5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer
Published on Dec 19 2009 by Brittany Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars An awesome workout, but really boring!
There is no doubt that this DVD contains three hardcore workouts (like Jillian says, "results don't come free"), but I just found the workouts SO BORING! In Level 1, you begin by rotating a system of pushups and squat-n-press; it gets very tedious, very quickly. If you're a person like me who's not really into exercise, but wants to be in shape, I recommend other DVD...
Published on Aug. 24 2010 by Jo

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer, Dec 19 2009
After working out with a variety of Biggest Loser DVDs for several months, I finally picked up one of Jillian Michael's solo projects, the 30 Day Shred. This DVD includes 3 levels of difficulty, meant to be worked up to over 30 days (presumably spending 10 days in a row on each level). Once you've hit the 30 days, or whatever schedule you work out for yourself, I recommend rotating all 3 levels for a nice variety.

To summarize, this DVD is fantastic. Jillian employs a unique 3-2-1 circuit training system - three minutes of strength training (divided into two 30 second / 1:30 intervals), two minutes of cardio (divided into two 30 second repeating intervals), and one minute of abs, which you do three times with different moves in each circuit. Jillian has two 'helpers' working out behind her - one who generally does an easier, modified version of a move, the other who does a more hardcore move to work your way up to.

Level 1 is a nice light workout that will still get your heart going, but without killing you - a great intro to the system and as Jillian promises, it does get easier with time, helping you to build up confidence in your body. Level 2 is by far the hardest of the 3 levels, with a large focus on the arms / shoulders / plank pose. Level 3, although challenging in its own way with many plyometric / jump training moves, also has some really creative moves I haven't seen in the other workout DVDs I've used, which actually makes it more fun than level 2.

Jillian herself is, as always, a great motivational force. She doesn't talk too much, her instruction is very intuitive to make sure you don't strain your muscles or perform something incorrectly, and she seems to know exactly when you want to quit. Her 'bodies' in the back are a little less inspiring, angling more towards the robotic end of things, but they thankfully show good form, and also a little humanity when they get as tuckered out as you do (PS - keep an eye on Natalie, she cops out on a few moves, which Jillian occasionally calls her out on...you know it's a tough workout!).

And most importantly - the results. This was a game changing DVD for me. I believe all of the working out I'd done leading up to this DVD was the perfect foundation for finally getting results. I've noticed my muscles firming up, my body slimming down, and generally just felt healthier and stronger, and very happy with how I've progress in general. I don't do all the tough moves all the time (or in a few cases, ever), and I should probably do Level 2 a bit more often, but I still feel great and happy I tried this DVD out, I definitely want to check out other Jillian Michaels products.

A couple of caveats for everyone out there - I feel like this DVD would be extremely challenging for someone who hasn't been working out on a relatively consistent basis. Having done five months of Biggest Loser DVDs, I was used to the types of moves explored here - lots of squats, lunges, planks, etc. Don't be afraid to slow down the pacing of this DVD - work your way up in longer than 30 days, I myself spent two weeks on each level instead of just 10 days. Additionally I think if you're on the older side, this DVD would be quite challenging, as I tried to get my mom to do a Level 3 jumping lunges move and she nearly fell over. Finally, I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than a 3 lb or 5 lb weight, unless you're going for a bodybuilder look. As it is, I mostly stick to the 3 lb as I find many of Jillian's moves are pretty explosive and can strain your muscles with a 5 lb weight. That's not to say it's not worth challenging yourself - but be aware that this DVD is not for the ambivalent towards getting fit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and those getting back into shape, Jan. 26 2009
I have been using this dvd for close to 3 weeks and I definitely see and feel results. There are three workouts, with level one being the easiest. Each workout incorporates modifications for beginners and those wanting more of a challenge.
I am trying to get back into shape and I can tell you that after doing the level 1 almost every day, I have seen results. I am almost ready to go to the next level, but think I will try the more challenging modifications before moving on.
Jillian is motivating and not annoying at all. I am turning down the sound now because I know everything she says in level 1. The 20 minute workout time is perfect for a mom like me trying to fit in some exercise before running off to work and getting the little one ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Jan. 6 2009
Amy VG (Southern Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Jillian Michaels is a popular trainer from The Biggest Loser TV show. While I don't watch the show, I read a bunch of Amazon reviews for this DVD and so, it looked like a winner. And I wasn't disappointed!

The DVD consists of three circuit training workouts, each equaling 20min in length. Each circuit is 6min long; 3min of strength, 2min of cardio, and 1min of abs. There are three levels, from easier (but not easy) to hard, and yep, I found level 3 to be really intense. What I really like about this DVD, are her cues on good form, her safe and controlled exercises, and her very unique take on basic strength and cardio moves. A lot of her cardio are fun polymeric moves, which of course, helps keep the heart rate up and gets it up there FAST.

For me, it's so tough to get to a gym, so it's nice to have a DVD like this to introduce new moves, and definitely for motivation to workout hard. Highly recommend this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, Dec 27 2008
This workout is awesome! What you should know is that it is a seriously tough. I've been working out my entire life and this was very challenging and exactly what I was looking for. It has 3 levels and in each level you do 3 minutes of strenth training, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of abs, 3 times for a total of 20 minutes. Each level gets progressively harder. I love how you feel completely worked out and exhausted in 20 minutes. I'm really unsure how a person who is new to exercise would do with this workout but it does have a beginner and advanced girl you can follow for every level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workout!, Dec 27 2009
I think this DVD is amazing!

I've never been athletic or into working out, so you can probably guess I've never been able to stick to any kind of workout routine. But, I've been able to stick with this, and enjoying doing it!!! I love the 3-2-1 circuit system, to me, this is what makes doing the workouts bearable. It is easy to keep motivated while doing the exercises, because you don't have to keep doing the same thing for 5 minutes at a time. It's not a really difficult workout, the moves are simple and easy to follow (Jillian explains everything in detail), but it does give you an awesome sweaty exercise!

Although I haven't lost many pounds yet, I have lost a few, but it is entirely noticeable that my body has become more toned, and looks better haha! I basically had no upper body strength when I started, so I am proud to report that I have some nice muscles in my arms now! I can even do a push up! My love handles have definately shown improvement, and that's mostly what I was hoping to get rid of. Overall, awesome DVD, I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am now SHREDDED!, Sept. 21 2009
C. Trueman "DayDream Believer" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This DVD was unlike any other that I have ever tried! Jillian's work outs are SO easy to follow, she explains everything so well and pushes you hard but with great motivation! I stuck to the Shred for the 30 days solid and took daily pictures. I was not overweight to begin with, but I was out of shape and I had been working at a gym and working out and not seeing the results that I was wanting, as soon as I did Shred about 3 days later I noticed a tightness in my stomach, I felt stronger, I felt healthier, I had more endurance- I can not say enough good things about the work outs on this DVD. I did level 1 for 1 week, then stuck with level 2 for a couple, and finished with level 3, now I do level 3 every second day for maintenance. The best part of the whole DVD other then the fact that it DOES work, is that the work outs are only 20 minutes, if you are serious about your fitness, about wanting a change, this is the best place to start, 20 minutes IS doable! I posted my after pictures on Facebook and had so much feedback from my friends, that now over a dozen of them, are currently shredding too! Everyone from my mom to my best friend, have taken this on, it is truly a work out that anyone can do, any fitness level, and you will feel amazing afterward!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just...wow, Nov. 27 2008
kitchee (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred (DVD)
To be perfectly honest I'd never even heard of Jillian Michaels until last week. My sister was raving about her after watching her on the Biggest Loser. I desperately needed a change from my usual workout, read all the reviews over at amazon.com and bought the 30 Day Shred.

Holy freakin' moly! I consider myself a fit person. I do Jari Love's Slim&Lean 3-4 days a week and my job keeps me physically active everyday but I needed more cardio in my life. This DVD delivers! There are 3 different levels starting with level 1 for beginners and progressing to level 3. All are 20 minutes, about 1/2 hour with warm-up and cooldown. All combine strength and cardio and all that is required for equipment are a mat and a set of handweights. Start with a light weight and work your way up! I started with level 1 today and it literally kicked my butt. There is NO resting, if you need a drink of water you better have it right there and make it fast. There were a couple of times when I just could not finish the set even though there were only about 5 seconds left. I think she's very good at cueing and also a great motivator. She does have two others with her, with one demonstrating modified moves if you're just starting out. She also shows you the correct form for some of the moves you might hurt yourself with if not done properly.

This is my new workout DVD. I'm looking forward to progressing to the other levels to see what she has in store for us. The time absolutely flies because you're not stopping but you feel great when it's over. Really gets those endorphins flowing! It is hard but it's quick and it's fun and it's a workout that anyone can do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 25 2009
Anne Stratford (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm 42 and just finished this workout for the first time about 15 minutes ago and I'm still feeling it! I have worked out for years but have been a little lazy lately. This should get me back to being fit, probably more fit than ever. It's great that she tells you not to shut it off, even though you want to. The fact that it is only 20 minutes made me know that the torture would be over soon. I plan on sticking with it for the 30 days. I was surprised how winded I was at level 1, especially after working out for so many years but it is a completely different way of working out and any change is a good way to pump up the workouts! I recommend it if you're serious about getting in shape or as an alternative to anyone's workout routine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible workout!!!, Feb. 10 2009
S. Howarth (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
I absolutely LOVE this workout! I did it 30 days in a row, but I had to work up to it. The first time I did it, I could hardly walk for a week! I think I did it 3 times before I was ready to do it everyday. After doing it a few times, I was no longer in agony the next day. I am a big fan of Billy Blanks' Tae Bo tapes, and I was shocked to discover that I work up a much better sweat in 25 minutes with the 30 Day Shred than I did in 60 minutes of Tae Bo! The moves are really easy to follow too (no choreography). I've lost 7 pounds in the 5 weeks since I've been doing this workout, and I definitely see a big difference in muscle tone. (I started out about 45 pounds overweight.) Let me warn you - you will absolutely want to kill Jillian while you are working out!! She is impossibly tough! This workout is not for absolute beginners, but if you are able to do jumping jacks, you can definitely handle Level 1. If you have problems with your knees, don't bother with this DVD. I'm struggling with Levels 2 and 3, but I enjoy the challenge. I love that you can choose what Level you want to do on any given day (once you work up to it) because it gives you a much better variety than doing the same workout every day. I think what surprised me the most about this workout is how FAST it goes by!! I recommended this workout to a friend of mine, and she is loving it too. For me, this workout was well worth the money!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get your sweat on!, March 30 2010
S. Smedley (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred (DVD)
Wow. These workouts are intense! I'm in fairly decent shape, making Level 1 just challenging enough, but whew, Level 2 sure makes me sweat! I've been on Level 2 for about a week and a half - not yet strong enough to attempt Level 3. You don't need anything more than a set of dumbbells and a mat - and I love that!

I do find it annoying, however, that you can't fast forward over the intro. You're supposed to do the exercises daily, and I'm so sick of watching the intro! It's boring, and brings nothing to the workout.

That said, the workout is great. Jillian is tough, and surprisingly, a little funny. She's encouraging, and I think she's really getting me results. Love the circuit-style! I also like that one of her "students" modifies the moves to create a lower impact option. The music is nothing special - just your run of the mill dance beat - but that suits me just fine. I'm working and breathing so hard within the first 5 minutes that I'm not even listening to the music anymore!

Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred