countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Color: Pearl Metallic|Style Name: Stand Mixer|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 2, 2016
In my journey for a new stand mixer I have tried many brands. I have come to distrust online reviews almost completely (yet here I am writing another review). Some people never use mixers for heavier tasks, ignore the shortcomings of their brand, or sell their soul for the price of a free mixer. It seems like all the old mixers are the great ones. Sunbeam, Kitchenaid, Kenwood and others shine from blogs and videos online yet the new line of mixers on the market don't seem to be the same.

When I buy a new product I like to make sure it is going to last me so I break it in properly. The Kenwood KM080ATCA Cooking Chef looked like it would meet all my needs, yet it died on day one despite all the glowing reviews online. Online reviews won't tell you about the E06 error and other problems from the "new" Kenwood line. My old reliable mixer is a 450W Kitchenaid stand mixer so I decided to break down and finally buy the Kitchenaid 575W stand mixer thinking it had more power than my old one. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Online reviews were positive (again) and I missed that fact that most positive reviews hardly use their mixer for much. So I ordered it and started testing it about five hours after arrival.

Day one I had the grey batter problem despite numerous cleanings before usage. Looked it up online, followed the advice of washing with baking soda followed by vinegar and it stopped making my batter grey. I made brownies and two cakes (chiffon and angel) and all turned out well. It didn't whip as fast as my old Kitchenaid, but I ignored that since it was making more orbital movements. After all this is 575W and my old one is 450W.

Day two I thought I would be making two loaves of bread and cookies later in the day. I put together my standard bread recipe and started the mixer on speed 2. Again it really seemed like there was a lack of power, but it was only 5.5 cups of AP flour. Once it came together it started "chugging". The dough hook would occasionally stop then try to go again limping around the bowl like it was ready to die. This wasn't even wet like sweet dough yet the mixer couldn't handle it. Finally I can smell something burning. It's the mixer so I turn it off and touch the top and it is cooking hot. The smell coming out the back is horrid so I unplug it. So I returned it and chose not to get another one.

As I go online to look up this problem I see it happening to many people in the negative reviews with comments telling these people NOT to make bread with this mixer. I'm sorry folks but the big brag on the side of my box proclaims how many cups and pounds of bread dough this thing can handle. If I want a machine to make simple batters I'll buy a hand mixer. It is also at this point that I find out that wattage means nothing today in stand mixers. It's a simple deception to think you are getting more power if the wattage is higher. They manipulate you when they play with words like "peak" and ignore "continuous" power (look these terms up). There are old 325W mixers that destroy most mixers around today because they have more horsepower. Wattage is usually just showing you the peak power usage of the mixer not it's actual power to the bowl. Continuous horsepower (not peak) is the key to a good mixer.

So when you do buy a mixer drive it for the first week to make sure it will last you for the needs you have at home. I have spoken to some people in the industry and they don't like anything on the home market today. Some have recommended the 7qt Kitchenaid to me but I don't know if I really trust them anymore since other recent KA purchases have died as well and again rating it by "peak" power. I am amazed that in the price range of $500 or more you can not find a reliable mixer anymore. The Bosch is attractive, but I despise that plastic bowl and find it does not meet all my needs properly. Maybe I'll just try to find parts for my old Kitchenaid online since it seems companies care less and less about what they are selling to their customers today.
on January 2, 2012
I LOVE this new KitchenAid mixer!! I chose this model primarily for its large capacity bowl and also because the bowl lifts to the mixer and the mixer head doesn't have to be lifted up. Although it is a couple of inches taller than the KitchenAid Artisan mixer, I am able to leave it on my counter under my cupboards and just slide it forward a bit when I want to use it. Because the Artisan mixer head lifts up, it actually becomes a "bigger" machine when the head is tilted. I worried it might be a nuisance having to remove the paddle/hook before removing the bowl, but it becomes second nature once you start using the mixer. It's definitely not a concern. On the other hand, it has taken me a bit longer to get used to lining up the three points on the bowl so it will "snap/lock" in place.

Although there is just my husband and myself at home now, when we get together we are a family of 19 so many of our recipes are done in big batches. I did all my holiday baking (as well as mashing a huge quantity potatoes for Christmas dinner) with my new mixer and wished I had bought it years ago.

One of my big concerns when I made this purchase, was what color "pearl metallic" really was. I checked numerous blogs and websites (both Canadian and US, visited several local stores and couldn't find a clear description). I was completely happy when it arrived...pearl metallic is a soft medium grey color...very rich (similar to the dark peuter color)...with a nice (easy to clean) glossy sheen. The service from Amazon.ca was amazing as well. I placed my order late Thursday evening and the mixer arrived on Tuesday afternoon. It was shipped from Mississauga to Thunder Bay (1200 miles)....free shipping and delivered right to my front door.

I do think KitchenAid should rethink their decision to include the mixer blades and hooks that are NOT dishwasher proof with this model. I have purchased an extra paddle that IS dishwasher proof (another $35 on sale!!). I know it's just a matter of time before I accidentally load the whisk or blades in the dishwasher (they look like they should be dishwasher proof....but my daughter has this mixer as well.....and I know for certain they are NOT!!...expensive lesson!!).
on June 26, 2016
We had a smaller KitchenAid mixer die on us, and after a fix that lasted for a few months before dying again, we upgraded to this. Zero regrets. This thing is awesome, and much of our delicious homemade food finds itself whirling in this big steel bowl at some point before being eaten. Tons of power, epic attachments (just imagine homemade pasta followed by homemade ice cream...) and fun colours. Don't bother with the smaller ones - this big guy is where it's at. My only complaint is that I need to spend more time running because of all of the delicious food thing thing helps to churn out...
on May 15, 2012
This mixer was purchased for us by my grandmother as a wedding gift, and we couldn't be happier with it. It has been used at least twice a week since we received it two months ago without any issues or disappointment. This is defintely a usable small appliance, and not one that will collect dust.

We have processed various mixtures with the machine and have had great success. It can handle a relatively large cookie batter recipe with ease, and a 6 cup mixture of notoriously difficult to knead pasta dough was mixed with moderate loading on the motor. It does a fantastic job of kneading bread dough, again with the included dough hook. The beater attachment works very well for high speed frothing and mixing of icings and meringues. Mixing of a more dry, sticky recipe like those for granola bars caused a lot of the ingredients to gather on the paddle attachment, but we found the remedy for this to be a short burst at a higher speed to "clean" the paddle off. At times it seems a little weak in the lowest speed setting with really heavy mixes, but bumping it up one level seems to solve this problem and allow it to operate normally without excessive strain and noise.

The only part of the machine we could do without is the clear plastic bowl shield. We do not find a lot of use for a shield, as by controlling the speed one can avoid the messes of ingredients coming out of the bowl. We found it to be more of an inconvenience than useful, and the only time it is on the bowl is when the machine is not in use!

Aesthetically, it is very pleasing. The pearl metallic colour and its shape compliment our modern kitchen well. It appears robust in design, and there is no straining or flexing of the machine during loading or operation.

Overall, we view this machine as an excellent purchase and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The heavily discounted price at Amazon makes it a much more worthy purchase than some of other Kitchenaid models that look great but fall short in the motor and bowl size area, yet still cost as much as the this unit in a store. Happy mixing!
on March 17, 2013
I did a lot of reading before deciding to buy this mixer. I'd discovered the extensive number of people complaining about their kitchen aids, but i also recall my parents which has worked for them flawlessly for decades, so i though a professional series with "all metal gears" was the way to go. Ordered through amazon which was great as always and arrived quickly.

..Opened the package carefully and with pride. I then proceeded to read the instruction manual. Once id read it (cover to Cover (skipping over the recipes)), i plugged it in and turned it on to the first speed setting
1. Good.
2. good.
3 good.
4.... No more.
a loud noise came from the front internal casing and it began to rattle like it had self-destructed. I shut it off immediately and my mouth dropped in amazement. It had died before even trying out all the speeds, let alone a single recipe

So, it was Dead on arrival. It sounded as though it just chewed up its own insides.
So we called kitchen aid and after a long conversation convincing them that yes indeed it arrived broken, and that we had not used the dough hook on the wrong speeds, they shipped another one and we sent the defective one back.

The replacement has been used for a total of 6 recipes. 3 cookies, 2 cakes and one cupcake, and frosting x3. this weekend while mixing icing sugar on speed 8 it started making this terrible rattle noise inside like something has broken loose. Ive had it for about 4 months and am contemplating calling them again for a replacement because this is similar to the noise it made when it died on us.

... ..when we told my girlfriends family about it, I learned that my girlfriends parents kitchen-aid pro6 had just died, and my girlfriends brothers had just died all within a space of a few months.
My girlfriends parents had theres for a couple years without problems, but the warranty is no longer active so i opened it up and found that the transmission cover was cracked in half.
My girl friends brother's girlfriend attends culinary school. I was also told that at this particular culinary/baking school there is a graveyard of these things laying dead, and that hers had died only a few weeks after we had bought ours.

So.. lesson is: This is a very nice looking mixer made out of the cheapest possible internal parts. Metal or not, it is terribly cast, poor quality tin or aluminum or something.

So is it all bad??
Probably not. Id summarize that this a good design made of poorly manufactured parts. it has a high probability of failure, but may prove to function to an agreeable service life. If a failure occurs, they are easy to fix and parts are cheap, so local repair or do it yourself repair is well within the means of those prepared to diagnose the problem, acquire all the necessary replacement parts, and isnt afraid of diving into a greasy job.

I know a few people who use theirs daily and havent had a single problem... so it seems that theres a bit of luck involved.
Perhaps its a matter of variability in the durability of parts. with such poorly cast parts, you can see how flaws are formed in the castings, leaving weaknesses in the parts.
Im not sure what metal it is, but it is likely of inadequate purity and a poorly chosen alloy... something that kitchenaid should see to changing. then again, maybe they dont care to fix it, or enjoy making money on selling people a new one or charging for repairs

You might get a good one, but then again you might not.
The upside is it looks like there is a large comunity of owners who are willing to lend support to one another to make repairs relatively straightforward for do it yourself repairs once warrenty is expired.

My advise is, know the market and know what you might be getting into when you make your purchase. Be happy with what you chose, just know that repairs are easier on the environment and wallet than replacement, and it is likely you will need a repair one time or another
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2016
Do not let the "KitchenAid" brand fool you! I've gone through TWO of the exact same mixers, both only lasted 1.5 years and both broke the same way! When my first mixer broke only 1.5 years into using it, KitchenAid customer service offered me to pay $150.00 to send a replacement mixer. They said this mixer must have been defective. I was not impressed to pay the $150.00 for a company error such as a defective product. This should have been their responsibility to stand behind their product! I paid the $150.00 for the replacement mixer, which I was assured would not happen again. Not only did the exact same issue happen again, it actually lasted the exact same amount of time- 1.5 years! How this company gets by selling an $800.00 mixer that completely breaks down within 1.5 years (half a year outside of the warranty by the way), is beyond me. So we phoned KitchenAid customer service once again explaining everything expecting them to replace this faulty product. Not only did they not offer to fix it, or replace it, or for me to pay $150.00 for a new one, but they offered 15% off a new mixer! Why would I spend another 800$ on a NEW KitchenAid product KNOWING it only lasts 1.5 years and KNOWING how terrible they treat their customer and their own company doesn't even stand behind their products. By 'breaking down' I mean it completely stops mixing and makes a loud sound as if the motor is breaking down. It is completely useless. I own a custom cake company and we used it for icings & small batch batters in addition to our larger mixer. Never used it for anything strenuous like bread or pizza dough (although you would hope it could handle that also-it does come with a bread hook after all). I will never buy another KitchenAid product ever again, I strongly DO NOT recommend this product! I'm sure KitchenAid has other products that work fine, however, after experiencing their useless terrible customer service I will never trust their brand on another product. If they can't even stand behind their product(s)/brand then how can you feel good about buying it? The second you have a problem-they're gone!
on December 30, 2015
I splurged on a Kitchen Aid Professional 600 mixer, thinking that buying the top of the line mixer would be a good value. I didn't use it much in the first year -- too busy at work -- but then began to use it. After a few months, it died suddenly, but by that time it was outside the warranty period. I called Customer Service to get a recommendation for an authorized repair shop in Edmonton. After endless time on hold, I got through to a series of "service" people who took my name, address, phone number, and then passed me along to the next one who asked the same questions. When I finally was able to tell the person the problem and ask for the name of a dealer for repairs, she told me that there are no authorized repair people in Alberta. When I expressed my disappointment in the product and the customer service, she said that was too bad, as they pride themselves on their customer service and that she could give me a sale price on a new mixer. Why on earth would I want to plunk down any money on a new Kitchen Aid after that? She then asked cheerily if there was "anything else" she could help me with today. What a waste of time and money. If you live in Alberta, be aware that Kitchen Aid doesn't bother standing by its product here.
on June 25, 2016
Ive owned this kitchen mixer for a few years, I picked this Stainless Colour, not only to go with my other Stainless Steel appliances, but blends in well as "a whole". It features many attachments, it also comes in many different colours to match your kitchen. You are also able to purchase any "Add-on's" to add to your collection e.g.. Pasta attachments. It also cleans very well when washing. One thing that I wish didn't happen is the bowl leaves scratches inside overtime. I also had no luck in finding the correct Pouring Shield to fix this. Not like I really needed it, but it would come in handy. With the limited amount of baking/cooking this Mixer does the trick.
review image review image review image
on May 24, 2013
I invested in this mixer about a week ago now, and the only problem is, I didn't do it SOONER! I have never made bread before in my life, and all of a sudden, I am able to make fresh cinnamon buns, and my own cinnamon/raisin bread, and yes even regular old white bread so easily without killing yourself with all that messy kneading cuz the machine doez it or you. And WELL I might add! The ton of cookies I usually make over the christmas holidays this year, promise to be a breeze!
on September 28, 2013
This is my third KA mixer since 1998. Although it has all metal gears, the bowl and attachments are not as high a quality of steel as my last mixers. My past two mixers were the KA Heavy Duty with 325 watt motors. Both were used to make bagels, focaccia and other breads for commercial sale. The first one outlasted the second by about one year. I was impressed as bagel dough is very stiff and they handled 4 lbs of it with no trouble. My new mixer I still have used to make bread just for myself...whole wheat 2 lb loaf. On speed 2 it handles it no problem, beautiful bread results. I think this is why so many people have issues with these mixers...they use it at too high a speed for bread doughs. There is no need for this as speed 2 is more than enough.

I also received a bonus scraper paddle with my purchase. I used it to make a cookie dough, did not clear sides of bowl so well. Not so impressive, I will have to try it with other batters before I can fully judge its performance. My only complaint is that about a week or so after my purchase Amazon dropped the price by $50.

Would recommend this mixer.