurt. I've made some really interesting mixes (and a few I wouldn't want to repeat). Cleanup is simple: a rinse of the bowl, stirrer assemble and lid, and you're done. I haven't tried the dishwasher and would not want to put the bowl in, but I suppose some will.

Overall this Cusinart has performed solidly for me for the last three months and quite a bit of experimentation. As long as the bowl is cold and the ingredients are carefully mixed, you'll get some lovely product from the mixer. Is it easier than picking up a gallon premade at the supermarket? No. Is it cheaper than that supermarket gallon? No. Is it more fun to make custom flavours and know YOU made the treat? Yup!
on October 17, 2015
It doesn't make PERFECT ice cream, in that the ice cream is always a little softer than you'd get at the store. But for the price you can't beat it. The flavour of the ice cream is unreal, and you can stiffen it up by putting the ice cream in the freezer afterwards.

I don't think that any tub mixer is going to do any better, so unless you want to spend several hundred bucks this machine is the ticket. We made ice cream a couple times a week all summer.
on August 21, 2014
I bought this over a year ago because I wanted to figure out how to make dairy-free ice cream. I'm not vegan, but we have milk allergies in our household and some of us really miss ice cream style products. It took me a while to come up with a decent recipe... Like a year, basically. But that is beside the point.

The point is, it really is an excellent machine. The way it works is that you put the inner tub into your freezer for something like 18 hours, until it's good and frozen. Then you pour your chilled ice cream mix into the tub. Put the turning arm in, put the lid on, and turn it on. After about 30 minutes, you have ice cream, or ice cream style product in my case.

At first I couldn't make it work properly and I was somewhat disappointed with results. What I learned was that it is not good enough to just put the machine in the freezer part of your fridge. Most likely it will not be cold enough. A stand alone deep freeze will most likely be in order to chill the tub sufficiently. Otherwise you'll just make really cold pudding.

I've had this for a year, so I can say that it has stood up to quite a lot of use without any breakdowns or problems. I'm really happy with this particular appliance.
on December 21, 2015
Works very well. I wanted to make healthy ice creams for my family to enjoy. U have control over what u put into ice cream maker. And can make it as healthy or as unhealthy as u want it to be. Super fun purchase.
on August 8, 2015
Cette machine à crème glacée est au top de son prix, wow... la quantité produite est parfaite et la facilité d'utilisation en fait un must à avoir dans sa cuisine...
Faire sa propre glace maison, un savoureux dessert....
on October 13, 2010
I've had one of these Cuisinart Freezers for a few years, and bought a second one on sale- having two is great, and here is why. With two (or even a second freezer can) you can split the recipe in half and process it in two smaller batches which will get more air into it and increase the volume while making ice cream with a finer texture. As I often use Liqueur for flavoring, the alcohol can impair freezing because it can lower the freezing point too much to be frozen by a single can's capacity to freeze. Using two freezer cans helps avoid this by lowering the volume being frozen at one time. The expense might be a problem, but you may be able to find another one on sale.

How you make your base affects the final product, (well duh!) An egg custard helps give a richer taste and better texture, especially if you are avoiding or limiting cream. A good custard recipe seems to work fine as long as it is well chilled before freezing. If you are lazy like I am, you can speed things up by making your base with an instant pudding mix. Just mix it well together before freezing. I sometimes use one and a half mixes for more richness. Be sure to add some vanilla as the mixes are rather weakly flavored. I make my own Vanilla (I get a pound of beans on the internet fairly reasonably. I split 22-24 beans and put them in a bottle of good Vodka for six months, You can also split and scrape the vanilla bean's seeds out and put them in the base. They are very tiny, and are the specks in good "French vanilla" ice cream. With the mixes you can add a bit of extra milk to bring the volume up to standard recipe size. I seldom use cream on doctor's orders.

As for flavors:
Rusty Nail is a favorite! Just add about 3/4 to 1 oz each of Drambuie and a not too peaty Scotch, together with some good vanilla and Wowzer. Made with butterscoth pudding it is even better.

Cinnamon (Goldschlager) and vanilla is also good, and makes a great mate to warm apple crisp. 3/4-1 oz each of Goldschlager and real vanilla.

Raspberry Ice cream is great. Use a a cup or two of Raspberries, crushed and mixed with a cup of sugar, a splash of vanilla and the juice and zest of a lemon. Mix this well and add to the base. The vanilla and lemon make this great.

Lemon Ice cream can be made with the juice and zest of a lemon,or two if they are small, an oz of Lemoncello liqueur and 1/2 oz of Vanilla added to the base.

You can experiment with lots of flavors and I find the liqueur aisle in the friendly neighborhood Liquor store, very inspirational - the ice creams above are not very intoxicating, but if you are worried, I suppose you could add the liqueurs to hot custards as they are cooked to evaporate most of the alcohol, but where is the fun in that? A little alcohol also serves to keep lower fat ice creams from becoming too hard, as does the pudding mixes or custards.

Have fun.
Gary
on April 10, 2016
I decided to try my luck with ice-cream making and bought this model a couple of years ago without breaking the bank. It's super easy to use and has worked well so far. Easily cleaned, too. Quite happy about all that turned out.

I'd say whenever one batch of ice-cream doesn't turn out that great, it's all about the recipe/ingredients or that I added a little too much booze in it so it doesn't freeze as well as it should... hehe.

My main tip if you consider buying this is making sure you leave the drum in your freezer long enough (I leave mine all the time in there, actually) and take it out just before it's time to pour your mix in. Especially on hot summer days! And maybe don't try to make the maximum amount you can put it, it probably works better half or 2/3 full in my experience.
on January 6, 2013
The Vanilla ice cream recipe that comes with this machine is by far the best vanilla ice cream I have tasted before. This machine works perfectly and once the bowl is frozen it takes 20-30 min to make a full batch. I would recommend this to anyone.
on July 17, 2016
Génial pour faire des crèmes glacées et des sorbets plus santé que ce qu'on achète en magasin. Le résultat est un peu mou, mais ça convient à la gourmande que je suis, trop pressée de goûter. Sinon on peut congeler quelques minutes pour un résultat plus proche de ce qu'on s'attend d'une crème glacée. L'appareil est joli, robuste, incroyablement facile d'utilisation d'utilisation (un bouton on/off) et d'entretien. Nettoyé en 20 secondes! Le format est standard et fonctionne avec toutes les recettes, prises sur internet ou dans des livres de recettes, que j'ai essayée, autant crue que cuite. Cependant, la quantité de ces recettes n'est jamais très grande. Ma famille de 5 passe au travers, sans qu'on n'aie le temps d'en congeler une partie! Et doubler une recette ne donne pas de bon résultat avec cet appareil. On ne peut pas refaire une 2e recette immédiatement après, car on doit laisser le bol dégeler pour le laver (sinon l'eau fige sur les parois) puis le remettre au congélateur quelques heures pour que le bol redevienne très froid. Je l'adore.
on October 8, 2015
We love this ice cream maker. It makes a lot of ice cream in one batch, and have had no issues with it whatsoever. We keep the bowl in the deep freeze and some of the basic ingredients in the fridge so that we can whip it out & have delicious home-made ice cream in less than 30 minutes whenever we feel like it.