5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer
Published on Dec 19 2009 by Brittany Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars An awesome workout, but really boring!
Published on Aug. 24 2010 by Jo

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer, Dec 19 2009
After working out with a variety of Biggest Loser DVDs for several months, I finally picked up one of Jillian Michael's solo projects, the 30 Day Shred. This DVD includes 3 levels of difficulty, meant to be worked up to over 30 days (presumably spending 10 days in a row on each level). Once you've hit the 30 days, or whatever schedule you work out for yourself, I recommend rotating all 3 levels for a nice variety.

To summarize, this DVD is fantastic. Jillian employs a unique 3-2-1 circuit training system - three minutes of strength training (divided into two 30 second / 1:30 intervals), two minutes of cardio (divided into two 30 second repeating intervals), and one minute of abs, which you do three times with different moves in each circuit. Jillian has two 'helpers' working out behind her - one who generally does an easier, modified version of a move, the other who does a more hardcore move to work your way up to.

Level 1 is a nice light workout that will still get your heart going, but without killing you - a great intro to the system and as Jillian promises, it does get easier with time, helping you to build up confidence in your body. Level 2 is by far the hardest of the 3 levels, with a large focus on the arms / shoulders / plank pose. Level 3, although challenging in its own way with many plyometric / jump training moves, also has some really creative moves I haven't seen in the other workout DVDs I've used, which actually makes it more fun than level 2.

Jillian herself is, as always, a great motivational force. She doesn't talk too much, her instruction is very intuitive to make sure you don't strain your muscles or perform something incorrectly, and she seems to know exactly when you want to quit. Her 'bodies' in the back are a little less inspiring, angling more towards the robotic end of things, but they thankfully show good form, and also a little humanity when they get as tuckered out as you do (PS - keep an eye on Natalie, she cops out on a few moves, which Jillian occasionally calls her out on...you know it's a tough workout!).

And most importantly - the results. This was a game changing DVD for me. I believe all of the working out I'd done leading up to this DVD was the perfect foundation for finally getting results. I've noticed my muscles firming up, my body slimming down, and generally just felt healthier and stronger, and very happy with how I've progress in general. I don't do all the tough moves all the time (or in a few cases, ever), and I should probably do Level 2 a bit more often, but I still feel great and happy I tried this DVD out, I definitely want to check out other Jillian Michaels products.

A couple of caveats for everyone out there - I feel like this DVD would be extremely challenging for someone who hasn't been working out on a relatively consistent basis. Having done five months of Biggest Loser DVDs, I was used to the types of moves explored here - lots of squats, lunges, planks, etc. Don't be afraid to slow down the pacing of this DVD - work your way up in longer than 30 days, I myself spent two weeks on each level instead of just 10 days. Additionally I think if you're on the older side, this DVD would be quite challenging, as I tried to get my mom to do a Level 3 jumping lunges move and she nearly fell over. Finally, I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than a 3 lb or 5 lb weight, unless you're going for a bodybuilder look. As it is, I mostly stick to the 3 lb as I find many of Jillian's moves are pretty explosive and can strain your muscles with a 5 lb weight. That's not to say it's not worth challenging yourself - but be aware that this DVD is not for the ambivalent towards getting fit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible workout!!!, Feb. 10 2009
S. Howarth (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
I absolutely LOVE this workout! I did it 30 days in a row, but I had to work up to it. The first time I did it, I could hardly walk for a week! I think I did it 3 times before I was ready to do it everyday. After doing it a few times, I was no longer in agony the next day. I am a big fan of Billy Blanks' Tae Bo tapes, and I was shocked to discover that I work up a much better sweat in 25 minutes with the 30 Day Shred than I did in 60 minutes of Tae Bo! The moves are really easy to follow too (no choreography). I've lost 7 pounds in the 5 weeks since I've been doing this workout, and I definitely see a big difference in muscle tone. (I started out about 45 pounds overweight.) Let me warn you - you will absolutely want to kill Jillian while you are working out!! She is impossibly tough! This workout is not for absolute beginners, but if you are able to do jumping jacks, you can definitely handle Level 1. If you have problems with your knees, don't bother with this DVD. I'm struggling with Levels 2 and 3, but I enjoy the challenge. I love that you can choose what Level you want to do on any given day (once you work up to it) because it gives you a much better variety than doing the same workout every day. I think what surprised me the most about this workout is how FAST it goes by!! I recommended this workout to a friend of mine, and she is loving it too. For me, this workout was well worth the money!!

3.0 out of 5 stars An awesome workout, but really boring!, Aug. 24 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred (DVD)
There is no doubt that this DVD contains three hardcore workouts (like Jillian says, "results don't come free"), but I just found the workouts SO BORING! In Level 1, you begin by rotating a system of pushups and squat-n-press; it gets very tedious, very quickly. If you're a person like me who's not really into exercise, but wants to be in shape, I recommend other DVD workouts like Turbo Jam, the Crunch series or the SELF series. These are much more engaging and fun. If you're really into fitness and like doing pushups, this DVD is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is AMAZING!!!, Oct. 15 2008
KrismarieD "Krissy" (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I exercise almost never, but I'm tired of being embaressed of my body. I'm not HUGELY overweight, like 20 pounds, but I don't want to just loose weight; I want to be fit, and toned.
I bought this dvd after reading all the awesome reviews, but I haven't had the willpower to do it until today.
This dvd is AMAZING. I only did level 1, the easiest level, and I was panting, completely covered in sweat, and about ready to fall over. I was so close to turning off the thing a dozen times, but my determination to look better, and Jillian's no-nonsense attitude pulled me through.
It's hours later now, and I still feel achy. What a workout!! I'm definately going to do it tomorrow. And, it's help me set a fitness goal for myself ( a first for me): to someday be able to beat the level 3 on the dvd without breaking a sweat.
So I guess the hitpoint of this review, is, um, BUY IT! If you really want to get in shape, get this thing. I've never felt so proud of myself in my life for doing something for 20 minutes!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy workout, but pays off if you stick with it., Feb. 8 2009
Onta Rio (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is certainly not an easy workout. I strongly suggest you start at level 1 (I'm pretty fit, and started at level 2...sweated buckets, and gritted my teeth through the last 10 minutes). If you're short on workout time, but want a thorough, challenging workout, this is THE workout for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Workout, Feb. 22 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I've been doing level 1 now for a few weeks and I'm seeing a huge difference in my endurance and muscle tone. The workout is about 25 minutes long and perfect for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time working out. I recommend this DVD for any level of fitness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian Rocks!, July 24 2008
K. McMurray - See all my reviews
I have Jillian's book "Making the cut" and the workouts in the book are tough, but having a video with the queen of mean pushing you through the hard parts is even better! I have been involved in fitness for the majority of my life and these three work outs are hard. I am on my 7th day - 23 more days of this seems impossible! All in all, after 30 days of this workout you will be 'shredded'!

-kg victoria,bc

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing workout, Oct. 27 2008
G. Petec "Gia" (Canada) - See all my reviews
I have bought and used numerous dvds on, with and about personnal training as I obsess over my weight. In fact, I own far more work out dvds than movies dvds.
This one tops them all. It is intensive, not hard to do (as there are different levels), easy to follow (as she explains everything very well), motivating, and most importantly, crazily effective. My body is shaping up as I have never seen and I think I am becoming addicted to it.
If your self discipline is high (I am a Natzi to myself) and you want fast and successful results, this is it!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars hmm, April 28 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I think it would be good for other people but since there is so much emphasis on ie planking,push up style segments, it doesn't work for me because of my wrist problems. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 26 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I absolutely love love love Jillian. My husband and I started this together and noticed a difference within the first week.

Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred