4.0 out of 5 stars Stands apart from the animated Justice League TV series.
Published on Jan. 2 2008 by Alex Boyd

1.0 out of 5 stars Uh huh... (yawn)
This movie starts with a great premise. Put the Justice Leaguers in the 50s, make the story the forming of the team, make some of them more falable & shine the spotlight on some secondary characters. Only thing missing is a solid plot, both proper character and story development and a decent pace.

I came to this movie fresh, without knowing it was a clone of...
Published 19 months ago by Michael

4.0 out of 5 stars Stands apart from the animated Justice League TV series., Jan. 2 2008
Alex Boyd (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Justice League: New Frontier is the second in a series of stand alone animated films (the first was Superman: Doomsday), and is a direct to video adaptation of the New Frontier comic by award winning writer and artist Darwyn Cooke, who was involved with this film as one of the writers and producers. Producer Bruce Timm was involved (the man behind the Justice League TV series) but this is a very different effort.

Set in the 1950s, the story features the origins of the Justice League heroes during an optimistic but still troubled time, with acknowledgments of the civil rights movement and paranoia about communism. We follow the origin story of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern as well as the Martian Manhunter, though Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Flash are also prominently featured. And of course, we get their formation as a team for the first time against a threat too great for anything but a combined effort.

Cooke is a fan of the "Silver Age" of comics, and there are a few more obscure comic characters making brief appearances too. As far as the main cast, it's Kyle MacLachlan (Twin Peaks) as Superman, Jeremy Sisto (Six Feet Under) as Batman, Lucy Lawless (Xena) as Wonder Woman, Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser) as The Flash and David Boreanaz (Angel) as Green Lantern. The voice work is terrific, and even though Batman isn't in much of the film, Jeremy Sisto makes a huge new impression. The animation ranges from excellent to outstanding, and I think the retro montage created for the opening credits is worth the price of admission alone.

It should be noted this isn't for very young children, there's no swearing but there's an opening where an unknown character finishes writing a book about the malevolent force, and then shoots himself in the head. None of the bloodshed is terribly graphic, but it's there so the film is rated PG-13 for violence. Personally, I'm glad to see animation being produced for adults, and I think it's a great idea to adapt completely different comics and graphic novels into animated films, giving us different perspectives on these timeless characters. This is a sincere effort to make a worthwhile film, and I hope it finds some support out there.

Available as a single disc, with commentaries and some extras, or a 2-disc special edition, which adds two more documentaries (I can't find online how long they'll be) and three episodes of the Justice League animated TV series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not as good as the comic book., Feb. 28 2008
D. Mckenzie "DMcK" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a great adaptation of the comic book. The animation mirrors the art of the book. The acting is good, especially Jeremy Sisto's interesting take on Batman. What a voice! Yet, the film felt a bit too short. If you have read the book, it takes its time building up the story and the characters, so that at the climax we actually feel for them. The book produced a lot of emotion for me. The film just didn't quite achieve that feeling, and that is a shame. If the producers had just allowed more time for the story, this could have been a truly great film -- a classic. That's why I'm giving it 4 stars.

It is a lot (a lot) better than the other animated comic book adaptations out there though. Worth purchasing. If only the Justice League animated series had taken some notes from this work.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie, Aug. 20 2012
This review is from: Justice League: The New Frontier (Special Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is one of my favorite super hero movies. It gives the best story of the origin of green lantern, whom happens to be one of my favorite super Heros. Everyone of my friends are greatly impressed with it on its retro look and feel to it. The story works great and the animation is well done. The movie has everything in it that even a novice fan would enjoy. It may seem like I am just rambling on, but this is one movie I tend to watch over and over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice take on characters that have tonnes of exposure, April 9 2010
I enjoyed this! It was nice to see the justice leaguers done in a newer fashion where even Superman was done differently than the numerous other intrepretations had dipicted him.
Nice to see an animated Flash Barry Allen, I love Wally West, but the use of Barry made the Flash a little more serious in tone.
It was cool to see Wonder Woman as a physically intimidating person, & not the really sultry character potrayed in her own movie.

drawback- Once again, I wish WB would make these movies about 20-30 minutes longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply amazing stand alone movie that's not for the kids, Sept. 5 2008
Paul Wilson "Paul" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
The Justice League purists will probably dislike this movie. But I for one, rank this in my top three of all time for animated films. I crave movies that are driven by storylines, whether they are fiction or non fiction or both. This movie takes place in the 50's and touches upon real life issues such as the cold war, racism, ignorance etc. Basically, anybody whose politically right wing will probably hate this film. If you like real issues mixed in with your favourite heroes...you'll be like me and love this film. It's not for the young kids though. I really hope they make "Kingdom Come" as the next Justice League movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darwyn Cooke Signed My Copy, May 14 2014
im so glad that i got this from amazon, it shipped in less than a day, i got it in time for TCAF 2014, Darwyn Cooke was there and he signed this bluray and my comics and a hardcover artbook of his, he is so great, i made a post on my blog, its based out of toronto, check it out - the post has a pic of my Amazon Bluray of Justice League that Darwyn signed for me: [...] Thank you amazon for perfect service!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Uh huh... (yawn), Jan. 17 2013
Michael (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I came to this movie fresh, without knowing it was a clone of the comic book storyline. After learning this from "DMcK"'s review, it makes perfect sense. It's a stilted, unfocussed, unfeeling bore of a movie that wastes the great voice acting of the Green Lantern, Flash, Batman & Wonder Woman characters. I kept waiting for good parts that would make the super hero geek in me grin like an idiot, they never came. More time should've been spent making this it's own movie instead of following the comic so closely.

I didn't hate this, I was more indifferent. I found I just didn't care when the credits started rolling.

If you want to see a terrific translation, check out Planet Hulk. The Hulk character never blew me away, but THAT movie shows how these movies should be done.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing all-around, Aug. 6 2012
Poor voice acting (with a few exceptions), poor character designs, lack of a true plot throughout the movie... This is the worst DC animated movie I've seen. I understand they were trying something new (Watchmen, but with the Justice League), but it just didn't work. In fact, why is it even called the Justice League when they really aren't a team even at the end of the movie. The few bright spots were David Boreanaz and Phil Morris with their voice acting. Other than that, I was not thrilled with the voice cast. Instead of hiring "names", as in people who were famous a decade or two ago, they should hire the best voice actors. Very few "names" are even adequate voice actors. You wouldn't hire a voice actor to be a lead in a movie, so why hire a movie actor to do voice work? Some people like it but I don't.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a big disappointment and waste of money, Feb. 5 2013
I purchased this after watching the Justice League series (JLA + JLU) as well as several stand alone movies form them (Public enemies, Doom, Crisis of two earths, etc) so I expected this to be a decent movie at least.

My expectations fell way way to the ground. After I was done watching it I was left with a "wow this wasn't good at all, what a waste of money" I am happy to have only paid 6$ for it while it was on special and it isn't even worth that amoutn of money.

Story and characters, well I just couldn't connect with them. If as a viewer I can't connect, well I could care less what happens to them. Plus I found the voices a bit strange since these were not the original voice casts, so that got some getting used to.

Overall, rent it maybe? But don't waste money. Doesn't belong in with the rest of the collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars i found it a disappointing origin story of The Justice League, March 18 2008
i may be in the minority here,but i found this animated movie
disappointing.it's basically about the origin of The Justice League but
i didn't feel it was worthy of an origin story.i also thought it was
slow,and i didn't like the story.there isn't a lot of action in this
one,and there's no real threat to the world.there is a threat of
sorts,but i think it was lame.there isn't much in the way of character
development either.i do think the voice talent was right on in this
one,though.i felt the characters and their voices really suited each
other.i have no idea if this origin story reflects the actual origin
from the comic book,since i haven't read the comic.i just know that,for
me, the movie was lacklustre.my vote for Justice League league:The New