4.0 out of 5 stars Bouquets of sharpened pencils, indeed
Published on July 19 2004 by Toni Kamsler

3.0 out of 5 stars I know, I know...
I know what you're thinking. Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Greg Kinnear. You think you're too good for this movie, don't you? It's the sappiest, dumpiest little half-a-flick ever reared by Nora Ephron. Romantic comedies suck. Do I paint a correct picture, or do I exagerate? Well I think you're just cinematically jaded.
Yeah, that's right! I said it!
A lifetime of Vietnam...
Published on July 15 2004 by Templeton C. Moss

4.0 out of 5 stars Bouquets of sharpened pencils, indeed, July 19 2004
Toni Kamsler (Smithtown, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You've Got Mail (Widescreen) (DVD)
Here's the main and completely irrelevant reason to love this movie: New York City in the fall. Honestly, it should have no bearing whatsoever on the plot, but it does -- and it's impossible not to fall in love with the bright, sunshiny, orange-leaved sheer beauty of the city encapsulated in this movie. Without even resorting to shots of Central Park in all its glory (and really, who can resist that?), "You've Got Mail" takes you on a lovely scenic tour of the Upper West Side, Starbucks and all. Who can resist the street fairs, the parks, the stores, the dock? It's picture-perfect, and if it's a bit surreal, I won't admit it: New York really is rather lovely in the fall.
Aside from making me want to run away to the Big Apple and work in the children's section at Fox Books, "You've Got Mail" also features Meg Ryan at her most adorable ("Aren't daisies just the friendliest flower?"), Tom Hanks at his most charming, and a terrific supporting cast (Greg Kinnear and those typewriters!). The story, a modernized little "remake" of "The Shop Around The Corner", is more fairy tale than realism -- two people fall in love over email, in war in real life, and however can such a thing be solved -- but it's an enchanting story nonetheless. In a time when romance on the web seems all-too-seedy and in reality, sometimes frankly dangerous, this little tale of two people sharing their most intimate thoughts long before they share a single glance is like a breath of fresh air. Sure, the technology's a little faded, but the magic's still there.

4.0 out of 5 stars There's still room for good old-fashioned NY romance, March 20 2000
J. N. Valente "jnscav" (Evora, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You've Got Mail (Widescreen) (DVD)
Not so much a remake (or update) of the remarkable "The Shop Around The Corner" starring James Stewart, as a film that holds well on its own. The Ryan/Hanks chemistry is not quite so magical as in "Sleepless in Seattle", but it's there. Score and location a big boost, as well as the wonderful Jean Stapleton and the stand-out Greg Kinnear. It'll be ths sort of movie you'd fall in love in if you have seen "As Good As It Gets" or the James Stewart original. Except this time the big bad wolf wins (in spite of The Wicard Of Oz hints). 3.5 stars on my book, an extra half-star for Meg Ryan and the sheer fluffiness of it all...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Romantic Comedy, Dec 1 1999
This review is from: Youve Got Mail (VHS Tape)
I really enjoyed You've Got Mail because it was good story combined with two great actors(Hanks and Ryan). I have now seen the movie many times, and I am still yet to tire of the film. This movie has a heartwarming plot with characters that you can really come to like. It is nice to see a film once in while that doesn't focus on extreme violence and other disheartening aspects. I recommend it highly for anyone interested in seeing a movie that makes you feel better and witness a good plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cute, Feel Good Movie..., July 3 1999
R. Beier "RJBME" (Plymouth, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You've Got Mail (Widescreen) (DVD)
I just finsihed watching this movie and it *greatly* exceeded my expectations. I really didn't know what to expect, but since I am a Tom Hanks fan, I figured it couldn't be THAT bad. And to be honest I was pleasantly surprised! The reason I gave it four stars as opposed to five is because I felt the ending was rushed just a little bit too much compared to the rest of the movie and because of the few too many "product placements". Other than that I really enjoyed this movie. I would reccommend this movie to anybody who likes Meg Ryan or Tom Hanks or any body who wants to watch a 'cute' movie with a significant other on a rainy day!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent movie to put in your vault, Aug. 28 2013
Anthony Marinelli "marilread" (toronto on canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You've Got Mail: Deluxe Edition / Vous avez un message : Édition de luxe (Bilingual) (DVD)
The cover on this dvd has tom hanks and meg ryan..its an excellent film..a romance against the back drop of changing social times and big box stores. This film was before the profusion of internet sites, which are a great way for those in smaller towns to feel like they have all the conveniences of big city life..I wont mention a name..this or that site..means although fewer stores are built i can buy anything that you can buy in the big city! Changing times! It hanges why you live in a big city in 2013..these sites are successful since they appeal to elemental needs and the democratic urge/surge we feel in us..occasional we shop? Big box stores..and email..are also transformations..the picture..one of the problems i found was that the director talked of poems..short emails we write short..i thought it might be an introduction thats the whole email..they didnt know any more words or how to put them in a sentence..which is an old joke..length..or lack of..what excites us short or long is excitement..do i want to meet this person..foreplay to a date..i like a date..that is a human thing..just humans enjoy this excitement leading up to conversation and whatever road or lane or chevy that may bring us to and here the changing relationships they split apart form new ties and role play with another and how are we going to change our emails not to mention other aspects of our retinue..and build up to the talk..the date..the mail is a prelude for whats missing..instantaneous..we want things at the snap of a finger..i saw this film years ago and enjoye dit just as much on reviewing the screenplays and acting are great..and in a lengthy commentary and interview..the film seems vault like..and there are social ideas like..are changes good things..newspaper ads are gone, small stores, but books..books are cheaper today..hardcover.than 25 years ago!!..The world was not competitive..here we have europe and america..the big business new Yorker and small store european culture..that old european culture is gone..much of europe is changing..shock waves..and this film discusses this dramatically and shows the change in attitude towards Hanks and his british counterpart Ryan...Hanks is a more fleshed out character not so sensitive..yet able to relate to the Ryan character who sees the new Yorker as a destroyer..or a constructor..and the intimacy of romance..and changing relations..and dissolving one..the marriage was all too ritualistic..like a religion with no emotion..and finding thebrains emotions and excitements poured through the internet..constructing new ties..big stores..internet shopping, email romances..emails and conversations and intimacy rediscovered in this fun film of the changes between america,,and sleepy europe who reluctantly changed to new york shopping..and internet buying..since people worldwide like these choices...find it modern..fits their lifestyle..and the change between the brash new yorker and quiet smaller europe even the personalities..what really is the coldness which separates them at first..and what finally bridges the gap..thats the movie..good movie fun to watch..who doesnt shop at these large book stores..enjoyable social comedy on change in shopping culture of america and europe...Good film

5.0 out of 5 stars Small versus big, Aug. 14 2013
The age old question of the small independent little shop around the corner versus the big bad megastore that takes over the little guy and the age old question : Is this what we want ? But romance blossoms in the air.

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusing experience, but good, nonetheless., April 7 2013
The package arrived on time, and was in good condition. I have yet to watch the movie to make sure it doesn't skip and it is the right movie! I'm not sure what "O-Sleeve Deluxe Edition" is supposed to mean, but I'm fairly certain that's not what I received!

4.0 out of 5 stars classic, Dec 16 2012
I love this movie. Hanks and Ryan are great togeather. Is a great story plot and not dragging in any area

5.0 out of 5 stars My Review on You've Got Mail, Nov. 28 2012
I received this product in great condition. And I had never seen this movie but loved it. It was so amazing, no sex, no swearing, no violence. It was refreshing. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tom & Meg...together again,, Sept. 3 2012
K. L. Craddock "Book, Movie Music Buff" (Victoria, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
A must for love story buffs, Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks make it all look so simple. They have a great chemistry on screen and personalities that make you want to be friends with them. The characters are fun and believable. A awesome loves story and feel-good movie

ARRAY(0xaf053aa4)