march boutiques-francophones snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store Unlimited cloud storage sports Tools Family

• Trash

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon July 27, 2011
At the time this was hailed as Alice Cooper's "Comeback "album. Trash features an Alice Cooper made for 1989, the catchy commercial songs, the ballads, songs co-written with Desmond Child, and the collaborations with Steven Tyler and Jon Bon Jovi (also Joe Perry, Richie Sambora, Kip Winger and so on) were all attempts to make Alice seem more relevant at the time. The thing is Alice should never have cared about being current or follow trends which is pretty much what he did for "Trash". I can disagree all I want about Trash being a solid return to form but the results are there it did fairly well on the charts and this album gave Alice one of this biggest hits with "Poison".

I feel the opening track and lead single of the album "Poison" is by far the best song here although it's also the most popular. It's just a great big catchy ballad, it helped introduce Alice to a new generation and to this day it's always a live staple in concerts. "Bed of Nails" is in the vein of "Poison" in that it's a slower songs, almost a ballad that rocks a little more than Poison . A highlight of the album. "Spark In The Dark" is catchy and features a riff straight out of Bon Jovi, it's a darker song overall and while it's not the best song here and its subjected to criticism I quite like it. "House of Fire" is a bit more Alice-like and what you would expect from him but is still aimed at being a radio song as most songs from Trash are. "It's Only My Heart Talking" is another ballad, Steven Tyler participates on this one and his presence helps the song and for the time this was a good ballad. I feel those are the best moments here. There are some good moments on Trash but also filler or lesser material like the title track which doesn't cut it in my opinion or even the album closer "I'm Your Gun" which is too pop and doesn't hold up very well over time. Other songs can vary between mediocre to average.

This is the deal with Trash, it's far from Alice's finest moment and it suffers from perhaps too much production and it ends up being more of a pop album. I feel like there's less Alice, it's as if he went into the studio did what he was asked to by the producer or record company.It's truly a product of its time (1989), in fact there are songs that could have been played by just about any other Glam/Hair bands of the era (that said it could be considered a good Glam metal album but its just not really "Alice" which is why some fans were/are disappointed). Alice experimented earlier in the 80's with albums like Zipper Catches Skin, Flush The Fashion and Dada and this one almost does exactly the opposite. While those albums are usually not considered among Cooper's best they were fun experiments and unique to say the least, Trash is very calculated and goes for what's modern and popular and isn't very Alice-like. The album doesn't have an interesting concept unlike most of Alice's albums; the only theme I can find on Trash is love because after all, most of the songs here are love/sexual songs pure and simple. Besides I thought that Constrictor and Raise Your Fist and Yell were comeback records. Yet there are still a few great songs on Trash that makes it worth owning even though it's obviously not Alice's finest record or his best moment.

Needless to say Trash is not Alice's greatest moment. There are few songs on the album that are really good but to be honest there's also filler material and this really isn't one of the best Alice Cooper albums, in fact it's a little far from it. I wouldn't say its "Trash" but it's not a great album either as there is a lot of filler material. This one is for completists and hardcore fans mostly; otherwise I don't think it has much appeal besides "Poison" to the casual listener. Please don't take it as a stab to Alice, I love the man and what he's done, I'd still say it's worth the $6. Trash is I feel, as you may know by now an overrated album.2 /5 stars.
After the strictly heavy metal n' horror sounds of the previous two albums, Constrictor and Raise Your Fist And Yell, Alice decided it was time to get back to more diverse rock and roll sounds. This time he immersed himself in everything that was cool in the late 80's, and created a theme album about sex. Cooper albums usually have themes -- Alice Cooper in school (School's Out), Alice Cooper in hell (Goes To Hell), or Alice Cooper insane (From The Inside). Sex was a new theme for this character.

Alice teamed up with Desmond Child, champion of many Bon Jovi and Aerosmith discs, as well as Mr. Jovi and Mr. Tyler themselves, among others. The result is what I consider to be a weak disc, dated to the times, with only a few strong songs that have held up over the years. Granted, this is not as weak as DaDa, but it is certainly a nadir.

The first track and first single, "Poison", is by far the best song. It is strong because it is based on the riff, and though it is commercial it is not blatantly so. It has a unique sound to it. It's mostly downhill from there. "Spark In The Dark" is unremarkable, and so is the second single "House of Fire". "House of Fire" at least has a catchy chorus, but it is simply too cookie-cutter. You could exchange it with virtually any single from any band's albums in 1989.

"It's Only Heart Talking", which was not written by Alice, is a decent ballad made more remarkable by Steven Tyler's duet. Otherwise, it is forgettable and inferior to later Alice ballads such as "Might As Well Be On Mars" and "Stolen Prayer". Smash hit, though.

The lyrics to "Trash", a duet with JBJ himself and featuring Sambora on guitar, are so bad it's not even funny. "If my love was a lollypop, would you lick it?" Did Jon Bon just say that? "I'm Your Gun" is hardly better.

Special guests include: Tyler, Joe Perry, JBJ, Sambora, Tom Hamilton, Hugh McDonald, Joey Kramer, and Steve Lukather among others.

One of the more interesting songs that didn't make the album was "The Ballad Of Alice Cooper" by JBJ. There is a poor quality demo of Bon Jovi doing it in his best Alice voice out there. I think it might have been better than most of the tracks on the CD. The Japanese version, however, does have great live versions of "Cold Ethyl" and "Dwight Fry" recorded during this era.

Cooper's albums tend to go in soundalike pairs (Nightmare/Goes To Hell, Constrictor/Raise Your Fist, Brutal Planet/Dragontown). Trash is no exception. Although Cooper realized that Trash was too soft and weak, Hey Stoopid is essentially a brother record to this one. I find it to be much much stronger by comparison.

I would tell fans instead of picking up this CD, to pick up something like Cooper's Classicks instead. You'll get the major tracks from this as well as some rare live ones.

2 stars.
on July 24, 2003
In my ever-growing album collection, I currently possess a total of 11 CDs released by the Godfather of Shock Rock. Out of all the records Alice Cooper has written in his career, "Trash" is without a doubt the absolute WORST. Why, you ask? "Trash" is one of the few Cooper records that displays no interesting concept and is poorly thought out. Generally, this 1989 EP is nothing more than an overglosed package of rehashed hair metal fluff. I'm sad to say this, but Alice is trying WAY TOO HARD to sound like either Bon Jovi or Poison's Brett Michaels. The tracks themselves are jumbles of pitifully predictable lyrics about sleazy sex and groupies, while the anthem-style choruses are numbly repeated over and over again. I chose to rate "Trash" 2 stars in response to 2 of its highlights: "Poison" is a decent 80's classic which, of course, rescued Alice from the brink of obscurity, and the tearful "Hell is Living Without You" is definitely the most well written. Unfortunately, there are also songs on "Trash" that are downright AWFUL: "This Maniac's In Love With You," with its infectious dance hook, transforms Alice's demented Dwy Fry character into a terrible joke. "I'm Your Gun" (featuring Kip Winger, of all people) is so sexually explicit that the lyrics sound like a commercial jingle for an adult novelty toy! Again...DOWNRIGHT AWFUL! If you still suffer from 80's nostalgia and miss the Headbanger's Ball, I recommend to you 1987's "Raise Yer Fist" and 1991's "Hey Stoopid." Those 2 albums stand the test of time and officially mark Mr. Cooper reaching the peak of his success in the decade when heavy metal ruled MTV.
on January 26, 2003
After the newly reinvigorated Alice came off the tours supporting "Constrictor" and "Raise Your Fist," the time was ripe for not just a comeback. The time was there to conquer. Alice had a new label, Epic, a slew of fans who'd grown up with "School's Out" (Jon Bon Jovi and Desmond Child), and a pack of hired gun songwriters as his support team. The ingrediants were there to make sure that the New Alice was going to fit in with a generation of fans currently lapping up the likes of Def Leppard and Bon Jovi.
The payoff was the biggest single of his career, "Poison," the incredibly profitable "Trash The World" tour, and his best album in a decade. Granted, it ain't "Billion Dollar Babies," but it gave the Godfather of Shock Rock a chance to work his mojo on a new breed of kids and nostalgic adults. Plus he found his way into the movie "Wayne's World." How cool is that?
The only gripe would be that there's a little too much of the BonJovi pop metal here, but pass on that quibble and relish the deliberate tackiness of "Trash" or "I'm Your Gun." Thank God for TRASH...it insured Alice's place in the pantheon of rock to which he is rightful heir.
on December 11, 2002
Some say that Trash and Hey Stoopid are Alice Lowest. Why? They contain some of his best songs! Who havent heard Poison?
This cd contains some extremly great songs, full of power. "Poison", "Spark in the Dark", "House of Fire", "Only My heart Talkin`" and "Hell is living without you" are superb songs, and makes this one of the classics of the 80`s. Produced by superman Desmond Child, who has worked with Ratt, Alannah Myles, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and many more, this certainly explaines the catchy rock and the great hits!
The strongest combination is on Bed of Nails, written by Alice Cooper, Desmond Child AND Diane Warren, known for many, many hits(Cher and Meatloaf). No doubt I love this album.
The lesser great songs, "Why Trust You", "Trash" and "I`m your gun" are mostly fillers, while "Why Trust you" is pretty decent, "Trash" and "I`m your gun" are...exactly Trash. But hey, 2 bad songs on a record, thats alright!
To be short and Sweet, this is my favorite Alice, Filled to the brim of Power Ballads, not to Heavy but not poppy, he certainly does a fantastic job on this record. It is one of the records you just got to have, not only because it boosts so many hits, but also because of the enjoyable rock he plays, and of Course....It`s Alice.
Dont forget Hey Stoopid, in my opinion a even better record!
on October 22, 2001
I've been following Alice for almost 2 years now (I'm 15, don't blame me for being in the wrong generation) and I love everything of his I've heard.... except this one. The initial track, Poison, is as brilliant as when I first heard it in Alice compilations, but the rest of the album doesn't follow suit at all. As much as I love it, you've gotta admit that Poison is a fairly commercial-sounding track- well imagine that but without the typical Alice genius and you have fairly tacky, dated pop-rock, and that's the rest of this album. Seriously, 'House of Fire' sounds exactly like a Bon Jovi track, as does everything else. I dunno, maybe you like Bon Jovi, but that's not what Alice is famous or liked for among many his fans. I know this album needed to be pretty commercial for it to be Alice's come-back, but I think the music suffered severely. If you're planning on getting into Alice buy Brutal Planet or Billion Dollar Babies, and if you want an Alice album with Poison on it, go for an Alice compilation.
on March 28, 2001
This was the album of the year in my opinion. Whether it was out cruisin' with the guys, or a night in with a chick, this album was playing somewhere nearby. This was Alice's comeback album. 'Raise your Fist and Yell' and 'Constrictor', with their heavy metal crunch didn't make the impact Alice had wanted. Both were excellent albums in their own right, but it was the late 80's. Hair and flash ruled the world, so Alice stuck his hand in to see what he could get. He struck gold. For me, who bought this album within the same week of it's release, it's still very enjoyable even though times have changed. Every song reminds me of a good time, friend, or girl. I love this album, and if I had to be on an island with only 10 records for the rest of my life, I'd include this one.
Poison, House of Fire, and Only my Heart Talkin' were the singles with videos, but the rest of the album is equally good. High points were 'Maniac in love with you' and the closing (BEST SONG) 'I'm your Gun'. Great tour too by the way, saw 'Trash the World' in Tampa Stadium.
on September 14, 2000
I know it might sound crazy, but I really feel that this is ALICE COOPER'S best work. I love Alice, and all of his work, but this album is so entertaningly cheesy and experimental that it just bowled me over when I finally got it a couple of months ago. The idea of production by Desmond Child (Bon Jovi), made me wary of what he'd make Alice sound like, but what he's managed to do is add the same hooky sing-along sensability that he did for Bon Jovi and Aerosmith. I know that might sound a little wrong for Alice Cooper, but give this album a chance. The big hit, "Poison", is a great, campy rocker, and virtually the entire album is wall-to-wall hooks galore. This album basically reflects Alice Cooper moving to a style somewhere between Motley Crue and Bon Jovi. The songs: "Bed of Nails", "Only my Heart Talking", "Hell is living without you" (a song co-written and backed by Bon Jovi), and "House of Fire" are all amazingly catchy, goofy songs. This album is pure trash (like the title), but trash that is supremely fun and entertaining. As great as all his early stuff is, this is the kind of album that, wall-to-wall, features songs that you will not be able to get out of your head after you listen to them. Trust me. This one may be more for 80's rock fans than ALICE COOPER purists, but anyone with an open mind will find a astoundingly catchy and fun album if they're willing to listen to it.
on August 13, 2000
For the master of great seventies songs on teen rebellion, Cooper has been far ahead of his for a while now. On this disc, Alice style is a hard rock heavy metal kind of crunch that works well now and was the stuff back in the late eighties when this album was released. This is Alice's sick and twisted obsession with sex and love. Sure his wife must have loved this one. It's Alice raw and reenergized with a commercial rock sound that helped place him back on top of the charts.
By far the best known track is the sinister "Poison". The track focuses on a girl whose love is deadly, but the song is the killer. It's awesome heavy metal with hard pounding drums that really make the song. That's what a great rock song should be. I think the guitar riffs work pretty successful too, but it's the skins that come right before the chorus that kick the song to another level. Not only one of Alice's better numbers, but one of my favorite metal numbers of the eighties. Competes with great Ozzy material.
A sick obsession with sex continues on the S&M of "Bed Of Nails". With an spooky intro ala Cooper this song is very dark at first but then typical rock shouts and guitar sounds make the song tame again but with a near ghostly cooing in the background. Teenage rebellion is in play with a retro rock feel of "I'm Your Gun". Cooper gets very sensitive on "Only My Heart Talking". Very into the beautifully sensitive rock feel of "Only Women Bleed" but with a slight hard eighties sound. It's also kind of Country. A cool departure for the full on rock album. Steven Tyler makes a very vocal cameo on the song and Aero pal Joe Perry lets it rock on "House Of Fire". It has a boring intro evolves into something very cool with a stadium chantable chorus. "Trash" features John Bon Jovi a little in the chorus and the sound is kind of like the groups hard New Jersey rock sound, but luckily Cooper's screeching vocals and just mean spirited lyrics give it that classic sense of the album.
This is a very welcome return for Alice back onto the top of the charts. I really like a lot of his Seventies hits with that great writing that could be bluntly cruel, honestly inspiring or soulfully sympathetic. All of these come off on this big selling blockbuster. I don't know if Alice was after a really big hit but with a fun eighties rock near cliché sound, he got it with a smash in "Poison" and a pretty well known album. I like the full album and fans of eighties rock like Bon Jovi and others will love it. As for me, I really like this sound done by Alice but would really like to hear more of his classic rock from the seventies after this set. I'm sure it's even smarter.
on May 12, 2000
Alice Cooper reminds me of David Bowie in some respects. Not the style or the look or anything, but, the willingness to go out on a limb and try something different. Not every Bowie fan likes every Bowie album and that could also be said about Alice Cooper. I think "Trash" is a move on Alice's part to try his hand at a more mainstream album than he had done in the past. I think he completely succeeded here. The songs are about sex, love, and relationships gone wrong. These subjects are all rock and roll staples. What makes this different from the way a band more traditionally known for it's melodic bend is Alice's presentation. He snarls through the song "Trash" in a VERY Alice Cooper way. "It's just the way you love me when you turn to t r a a a s h." He makes it sound so...wicked. "Poison" is one of my all time favorite songs. Hasn't everybody known somebody that just pushed all the right buttons but you KNOW better than to touch? "I wanna love you but I better not touch." For most of the other songs, you can get a clue as to what it's about by the song's title, except, perhaps, "Bed of Nails", which is a song about down and dirty sex. "Love hurts good...I'll drive you like a hammer on a bed of nails.". Just for balance, Alice added a ballad, "Only My Heart Talkin'". Overall, the album is more commercial than a lot of Alice's previous work. I expect some of the fans of his much older material may find it a little, hmm, commercial for their liking. As for the rest of us that love the melodic hard rock bands and the lighter side of Alice, this album is a must! If you are a fan of bands within the aforementioned group, such as, Aerosmith and Def Leppard, you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Many of the bands have 1999-2000 releases. After you pick up a copy of "Trash", you might want to go check out your favorites. Need a memory jog? Click on over to my home page on Amazon. I have most of the bands reviewed or at least mentioned. Are you ready to rock? :o)