5.0 out of 5 stars Probably Bill Murray's best movie
This movie has several layers, not all of which were apparent to me at first viewing.

Published on Sept. 15 2012 by L. Power

3.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty good but overrated.
Published on March 21 2004 by guillermoj

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably Bill Murray's best movie, Sept. 15 2012
Inkhorn "Innerchi" (Huntingdon Beach) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Groundhog Day 15th Anniversary Edition Bilingual (DVD)

On a surface level, it's an outstanding romantic comedy, where Bill Murray's cynical character has to live the same day over and over. It's time travel back to the same day. It's all done very humorously. Yet as you peel away the layers, and look deeper there is a profound message to be discovered.

Have you ever felt stuck in your life, and no matter what you do, it does not seem to make any difference. You get frustrated, desperate, even depressed. Then you make a decision to solve the problem no matter what. This movie is a metaphor for self improvement. Phil's journey is our journey.

So, we see the journey this character takes from cynical, sarcastic and negative, and self absorbed, and not likable. Then he is presented with the same situations over and over and is forced to adapt, or be forever stuck.

Some of the lessons here include: you create your own experiences, so when you change your perceptions you change your reality, the transforming power of true love, all change comes from within. When you change your view of the world from being cynical selfish, and exploitive to truly loving and compassionate, the world responds to that change, and so do people.

The character does play with the day on a surface level at first, and eventually improves how the day goes, although he has certain aspects under control, other issues such as how to seduce the Andie McDowell character remain elusive, because his motives are transparent. The movie keeps going in interesting and amusing ways.

In the latter part of the movie he is saving the same person's life every day, he has gone from not playing piano to a professional standard piano player. Of Course, he has also kidnapped a groundhog, but that was just a phase. In the end, he masters his reality, and is ready to move on.

If you're like me this movie clicks with you and you will think about it for a long time afterwards. I consider this to be Bill Murray's best movie, and I highly recommend it. If you found this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars a bitter man find himself relieving the same day over and over again until he gets it right (4.5/5), Aug. 21 2007
this movie never loses it's charm and effect,even after repeated
viewing.it's the story of a bitter,lonely arrogant,empty man (Bill
Murray)who find himself reliving the same day(Groundhog Day) over and
over again.each time he goes through he begins a slow transformation
until he learns what life really means.he becomes a better man for the
experience.Andie MacDowell plays the love interest and Chris Elliott
put in a good supporting performance.also has this movie is at it's
heart a life lesson movie,a morality fable,if you will.many of these
types of movies are maudlin and inspirational ad naseum.not this one.it
manages to avoid going down that route.i think this is due to the
strong writing and direction.Danny Rubin wrote the story,and he and
Harold Ramis co wrote the screen play.Ramis also directed the
film.what's also good about this film are it's light comedic touches
and even some flat out hilarious moments. 4.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, Nov. 21 2007
It is said that if we don't learn from history we are bound to repeat it. Could it be that the actors journey in this movie shows a little glimpse as to the souls journey if we assume that we have a soul? That we only really graduate once we have learned the lessons that are here on this planet and that otherwise we will just get reincarnated over and over and given another chance at learning.

Initially the character, once he realises that he is "stuck" starts abusing his power and sees how he can fulfill his hedonistic desires by manipulating events and people. As he gets bored with himself and his tricks, he discovers the creative principle, and starts on the journey of serving others and contribute to life and thus he starts learning.

So this movie had a strong effect on me and I rate it highly both because it a highly entertaining movie, which is well acted, but especially because of the deeper layer that is there to be seen.

I would recommend the book "The Secret History of the World and How to Get Out Alive" by Laura Knight-Jadczyk, as it explores in depth the idea that life is a school, where we have the possibility to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, Nov. 21 2007
This review is from: Groundhog Day (VHS Tape)

5.0 out of 5 stars Murray the Marvellous...,, Aug. 17 2007
Bill Murray is superbly cast as the nasty but somehow likeable Phil Connors, who is on what he perceives to be the assignment from Hell. He has been sent to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, to cover the Groundhog Day festival. As if things could not get any worse, Phil finds himself trapped in Hell as he is forced to live this day over and over and over again. Phil goes through a few stages of thinking: to use this reoccurring nightmare to chat up woman or to do whatever he wants on this day without recriminations. (He has a few stabs at suicide, managing to kill himself and the groundhog on one occasion.) His final thought, and the one that will eventually save him, is to use this opportunity to make a difference and woo his colleague Rita (Andie MacDowell). In theory, this film could have been monotonous drivel, showing you the same situations over and over again, but clever writing and excellent editing saved the viewing public from this. So we are shown a comedy with laugh-out-loud jokes and a few moments of subtle pathos.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty good but overrated., March 21 2004
guillermoj (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This is a universally loved movie which for some reason I've never really wanted to see, but decided that, as a fan of great movies, I had to give it a chance. The film has a great premise and it is executed better than I had anticipated. All in all I found it to be a likeable movie but certainly not the comedic masterpiece that the vast majority of people and reviewers describe this to be.
I know that most who read this will probably think that I must be nuts for just liking this movie, but I just can't see it in the same hemisphere as "Tootsie" (as some have suggested) or even other great low-brown comedies starring Bill Murray. I for one found "Caddyshack", "Stripes" and even "Meatballs" to be hilarious, whereas GD to me seems to be trying to be all things to all people. It's not anywhere as funny, warm, thought provoking or outrageous as it should have been. Since I hate it when reviewers tell to much about a movie, I won't reveal much, but anyone with a heartbeat probably knows that the premise centers around Bill Murray's weatherman character, who finds himself waking up to the very same day over and over again, turning around the general perception that the most horrible thing about life is not knowing what's going to happen next. Here the character knows all too well what will happen and he has the opportunity to see how his actions may or may not have a material impact on said day.
Director Harold Ramis has a very difficult task in trying to not repeat himself too often or the movie would be very tedious. He mostly succeeds by not going back to the well too often and finds the right balance of choosing which moments warrant re-executing and moving the story along by giving us a window to the character's full day. The movie manages to generate a few mild laughs (mostly via its great supporting characters who would be right at home in an episode of "Newhart") and avoids getting too syrupy while making apparently hitting its target. My lack of enthusiasm for the movie comes almost exclusively from Bill Murray's performance as only in the latter part of the film does he come across in a credible way. I found his early acerbic scenes to be almost phoned in as he has done this much better before. Although we are not supposed to like him, I simply found him annoying and not even credible until later in the movie. Andie MacDowell does a very good job as his potentially romantic sidekick and brings a sweetness to a role that is not much on paper. I was disappointed as to how unfunny Chris Elliott was here. Elliott is generally one to make something out of nothing, but here he is so reigned in that he leaves no impression.
Notwithstanding its limitations, this is a movie that you will probably enjoy if you don't go into it with any expectations. It's multilayered, not pretentious, and basically does a good job of executing what it set out to do. Good, yes... Masterpiece....No. I can see the "Not Helpful" tabulations coming from hard-core fans, but I really like this forum and the reviews of others have exposed me to so many different movies/music that I would have never found on my own, but also has helped me stay away from things that reviewers found not so good. In this case, I just want to offer a different perspective on a movie that is so loved by many but just did not do it for me as I would have liked it to be much darker or sunnier, but as it stands it's just cute and passable, which is more than one can say about most movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars great movie, but a disappointing special edition DVD, April 4 2002
Bethany Gronberg "bethany actually" (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This is, of course, one of the best Bill Murray movies out there. However, a large part of the reason I buy or rent DVDs is for the extras, and on this DVD, they are just not worth it.
Having listened to excellent commentaries by Harold Ramis before (Bedazzled and Analyze This), I expected this one to be just as good or better, since this is one of my favorite movies. However, the commentary is a disappointment overall. There are a few interesting tidbits here and there, but there are also stretches throughout the movie where Ramis says nothing at all, and times when he recites the dialogue with the actors. Obviously this movie meant a lot to him, and he is understandably entertained by it, but that's not what a commentary is supposed to be about.
There is also a new 25-minute documentary about the making of the movie, which is a nice extra, but nothing great.
If you are a huge fan of this movie, you might want to rent it just for the chance to hear the commentary once and watch the documentary, but if I were you, I wouldn't waste my money buying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Six more weeks of extras needed...., Oct. 22 2003
(Instead of reviewing a film you probably already know, I stick to DVD special features)
Those Extras:
Commentary: Great job from Ramis, who covers all technical, location and casting aspects of this favorite. Pretty much no stone unturned. Ramis is really coming off as one of the better directors to handle DVD running commentaries.
New Interviews: Only half good. I'm getting really sick of the star of the movie not showing up to talk about it. Instead we get McDowell and Tobolowsky---who comes off a little too into the movie---along with Ramis and writer Rubin. The HBO original BTS would've really bouyed this. Glad I taped it back then :).
Overall: Sorry to say that's it. Lacking the ususal fun stuff of a Collector's Edition leaves a fan disappointed. Ramis nearly saves that with his fine effort on the audio track.

3.0 out of 5 stars Special Edition Not So Special, Feb. 16 2002
By A Customer
This is one of my all time favorite movies and I was very excited to see it released as a "Special Edition" DVD.
Unfortunately, while it's still a GREAT story -- this version of the DVD really doesn't have that many whistles and bells. It gives you the option to have Harold Ramis (the director) do a voice over during the movie and it has a brief documentary about the concept behind the movie. Andie McDowell and the guy who plays "Ned the Insurance Man" were the only actors they got to speak about the making of this movie. It was very disappointing to have Bill Murray missing, or even Chris Elliot for that matter.
One would think this movie had plenty of funny outakes -- but they are AWOL as well.
Buy this DVD if you love the movie "Groundhog Day" -- but don't expect much in the way of extras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundhog Day, Jan. 8 2012
This review is from: Groundhog Day 15th Anniversary Edition Bilingual (DVD)
I've probably seen this movie as many times as February 2 repeats in the movie! It's a classic and I enjoy it immensely every time I watch it. Bill Murray and Andie McDowell are great, as are the supporting actors. An original story line and very entertaining.

Groundhog Day 15th Anniversary Edition Bilingual