5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE HEAD BANGIN
Published on July 10 2004 by TYSON

3.0 out of 5 stars Holy Muscle Of Love!
Published on Oct. 8 2002 by Stanley Runk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE HEAD BANGIN, July 10 2004
TYSON (PARIS TEXAS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
ALICE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST ROCKERS EVER POISON THE FIRST SONG IS JUST AMAZING HEAD BANGIN MOVE YOUR HEAD STUFF BUT I AGREE WITH THE ONE AMAZON PERSON IT'S A GREAT SONG BUT ALICE SHOUDN'T JUST NE REMBERD FOR POISON HE'S DONE TONS OF OTHER GREAT SONG I FIGERD SCHOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER WAS HIS MOST FAMOUS BUT NO SPARK IN THE DARK VERY ROCKIN HOUSE OF FIRE IS RATHER SWEET AND COOL AND TONS OF OTHERS GREAT ALBUM

2.0 out of 5 stars Your Mama thinks I'm filthy...Your Daddy calls me scum...;p, July 24 2003
Pamela Scarangello (Middletown, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
In my ever-growing album collection, I currently possess a total of 11 CDs released by the Godfather of Shock Rock. Out of all the records Alice Cooper has written in his career, "Trash" is without a doubt the absolute WORST. Why, you ask? "Trash" is one of the few Cooper records that displays no interesting concept and is poorly thought out. Generally, this 1989 EP is nothing more than an overglosed package of rehashed hair metal fluff. I'm sad to say this, but Alice is trying WAY TOO HARD to sound like either Bon Jovi or Poison's Brett Michaels. The tracks themselves are jumbles of pitifully predictable lyrics about sleazy sex and groupies, while the anthem-style choruses are numbly repeated over and over again. I chose to rate "Trash" 2 stars in response to 2 of its highlights: "Poison" is a decent 80's classic which, of course, rescued Alice from the brink of obscurity, and the tearful "Hell is Living Without You" is definitely the most well written. Unfortunately, there are also songs on "Trash" that are downright AWFUL: "This Maniac's In Love With You," with its infectious dance hook, transforms Alice's demented Dwy Fry character into a terrible joke. "I'm Your Gun" (featuring Kip Winger, of all people) is so sexually explicit that the lyrics sound like a commercial jingle for an adult novelty toy! Again...DOWNRIGHT AWFUL! If you still suffer from 80's nostalgia and miss the Headbanger's Ball, I recommend to you 1987's "Raise Yer Fist" and 1991's "Hey Stoopid." Those 2 albums stand the test of time and officially mark Mr. Cooper reaching the peak of his success in the decade when heavy metal ruled MTV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice Cooper Conquered the 1980's., May 8 2003
Sean Parauka (Orange, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
This album of 1989, "TRASH" is ALICE COOPER'S GREATEST ALBUM EVER! I'm a HUGE Alice Cooper fan and I literally can't stop listening to this album. The album itself is addicting! Alice Cooper put his greatest efforts into this album. Together with hit song-writer Desmond Child (Aerosmith, KISS), the two wrote outstanding tunes and smashing hits. Alice also included several guest musicians to appear on the album to make it even more better. The special guests were: Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Tom Hamilton and Joey Kramer of Aerosmith and Bon Jovi.
The opening track, "Poison" is one Alice's greatest hits ever. It opens with an evil guitar squeel and then Alice starts singing the opening lines, "Your cruel device. Your blood like ice. One look could kill my pain, your thrill," in a low evil demon-like voice. The song is ADDICTING! It has an outstanding chorus line and excellent guitar riffs. The next track, "Spark In The Dark" is another excellent piece. It has a good riff and great lyrics. The chorus is very catchy and a is great Alice tune.
The next track, "House of Fire" is like an addition to "Poison." Joe Perry did the lead guitar and background vocals on this tune. It's an excellently written song by Alice. The second chorus line goes like, "Building a house of fire, baby. Buildin'it with our love. We are building a house of fire every time we touch. We are building this house together, baby. Standing on solid ground. We are building a house of fire that you can't tear down." Another addition to Alice Cooper's outstanding ballads is "Only My Heart Talkin'." Alice and Steven Tyler did the vocals together on this MASTERPIECE! Of course we all know Steven is a great singer, especially for ballads. So now we know why Alice chose Steven to sing it with him. The song itself is so UNIFIED and EXTREMELY powerful. It's the perfect love song for any couple.
Another catchy tune is "This Maniac's In Love With You." It's a solid tune with a somewhat catchy chorus. Alice did pretty well on writting this tune. The title track, "Trash" is a really good heavy metal hit. Alice had Tom Hamilton do the bass lines and Joey Kramer do the drum beats. Joey did an excellent job on the drum tracks. Alice sings this song is a really trashy voice which fits the song title perfectly.
An addition to the first ballad on the album, "Hell Is Living Without You" is another ballad classic of Alice. part of the chorus line goes like, "Hell is living without your love. Ain't nothing without your touch me. Heaven would be like hell, is living without you." It an excellent tune. The last track "I'm Your Gun" is an awsome heavy metal tune with VERY LOUD guitar solos an drum beats. Part of the chorus line goes like, "Pull my trigger, I get bigger. Then I'm lots of fun. I'm your gun. I'm your gun, gun, gun." It's a great way to end the album.
The album all-together turned out to be a MASTERPIECE which proved that Alice Cooper conquered Heavy Metal in the 1980's. Alice and Desmond Child did an excellent job writting the songs together. The guest stars of Aerosmith and Bon Jovi really did an EXCELLENT job with Alice helping the album come alive. This is one of Alice Cooper's GREATEST albums of all-time! Buy this album and you'll find out why Alice Cooper is the king of Heavy Metal.

4.0 out of 5 stars The REAL comeback., Jan. 26 2003
Tim Brough "author and music buff" (Springfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
After the newly reinvigorated Alice came off the tours supporting "Constrictor" and "Raise Your Fist," the time was ripe for not just a comeback. The time was there to conquer. Alice had a new label, Epic, a slew of fans who'd grown up with "School's Out" (Jon Bon Jovi and Desmond Child), and a pack of hired gun songwriters as his support team. The ingrediants were there to make sure that the New Alice was going to fit in with a generation of fans currently lapping up the likes of Def Leppard and Bon Jovi.
The payoff was the biggest single of his career, "Poison," the incredibly profitable "Trash The World" tour, and his best album in a decade. Granted, it ain't "Billion Dollar Babies," but it gave the Godfather of Shock Rock a chance to work his mojo on a new breed of kids and nostalgic adults. Plus he found his way into the movie "Wayne's World." How cool is that?
The only gripe would be that there's a little too much of the BonJovi pop metal here, but pass on that quibble and relish the deliberate tackiness of "Trash" or "I'm Your Gun." Thank God for TRASH...it insured Alice's place in the pantheon of rock to which he is rightful heir.

4.0 out of 5 stars This isnt Trash!(Except for Trash), Dec 11 2002
Odd Magne Granli (Southern Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
Some say that Trash and Hey Stoopid are Alice Lowest. Why? They contain some of his best songs! Who havent heard Poison?
This cd contains some extremly great songs, full of power. "Poison", "Spark in the Dark", "House of Fire", "Only My heart Talkin`" and "Hell is living without you" are superb songs, and makes this one of the classics of the 80`s. Produced by superman Desmond Child, who has worked with Ratt, Alannah Myles, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and many more, this certainly explaines the catchy rock and the great hits!
The strongest combination is on Bed of Nails, written by Alice Cooper, Desmond Child AND Diane Warren, known for many, many hits(Cher and Meatloaf). No doubt I love this album.
The lesser great songs, "Why Trust You", "Trash" and "I`m your gun" are mostly fillers, while "Why Trust you" is pretty decent, "Trash" and "I`m your gun" are...exactly Trash. But hey, 2 bad songs on a record, thats alright!
To be short and Sweet, this is my favorite Alice, Filled to the brim of Power Ballads, not to Heavy but not poppy, he certainly does a fantastic job on this record. It is one of the records you just got to have, not only because it boosts so many hits, but also because of the enjoyable rock he plays, and of Course....It`s Alice.
Dont forget Hey Stoopid, in my opinion a even better record!

3.0 out of 5 stars Holy Muscle Of Love!, Oct. 8 2002
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
I'm an Alice Cooper fanatic, and it breaks my heart to say anything bad about his work, but this one just doesn't cut it. Alice could always bring his charm to what ever album he did in any given time period, but on Trash he is totally out of character. Unless that's the joke; The Alice Cooper character impersonating an 80s-Bon Jovi like-rock star. However, this is the album that gets the least attention from the cd player(even Zipper Catches Skin gets more!). However, there really isn't anything "Alice Cooper"-ish about this album to me outside his voice. It really hurts me to say this, but this album has probably the worst power ballad I have ever heard in my life(Only My Heart Talking). And this was his highest selling album! Go figure! That's the American public for ya. So, whenever I tell people I like Alice Cooper, I always get, "Oh, he sings 'Poison', I love that song!" Yes, that certainly is a good song, but I hate the fact that it seems like that's the song he's gonna be remembered by. All in all, I don't consider this album to be really bad by any means, I think it blows the doors off of most of the 80s pop bands of the day. I just wish Alice would have chosen a different route is all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Severe let-down, sounds like Bon Jovi, Oct. 22 2001
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
I've been following Alice for almost 2 years now (I'm 15, don't blame me for being in the wrong generation) and I love everything of his I've heard.... except this one. The initial track, Poison, is as brilliant as when I first heard it in Alice compilations, but the rest of the album doesn't follow suit at all. As much as I love it, you've gotta admit that Poison is a fairly commercial-sounding track- well imagine that but without the typical Alice genius and you have fairly tacky, dated pop-rock, and that's the rest of this album. Seriously, 'House of Fire' sounds exactly like a Bon Jovi track, as does everything else. I dunno, maybe you like Bon Jovi, but that's not what Alice is famous or liked for among many his fans. I know this album needed to be pretty commercial for it to be Alice's come-back, but I think the music suffered severely. If you're planning on getting into Alice buy Brutal Planet or Billion Dollar Babies, and if you want an Alice album with Poison on it, go for an Alice compilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where were you in '89?, March 28 2001
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
This was the album of the year in my opinion. Whether it was out cruisin' with the guys, or a night in with a chick, this album was playing somewhere nearby. This was Alice's comeback album. 'Raise your Fist and Yell' and 'Constrictor', with their heavy metal crunch didn't make the impact Alice had wanted. Both were excellent albums in their own right, but it was the late 80's. Hair and flash ruled the world, so Alice stuck his hand in to see what he could get. He struck gold. For me, who bought this album within the same week of it's release, it's still very enjoyable even though times have changed. Every song reminds me of a good time, friend, or girl. I love this album, and if I had to be on an island with only 10 records for the rest of my life, I'd include this one.
Poison, House of Fire, and Only my Heart Talkin' were the singles with videos, but the rest of the album is equally good. High points were 'Maniac in love with you' and the closing (BEST SONG) 'I'm your Gun'. Great tour too by the way, saw 'Trash the World' in Tampa Stadium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice Cooper's most entertaining record!, Sept. 14 2000
Taylor Sapp (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
I know it might sound crazy, but I really feel that this is ALICE COOPER'S best work. I love Alice, and all of his work, but this album is so entertaningly cheesy and experimental that it just bowled me over when I finally got it a couple of months ago. The idea of production by Desmond Child (Bon Jovi), made me wary of what he'd make Alice sound like, but what he's managed to do is add the same hooky sing-along sensability that he did for Bon Jovi and Aerosmith. I know that might sound a little wrong for Alice Cooper, but give this album a chance. The big hit, "Poison", is a great, campy rocker, and virtually the entire album is wall-to-wall hooks galore. This album basically reflects Alice Cooper moving to a style somewhere between Motley Crue and Bon Jovi. The songs: "Bed of Nails", "Only my Heart Talking", "Hell is living without you" (a song co-written and backed by Bon Jovi), and "House of Fire" are all amazingly catchy, goofy songs. This album is pure trash (like the title), but trash that is supremely fun and entertaining. As great as all his early stuff is, this is the kind of album that, wall-to-wall, features songs that you will not be able to get out of your head after you listen to them. Trust me. This one may be more for 80's rock fans than ALICE COOPER purists, but anyone with an open mind will find a astoundingly catchy and fun album if they're willing to listen to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alice in Eighties land., Aug. 13 2000
Vincent M. Mastronardi (Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trash (Audio CD)
For the master of great seventies songs on teen rebellion, Cooper has been far ahead of his for a while now. On this disc, Alice style is a hard rock heavy metal kind of crunch that works well now and was the stuff back in the late eighties when this album was released. This is Alice's sick and twisted obsession with sex and love. Sure his wife must have loved this one. It's Alice raw and reenergized with a commercial rock sound that helped place him back on top of the charts.
By far the best known track is the sinister "Poison". The track focuses on a girl whose love is deadly, but the song is the killer. It's awesome heavy metal with hard pounding drums that really make the song. That's what a great rock song should be. I think the guitar riffs work pretty successful too, but it's the skins that come right before the chorus that kick the song to another level. Not only one of Alice's better numbers, but one of my favorite metal numbers of the eighties. Competes with great Ozzy material.
A sick obsession with sex continues on the S&M of "Bed Of Nails". With an spooky intro ala Cooper this song is very dark at first but then typical rock shouts and guitar sounds make the song tame again but with a near ghostly cooing in the background. Teenage rebellion is in play with a retro rock feel of "I'm Your Gun". Cooper gets very sensitive on "Only My Heart Talking". Very into the beautifully sensitive rock feel of "Only Women Bleed" but with a slight hard eighties sound. It's also kind of Country. A cool departure for the full on rock album. Steven Tyler makes a very vocal cameo on the song and Aero pal Joe Perry lets it rock on "House Of Fire". It has a boring intro evolves into something very cool with a stadium chantable chorus. "Trash" features John Bon Jovi a little in the chorus and the sound is kind of like the groups hard New Jersey rock sound, but luckily Cooper's screeching vocals and just mean spirited lyrics give it that classic sense of the album.
This is a very welcome return for Alice back onto the top of the charts. I really like a lot of his Seventies hits with that great writing that could be bluntly cruel, honestly inspiring or soulfully sympathetic. All of these come off on this big selling blockbuster. I don't know if Alice was after a really big hit but with a fun eighties rock near cliché sound, he got it with a smash in "Poison" and a pretty well known album. I like the full album and fans of eighties rock like Bon Jovi and others will love it. As for me, I really like this sound done by Alice but would really like to hear more of his classic rock from the seventies after this set. I'm sure it's even smarter.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Trash
Trash by Alice Cooper (Audio CD - 2008)