5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, timeless classic
One of my favorite movies (animated or nonanimated). THere is a quality and rich story that seems lacking in so many of todays movies (Disney movies included). The music just lifts you up and carries you into the Princess's world, and the ending leaves you with a pleasant sigh without being totally predictable. If you liked the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast,...
Published on July 12 2004 by enya1978

3.0 out of 5 stars An artistic triumph, a dramatic dud.
There is one truly great scene in "Sleeping Beauty" -- a scene, in fact, unique in all of Disney feature animation. Maleficent taunts the chained Prince Philip with the fear of growing old and ugly, while the sleeping Aurora remains young and beautiful, by showing him what will occur when she sets him free -- a hundred years from now. He sees himself as a decrepit old man...
Published on Sept. 10 2003 by William Sommerwerck

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney's Sleeping Beauty, April 12 2004
By A Customer
"Sleeping Beauty" is one of the first Disney films I remember watching; I was 3 or 4 I think. We used to rent the video in the late 80s one time after another (it wasn't available for sale back then). But then, I started collecting Disney movies and by the time I was 11, "Sleeping Beauty" was a faded memory, and though very young the last time I saw it, I was so struck by it, that I could remember a few details from it (such as the "Once Upon A Dream" sequence and the dragon fight). Then, in 1995, Disney rereleased it to theatres and one can only imagine how excited I was to watch it again. I can never describe the feeling I had while watching it. Everything just looked and sounded so familiar, as if I never stopped watching it. I eagerly awaited for the January (1996) video release. The tape never left my VCR. I watched the film night and day for a year, seriously. Everything about this film is so magnificent: the animation is stunningly detailed, the music is magical and the characters are highly appealing. To this day, "Sleeping Beauty" remains one of my favorite Disney films ever. It holds childhood memories of mine and the beauty of all that's Disney.

4.0 out of 5 stars Restored or recolored?, Feb. 17 2004
By A Customer
There is little doubt that this film is one of Disney's all-time greatest animated features. It's had a tremendous impact on our culture, for instance in the way we, for better or worse, imagine feminity and define beauty (Aurora as Barbie?). And Sleeping Beauty has of course also been parodied (as for example recently in Shrek). There can be few quibbles concerning this movie's iconic status, whether one agrees with its politics or not. It's definitely worth seeing and owning.
My query concerns the restoration that's been carried out. Yes, the image is much clearer and it all sounds great, as many of the other reviewers point out. The special features are marvellous too. But has nobody noticed that Aurora's dress, in the famous scene at the end of the film, looks orange instead of pink? In my older copy of the film the color alternates between pink and blue, but in my recently acquired print of the Special Edition Double DVD set the dress most definitely changes to orange. My 7-year old immediately noticed this and was, rightly, puzzled. One doesn't expect such a drastic change in coloration from one print to the next, and I cannot believe that the original print would have shown orange when the dialogue clearly implies pink. And one doesn't expect this in a restored Special Edition DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate in Disney Artistry, Jan. 30 2004
Will Rogers (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Finally, the apex of Walt Disney's achievement in animation is delivered on DVD in a breathtaking restoration. Certainly, the much-acclaimed artistic merits of "Sleeping Beauty" come to life here in a form that may actually surpass its original theatrical presentation. But the stunning visuals serve to enhance what is possibly Disney's most accomplished narrative. The subtle character touches and combination of drama, humor, romance and adventure play out in wonderful balance, all leading to an exciting climax that has often been copied in several subsequent Disney films...but never to the same effect. The story takes place within a completely convincing fantasy world, giving a real sense of time and place for the characters - and viewers - to inhabit. Children will never forget the warm and lovely princess, her charmingly realistic young prince, and the greatest villain in Disney animation. Adults will be caught up in a nicely paced story that unfolds with just the right mix of fantasy and magic.
"Sleeping Beauty"'s story and art touched me as a child, and the film continues to amaze and transport me today. The multiple galleries of production and concept art present a fine display of the substantial talent and imagination the went into the making of this elegant and elaborate film. This is truly a one-of-a-kind animated film that may never be surpassed, and this DVD package deserves a place in any collection of film classics, animated or otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Instant Classic, Jan. 29 2004
By A Customer
Looking at it today, one can't realize how could this film possibly flop in its initial release. Back in 1959, it cost a monstrous $6 million to produce and earned back less than that. Its failure almost caused the company a bankruptcy and as a resault, subsequent Disney releases used the cheaper Xerox style and the cut-in-costs immediately showed. Disney films never looked as glamorous or as lavish as they used to, up until "The Little Mermaid" arrived in 1989. Nevertheless, all the hard work put on "Sleeping Beauty" paid off. This film is still as breathtaking as ever, especially from today's point of view. Unlike today, where every animated film is made fully by computer, "Sleeping Beauty" dates back to a time where human hands used to do the whole job. And visually, it's definitely in the same league as today's features. One can't realize the amount of attention to detail (most notably in the forest where Aurora meets Prince Phillip). The music in the movie is by Tchaikovsky, so you might recognize some old tunes you know. Character-wise, Aurora is a pretty passive heroine, whereas her sidekicks, three charmingly sweet fairies, are much more effective in the story. The villainess in the film is the diabolic Melficent. She is up there with Ursula as the two best Disney villainesses ever. The film's highlight is generally thought to be the dragon fight at the end, and for good reason. It's masterfully animated and is an excellent example of how a good climax should be.
"Sleeping Beauty" is a masterpiece which should be enjoyed by everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who doesn't love this movie?, Nov. 28 2003
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (VHS Tape)
This movie is probably my favorite old Disney movie, and it's digitally remastered, which makes it especially great. The colors are spectacular, and the story makes you fall in love with animation all over again.
Sleeping Beauty (in case you didn't know) is a story about Aurora, a princess, who, on the day she was to be given special gifts by her fairy godparents, she was cursed by an especially evil fairy. The curse was that on her 16th birthday, she would prick her finger on a spinning wheel and die. So, she gets taken away by her fairy godmothers and hidden in a small cottage in the forest, not told of her royal heritage. Everything is all fine and dandy until the day of her sixteenth birthday, when she meets a boy in the woods (who just happens to be her betrothed, though she doesn't know it) and her fairy godmothers give her a magical (which they REALLY weren't supposed to do) dress and cake. A spy for the evil fairy sees the magic, then the princess, and tells her, so Aurora actually ends up pricking her finger.
But, everything turns out fine and dandy, and everyone lives happily ever after.
Recommmended for: EVERYONE. Everyone loves this movie (for the most part), even if they won't admit it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Looks Great, Nov. 26 2003
I vividly remember the release of Sleeping Beauty. I was old enough to go see it myself - just barely. There I was sitting way up front eating my popcorn and all of a sudden this spectacular dragon materialized right before my eyes. Popcorn forgotten, I was hooked. Cartoons never looked the same to me, and I spent the rest of my life inhaling fantasy and science fiction on a quest for the same thrill.
Animation has changed quite a bit in the ensuing years, but even today Sleeping Beauty is a towering achievement. Now I'm more sensitive to the tricks of the art and can see the masterful use of perspective that made the scenes leap out at you. When I first picked up this DVD I half expected to be disappointed, to find it really wasn't so glorious in retrospect. This is hardly the case - this film is just as vibrant and alive as it was in 1959.
The added dimension now is that I can see how Disney's work was a formative influence on animation even today. Artist/Directors like Miyazaki owe much to this film and its predecessor Snow White. And they freely admit it. As a production, Sleeping Beauty created a sense of legitimacy for animation that proved that high quality animation was something well beyond the Saturday morning funnies.
Disney took a great risk when creating this film, pouring a tremendous amount of resources in making it something as perfect as was possible for his time. While the studio reaped the financial benefits, the audience was the real winner, as a whole genre exploded before our eyes. Even now, with anime rapidly becoming a force to be reckoned with, this film stands out for story, art, and music.
The additional features, especially those that retell the making of the film, are excellent as well. All captures in fine detail on this DVD. This is a must see for anyone who still loves a fairy tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite- long ago, today, always . . ., Nov. 24 2003
Between the classic Armitage backdrops and the beautiful animation (it's hard to explain to kids today that Maleficent was drawn BY HAND, not in a computer, a'la Pixar) this ranks among the most intricate animated films ever made.
This film is from an era when feats of animation were displayed without apology- the flames licking the vine that envelopes Sleeping Beauty's castle, for example(and really, the vine itself) are testament to a bygone time when stunning visual effects were all the more stunning for having come from a real hand, a real paintbrush, liquid ink.
The story itself is a departure, in classic Disney style, from the original Sleeping Beauty stories from cross-cultural folklore. Disney implements such characters as the fairies, the bumbling King Hubert, anthropomorphic animals (always) and the greatest villian of all time- Maleficent. These characters mesh with the sheer animation artistry to raise this bedtime story from the context of simple narrative to the epic romantic accomplishment of the type Disney is known for.
While we all, of course, anticipate the happy ending, the wedding, the classic Disney optimism, this one is worth looking at not only as an archetypical fairy tale, but also as an exemplar of mid-century animated art.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Classic But Long in the Tooth, Nov. 7 2003
I remember seeing this film in the theater, not sure what year. It was the habit of Disney to show their films in rotation, one year Sleeping Beauty, another Bambi, another Snow White, Fantasia, Alice In Wonderland, and so on. This was before the age of VCR's. When I saw it I was very small. Maleficent, the evil witch that put a curse on Aurora, frightened me, as she did when she became the gigantic fire-breathing dragon. I had a few nightmares about this film.
I would caution parents with very small children to watch the tape first without the child present to see if these images are appropriate for their child. At times, Disney was a bit too over-the-top in the earlier classic cartoons when it came to violence and death and I can recall a few other films he made where the images were too much for me to understand and frightened me instead. I remembering being very upset when Bambi's mother was shot dead, crying through a good portion of the rest of the film. When I saw Snow White's stepmother turn into the wicked old hag I could no longer look at the screen and wanted to leave the theater.
Disney's company was even responsible for a horrible cartoon called "Hitler's Children" that was made during WWII, I believe as propaganda. (I was able to view this cartoon recently and was appalled at the images and language!) So, even though these old cartoon films are called "classics" parents should take the time to view them before their children do and spare their children some unhappy moments. I wish my parent had had the same option.
The rest of the film tells a good story and the art is visually interesting despite being so old. I give this film 2 1/2 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Kingdom, Oct. 29 2003
B. R. Merrick - See all my reviews
The Disney of today could take a lot of lessons from this movie. Eisner has taken a wonderous, sweet, innocent, and childlike American Icon and turned it into the corporate entertainment equivalent of a fast food chain, desperately trying to please everyone, including audiences not normally associated with what Disney used to stand for (think Tarantino's "Kill Bill").
Most of Disney's recent animated films tinker with the classics in an effort to bring them up-to-date. As if today's kids are so hip, so thoroughly modern in every way, that they can't take a step back in time without references to modern-day satire. Who, I ask you, wants to bother with "Lilo and Stitch"?
This masterpiece was Walt Disney at his best. Look at the landscapes. The artists didn't bother with 3 dimensions. They revelled instead in creating terrific designs based loosely on the shapes and lines of nature. This was more in keeping with medieval painting. And listen to the lush musical score. Not a late 50's sound to be heard. All the music for "Sleeping Beauty" is adapted straight from Tchaikovsky's ballet of the same name. The creators of this movie heralded back to previous centuries not only for the story, but for the soundtrack and artistic inspiration as well.
This is exactly what Disney was meant to do, and sadly, no longer does. Put in the DVD and escape.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful..., Oct. 20 2003
S. Lin "SL" (Wellesley, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This was never one of my favorites, though I've come to appreciate it. I won't consider this a definite classic like The Little Mermaid or The Lion King, but it's up there.
I thought that Aurora's voice is a bit too womanly for her, certainly very different from the singing voices of the other princesses. And I know this is going to sound strange, but it just felt to me that Aurora and Phillip's relationship wasn't very developed. I mean, it's a Disney...but at least the other movies had more interaction between the characters, even though it was love at first sight. In this respect, Sleeping Beauty falls in with Snow White and Cinderella.
But overall, the movie was very entertaining...I loved the scene between King Stephen and Phillip's father, when they were drunk. And the three fairies are so adorable! I didn't realize till I watched this again that Maleficent also had a sense of humor when she captured the prince and told him that he would be released in a 100 years.
Families will definitely enjoy this movie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Sleeping Beauty (2-Disc Platinum Edition) (Bilingual)
CDN$ 35.99 CDN$ 27.99