5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, timeless classic
One of my favorite movies (animated or nonanimated). THere is a quality and rich story that seems lacking in so many of todays movies (Disney movies included). The music just lifts you up and carries you into the Princess's world, and the ending leaves you with a pleasant sigh without being totally predictable. If you liked the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast,...
Published on July 12 2004 by enya1978

3.0 out of 5 stars An artistic triumph, a dramatic dud.
There is one truly great scene in "Sleeping Beauty" -- a scene, in fact, unique in all of Disney feature animation. Maleficent taunts the chained Prince Philip with the fear of growing old and ugly, while the sleeping Aurora remains young and beautiful, by showing him what will occur when she sets him free -- a hundred years from now. He sees himself as a decrepit old man...
Published on Sept. 10 2003 by William Sommerwerck

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Who doesn't love this movie?, Nov. 28 2003
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (VHS Tape)
This movie is probably my favorite old Disney movie, and it's digitally remastered, which makes it especially great. The colors are spectacular, and the story makes you fall in love with animation all over again.
Sleeping Beauty (in case you didn't know) is a story about Aurora, a princess, who, on the day she was to be given special gifts by her fairy godparents, she was cursed by an especially evil fairy. The curse was that on her 16th birthday, she would prick her finger on a spinning wheel and die. So, she gets taken away by her fairy godmothers and hidden in a small cottage in the forest, not told of her royal heritage. Everything is all fine and dandy until the day of her sixteenth birthday, when she meets a boy in the woods (who just happens to be her betrothed, though she doesn't know it) and her fairy godmothers give her a magical (which they REALLY weren't supposed to do) dress and cake. A spy for the evil fairy sees the magic, then the princess, and tells her, so Aurora actually ends up pricking her finger.
But, everything turns out fine and dandy, and everyone lives happily ever after.
Recommmended for: EVERYONE. Everyone loves this movie (for the most part), even if they won't admit it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Looks Great, Nov. 26 2003
I vividly remember the release of Sleeping Beauty. I was old enough to go see it myself - just barely. There I was sitting way up front eating my popcorn and all of a sudden this spectacular dragon materialized right before my eyes. Popcorn forgotten, I was hooked. Cartoons never looked the same to me, and I spent the rest of my life inhaling fantasy and science fiction on a quest for the same thrill.
Animation has changed quite a bit in the ensuing years, but even today Sleeping Beauty is a towering achievement. Now I'm more sensitive to the tricks of the art and can see the masterful use of perspective that made the scenes leap out at you. When I first picked up this DVD I half expected to be disappointed, to find it really wasn't so glorious in retrospect. This is hardly the case - this film is just as vibrant and alive as it was in 1959.
The added dimension now is that I can see how Disney's work was a formative influence on animation even today. Artist/Directors like Miyazaki owe much to this film and its predecessor Snow White. And they freely admit it. As a production, Sleeping Beauty created a sense of legitimacy for animation that proved that high quality animation was something well beyond the Saturday morning funnies.
Disney took a great risk when creating this film, pouring a tremendous amount of resources in making it something as perfect as was possible for his time. While the studio reaped the financial benefits, the audience was the real winner, as a whole genre exploded before our eyes. Even now, with anime rapidly becoming a force to be reckoned with, this film stands out for story, art, and music.
The additional features, especially those that retell the making of the film, are excellent as well. All captures in fine detail on this DVD. This is a must see for anyone who still loves a fairy tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite- long ago, today, always . . ., Nov. 24 2003
Between the classic Armitage backdrops and the beautiful animation (it's hard to explain to kids today that Maleficent was drawn BY HAND, not in a computer, a'la Pixar) this ranks among the most intricate animated films ever made.
This film is from an era when feats of animation were displayed without apology- the flames licking the vine that envelopes Sleeping Beauty's castle, for example(and really, the vine itself) are testament to a bygone time when stunning visual effects were all the more stunning for having come from a real hand, a real paintbrush, liquid ink.
The story itself is a departure, in classic Disney style, from the original Sleeping Beauty stories from cross-cultural folklore. Disney implements such characters as the fairies, the bumbling King Hubert, anthropomorphic animals (always) and the greatest villian of all time- Maleficent. These characters mesh with the sheer animation artistry to raise this bedtime story from the context of simple narrative to the epic romantic accomplishment of the type Disney is known for.
While we all, of course, anticipate the happy ending, the wedding, the classic Disney optimism, this one is worth looking at not only as an archetypical fairy tale, but also as an exemplar of mid-century animated art.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Classic But Long in the Tooth, Nov. 7 2003
I remember seeing this film in the theater, not sure what year. It was the habit of Disney to show their films in rotation, one year Sleeping Beauty, another Bambi, another Snow White, Fantasia, Alice In Wonderland, and so on. This was before the age of VCR's. When I saw it I was very small. Maleficent, the evil witch that put a curse on Aurora, frightened me, as she did when she became the gigantic fire-breathing dragon. I had a few nightmares about this film.
I would caution parents with very small children to watch the tape first without the child present to see if these images are appropriate for their child. At times, Disney was a bit too over-the-top in the earlier classic cartoons when it came to violence and death and I can recall a few other films he made where the images were too much for me to understand and frightened me instead. I remembering being very upset when Bambi's mother was shot dead, crying through a good portion of the rest of the film. When I saw Snow White's stepmother turn into the wicked old hag I could no longer look at the screen and wanted to leave the theater.
Disney's company was even responsible for a horrible cartoon called "Hitler's Children" that was made during WWII, I believe as propaganda. (I was able to view this cartoon recently and was appalled at the images and language!) So, even though these old cartoon films are called "classics" parents should take the time to view them before their children do and spare their children some unhappy moments. I wish my parent had had the same option.
The rest of the film tells a good story and the art is visually interesting despite being so old. I give this film 2 1/2 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Kingdom, Oct. 29 2003
B. R. Merrick - See all my reviews
The Disney of today could take a lot of lessons from this movie. Eisner has taken a wonderous, sweet, innocent, and childlike American Icon and turned it into the corporate entertainment equivalent of a fast food chain, desperately trying to please everyone, including audiences not normally associated with what Disney used to stand for (think Tarantino's "Kill Bill").
Most of Disney's recent animated films tinker with the classics in an effort to bring them up-to-date. As if today's kids are so hip, so thoroughly modern in every way, that they can't take a step back in time without references to modern-day satire. Who, I ask you, wants to bother with "Lilo and Stitch"?
This masterpiece was Walt Disney at his best. Look at the landscapes. The artists didn't bother with 3 dimensions. They revelled instead in creating terrific designs based loosely on the shapes and lines of nature. This was more in keeping with medieval painting. And listen to the lush musical score. Not a late 50's sound to be heard. All the music for "Sleeping Beauty" is adapted straight from Tchaikovsky's ballet of the same name. The creators of this movie heralded back to previous centuries not only for the story, but for the soundtrack and artistic inspiration as well.
This is exactly what Disney was meant to do, and sadly, no longer does. Put in the DVD and escape.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful..., Oct. 20 2003
S. Lin "SL" (Wellesley, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This was never one of my favorites, though I've come to appreciate it. I won't consider this a definite classic like The Little Mermaid or The Lion King, but it's up there.
I thought that Aurora's voice is a bit too womanly for her, certainly very different from the singing voices of the other princesses. And I know this is going to sound strange, but it just felt to me that Aurora and Phillip's relationship wasn't very developed. I mean, it's a Disney...but at least the other movies had more interaction between the characters, even though it was love at first sight. In this respect, Sleeping Beauty falls in with Snow White and Cinderella.
But overall, the movie was very entertaining...I loved the scene between King Stephen and Phillip's father, when they were drunk. And the three fairies are so adorable! I didn't realize till I watched this again that Maleficent also had a sense of humor when she captured the prince and told him that he would be released in a 100 years.
Families will definitely enjoy this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Remastering, Oct. 13 2003
John IV (Snohomish, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Sleeping Beauty was one of the first Disney animated films I remember my folks taking me to see. As a child during my 'dinosaur' phase, I loved watching Maleficent turn into the dragon and fight Phillip. The story, you should know by now of course, young princess whisked away by three fairy 'godmothers' to protect her from evil sorceress, raised in the forest unaware of her heritage, meets prince charming unaware he's a prince, eventually finds out they're betrothed to each other as prince fights sorceress. The re-mastering technique employed on this DVD yielded incredible results, the image was actually more vibrant and colorful than originally aired in 1959 and it looks marvelous on today's widescreen HDTVs. I was quite taken with the art, quite unlike anything Disney has done before or since with it's angular geometry and perpendicular themes. Aurora and Maleficent duel for most beautiful Disney female forms to date. The extras on the DVD are quite interesting as well. The original theatrical companion pieces The Grand Canyon was sublime and the snippet of how four artists paint a tree helped glean a bit into the mindset of the brilliant artists on the Sleeping Beauty project. Highly recommended, not just as a child's story, but as an impressive art piece and study of mood and texture.

5.0 out of 5 stars like rock on dude, this movie is narley, Oct. 2 2003
L. S Sumsion (Springville, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This movie is spectacular! yeah Walt Disney knew what he was doing when he made this movie! man. Ya know, I almost think that this is the best movie that Walt Disney ever made! but there are a few nit picky things that bother me about this movie, nothing major by all means, but what I am talking about is Phillip, now I think that Philip is alright for who he is but, the thing that I am knawing on is the fact that Phillip doesn't have like a ponytail or a mullet of some kind, like beauty and the beast, another great movie by Walt Disney, but what I like so much about beauty and the beast is that like all the men have Ponytails, that is how the hairstyles were back then, I mean like this movie takes place basically the same time as beauty and the beast, and notice the difference in the hairstyles between the two movies, I mean if there were more guys that had ponytails in this movie, alright all of the guys had ponytails, this would be the movie that I would like most of all by Walt Disney, but just that little detail can change everything, I mean it is sad that only kind Steppen is the only cool dude with the, I don't know rather he has a mullet or a ponytail but either way, I think you know that I am a fan of long hair. Okay I will stop harping on the hairstyle thing, one of my most favorite charectors in this movie is like not in this movie but like 45 seconds but, the servant dude that plays the gutar and gets drunk on Hubert's "drinkage" Man he is rightous, what really makes me laugh is when Hubert toasts to the wedding and king Steppen pushes the bottle away to where it is spilling on the flour and the servant dude puts his gutar under it making sure that King Hubert can't see him and he sits behind the table and falls over while drinking the wine, man I love the sound of that drunk hiccup that he makes as he is falling underneith the table, he rules man!. Now lets talk about my dream girl, yeah thats right the protagonist, Briar Rose, aka Arora, the way I will explain her is a line that comes from the movie con air, specifically from duncan malloys mouth: Sunsets are beautiful, new born babies are beautiful, she, she is spectacular! well it isn't word for word, but for the most part it is, anyway, she is everything I dream of for a girlfriend, spectacular, blonde, kind to everyone, man she is like the ultimate image for my dream girl, every single detail, nothing included nothing excluded, just the way she is in this movie. One more thing that bugs me about this movie is that they have a newer music group play at the end of this movie, what is it's name, oh yeah, no secrets now that isn't really the group that I would have picked for the end of this movie, the group that I would have picked for this movie is Huey Lewis and the news and I would have played Do you Believe in love, or a song by Pete Townshend and the song is called let my love open the door man both of those songs would work out great for this movie but all I can say is thank goodness it wasn't Britany Spears, I am not saying that she is ugly by any means but she is a bad influence, and I don't think that I have to mention what she and madonna did on that stage, I think that everyone knows what happened there, she is just wacked out in my opinion but yeah, anyway, I think that this movie is narley for the most part. I have some advice for those of you who have not seen it yet, it is a great movie and it is worth the time it takes to watch it all the way through, man you won't be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like rock on dude, this movie is narley!, Oct. 2 2003
By A Customer
This movie is spectacular! yeah Walt Disney knew what he was doing when he made this movie! man. Ya know, I almost think that this is the best movie that Walt Disney ever made! but there are a few nit picky things that bother me about this movie, nothing major by all means, but what I am talking about is Phillip, now I think that Philip is alright for who he is but, the thing that I am knawing on is the fact that Phillip doesn't have like a ponytail or a mullet of some kind, like beauty and the beast, another great movie by Walt Disney, but what I like so much about beauty and the beast is that like all the men have Ponytails, that is how the hairstyles were back then, I mean like this movie takes place basically the same time as beauty and the beast, and notice the difference in the hairstyles between the two movies, I mean if there were more guys that had ponytails in this movie, alright all of the guys had ponytails, this would be the movie that I would like most of all by Walt Disney, but just that little detail can change everything, I mean it is sad that only king Steppen is the only cool dude with the, I don't know rather he has a mullet or a ponytail but either way, I think you know that I am a fan of long hair. Okay I will stop harping on the hairstyle thing, one of my most favorite charectors in this movie is like not in this movie but like 45 seconds but, the servant dude that plays the gutar and gets drunk on Hubert's "drinkage" Man he is rightous, what really makes me laugh is when Hubert toasts to the wedding and king Steppen pushes the bottle away to where it is spilling on the flour and the servant dude puts his gutar under it making sure that King Hubert can't see him and he sits behind the table and falls over while drinking the wine, man I love the sound of that drunk hiccup that he makes as he is falling underneith the table, he rules man!. Now lets talk about my dream girl, yeah thats right the protagonist, Briar Rose, aka Arora, the way I will explain her is a line that comes from the movie con air, specifically from duncan malloys mouth: Sunsets are beautiful, new born babies are beautiful, she, she is spectacular! well it isn't word for word, but for the most part it is, anyway, she is everything I dream of for a girlfriend, spectacular, blonde, kind to everyone, man she is like the ultimate image for my dream girl, every single detail, nothing included nothing excluded, just the way she is in this movie. One more thing that bugs me about this movie is that they have a newer music group play at the end of this movie, what is it's name, oh yeah, no secrets now that isn't really the group that I would have picked for the end of this movie, the group that I would have picked for this movie is Huey Lewis and the news and I would have played Do you Believe in love, or a song by Pete Townshend and the song is called Let my Love open the Door, man both of those songs would work out great for this movie but all I can say is thank goodness it wasn't Britany Spears, I am not saying that she is ugly by any means but she is a bad influence, and I don't think that I have to mention what she and madonna did on that stage, I think that everyone knows what happened there, she is just wacked out in my opinion but yeah, anyway, I think that this movie is narley for the most part. I have some advice for those of you who have not seen it yet, it is a great movie and it is worth the time it takes to watch it all the way through, man you won't be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars An underrated, forgotten Disney Masterpiece, Sept. 24 2003
John Richards "Creative Writing Student" (MA, United States) - See all my reviews
In the fifties Disney embarked on a creative and artistic endeavour of unprecedented scale. Adapting the old folk tale of Briar Rose for a more recent generation, Walt Disney was determined to make this his swan song - his crowning achievement. Millions of dollars and more than 5 years was spent creating this lavish work of art.
And the film was successful, to a degree. Although not among the very highest grossing films of its year, it pulled in a respectable amount, and later more than made it's creation cost on video. However, seeing that Sleeping Beauty did not have the success that they were hoping for, Disney decided to not attempt such lavishness again, a tradition which has only been broken with recently.
But what of the film, is it worthwhile? The answer is yes - the timeless setting has created a film that is impenetrable to aging. It retains its humor, and the plot maintains an excellent balance of simplicity combined with challenge and confusion. The characters are all voiced beautifully, and each fit their purpose in the story perfectly. In addition to this, now that the film is on dvd, it can be seen as it was meant to be - in glorious widescreen. When you see the effect the widescreen has on opening up the framing and shaking of the claustrophobic atmosphere the movie had in it's pan and scan format, you'll vow never to go back.
It is worth noting that this is Disney's most humanist work. The movements of the characters are so natural and lifelike, and their motivations so uncluttered and benign, that it is impossible to wish them anything but happiness. The romance between Aurora and Phillip has been derided for being too simplistic, too sappy, too unrealistic, but those who do not seem to understand that this is what works for such simple people. Phillip is the ultimate good guy, while Aurora is the ultimate good girl. When they interact, everything feels natural, everything feels right. There is much to their romance than a simple list of adjectives.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Sleeping Beauty (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (Bilingual)
CDN$ 35.99 CDN$ 33.50