Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

on December 1, 2008
The majority of hate gathered for Vista have come from horror stories that have never happened to me. I've used both XP and Vista on my new computer which I built in Sept 2007, and I can say that Vista has turned this computer from the mundane XP machine to a modern desktop computer. Below is important information for those considering Windows Vista:

Compatibility - a modern computer system will have no trouble running windows vista with aero turned on. problems with compatibility lie with hardware manufacturers not releasing properly functioning drivers. a good way to check compatibility before upgrading is to google "[product name] vista compatible"

Power up - Vista combines features from its old sleep and hibernation states to allow you to fully power off your system (and power back up) in less than 4 seconds. this option has now replaced shut down as the default option and I've experienced no slowdowns from a lack of rebooting.

Windows Updates - Microsoft has integrated Windows Updates into the OS. The biggest change from XP's software updater is that drivers from your hardware vendors(needed to run your hardware) are now directly downloadable from windows updates instead of visiting each of your hardware vendors' websites. (XP offered microsoft's drivers for your hardware)

Speed - the basics in speed start with this: the hard drive is the slowest place to get data, while memory is much, much faster. A big complaint about vista was that unlike XP, it used a large amount of memory. this memory is actually preloading your frequently used programs so hard drive access is minimised, tremendously reducing load times for your common programs.

Stability - aside from a few crashes which were fixed with driver updates (maybe one or two in the first 2 months of use), Vista has given me rock-solid stability for nearly 7 of the 9 months i've had this installed.
on February 28, 2010
i bought this and it worked with no trouble . installed as it should , and generally works fine . note this is not an upgrade however , it is the full version .
on September 19, 2008
I have Vista in both my desktop (which was purchased shortly after Vista's release) and my new lap top. Now I haven't had quite the problem with my desktop that some have, but I've had some.

But I thought that after a year, at least some of the problems would have been fixed. No. In fact my laptop is worse than the desktop. I've had my computer for less than 72 hours and have had significant problems. I've had 5 freezes that forced me to restart, it's lost several files already. One time it will acknolage my UBS flash drive, but not the next. The same problem with my CD/DVD drive. I've had several temporary freezes that managed to fix themselves.
In short, it's convinced me to save my money and buy a Mac. There's no way I'm going to shell out my hard earned money for this dreck. I'd rather pay a more for something that works, than something that can barely function.
Bill Gates should be ashamed of himself for putting this utter garbage out on the market. I know it's not a big deal, but Microsoft has lost me as a customer.