5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer
Published on Dec 19 2009 by Brittany Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars An awesome workout, but really boring!
Published on Aug. 24 2010 by Jo

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer, Dec 19 2009
After working out with a variety of Biggest Loser DVDs for several months, I finally picked up one of Jillian Michael's solo projects, the 30 Day Shred. This DVD includes 3 levels of difficulty, meant to be worked up to over 30 days (presumably spending 10 days in a row on each level). Once you've hit the 30 days, or whatever schedule you work out for yourself, I recommend rotating all 3 levels for a nice variety.

To summarize, this DVD is fantastic. Jillian employs a unique 3-2-1 circuit training system - three minutes of strength training (divided into two 30 second / 1:30 intervals), two minutes of cardio (divided into two 30 second repeating intervals), and one minute of abs, which you do three times with different moves in each circuit. Jillian has two 'helpers' working out behind her - one who generally does an easier, modified version of a move, the other who does a more hardcore move to work your way up to.

Level 1 is a nice light workout that will still get your heart going, but without killing you - a great intro to the system and as Jillian promises, it does get easier with time, helping you to build up confidence in your body. Level 2 is by far the hardest of the 3 levels, with a large focus on the arms / shoulders / plank pose. Level 3, although challenging in its own way with many plyometric / jump training moves, also has some really creative moves I haven't seen in the other workout DVDs I've used, which actually makes it more fun than level 2.

Jillian herself is, as always, a great motivational force. She doesn't talk too much, her instruction is very intuitive to make sure you don't strain your muscles or perform something incorrectly, and she seems to know exactly when you want to quit. Her 'bodies' in the back are a little less inspiring, angling more towards the robotic end of things, but they thankfully show good form, and also a little humanity when they get as tuckered out as you do (PS - keep an eye on Natalie, she cops out on a few moves, which Jillian occasionally calls her out on...you know it's a tough workout!).

And most importantly - the results. This was a game changing DVD for me. I believe all of the working out I'd done leading up to this DVD was the perfect foundation for finally getting results. I've noticed my muscles firming up, my body slimming down, and generally just felt healthier and stronger, and very happy with how I've progress in general. I don't do all the tough moves all the time (or in a few cases, ever), and I should probably do Level 2 a bit more often, but I still feel great and happy I tried this DVD out, I definitely want to check out other Jillian Michaels products.

A couple of caveats for everyone out there - I feel like this DVD would be extremely challenging for someone who hasn't been working out on a relatively consistent basis. Having done five months of Biggest Loser DVDs, I was used to the types of moves explored here - lots of squats, lunges, planks, etc. Don't be afraid to slow down the pacing of this DVD - work your way up in longer than 30 days, I myself spent two weeks on each level instead of just 10 days. Additionally I think if you're on the older side, this DVD would be quite challenging, as I tried to get my mom to do a Level 3 jumping lunges move and she nearly fell over. Finally, I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than a 3 lb or 5 lb weight, unless you're going for a bodybuilder look. As it is, I mostly stick to the 3 lb as I find many of Jillian's moves are pretty explosive and can strain your muscles with a 5 lb weight. That's not to say it's not worth challenging yourself - but be aware that this DVD is not for the ambivalent towards getting fit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and those getting back into shape, Jan. 26 2009
I have been using this dvd for close to 3 weeks and I definitely see and feel results. There are three workouts, with level one being the easiest. Each workout incorporates modifications for beginners and those wanting more of a challenge.
I am trying to get back into shape and I can tell you that after doing the level 1 almost every day, I have seen results. I am almost ready to go to the next level, but think I will try the more challenging modifications before moving on.
Jillian is motivating and not annoying at all. I am turning down the sound now because I know everything she says in level 1. The 20 minute workout time is perfect for a mom like me trying to fit in some exercise before running off to work and getting the little one ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 25 2009
Anne Stratford (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm 42 and just finished this workout for the first time about 15 minutes ago and I'm still feeling it! I have worked out for years but have been a little lazy lately. This should get me back to being fit, probably more fit than ever. It's great that she tells you not to shut it off, even though you want to. The fact that it is only 20 minutes made me know that the torture would be over soon. I plan on sticking with it for the 30 days. I was surprised how winded I was at level 1, especially after working out for so many years but it is a completely different way of working out and any change is a good way to pump up the workouts! I recommend it if you're serious about getting in shape or as an alternative to anyone's workout routine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible workout!!!, Feb. 10 2009
S. Howarth (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
I absolutely LOVE this workout! I did it 30 days in a row, but I had to work up to it. The first time I did it, I could hardly walk for a week! I think I did it 3 times before I was ready to do it everyday. After doing it a few times, I was no longer in agony the next day. I am a big fan of Billy Blanks' Tae Bo tapes, and I was shocked to discover that I work up a much better sweat in 25 minutes with the 30 Day Shred than I did in 60 minutes of Tae Bo! The moves are really easy to follow too (no choreography). I've lost 7 pounds in the 5 weeks since I've been doing this workout, and I definitely see a big difference in muscle tone. (I started out about 45 pounds overweight.) Let me warn you - you will absolutely want to kill Jillian while you are working out!! She is impossibly tough! This workout is not for absolute beginners, but if you are able to do jumping jacks, you can definitely handle Level 1. If you have problems with your knees, don't bother with this DVD. I'm struggling with Levels 2 and 3, but I enjoy the challenge. I love that you can choose what Level you want to do on any given day (once you work up to it) because it gives you a much better variety than doing the same workout every day. I think what surprised me the most about this workout is how FAST it goes by!! I recommended this workout to a friend of mine, and she is loving it too. For me, this workout was well worth the money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick & Painful!, Nov. 21 2008
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I just started this DVD and it's awesome! The workouts are only 20 minutes each, but they are killer. There are 3 levels and so far level 1 has me in pain. This DVD is good for anyone who wants a workout that will target strength, cardio, and abs all in one in a short amount of time. You will need hand weights for these exercises and a matt if your working out on hard surfaces.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Day Shred is just as good as reviews say!, Feb. 10 2010
Nadine M. Simpson "Dini" (Vancouver Island, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
I decided on this DVD after reading reviews on amazon. The 3-2-1 system is really great! There are 3 levels of workouts on the DVD each are about 25 minutes and begin with a warm up and cool down. There are three circuits in each level comprising of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minutes of abs. I really like the circuit training this way as I actually like weight training the most, then cardio and abs. Doing the abs this way actually gets me to do it. To me lying on the floor doing crunches is usually super boring if you do it for more than one minute. I have only done the first two levels so far, and level two literally kicked my butt today. I looked like a giant red lobster after! I did bootcamp all summer long and only some days did I feel like this! This DVD really pushes you to your limits so I am looking forward to results!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Jan. 6 2009
Amy VG (Southern Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Jillian Michaels is a popular trainer from The Biggest Loser TV show. While I don't watch the show, I read a bunch of Amazon reviews for this DVD and so, it looked like a winner. And I wasn't disappointed!

The DVD consists of three circuit training workouts, each equaling 20min in length. Each circuit is 6min long; 3min of strength, 2min of cardio, and 1min of abs. There are three levels, from easier (but not easy) to hard, and yep, I found level 3 to be really intense. What I really like about this DVD, are her cues on good form, her safe and controlled exercises, and her very unique take on basic strength and cardio moves. A lot of her cardio are fun polymeric moves, which of course, helps keep the heart rate up and gets it up there FAST.

For me, it's so tough to get to a gym, so it's nice to have a DVD like this to introduce new moves, and definitely for motivation to workout hard. Highly recommend this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars An awesome workout, but really boring!, Aug. 24 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred (DVD)
There is no doubt that this DVD contains three hardcore workouts (like Jillian says, "results don't come free"), but I just found the workouts SO BORING! In Level 1, you begin by rotating a system of pushups and squat-n-press; it gets very tedious, very quickly. If you're a person like me who's not really into exercise, but wants to be in shape, I recommend other DVD workouts like Turbo Jam, the Crunch series or the SELF series. These are much more engaging and fun. If you're really into fitness and like doing pushups, this DVD is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is AMAZING!!!, Oct. 15 2008
KrismarieD "Krissy" (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I exercise almost never, but I'm tired of being embaressed of my body. I'm not HUGELY overweight, like 20 pounds, but I don't want to just loose weight; I want to be fit, and toned.
I bought this dvd after reading all the awesome reviews, but I haven't had the willpower to do it until today.
This dvd is AMAZING. I only did level 1, the easiest level, and I was panting, completely covered in sweat, and about ready to fall over. I was so close to turning off the thing a dozen times, but my determination to look better, and Jillian's no-nonsense attitude pulled me through.
It's hours later now, and I still feel achy. What a workout!! I'm definately going to do it tomorrow. And, it's help me set a fitness goal for myself ( a first for me): to someday be able to beat the level 3 on the dvd without breaking a sweat.
So I guess the hitpoint of this review, is, um, BUY IT! If you really want to get in shape, get this thing. I've never felt so proud of myself in my life for doing something for 20 minutes!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy workout, but pays off if you stick with it., Feb. 8 2009
Onta Rio (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is certainly not an easy workout. I strongly suggest you start at level 1 (I'm pretty fit, and started at level 2...sweated buckets, and gritted my teeth through the last 10 minutes). If you're short on workout time, but want a thorough, challenging workout, this is THE workout for you.

Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred