Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: DVDChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 13, 2008
Before I purchased this set I spent some time on the Internet looking for any kind of review for this item, to see whether or not, since I already owned the individual remastered special editions, this was worth the upgrade.

But, there was nothing.

So I took the plunge (it helped that the Costco here in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, had the set on sale for $47.99 Canadian, cheaper then even the official site was selling it for) and now, here's what you need to know.

First off, the video presentation of the films is the exact same as the individual remastered special edition DVD from years back.

Meaning it's watchable, but not the best picture quality out there.

One of the reasons for this is that the first two mini series where filmed on 16mm film stock, thus creating a slightly grainy picture.

I had hoped that since the extras on the discs where transported onto the fifth disc, that the freed up space would have allowed for better compression, and thus, better picture quality, but that is not the case.

Okay, so lets list the pros and cons of this set:

* All the discs are single sided (not double sided like the second and third mini series DVD's in the individual sets)
* There's a nice hour plus making of retrospective with Kevin Sullivan and some of the cast members
* A nice booklet with production notes and pictures, comes with the set
* The price is less than the collective price of purchasing the three mini series DVD's individually

* The picture hasn't been improved
* Other than the retrospective documentary, a ten minute fluff piece on the author, and the missing Morilla's Death episode (which I have yet to watch, so I can't comment on it at the present) everything else is the same as the last incarnations of the DVD's

Of note, all of the extras from the previous DVD's have been carried over including Megan Follows screen test, and are all on the fifth disc.

So if you don't already own the individual special edition DVD's, then this set is the way to go, and if you already own the individual DVD's and want more extras, then this new set is worth the upgrade, otherwise this set can be skipped.

Hope this helps.
on June 21, 2008
This is a great set with disks that have been *slightly* restored and extra features have been added. I must note that amazon is mixing the reviews of this one with the original release. This does not have a 2 sided disk, but 5 disks that are one-sided. They are closed captioned.

1. Anne of Green Gables is one of the best novels ever written and the mini-series is presented very well and is accurate to the book. It is an outstanding rendition. The release of this set is nicely timed with the 100th anniversary of the novel.

2. I like the first sequel even though they made changes, mostly because they were faithful to the flavour of the novel and kept most people & characters the same as they were in the books. This movie is semi-loosely based on Anne of the Island and Anne of Windy Poplars. However, I do miss Roy Gardner!

3. I do not care for the 2nd sequel because I feel they went too far from the words that made Montgomery famous. I would have preferred if they had presented Anne's House of Dreams which is one of LMM's best books. Instead they borrowed ideas from Rilla of Ingleside and made Gilbert (and Anne) go off to war. They did not presently A & G's wedding well at all and I was disappointed. Jon Crombie's characterization of Gilbert was very altered. In the books Gilbert was always the jokester and "teasy" even when he was older. I didn't know the thin and serious Gilbert presented in this mini-series.

I'd recommend this set because of the great extra features. The 3 mini-series are nicely presented.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Anne of Green Gables movie and the Sequel are worth owning this DVD because the movies are that good. HOWEVER, the DVD transfer of both of those movies is terrible, my VHS had better quality. Sullivan Entertainment has recently released restored/remastered versions of these movies that have addressed as many of the quality issues as possible, and I've heard that fans are pleased with result. Before buying this series, I might investigate finding the remastered edition... too bad Amazon does not have them available here, I'd order them in a heartbeat.

The other bad part is that this trilogy contains the third Anne movie which is the biggest waste of time on the planet. If it were cheaper for me to have bought the first two movies alone I'd have done it just to avoid the third piece of junk, but it was cheaper to get the set at Costco.

So... first two are great movies with bad transfers, the third is just a bad movie period. I haven't watched the extras disc so I can't comment on it.
on September 1, 2013
This is such an awesome classic, I can't believe no one has remastered this from the original god awfull DVD into Bluray. On our HD Panasonic TV the quality of our DVD is so poor the blacks seem like they have some kind of insects crawling all over them. This is such a heartwarming and well acted series, I can't believe the quality is so poor, somebody please do this classic right and make this watchable!
on March 10, 2013
This is my favourite movie of all times. I had it in VHS format, but wanted to have it in DVD format, so I was thankful to have been able to find it. I realize that the last movie in the series does not follow the author's books, but the storyline is still lovely. Megan Follows is really a Canadian icon and does a beautiful job of portraying Anne. I really can't envision Anne being anyone else. I look forward to watching the first 2 movies with my daughter in the near future and then the final one when she is a little bit older.
on December 20, 2011
Very satisfied. Would recommend this seller to everyone! So far I have not had any problem with the purchases I have ordered on Amazon. It is always of top quality.
on February 1, 2008
anne of green gables is a great movie series. all of the actors are very good and the story is touching. every time i watch it in get caught up the whimsy and romance and innocence of it all. anne is such a great character, both romantic and passionate, romantic both in the relational and idealistic sense. the story is about a young orphan girl, anne, who is sent by mistake to an elderly couple who wanted to adopt a boy to help out around the farm. the couple decide to keep her however, and despite her penchant for getting into trouble, she endears herself to all who meet her, as well as to the viewer. its sort of like a pollyanna ish kind of story, but this might have come first i'm not sure. and... i think we'd all like to meet a gilbert blythe.
on September 19, 2009
After going to P.E.I. For a three day visit to Anne of Green Gables country it was a pleasure to view this great collection with our two grand-daughters Camille and Jade. My dear wife read two of the books and was able to relate the story to the girls during our two day drive to P.E.I..

Anne Of Green Gables is a lovely and tender story and a scenic film that is totally Canadian. Our 6 and 8 years grand daughters appreciated to view the DVD's soon after our visit to the Anne of Green Gables' House and Avonlea Village. Truly, my wife and I adored viewing the DVD's again many years after the movie came out. Our grand daughters will keep Anne of Green Gables: The Collection to view again in later years.

Levis Ouellet - Ottawa, Canada
on April 1, 2010
I live and breathe Anne of Green Gables. You could never taint it, you could always watch it over and over and over. I can never get sick of it. I discovered Anne eleven years ago. She is intelligent, strong, passionate, funny, witty. The relationship progression with her and Gilbert is soooo romantic. I stay away from the 3rd one though, it isn't based on the books. But the first two are what make this story come alive and you actually start to feel like you could be part of this world. Avonlea is a beautiful town, and I can't wait to go to PEI someday! I could probably go on forever, but let me tell you... If you are a girl and love love and it!!!!!!!!!!!
on August 14, 2015
Great movie! Really liked the character of Anne, such an uplifting spirit. Also bought the book sets, planning to read. Just wish that the DVD has closed caption as it indicates on the cover of the box set.