5.0 out of 5 stars hats off to Harry
Published on Oct. 10 2001 by allismile0

3.0 out of 5 stars NILSSON SINGS NEWMAN
Published on May 2 2000 by JULIE BAUGH

5.0 out of 5 stars hats off to Harry, Oct. 10 2001
he put his heart and soul into this album and it shows-- basically it is just Newman on piano and Nilsson and his army of clones singing harmony on top of harmony. what an original Nilsson was- a class of his own and deserves no comparisons because he was a perfect example of what individualiry can be without being pretentious or showing off to the crowd. He did as he pleased with love of what he did and he did it like no other- this album shows that- both in what you hear and what it stands for.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unmitigated classic!, May 21 2001
One of the true (and few) masterpieces of popular music, this is a record that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as "Pet Sounds", "What's Going on?" "Music From Big Pink".... whatever. There are not enough superalitives to express the greatness of this recording. It is the rare project that actually looks good on paper and sounds immeasurably better. It is truly one of the holy books of recorded sound.
This great reissue features stunning sound. Wow, I'd like to hear this on SACD, as the master tapes must be near perfect... spatial cues, huge soundstage, pin-point images. A great-sounding record all around. You can really appreciate every nuance of Harry's phrasing. The new liner notes are fascinating, shedding light on the painstaking process that was the construction of this record. I had no idea Harry was such a perfectionist! I always had thought this album was a "toss off"-- two buddys getting together and slapping together a brilliant album. In fact, they both worked so long and hard on this that Randy was bored to death!
If I had to point to one record where Harry's voice was consistently at its greatest, this would be that record. His soft, yearning turns-of-phrase on "I'll be home"--- his rocking-to-sweet delivery on the brilliant "Vine Street". There is not a misstep to be heard. I think he was the greatest vocalist in pop, and this is a real showcase for that.
My one gripe with this record is the inclusion of "The Beehive State". I've never understood why they chose it. It's one of my least favorite of Newman's song (okay, I hate it, actually) and it really doesn't fit with the sly humor and almost melancholic bent of the rest of the record. It has always seemed out of place to me and it still does. With the addition of the bonus track "Snow", it's even more curious that they wouldn't have given that track the nod over "Beehive"... Oh well, I'm not a musical genius, so who am I to complain! Maybe it was like the flawed stitch in a navjo quilt...

4.0 out of 5 stars Singer/Songwriter Summit, Nov. 14 2000
KALO (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Nilsson is dead, while Newman now scores movies like his illustrious forbears. Back in the day, however, for one brief, shining moment, the two aspiring songsters united for this still-unrecognized masterpiece. While each participant was well-skilled in singing and songwriting, Nilsson, arguably the better singer, sang, while Newman, arguably the better songwriter, provided the songs and played piano. Neither was well-known to the public, despite chart successes recognized by at least a sliver of the industry. The resulting album was well-reviewed at the time, but failed to click with the buying public. Mine own vinyl copy was purchased at a garage sale a few years after its release; even then it was a radio station freebee with the signature "Jim Sloane" scrawled in Magic Marker on the album's cover. After a few listens, the album became a frequent play for me and vivid enough to provide me, as a budding high school film maker, with the inspiration for several (unmade) animated films. As I listen to it now, at least two decades removed from my initial infatuation, I find that the album holds up quite well. More lieder recital than "rock'n'roll record," points must be given for sheer timelessness. These two took songwriting seriously; they weren't only in search of the latest hit, though both saw chart success, but each also seemed to pursue songwriting for its own sake. Fact is that I still prefer the versions on this album to several of the tracks on Newman's debut; Nilsson's spontaneous studio-smarts and seeming emotional directness as a singer trump Newman's painstaking orchestral arrangements and studious Fats Domino mumble. Take this, then, as a qualified rave. If you've ever responded to either of these artists, or to great song themselves, then give this a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sing a song of long ago..., Nov. 2 2000
"unklejoe" (up in the sky) - See all my reviews
Boy, they just don't make 'em like this anymore. There is a beauty and a simplicity and a sweetness to this album that is hard to describe. I think Nilsson's singing is the finest of his career. The combination of his quirky musical sense with Randy Newman's songs is perfection. Even when the lyrics or the singing are slightly goofy ("Vine Street, "So Long, Dad"), they still manage to be touching. "Living Without You" is the clincher. On a personal note... I remember first hearing this album about 8 years ago. I bought it on cassette for 99 cents from a discount bin. It didn't make much of an impression at first - the songs (and indeed the whole album) go by so quick that you might miss them. But give it time. You will find that you're singing them to yourself, and feeling them in your heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quietly impressive, June 30 2000
Marc Kloszewski (Indiana, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I know generally record companies don't give anything away for free, but the rerelease of this 1970 album is certainly a gift for what has to be a small audience: Thank you, Buddha (Records)! What we have here must be one of the most historic matchups of talented songwriters, Harry Nilsson, who up until then had a big hit single with someone else's song (Fred Neil's "Everybody's Talkin'" from "Midnight Cowboy"), and three critically admired but poor-selling albums, and Randy Newman, yet to score even a major hit as a songwriter ('least he was on Warner Bros., a label that respected his talent, more than you can say for Harry's RCA deal)...So, as the publicity goes, it really was a brave thing to undertake this very low-key collection, mainly pared down to Randy's piano and Harry's lovely voice. Listening to it reminds me of attending a recital of art songs (and, you should turn this one up loud for full intimate effect, I think). For the most part, Harry has chosen the "nice-guy" (from the liner notes) songs from Randy's repertoire (the one exception, "Yellow Man," does sound better coming from Randy's ironic pipes), and they are simple songs that sparingly sketch out his scenarios of nostalgia ("Dayton, Ohio 1903," "Vine St."), loss/regret ("Living Without You," "So Long Dad"), and hey, even Love. Fans of Randy Newman will be intrigued by comparing the different versions both singers have laid down ('frinstance, I like Randy's version of "Love Story" much better than Harry's, no shame there though). Also impressive is that even with the spare instrumentation all around, Harry worked laboriously on multi-tracking his voice so that the results are fairly gorgeous, and the small flourishes (like the mallet keyboards on "Caroline") say so much with so little. Also (again!), it's fascinating to me that interspersed amongst the crystal clear production and the smooth vocals is Randy and Harry chatting--studio patter! (At the end of "Snow," I believe, Randy says "Bad ending I played." "Yeah, I know...") Makes it all that more intimate--there! Have I convinced you to go out and get this? For those pop lovers with a taste for something unique, I don't think you can go wrong with this, especially if you have even the slightest interest in these two artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF HARRY'S BEST, June 3 2000
I'm glad to see this has been re-released, I have been looking for it for quite sometime. It is a great combination of Randy's songwriting and wit with Harry's singing. Every track is excellent from Vine Street to So Long Dad, Though, I'm not wild about the additional tracks, maybe I'll learn to appreciate them too.

3.0 out of 5 stars NILSSON SINGS NEWMAN, May 2 2000
JULIE BAUGH (SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH (the Beehive State)) - See all my reviews
CAROLINE IS A BEAUTIFUL SONG AND NOBODY CAN DO IT BETTER THAN NILSSON. BUT WHO WANTS TO LISTEN TO A SONG LIKE "THE BEEHIVE STATE" OR "COWBOY". IT WOULD BE NICE IF ALBUMS WERE AVAILABLE THAT KEPT THE SAME SPIRIT WITHIN EACH, SUCH AS "A LITTLE SCHMILSSON IN THE NIGHT" AND "HARRY" DO. THEY ARE HIS BEST COLLECTIONS. I ALSO LIKE HIS SONGS FROM THE "YOU'VE GOT MAIL" CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, March 21 2000
Oh My God! I am floored by this disc. Sound is amazing, truly amazing. I must admit that I was less than impressed with the Buddha reissue of Pussy Cats, which does not sound anything like this disc nor was the packaging as good. Try to imagine liner notes that you can't read becaus they are printed over pictures. Anyway back to this album, Buddha does Harry right with a beautiful tribute to a classic record. Opening tribute from Randy Nilsson and touching insight into the recording of this masterpiece from Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean (I never knew he illustrated the cover) I hope that buddha does the rest of Harry's LP's this way. Please do Son Of next!

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY,BEG,BORROW OR STEAL THIS DISC, March 9 2000
This has always been one of my favorite CDs and this remastering is absolutely fantastic. Most of the Tunes have sparse instrumentation, With Newman on piano, but with rich, dense vocal arrangements all sung with Harry's distinctive 3 1/2 octave voice. Harry was at his best.
When I hear it i always imagine Randy sitting at piano surrounded by 8 or 10 harrys, all singing like a choir of quirky fallen angels.My favorite just got even better. In addition, the alternate takes are interesting and the lost song "SNOW" is like a piece of lost treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY,BEG,BORROW OR STEAL THIS DISC, March 9 2000

ARRAY(0xa8aaaa74)

Nilsson Sings Newman
Nilsson Sings Newman by Harry Nilsson (Audio CD - 2008)