1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars The Un-Funhouse: A Terrible Laugh-In Clone, Oct. 26 2011
Tango and Cash "vemmef" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Archies (Archie's Funhouse): The Complete Series (DVD)
My kids (and I) really enjoyed The Archie Show Complete Series (S1) DVD, and since I read that The Archie Show was the top-rated cartoon for the 1968-69 season, we were anxiously awaiting the Season 2 set and more stories from Riverdale.

Unfortunately, someone got the bright idea to fiddle with the "top-rated kid's cartoon", and in quite bizarre fashion, switched it from a cartoon segment format into a Laugh-In clone - with no stories at all, just stupid one-liners and sight gags that even pre-schoolers would find lame. My kids were incredibly disappointed in the retooled show, and have not touched the Archie's Funhouse DVD set since (while watching The Archie Show S1 until the DVD case fell apart). The *only* good thing about this entire "Funhouse" set is that it includes the Sabrina intro TV movie, which the kids and I enjoyed - as it is an actual story with dialogue and a plot.

Why the hugely-successful Archie Show switched to a Laugh-In format for Season 2 is a question that will plague me forever, and it is no surprise that this lame-duck series dropped off the ratings chart and was quickly cancelled afterwards. No series in my memory has fallen off so drastically in so short a time - Archie went from #1 to cancelled in just one year!

The Archies (Archie's Funhouse): The Complete Series