5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, Aug. 18 2008
Poetkitty (Victoria, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
I was and am a fan of the 1995 version with Emma Thompson, but this one is even better. There is a freshness of language here that is slightly more modern but still is completely true to the spirit of the novel. And this version misses nothing from the book - the duel between Brandon and Willoughby, the awful meeting with Mrs. Ferrars, the existence of Lady Middleton and her children, the elder Miss Steele - it's all here! Things only referred to in the '95 version (Edward standing by Lucy when he's cast off without a penny for ex.} are played out and meshed beautifully with all the action going forward. I found myself really feeling things between the characters - the lovely relationship between all the Dashwood sisters and their mother, the almost instant sympathy of feeling between Edward and Elinor, the regard Colonel Brandon feels for Marianne, the motivating forces behind John Dashwood and his wife and her mother....it was all presented in a way where you really cared what was going to happen. I have 3 versions of this DVD (the one with Irene Richard being the oldest) and while they are all enjoyable and worthwhile, this one is my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent adaptation... if you could combine this one and the 1995 version you'd have the perfect S&S, April 2 2009
killerwhaletank - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
Like many others I am a huge fan of the 1995 version with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet, but I've always loved the original book and I was intrigued by a new version. This version was very well done and did not disappoint. The scenery is gorgeous and the cast was overall pretty fantastic. Most of the cast I thought was as good as or better than the previous version, with only a few exceptions.

What was really nice about this version was that it covered in more detail and more faithfully some areas of the book that were altered or cropped out of the 1995 Hollywood version for time constraints (like anything with Mrs. Ferrars and Sir John's wife and kids). That said, it did have some alterations and minor additions of its own (some I liked, some I was iffy about) but overall came out feeling a little more like the book. If you could mush the previous version and this version together, you'd have the ultimate Sense and Sensibility, with nothing left wanting.

Cast-wise, think I enjoyed the Dashwood sisters a little more in this one because they were more age appropriate. While Emma Thompson did a wonderful job as Elinor in the previous version, she was much too old for the part and seemed closer to 40 than 20. In this one, Hattie Morahan pulls off Elinor wonderfully, but she is much more believable in age and therefore I have a hard time remembering Emma Thompson when I watch this. Kate Winslet and Charity Wakefield are equally good Mariannes.

The only real casting disappointments were Willoughby (he was creepy rather than charming and dashing) and Colonel Brandon (David Morrissey is a fine actor but just can't touch Alan Rickman's previous performance). Everyone else felt fresh in the roles and I didn't have much trouble accepting them as another interpretation of the characters.

If you love Jane Austen, and if you enjoyed the prior version, this one is an excellent addition to your video library. Well worth watching more than once. I have a really hard time deciding which one to watch now when I'm in the mood for a little Sense and Sensibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 29 2008
Dawn Anderson (New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
I enjoyed this version of Sense and Sensibility far more than the 1995 version with Emma Thompson (as much as I love Emma Thompson).
It moved at a slower pace, allowing the watcher to become more familiar with the characters. The scenery was beautiful and the casting was excellent. I am not familiar with the majority of the cast, but they all did a wonderful job.
For those who are looking for a clean wholesome movie to purchase, I recommend this movie. There is a short love scene at the very beginning, but that is all :-)
The 1995 version is also worth watching too!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite S&S, July 9 2008
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
Of all of the DVD versions of Sense and Sensibility, I would have to say that this is my favorite. The casting feels closest to what was in my minds' eye upon reading the story, the settings are delicious, the costuming wonderful and the scripting well crafted. The cast, without exception, bring the characters to life. As to Miss Austen Regrets, It is a wonderfully imagined portrayal of the Authoress's life. My favorite scene was the Vicar expoundning his would-be sermon whilst facing the sea. Too amusing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but not bad -- and the ending is inspired!, Oct. 21 2009
R. Lloyd "English Expat" (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
I'm still waiting for the perfect adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. This one almost makes it ... but not quite.

While it is fairly true to Jane Austen's original story, it's a decidedly modern interpretation and there have been a lot of liberties taken with the characters and the dialogue. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and does allow greater acceptance by modern audiences, but if you want a version that's faithful to the book, this isn't it.

I found Hattie Morahan and Charity Wakefield, as Elinor and Marianne Dashwood, both believable and faithful to the original characters. In particular, I liked the way they handled the differing outlooks, different temperaments and completely different appearances without ever seeming to be other than sisters. You could believe that they might be related. The youngest sister, Margaret, was cute and funny but not at all similar to the original -- which my teenaged daughters found highly amusing, but which I found rather jarring because you know Jane Austen would never have written a character like that. If that doesn't bother you, then you don't have to worry.

The male leads were more of a mixed bag. Dan Stevens is charming, kind and wonderfully good-looking as Edward Ferrars -- which is fine if you don't mind that Jane Austen wrote him as shy, awkward and diffident. But he's very nice to look at and did portray the honourable gentleman in a cleft stick of his own making very well. However, I couldn't believe Domenic Cooper as the dashing, romantic but ultimately selfish Willoughby at all. For a start, he looks like the kind of person you really don't want to meet on a dark night in the sleazy part of town -- drug dealer, yes; Byron-esque hero, no. Worse, Andrew Davies (who handled the screenplay for "Pride and Prejudice" so deftly) utterly trashed Willoughby's final scene. Instead of admitting his dastardly conduct with true repentance and traces of his former charm (and finding a few mitigating circumstances to boot, so he's certainly in error but not an utter swine), poor Cooper whines about his sad state in having to marry a rich but shrewish wife in order to keep up his expensive lifestyle. You're left with no liking and absolutely no sympathy for him at all.

However, the real shining star of this version is David Morrissey's brilliant rendition of Colonel Brandon, and Andrew Davies's scriptwriting that made it possible. Morrissey plays the tragic, wronged hero without descending into bathos or banality, he's reserved without being stuffy and he's eminently likeable. You bleed for his heartbreak over Marianne, his lost love and his niece's ruined life without him ever saying a word or betraying more than a flicker of expression. More than that, he manages to get around what I have always thought was the one (dare I say it) huge glaring flaw in Jane Austen's story -- i.e. that Marianne goes from undying devotion to Willoughby to marriage with Brandon in about five pages, despite all her previous protestations of constancy and apparently entirely because her mother and sister think she ought to. In this version, Marianne retains her romantic outlook but comes to focus it on Brandon instead. In the sentence Austen should have written and didn't, Marianne says, "He kept faithful to his first love even after she had been torn away from him -- even after she was dead. He is the true romantic, I think." Davies adds plausibility to their increasing attraction in a couple of superb little vignettes. We watch Brandon fly a falcon (actually a red kite) from the glove, see the bird fly free and then return to his hand (oh the symbolism!) -- then he turns to the watching Marianne and says, quietly, "Come." And how could she not? For someone who *isn't* an obviously sexy male lead, he's pretty damn irresistable!

Comparisons with the 1995 Ang Lee version are almost unavoidable. Although the 2008 version is by no means perfect, I like it much better, partly for the increased time you have to play with in a miniseries (where a 2-hour movie can't hope to cover the plot in any depth), partly for the oft-touted age discrepancy between Emma Thompson and Austen's Elinor, but mostly because I really disliked the overly stuffy Alan Rickman as Brandon. (For me, he's saddled with the baggage of too many villainous roles and I was overcome with urgent desire to yell, Don't trust him, Marianne! He murdered Dumbledore!)

There's still room for the definitive version of Sense and Sensibility. But if someone else does take a crack at it, I hope they'll learn from Davies' screenplay and Morrissey's portrayal of Brandon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh and Fitting Cast, April 19 2008
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
Having always been fond of the 1995 version I had some initial doubts about this one, but by the end of the first episode they'd completely disappeared. Some of the actors from the earlier production do defiantly out shine this undated. Yet despite the slightly lower production values I think I could prefer it, as I''e always been slightly uncomfortably with the 1995 all-starism.

Some fans will miss, as I did, the biting pre-House personality of Hugh Laurie's Mr. Palmer. This productions Mr. Palmer is a sad nonentity. Alan Rickman did deliver a mysterious and slightly sinister Brandon, but I'm never quite sold on his melodramatic brooding, save that for Persuasion's Captain Benwick. I almost prefer this version's plain, soldier-like and honorable Brandon despite his inability to bring-sexy-back. The homily that fidelity and not beauty determine real romance is preserved as a nice hats-off to the morality of the time. Further, though I love Emma Thompson and she's a wonderful actress, I wasn't quite happy with her as Miss Dashwood. This younger modern incarnation sits well. Lastly Mark Williams makes an excellent Sir John and adds a welcome familiar face with all the accompanying tactlessness.

The best feature of production is the obscurity of the cast. In a complete departure from its predecessor one doesn't have expectations the actors. The viewer is left to enjoy Sense and Sensibility without constantly remembering Brandon as a Snape, Rasputin or the villain from Diehard or noticing Edmund's unmistakable resemblance (cravat aside) to the modern milk-sop of ubiquitous annual romantic comedy. Best of all is Miss Marianne's hair. I still don't understand why they put that Kate Winslet in that over-ringletted monstrosity in 95.

Over all though a significant amount of the star power is lost, the production is appreciably cohesive. This obscure(ish) but talented cast fit neatly into the expectations of canonical reverence and that demand by Austin purists, that story come before all, is more than met. Occasionally under dramatic, but nonetheless a faithful and loveablely apt adaptation of the real plight faced by regency women living on reduced means.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, June 18 2008
elfdart - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
i haven't read sense and sensibiliy, and i guess i should say i have no intention to, though it is a good story. i have seen the previous sense and sensibility with kate winslet though, so while i have something to hold this movie up to, i don't have the original story under my belt and can't compare one to the other.

i thought this movie did a great job. the previous movie had a good cast and was well done, but i'd have to say that i think i like this one more. the cinematography really drew you into the story and made the story line so much more realistic and palpable. at the beginning i wasn't too sure about it as there were a lot of wierd angles, like they were trying to create one of those weird art movies (which i love.. and that'd actually be a great project) but after the first 5- 10 minutes the story and presentation became less choppy and more, well i guess real. and because of this i think, i felt i knew the sister's better than i did from watching the other movie, even though i've watched that one several times and this one only once. they just got it right. the lighting, the angles... there were some points in the movie where they just got a really pretty shot of one of the actresses and i'd just stop and think, wow she looks really pretty there, and then the story would continue. the scenery was beautiful as well. my favourite shot scenery wise is when marianne is sitting by the stream reading and there's that little waterfall.

i enjoy the people cast for the previous movie and think they're good at what they do, but i think this cast better suits the characters (though winslet played a really great marrianne). i felt the relationships a bit more, and the situational misfortune a lot more. both movies are good though, and both should be seen. this one does a lot more for me visually though.

5.0 out of 5 stars This version of Sense and Sensibility is my favorite. The acting is superb by all actors, July 4 2014
George Jones - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
This version of Sense and Sensibility is my favorite. The acting is superb by all actors. The setting along the magnificent south coast of England is beautifully portrayed. Costuming seems to accurately reflect the clothes worn in this period of English history. The story line is a wonderful, emotionally satisfying interpretation of the book written by Jane Austen. My husband enjoys this movie as well, so it's not a "chick flick" . Good values, such as honesty and loyalty are woven into the story. With no sex, no violence and no offending language, I would recommend this for family viewing, especially those interested in historical drama.

The added bonus of Miss Austen Regrets was an interesting look at Austen's life, especially with her niece. A lot of the information is based on imagining what her life must have been, as there are mainly only letters to glean from. I rather expected that Austen would have been of a sweeter nature than was depicted here, but others might find that she has been presented just as they imagined.

5.0 out of 5 stars True classic!, March 6 2014
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
I love all of Jane Austen. Anything for that time period I always enjoy. I never get tired of watching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the bonus "Miss Austen Regrets", Jan. 2 2014
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007) (DVD)
The included DVD "Miss Austen Regrets" is fantastic. I so enjoy this movie. Olivia Williams is perfect. That's almost enough to say about it -- she is perfect. Her ability to somehow drop the life out of her face when she is disgusted is so fun to watch. She is perfect as Jane. In fact, all the roles are filled perfectly. Her mother, her sister, her ex/lost love/soul mate. All perfect. I adore it. I love the bitterness of the story, and of Jane herself. It isn't a glossy, feel-good movie, although there are many comical moments and Jane finds a lot to laugh at. There is so much heart in it. The writing is perfect and the players are perfect. The thoughtfulness/sadness of Jane's sister is so full and the regret of her ex/possible ex-lover (Hugh Bonneville) is so deep. I love it.

As for Sense and Sensibility -- I don't like it nearly as much as the Emma Thompson version, but there are things I like about it. The inclusion of "Miss Austen Regrets" is what makes this worth the buying. I would give it more stars if I could.

Sense and Sensibility and Miss Austen Regrets (2007)
CDN$ 43.98 CDN$ 30.25