5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Tres rapide
Published 10 days ago by stephanie audet

3.0 out of 5 stars Good or Bad? Disney's "101 Dalmations"
To be perfectly honest, "101 Dalmations does NOT rank high on my list of Disney Favorites, and I do own every DVD & VHS released to date...
The Quality of the movie is stellar, and the sound is wonderful.
If you are a VHSer, I wouldn't worry about buying this DVD. There no extras, games, etc., and isn't much different that the VHS edition... except...
Published on June 21 2000 by Dylan Reardon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12 2014
Tres rapide

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie!, May 15 2014
This review is from: 101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (DVD)
I bought this movie for my niece and it showed up in mint condition and she loves it!! I am sure she will wear it out soon enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG AWESOME!, May 2 2014
This review is from: 101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (DVD)
I was just happy I was able to find a DVD version of 101 Dalmatians. Quality was great and I got it in what I thought was RECORD time! Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for a Disney collection!, April 30 2014
This review is from: 101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (DVD)
I had forgotten how this movie even went. I was not disappointed with the purchase and a bonus of Selena Gomez singing the best song of the DVD as an extra!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, only one disappointment., March 26 2014
This review is from: 101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (DVD)
Movie was everything we expected----unfortunately, the second disc with all the special features, activities, games, etc. was cracked and unplayable----but the company gave us a full refund very quickly---so no complaints other than being a little disappointed the grandkids won't get to see/try the games and activities. Will readily deal with this supplier again.

5.0 out of 5 stars 101 Dalmations in DVD, Nov. 16 2013
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (DVD)
This is another movie for my "Walt Disney Animated Collection" that I have. When I watched it last night, I really enjoyed it and for the first time -- in I don't know how many years -- I got a chance to watch it again but on DVD this time AND in the comfort of my own home, (as I've never been really big on going to theatres) so this was a real treat!

In this movie as well, you will recognize many familiar voices that have also done roles in some of the other Walt Disney animated movies, such as The Sword in the Stone,Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, et. al. If you have enjoyed those animated movies as much as I have, you will enjoy this one too! I have no regrets!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, Feb. 4 2013
This review is from: 101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (DVD)
Fabulous story, fabulous movie and totally entertaining from start to finish.

Children and adults alike will enjoy this movie.

My daughter collects Disney movies and rewards so that was the purpose of the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars 101 Dalmatians, Dec 19 2012
This review is from: 101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (DVD)
101 Dalmatians the movie, We are replacing the movie in VHS with the movie in DVD for a Christmas present .

5.0 out of 5 stars "101 Dalmatians," 2-DVDs, and 6,469,952 spots, March 2 2008
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (DVD)
"101 Dalmatians" was the first movie that I took my son to see in a movie theater. He could not have had any idea of what sort of magical place we were walking into with all those rows of seats and the giant curtain (this was a classic movie palace in Champaign, Illinois, with a gigantic screen and all of the seats laid out in a horizontal rectangle rather than the traditional vertical arrangement). I think the first movie I saw in a movie theater was "Pinocchio," although I might be wrong. I do remember that the first movie I saw that was neither at the drive-in nor at the base theater was "Mary Poppins." We drove to some town near the base and had to wait in line during the showing we had intended to see in order to actually get in to the one after that. Decades later when Disney released "Mary Poppins" for the last time in theaters I finally got to see it again, and remembering how great it had been that first time many years ago was something of an emotional experience. I wonder if my son will have anything like that reaction when he sees "101 Dalmatians" on DVD; after all, it is not quite the same.

The story here should be familiar to most. Dog (Pongo) meets dog Purdy) and helps boy meet girl. The dogs have puppies and the evil Cruella De Vil wants to buy the puppies to make a fur coat, thereby giving rise to a generation of children who grow up to be anti-fur. Cruella arranges for the puppies to be puppynapped, at which point Pongo and Purdy go off to the rescue, aided and abetted by a nice collection of supporting animal characters as the story goes on to reveal the meaning of the title (the movie is both anti-fur and pro-adoption). The tale is relatively simple simply, but it is hard not to have 99 spotted puppies and not be rather charming, espcially given the dedication of the Disney studio to giving each of the original puppies their own personalities (and patterns of spots).

This is the eleventh release of Disney's Platinum Editions, and in their effort to update the idea that the studio's films are something special, Disney has been loading up these DVDs with a quantity and quality of extras that make the folks putting out the Criterion Collection editions seem like pikers. There are two pop-up tracks with 101 trivia facts, the first geared for the family and the second intended for the family (somebody actually counted all of the dogs' spots throughout the movie). Disc One also has another one of those teeny-bopper music videos with Selena Gomez of "Hannah Montana" doing "an all-new rocking version" of "Cruella De Vil" (Like there was an old rocking version). There are more treats to be found on Disc Two divided in Games & Activities (e.g., Puppy Profiler, "101 Dalmatians" Fun With Language Games), Music & More (deleted songs, extended versions, and the "Kanine Krunchies" Jingle), and Backstage Disney. That last one has a half-hour featurette on the innovative art work of the film, "Cruella De Vil: Drawn to Be Bad," a reenactment of the correspondence between Walt Disney and author Dodie Smith, and an assortment of trailers, radio and TV spots. In short, there is way too much here to get through in one sitting. Final Note: "Sleeping Beauty" is due for a Fall release this year and the lucky 13th Platinum Edition will finally be "Pinocchio."

5.0 out of 5 stars The special features make it even more entertaining., March 4 2008
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (DVD)
Note: This review is of the most recently issued (2008) version.

I find it difficult to believe that it has been 47 years since this film first appeared. (I also find it difficult to believe that I now have ten grandchildren with whom to watch it.) Credit the Disney organization with providing with this latest restored version a generous selection of bonus features that substantially increase the pleasure of seeing this classic film once again. They include a DVD-ROM of a "Virtual Dalmatians Game," "Op-Up Trivia Facts," and "The Making of One Hundred and One Dalmations," and correspondence between "Sincerely yours, Walt Disney" and Dodie Smith, author of the novel on which the film is based.

The basic plot involves two lonely dalmatians (Pongo and Perdita) who meet in a London park and whose owners then meet and marry. Over time, the dalmatians become parents of 15 puppies who are stolen by Cruella De Vil who is determined to make a fur coat out of their skins. That doesn't happen, of course, but younger children get all caught up in efforts to rescue the puppies (at least when viewing the film for the first time) just as they do when hoping that Pinocchio will be reunited with Gepetto, that Snow White will awaken from her deep sleep, and that Belle and the Beast will live happily ever after. In the best of Disney's animated features, there always seems to be a subtext of menace and this film is no exception. When observing Cruella De Vil's behavior, many of those in my generation will be reminded of Gloria Swanson's portrayal of Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard. In terms of quality of its story, art, and music, 101 Dalmatians deserves to be ranked among Disney's finest animated films. The special features offer an exceptional "bonus."

My only concern, frankly, is that once again, many adults who are charmed by the Dalmatian puppies will decide -- or feel great pressure from children -- to purchase one. They would be well-advised to learn all about the breed first. Perhaps the next time around, Disney could add a special feature that provides such information. Just a thought....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition)
101 Dalmatians (2-Disc Platinum Edition) by Wolfgang Reitherman (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 36.99 CDN$ 28.95