5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD for Yoga beginners!
Published on Feb. 26 2009 by Maribelle

I find this to be too hard, since I am a beginner. I was expecting much simpler moves to get me started, then I was going to slowly graduate into something a little tougher, but I don't think I'll be getting there any time soon. Excellent CD though for those that are already limber enough to follow along.
Published 3 months ago by jgreen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD for Yoga beginners!, Feb. 26 2009
Maribelle "MDJ" (Montreal, QC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
I definitely recommand this DVD for anyone starting Yoga, or anyone who wants to go back to yoga after a long time off. I haven't done Yoga in a a while and i was drawn to buy this DVD after one review... but i do not regret it! The DVD has a couple of chapters which range from 7 to 15 minutes long at different levels. It is NOT like other Yoga programs for beginners that are soooo long and boring that you rather just sit on your couch rather wasting time breathing on the floor for 10 minutes barely moving.

With this DVD, you move and learn slowly all the right positions. You will feel like you did a great relaxing workout! And the environment she is surrounded by is BEAUTIFUL and SOOTHING! Her voice flows and guides you through all the moves without expecting you to do it the way she does it, because she is truly in great physical shape.

Like i said, anyone interested in starting Yoga, try this one! I am already looking to purchase other Shiva Rea DVDs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Introduction, Dec 15 2008
Amy VG (Southern Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
This is Shiva Rea's newest DVD. It's a very lovely DVD which will help beginners build the foundations of yoga properly. It's actually the best instructional yoga DVD I've ever come across thus far. Shiva Rea's instructions are excellent. The backgrounds, which are outside on various locations of Kauai, Hawaii, are just gorgeous and relaxing. The first two practices, "Foundation Flow" and "Beginners Backbend Flow", walk through the basic moves. IMO after those beginning moves are mastered it would be nice to just do the "Beginner's Standing Pose Flow" followed by "Relaxing Flexibility Flow". Unfortunately to pick and choice your practice, you have to return to the chapter menu to pick each practice, instead of Shiva Rea's usual "matrix" selection system on her other DVDs.

This simple video is definitely for beginners and, perhaps, advanced beginners, however, more seasoned yoga practioners may also find this DVD helpful to remind themselves about proper form and to have a nice relaxing yoga program occasionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 26 2010
Karen Beauchamp (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
I'm not the most flexible or coordinated and I often have difficulty understanding and keeping up with what instructors are doing.

Shiva Rea made each movement so simple and concise that I could follow her with ease. She makes understanding the flow and feeling behind the poses clear as well, all while encouraging you to celebrate your strength and respect your body's limits.

This is a wonderful welcome to a form of exercise that beginners often find a bit intimidating and bewildering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done., Feb. 9 2010
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
This is a really good beginner yoga DVD. She teaches you some of the classic poses in yoga and the flow movements are not rushed so you do get the opportunity to set up into position nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to yoga, Sept. 15 2010
S. Craig "Windhorse" (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
I am a yoga teacher of Prana Flow Yoga have been a student of Shiva Rea for several years. While I've always appreciated her instruction for intermediate and advanced yoga, I wasn't sure how well she would convey the foundational principles of yoga asana for beginners.

Wow! I shouldn't have worried. This DVD is an amazing resource for people just starting yoga and for long-time yoga practitioners who want to move beyond practicing a series of individual postures towards deeply experiencing and enhancing the energetic flow of their bodies. Not only does Shiva present foundational postures and vinyasas (intelligent sequences of yoga poses) with clarity and gentleness, she conveys the essential principles of the flow of "prana"(energy) in the body so that even beginning students will be able to experience their life force, not just as a concept but as a deeply embodied feeling.

As a student of Flow Yoga, I use this DVD to remind myself of the foundational principles. As a teacher, this is an invaluable resource, reminding me to offer my students the gift of coming back to the source.

If you are fairly new to yoga and looking for the next Shiva Rea DVD for you, I recommend "Yogini" and "Daily Energy Flow". If you are fairly experienced in yoga and want a DVD that will help you soar, try "Yoga Shakti".

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Beginners, March 1 2010
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
I loved how this workout really did flow. As a beginner it had the perfect combination of instruction and movement between poses. I recently purchased and have tried a few beginner yoga videos and this is my favourite so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners!, May 5 2012
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
I have no experience in yoga, but wanted to try a dvd at home because I was interested in starting yoga to improve my flexibility. I figured doing it at home was safe and would only lose a few dollars if I found I wasn't for me. After a few searches, I found I kept coming back to this dvd and decided to give it a shot.

I'm so glad I did!

I bought this dvd about 8 months ago and have been using it ever since. The yoga is challenging, but more in the sense of maintaining the position as opposed to the acutal position. This is why I keep going back because as time passes I am steadier in the positions and able maintain it longer. Though I will admit that I am fairly fit as active cyclist and in my mid-20's. I'm not sure if this makes a huge difference because my flexibility was in rough shape when I started.

The music and scenery are amazing. There are 4 sets of practices, each a little harder than the last. I also really love that Shiva Rea uses a voice over so that it doesn't take away from the whole practice like I've seen other ones do. Shiva Rea is also very talented and there is no doubt she loves what she is doing. I think that is why it is such a successful dvd. I actually loved the dvd so much that I purchsed Shiva Rea's Daily Energy.

All I can really say, is that because if my experience, I reccommed this dvd for beginners. It is challenging a points, but no one says you can't stop and just take a moment. I believe the idea with yoga is practice and this is a great dvd to do it with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD though for those that are already limber enough ..., Jan. 26 2015

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Beginners!, April 15 2013
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
Tips and Techniques are very helpful especially for the beginners. All the relaxation modes are worth trying. Only complaint I have is the choice of music. There should have been couple of choices for the music to choose from. Overall, it's worth spending money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great video!!, March 30 2012
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
This video is very nice for beginners just starting yoga. Very relaxing and a great start for learning the technics. It is a little long though. Make sure you have at least an hour to do the whole thing! You do feel great when your done.

Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners
Shiva Rea: Flow Yoga for Beginners by James Wvinner (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 37.16