Most helpful positive review
138 of 140 people found the following review helpful
5 DISC DVD SET FROM 2008 OF - ANNE OF GREEN GABLES - A REVIEW
on May 13, 2008
Before I purchased this set I spent some time on the Internet looking for any kind of review for this item, to see whether or not, since I already owned the individual remastered special editions, this was worth the upgrade.
But, there was nothing.
So I took the plunge (it helped that the Costco here in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, had the set on sale for $47.99 Canadian, cheaper then even the official site was selling it for) and now, here's what you need to know.
First off, the video presentation of the films is the exact same as the individual remastered special edition DVD from years back.
Meaning it's watchable, but not the best picture quality out there.
One of the reasons for this is that the first two mini series where filmed on 16mm film stock, thus creating a slightly grainy picture.
I had hoped that since the extras on the discs where transported onto the fifth disc, that the freed up space would have allowed for better compression, and thus, better picture quality, but that is not the case.
Okay, so lets list the pros and cons of this set:
* All the discs are single sided (not double sided like the second and third mini series DVD's in the individual sets)
* There's a nice hour plus making of retrospective with Kevin Sullivan and some of the cast members
* A nice booklet with production notes and pictures, comes with the set
* The price is less than the collective price of purchasing the three mini series DVD's individually
* The picture hasn't been improved
* Other than the retrospective documentary, a ten minute fluff piece on the author, and the missing Morilla's Death episode (which I have yet to watch, so I can't comment on it at the present) everything else is the same as the last incarnations of the DVD's
Of note, all of the extras from the previous DVD's have been carried over including Megan Follows screen test, and are all on the fifth disc.
So if you don't already own the individual special edition DVD's, then this set is the way to go, and if you already own the individual DVD's and want more extras, then this new set is worth the upgrade, otherwise this set can be skipped.
Hope this helps.