Before I purchased this set I spent some time on the Internet looking for any kind of review for this item, to see whether or not, since I already owned the individual remastered special editions, this was worth the upgrade.

But, there was nothing.

Published on May 13 2008 by stryper

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome story.......but the poorest of video quality
Published 10 months ago by vernoinferno

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 DISC DVD SET FROM 2008 OF - ANNE OF GREEN GABLES - A REVIEW, May 13 2008
stryper "stryper" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

But, there was nothing.

So I took the plunge (it helped that the Costco here in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, had the set on sale for $47.99 Canadian, cheaper then even the official site was selling it for) and now, here's what you need to know.

First off, the video presentation of the films is the exact same as the individual remastered special edition DVD from years back.

Meaning it's watchable, but not the best picture quality out there.

One of the reasons for this is that the first two mini series where filmed on 16mm film stock, thus creating a slightly grainy picture.

I had hoped that since the extras on the discs where transported onto the fifth disc, that the freed up space would have allowed for better compression, and thus, better picture quality, but that is not the case.

Okay, so lets list the pros and cons of this set:

Pros:

* All the discs are single sided (not double sided like the second and third mini series DVD's in the individual sets)
* There's a nice hour plus making of retrospective with Kevin Sullivan and some of the cast members
* A nice booklet with production notes and pictures, comes with the set
* The price is less than the collective price of purchasing the three mini series DVD's individually

Cons:

* The picture hasn't been improved
* Other than the retrospective documentary, a ten minute fluff piece on the author, and the missing Morilla's Death episode (which I have yet to watch, so I can't comment on it at the present) everything else is the same as the last incarnations of the DVD's

Of note, all of the extras from the previous DVD's have been carried over including Megan Follows screen test, and are all on the fifth disc.

So if you don't already own the individual special edition DVD's, then this set is the way to go, and if you already own the individual DVD's and want more extras, then this new set is worth the upgrade, otherwise this set can be skipped.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Canadian Spirit!, May 14 2013
Since these movies were released in 1985, when I was 7 years old, I have watched and enjoyed them! I am soooo happy to finally have the 'Anne Trilogy' part of my movie collection! I never get tired of watching this series over and over, they give me such a warm feeling inside and remind me of a more simple time. These movies also fill me with our true Canadian spirit! Just fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars I am torn on this review... some of it was fantastic, some of it was dreadful, Jan. 25 2012
killerwhaletank - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
The Anne of Green Gables movie and the Sequel are worth owning this DVD because the movies are that good. HOWEVER, the DVD transfer of both of those movies is terrible, my VHS had better quality. Sullivan Entertainment has recently released restored/remastered versions of these movies that have addressed as many of the quality issues as possible, and I've heard that fans are pleased with result. Before buying this series, I might investigate finding the remastered edition... too bad Amazon does not have them available here, I'd order them in a heartbeat.

The other bad part is that this trilogy contains the third Anne movie which is the biggest waste of time on the planet. If it were cheaper for me to have bought the first two movies alone I'd have done it just to avoid the third piece of junk, but it was cheaper to get the set at Costco.

So... first two are great movies with bad transfers, the third is just a bad movie period. I haven't watched the extras disc so I can't comment on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome story.......but the poorest of video quality, Sept. 1 2013
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
This is such an awesome classic, I can't believe no one has remastered this from the original god awfull DVD into Bluray. On our HD Panasonic TV the quality of our DVD is so poor the blacks seem like they have some kind of insects crawling all over them. This is such a heartwarming and well acted series, I can't believe the quality is so poor, somebody please do this classic right and make this watchable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne of Green GablesTrilogy, March 10 2013
This is my favourite movie of all times. I had it in VHS format, but wanted to have it in DVD format, so I was thankful to have been able to find it. I realize that the last movie in the series does not follow the author's books, but the storyline is still lovely. Megan Follows is really a Canadian icon and does a beautiful job of portraying Anne. I really can't envision Anne being anyone else. I look forward to watching the first 2 movies with my daughter in the near future and then the final one when she is a little bit older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied with my purchase, Dec 20 2011
Very satisfied. Would recommend this seller to everyone! So far I have not had any problem with the purchases I have ordered on Amazon. It is always of top quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anne of Green Gables series dvd, April 12 2012
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
This is a classic Canadian story that has captured the imaginations of people all over the world. Megan Fellows becomes Anne in this mini series about an orphan girl taken in by an elderly brother and sister in rural Prince Edward Island at the turn of the century. They had been looking to adopt a boy to assist with the farming that was becoming too difficult for brother Matthew. But it was Matthew who first connected with a very intelligent chatty girl who arrived with precious little in a worn carpet bag at the train station. Anne's over active imagination, and need for drama is the cause for many mis-adventures. The box set includes all the sequels that follow Anne's journey of life. It is not action packed, and doesn't contain an evil anti Anne. It is about how the inclusion of an orphan girl changed the world for two aging siblings who had lived with little joy in their lives. It is also about the realization of potential for a young orphan girl who was given a chance to have a family. It is awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, June 16 2014
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
Classic, Always Loved. Will be loved by future generations. Bought for gift for someone special, who will enjoy and pass on.

5.0 out of 5 stars family love this, April 25 2014
a rarity thank you for the great buy my family loves this. I got to show them the stuff i grew up on

5.0 out of 5 stars Re; I am impressed, April 4 2014
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (DVD)
This was purchased as a birthday present for my little girl's 12th. I was hoping it would arrive in time just as advertised. To my joy it arrived within the given time, on time, and in excellent condition. I recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Green Gables by Kevin Sullivan (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 89.99 CDN$ 55.48