Before I purchased this set I spent some time on the Internet looking for any kind of review for this item, to see whether or not, since I already owned the individual remastered special editions, this was worth the upgrade.

But, there was nothing.

Published on May 13 2008 by stryper

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome story.......but the poorest of video quality
Published 15 months ago by vernoinferno

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 DISC DVD SET FROM 2008 OF - ANNE OF GREEN GABLES - A REVIEW, May 13 2008
stryper "stryper" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

But, there was nothing.

So I took the plunge (it helped that the Costco here in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, had the set on sale for $47.99 Canadian, cheaper then even the official site was selling it for) and now, here's what you need to know.

First off, the video presentation of the films is the exact same as the individual remastered special edition DVD from years back.

Meaning it's watchable, but not the best picture quality out there.

One of the reasons for this is that the first two mini series where filmed on 16mm film stock, thus creating a slightly grainy picture.

I had hoped that since the extras on the discs where transported onto the fifth disc, that the freed up space would have allowed for better compression, and thus, better picture quality, but that is not the case.

Okay, so lets list the pros and cons of this set:

Pros:

* All the discs are single sided (not double sided like the second and third mini series DVD's in the individual sets)
* There's a nice hour plus making of retrospective with Kevin Sullivan and some of the cast members
* A nice booklet with production notes and pictures, comes with the set
* The price is less than the collective price of purchasing the three mini series DVD's individually

Cons:

* The picture hasn't been improved
* Other than the retrospective documentary, a ten minute fluff piece on the author, and the missing Morilla's Death episode (which I have yet to watch, so I can't comment on it at the present) everything else is the same as the last incarnations of the DVD's

Of note, all of the extras from the previous DVD's have been carried over including Megan Follows screen test, and are all on the fifth disc.

So if you don't already own the individual special edition DVD's, then this set is the way to go, and if you already own the individual DVD's and want more extras, then this new set is worth the upgrade, otherwise this set can be skipped.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Canadian Classic! A Great Set, June 21 2008
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
This is a great set with disks that have been *slightly* restored and extra features have been added. I must note that amazon is mixing the reviews of this one with the original release. This does not have a 2 sided disk, but 5 disks that are one-sided. They are closed captioned.

1. Anne of Green Gables is one of the best novels ever written and the mini-series is presented very well and is accurate to the book. It is an outstanding rendition. The release of this set is nicely timed with the 100th anniversary of the novel.

2. I like the first sequel even though they made changes, mostly because they were faithful to the flavour of the novel and kept most people & characters the same as they were in the books. This movie is semi-loosely based on Anne of the Island and Anne of Windy Poplars. However, I do miss Roy Gardner!

3. I do not care for the 2nd sequel because I feel they went too far from the words that made Montgomery famous. I would have preferred if they had presented Anne's House of Dreams which is one of LMM's best books. Instead they borrowed ideas from Rilla of Ingleside and made Gilbert (and Anne) go off to war. They did not presently A & G's wedding well at all and I was disappointed. Jon Crombie's characterization of Gilbert was very altered. In the books Gilbert was always the jokester and "teasy" even when he was older. I didn't know the thin and serious Gilbert presented in this mini-series.

I'd recommend this set because of the great extra features. The 3 mini-series are nicely presented.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anne of Green Gables series dvd, April 12 2012
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
This is a classic Canadian story that has captured the imaginations of people all over the world. Megan Fellows becomes Anne in this mini series about an orphan girl taken in by an elderly brother and sister in rural Prince Edward Island at the turn of the century. They had been looking to adopt a boy to assist with the farming that was becoming too difficult for brother Matthew. But it was Matthew who first connected with a very intelligent chatty girl who arrived with precious little in a worn carpet bag at the train station. Anne's over active imagination, and need for drama is the cause for many mis-adventures. The box set includes all the sequels that follow Anne's journey of life. It is not action packed, and doesn't contain an evil anti Anne. It is about how the inclusion of an orphan girl changed the world for two aging siblings who had lived with little joy in their lives. It is also about the realization of potential for a young orphan girl who was given a chance to have a family. It is awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Canadian Spirit!, May 14 2013
Since these movies were released in 1985, when I was 7 years old, I have watched and enjoyed them! I am soooo happy to finally have the 'Anne Trilogy' part of my movie collection! I never get tired of watching this series over and over, they give me such a warm feeling inside and remind me of a more simple time. These movies also fill me with our true Canadian spirit! Just fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars I am torn on this review... some of it was fantastic, some of it was dreadful, Jan. 25 2012
killerwhaletank - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
The Anne of Green Gables movie and the Sequel are worth owning this DVD because the movies are that good. HOWEVER, the DVD transfer of both of those movies is terrible, my VHS had better quality. Sullivan Entertainment has recently released restored/remastered versions of these movies that have addressed as many of the quality issues as possible, and I've heard that fans are pleased with result. Before buying this series, I might investigate finding the remastered edition... too bad Amazon does not have them available here, I'd order them in a heartbeat.

The other bad part is that this trilogy contains the third Anne movie which is the biggest waste of time on the planet. If it were cheaper for me to have bought the first two movies alone I'd have done it just to avoid the third piece of junk, but it was cheaper to get the set at Costco.

So... first two are great movies with bad transfers, the third is just a bad movie period. I haven't watched the extras disc so I can't comment on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome story.......but the poorest of video quality, Sept. 1 2013
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
This is such an awesome classic, I can't believe no one has remastered this from the original god awfull DVD into Bluray. On our HD Panasonic TV the quality of our DVD is so poor the blacks seem like they have some kind of insects crawling all over them. This is such a heartwarming and well acted series, I can't believe the quality is so poor, somebody please do this classic right and make this watchable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne of Green GablesTrilogy, March 10 2013
This is my favourite movie of all times. I had it in VHS format, but wanted to have it in DVD format, so I was thankful to have been able to find it. I realize that the last movie in the series does not follow the author's books, but the storyline is still lovely. Megan Follows is really a Canadian icon and does a beautiful job of portraying Anne. I really can't envision Anne being anyone else. I look forward to watching the first 2 movies with my daughter in the near future and then the final one when she is a little bit older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied with my purchase, Dec 20 2011
Very satisfied. Would recommend this seller to everyone! So far I have not had any problem with the purchases I have ordered on Amazon. It is always of top quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mix of good and bad, April 14 2010
Margaret Love "Bird Lover" (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
The first DVD is excellent and is quite true to L M Montgomery's book. Then Kevin Sullivan begins to slowly but surely destroy Montgomery's creation from the 2nd DVD onward with characters he created (which he was proud of and has really nothing to be proud of!) and the story begins to take a new shape and form and veer completely away from Montgomery's beloved story. Still, the 2nd and 3rd DVDs are tolerable and enjoyable. However, the 4th DVD is an ABOMINATION! Sullivan completely and utterly disregarded Montgomery's books and created his own story. There was absolutely nothing in the 4th DVD that resembled Montgomery's book. It was a horror to watch Montgomery's story be torn to pieces by Sullivan, especially her last book, Rilla of Ingleside, which is a moving and heartbreaking story about Anne's sons going to war and their experiences and how it affected the family. Sullivan seems to have forgotten that readers who loved Montgomery's books loved HER story, not his. We feel cheated that we spent so much money on the entire 5 DVDs expecting the story we knew and loved so much only to watch Montgomery's story be torn up and thrown out the window!

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, Feb. 1 2008
elfdart - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
anne of green gables is a great movie series. all of the actors are very good and the story is touching. every time i watch it in get caught up the whimsy and romance and innocence of it all. anne is such a great character, both romantic and passionate, romantic both in the relational and idealistic sense. the story is about a young orphan girl, anne, who is sent by mistake to an elderly couple who wanted to adopt a boy to help out around the farm. the couple decide to keep her however, and despite her penchant for getting into trouble, she endears herself to all who meet her, as well as to the viewer. its sort of like a pollyanna ish kind of story, but this might have come first i'm not sure. and... i think we'd all like to meet a gilbert blythe.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Green Gables by Kevin Sullivan (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 89.99 CDN$ 49.95