march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-10 of 87 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on October 13, 2010
I've had one of these Cuisinart Freezers for a few years, and bought a second one on sale- having two is great, and here is why. With two (or even a second freezer can) you can split the recipe in half and process it in two smaller batches which will get more air into it and increase the volume while making ice cream with a finer texture. As I often use Liqueur for flavoring, the alcohol can impair freezing because it can lower the freezing point too much to be frozen by a single can's capacity to freeze. Using two freezer cans helps avoid this by lowering the volume being frozen at one time. The expense might be a problem, but you may be able to find another one on sale.

How you make your base affects the final product, (well duh!) An egg custard helps give a richer taste and better texture, especially if you are avoiding or limiting cream. A good custard recipe seems to work fine as long as it is well chilled before freezing. If you are lazy like I am, you can speed things up by making your base with an instant pudding mix. Just mix it well together before freezing. I sometimes use one and a half mixes for more richness. Be sure to add some vanilla as the mixes are rather weakly flavored. I make my own Vanilla (I get a pound of beans on the internet fairly reasonably. I split 22-24 beans and put them in a bottle of good Vodka for six months, You can also split and scrape the vanilla bean's seeds out and put them in the base. They are very tiny, and are the specks in good "French vanilla" ice cream. With the mixes you can add a bit of extra milk to bring the volume up to standard recipe size. I seldom use cream on doctor's orders.

As for flavors:
Rusty Nail is a favorite! Just add about 3/4 to 1 oz each of Drambuie and a not too peaty Scotch, together with some good vanilla and Wowzer. Made with butterscoth pudding it is even better.

Cinnamon (Goldschlager) and vanilla is also good, and makes a great mate to warm apple crisp. 3/4-1 oz each of Goldschlager and real vanilla.

Raspberry Ice cream is great. Use a a cup or two of Raspberries, crushed and mixed with a cup of sugar, a splash of vanilla and the juice and zest of a lemon. Mix this well and add to the base. The vanilla and lemon make this great.

Lemon Ice cream can be made with the juice and zest of a lemon,or two if they are small, an oz of Lemoncello liqueur and 1/2 oz of Vanilla added to the base.

You can experiment with lots of flavors and I find the liqueur aisle in the friendly neighborhood Liquor store, very inspirational - the ice creams above are not very intoxicating, but if you are worried, I suppose you could add the liqueurs to hot custards as they are cooked to evaporate most of the alcohol, but where is the fun in that? A little alcohol also serves to keep lower fat ice creams from becoming too hard, as does the pudding mixes or custards.

Have fun.
Gary
When I decided to buy an ice cream maker, I did a lot of research and talked to a few people in kitchen stores. In the end, I settled on this Cuisinart as a good combination of cost, volume of ice cream produced, convenience, and ease of use. Naturally, as soon as it arrived, I had to refrigerate the bowl and produce a remarkably good quantity of vanilla ice cream with mint chips. Yummy!

I was looking for a unit that would allow me to make sorbet, as well as ice cream, and that had minimal moving parts to worry about. This unit is great on both aspects. I keep the bowl in the freezer most of the time. To make ice cream, you simply put all the ingredients into the bowl, put it in the unit with the lid (which contains stirring paddles), and turn it on. The bowl does the turning, not the paddles, and you can see the process clearly through the clear lid (fun for the kids and adults!). It makes enough for several bowls of ice cream or sorbet, and I found I can vary the amounts of ingredients to suit my needs.

As part of the order, I also picked up a few recipe books for ice cream makers, and have been experimenting. Once you get used to the units and precise measurements, it's easy to create really good, custom flavours of ice cream, sorbet, and frozen yoghurt. I've made some really interesting mixes (and a few I wouldn't want to repeat). Cleanup is simple: a rinse of the bowl, stirrer assemble and lid, and you're done. I haven't tried the dishwasher and would not want to put the bowl in, but I suppose some will.

Overall this Cusinart has performed solidly for me for the last three months and quite a bit of experimentation. As long as the bowl is cold and the ingredients are carefully mixed, you'll get some lovely product from the mixer. Is it easier than picking up a gallon premade at the supermarket? No. Is it cheaper than that supermarket gallon? No. Is it more fun to make custom flavours and know YOU made the treat? Yup!
on August 21, 2014
I bought this over a year ago because I wanted to figure out how to make dairy-free ice cream. I'm not vegan, but we have milk allergies in our household and some of us really miss ice cream style products. It took me a while to come up with a decent recipe... Like a year, basically. But that is beside the point.

The point is, it really is an excellent machine. The way it works is that you put the inner tub into your freezer for something like 18 hours, until it's good and frozen. Then you pour your chilled ice cream mix into the tub. Put the turning arm in, put the lid on, and turn it on. After about 30 minutes, you have ice cream, or ice cream style product in my case.

At first I couldn't make it work properly and I was somewhat disappointed with results. What I learned was that it is not good enough to just put the machine in the freezer part of your fridge. Most likely it will not be cold enough. A stand alone deep freeze will most likely be in order to chill the tub sufficiently. Otherwise you'll just make really cold pudding.

I've had this for a year, so I can say that it has stood up to quite a lot of use without any breakdowns or problems. I'm really happy with this particular appliance.
on March 25, 2010
First ice cream maker purchased. Had done some research on them. This machine was the right choice - easy to use, durable, convenient and easy to clean. My teenagers love the ice cream and actually enjoy experimenting with the recipes. No issues what so ever. It was a great choice.
on June 24, 2013
Better technology with the Cuisinart model and faster too. My last ice cream maker did not work out well. It's been years between makers and I have forgotten the brand. Their customer service dept. was great though and helpful too. Sent me a new bowl as it was leaking. Also the blade rotated and not the bowl which is another improved feature with this brand. This model has a nice large capacity bowl. I improvised right away and used only home milk adding some liquid coconut oil to make it more creamy and a strawberry puree at the end. It froze up fine but was slightly softer than expected and I attribute this to my own ingredients. I used all organic ingredients and the flavor was out of this world with fewer calories. Delicious and healthy too.
on June 28, 2012
So far I have only used the Pure Indulgence a few times but let me tell you it is a great device. Simple to use and easy to maintain.

The recipes that came with it are easy to follow and I look foreword to experimenting with different flavors.

All in all an excellent device for the novice.
on January 11, 2012
love it love it love it. The ice cream is incredible. It couldn't be simpler or better. Buy it, it's one of those purchases you'll be so happy you made.
on January 6, 2013
The Vanilla ice cream recipe that comes with this machine is by far the best vanilla ice cream I have tasted before. This machine works perfectly and once the bowl is frozen it takes 20-30 min to make a full batch. I would recommend this to anyone.
on February 22, 2013
This is exactly what I was looking for! I thought giving up dairy meant giving up ice cream, but I was wrong. Coconut milk (from the can) makes an amazing substitute, and using this ice cream maker gives an inexpensive option to store bought coconut milk ice cream. Can't beat it - 20 minutes or so until you have a bowl of ice cream in front of you!

Buy one of these. You won't be sorry!
on September 11, 2012
I am very happy with this recent addition to my kitchen accessories. I have tried a few recipes with this maker, very easy to use and Ive created some delicious recipes. I recommend it to anyone wanting to give ice cream making a try!