5.0 out of 5 stars Newhart - best sitcom of the 1980s, March 8 2008
Quinn (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Newhart: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I have waited a VERY long time for this sitcom to finally come out on DVD. This is a very funny show; Bob Newhart and the cast (Larry, Darryl & Darryl come to mind) make it an excellant sitcom of the 1980's. Laidback and a dry sense of humour. I can't imagine why it would take so long to get this series started onto DVDs. A couple of minor quibbles; I would have preferred if the theme song would be played when you are on the main menu. When I started watching the show, they have changed the font of the onscreen credits. Again a minor detail but I liked the way the word Newhart appeared when it comes up at the beginning of the show. Probably just me but I give this show five stars without question.

5.0 out of 5 stars Newhart-season 1, May 30 2008
This review is from: Newhart: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I have been waiting for this to come out and was not disappointed. Bob Newhart has the gift of dry humor, each member of the cast is amazing in their roles! The only thing I didn't like is that it came to an end. Waiting for the next season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for more seasons?!, Sept. 5 2008
S. Azer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Newhart: The Complete First Season (DVD)
This is one of the most funny shows in history - Please release the remaining seasons!

Note that seasons are also missing for the Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart shows.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good season, Sept. 12 2009
D. Marois (Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Newhart: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Newhart was not as funny as The Bob Newhart Show but it was still a great sitcom with a great cast - and some hilarious characters (Larry, Darryl and Darryl among others!). And this first season of Newhart is not the best so what's the problem with the wait, since it gets better? Well, maybe the fact that they are asking $50 is a good reason for them not selling enough copies to justify putting out season 2? Come on shysters, get with the program (no pun intended) and price this series right. Surely you can't deprive us of one of the most original series endings in TV history.

There's a great gag in season 1: Dick is supposed to be writing but his wife Joanna catches him listening to a TV show on his headphones. When she turns up the sound we hear the theme song from the original Bob Hewhart series. She looks at him and asks: "You're favorite show is ." They bleeped the name of the show (probably because it played on another network - you know how childish network people are!) but of course we know what she says. Classic.

And who can forget Larry (played by William Sanderson who was as serious as he was in Blade Runner but a lot funnier!), Darryl and Darryl along with the over-the-top Kirk? I missed Jennifer Holmes as Leslie in the later seasons. Juia Duffy was great as Stephanie but Leslie had a grounding effect on the rest of the cast who were pretty much already wacky. Another anchor for the show was the great Tom Poston - the way he delivered his lines was without peer. And Peter Scolari's Michael was a perfect foil to Julia's Stephanie.

One could write all day about a show like this but why don't you rent the DVD's if you can and decide whether $50 is worth the price for the long term.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really REALLY like that series, Oct. 8 2014
This review is from: Newhart: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I really REALLY like that series. Even though I like the other Seasons, the first one is my very favourite one.
The humour of that series set in a great old inn placed in a beautiful Vermont cannot be compared to any of the other comedies. It is amusing , yet with a touch of rest (for me anyway ) 
I watched the whole season and had no problems with any of the discs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still A Terrific Show, Oct. 27 2011
I used to watch this show all the time when I was a kid (what kind of 10 year watches a sitcom about a psychiatrist?). But coming back to the series on DVD, I was pleased to find that it held up well. The characters are still entertaining and the situations are funny. There are some anachronisms that are amusing to watch, so it appeals to me on a lot of levels. Now I have to watch the 1980s Newhart Show and see how that holds up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Newhart: The Complete First Season, May 21 2014
This review is from: Newhart: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I have always loved this show. Also liked his first series. I really do love his dry sense of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars old is not always bad, March 6 2014
This review is from: Newhart: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I have always enjoyed Bob Newhart's way of delivering humor, and this was no exception. It's old humor, but still makes you laugh, a simpler time, with no foul language, usually had a lesson in there somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, Jan. 30 2014
This review is from: Newhart: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I think Bob Newhart is hysterical but this show in particular was my favorite. Glad I found it...now I just have to wait for the other season to come down in price

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, April 10 2011
R. MacIvor (Belleville, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Who doesn't like Bob Newhart? This dvd shows the beginning episodes of his series as a psychologist. Once we've enjoyed this one, I'll have to go looking for the series at the Inn in Vermont!

Newhart: The Complete First Season
Newhart: The Complete First Season by Will Mackenzie (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 21.98 CDN$ 11.99