5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional show; blu ray rather disappointing
Published on Aug. 21 2009 by T. Low

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible season
Dexter began as a reasonably compelling TV show, but after its second season the producers appeared to run out of material and so began to sand off the protagonist's edges, leaving us with a gradually domesticated character who becomes easier to root for and distinguish from the criminals that he kills. In other words, they've betrayed the show's initial premise...
Published on April 23 2010 by Red Medicine

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional show; blu ray rather disappointing, Aug. 21 2009
T. Low (Calgary, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This show is fantastic; if you liked the first two seasons, you won't be disappointed with this one. I think I still prefer season 1, though season 2's Doakes storyline was superb. They have changed Dexter a little into a somewhat less "dark" character by suggesting that his kills are quick, humane and all about saving the innocent, whereas in the first season he's definitely crueler and more interested in feeding his need, with the elimination of criminals only a side effect resulting from Harry's training. What was great about the original Dexter is that he created a real conflict in the viewer, whereas the character is becoming more and more clearly a kind of "good guy" who works outside the law. The conflict was a GOOD thing. Note to writers: some viewers want to be challenged!

That said, the show is still a winner and the changes are subtle.

However, this blu ray release is a loser in my books. All of the extra features have been left off the discs, being relegated instead to the BD Live service. I hate this, as it means that the extras can go away at any time. It's not likely I'll be able to stick this disc in ten years from now and watch them. The biggest issue, however, is that I can't even WATCH them because apparently you have to attach some kind of storage device to your blu ray player to download content. I have never downloaded any content to my player before, yet it says its memory is full. We spent all last evening working on our setup and managed to get to the menu for the on-line content, but none of it would load anyway. It should not consume your evening trying to access content that they could have put on the disc!

I've already spent enough on the very pricey new player, new cables, and more expenses discs (ironic that blu rays cost more, but they come in really lousy keep cases. The blue trim is ugly, they look flimsy, and makers seem to dispense with cardboard cases (more environmentally friendly) or slip covers for this format.). Overall, they sure aren't doing much to make consumers warm to the format.

I'm seriously reconsidering whether I'll keep buying blu ray releases. Showcase, please put features on the disc if you are offering them! I feel quite shortchanged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love!, Dec 13 2013
DEXTER is part of my life now... I love watching this serie! It is very good! Micheal C Hall is a very good actor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter season 3, May 24 2014
I loved it. The twists and turns are more than I expected and I enjoy the comedy sequences. The acting is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tout est parfait., Feb. 20 2014
La livraison a été rapide.
La commande est exacte.
Les DVD sont sans défaut de lecture.
Je recommande aux fans de Dexter!

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, Feb. 3 2014
my sister loved it she loves the series and you cant beat that price its awesome she was really happy with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, Great Season, June 17 2009
This review is from: Dexter: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
Another fine season of one of the best shows on television. It's nice to see that Jimmy Smits is still around. Someone else wrote that they "find it difficult to associate with a character who struggles to understand humanity." I think that this very aspect of the show is a large part of what makes it so great. If you really never experienced certain human interactions, how would they look? How would you try to make sense of them? How could you understand? I think that everyone struggles to understand humanity and that Dexter's view is valid to someone who is on the outside. If nothing else, this single aspect of the show challenges viewers to re-evaluate their own human interactions and look at them like an outsider. It's a theme that carries throughout the series. In season one, Dexter was gripping with his relationship with his brother. In season two, he fought with himself over the relationships with his sister and girlfriend and his own mortality. In this season, he deals with the looming burden of fatherhood. These are all situations that many of us have had to contend with in our own lives, but seeing someone who views these life events as if he were outside them, looking at them without the emotion that those involved would possess sheds a different and unique light on humanity. It is said that the only way to evaluate something objectively is to look at it as if you were not personally involved. This is the burden which Dexter carries and what makes this show stand out from everything else on television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diadolical but hilariously dark Dexter, July 6 2009
Mary Wallace Morris (Dyers Bay Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
We loved Dexter from the start. His struggle to understand the rest of humanity is coloured with dark humour that keeps you wanting more. In particular, his thoughts as he passes through life are timed perfectly to lighten up the scene like small gems of "inside humour" that are passed directly from Dexter to the viewer. Get past the "violence" and you'll start to cheer Dexter on in his quest of good against evil.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Show, Great Season but be careful of the DVD, Dec 13 2010
This review is from: Dexter: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
I love the show dexter and I thought this was a great season but I found out that the DVD versions of season 3 could contain a manufacturing defect on Discs one and two of the season and only be revealed in certain dvd players. I Received the season and began to watch it and I found out that on the first disc there is a defect that if a person uses the play all episodes that the dvd will refuse to play the second episode (happens in multiple brands of DVD players)but if the select episode is used then all episodes will play. Then on the second disc there is one episode named turning biminese where there is a possibility depending on the dvd player that up to nine minutes of the episode will heavily skip. Now this defect is not limited to amazon stock hence me saying it is a mnufacturing defect since one set (Out of three sets that I obtained of this season) that I found at a local retailer had the same defect in the first disc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Season, just not as great as Season 1 & 2, Sept. 2 2010
Marissa Hammer "AngelPets" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
I love Dexter!
Season 1 and 2 had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I just couldn't get enough of them!!
Even though Season 3 was good, I just didn't find it as "great" as the others.
Season 4 though, wow! Now that's my favourite of all!!

I would say definitely get Season 3 for your collection, good entertainment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dexter Finds a Friend, July 25 2010
Kasey G (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
*THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

The plots this season were more all over the map than in previous years. That's not to say "Dexter" has become stale--it hasn't.

After their rocky relationship in Season Two, Dexter and Rita get back together and he eventually pops the question. In the episodes leading up to the wedding, he sometimes questions his ability to be a good husband and parent, but in the Season Finale, a conversation with Harry and certain desperate circumstances convince Dexter he is more than ready and willing to be a family man.

Deb gets a new partner in the cocky but twitchy Quinn, who gives off suspicious vibes for most of the season. Deb jeopardizes her chances of finally getting her shield by sleeping with Quinn's Criminal Informant. Again, things in the romance department don't turn out easy for her. There is a nice scene between her and Dexter as the wedding day approaches and Dex asks her to stand up for him.

With Doakes out of the picture, Angel gets promoted AND gets a girlfriend. The latter comes about through some rather unusual circumstances.

Masuka isn't used nearly enough, and his big moment of the season comes in taking charge of the preparations for Dexter's bachelor party.

But Season Three isn't all about love and marriage.

Dexter's first kill of the season goes awry and he inadvertently ends up offing the kid brother of District Attorney Miguel Prado (Jimmy Smits), who becomes the pivotal figure in Dex's life this 'go-round.

At first Dexter feels uncomfortable getting close and being pals with the man who's kid brother he murdered. But soon he relishes having his first real friend and the two bond until slowly Miguel discovers Dexter's tendencies and beliefs. It seems they are not so different from his own and he wants Dexter to become his partner in carrying out their special brand of justice.

By mid-season, Dexter realizes that Prado is even more blood-thirsty for justice than Dexter himself. Things begin to unravel in many ways once Dexter ceases to uphold "The Code".

The flashbacks with Harry are almost non-existent this season. Instead we see him pop up when Dexter needs his advice (I didn't care for the blurry filming technique they employed for this). Most of it is to warn and scold him about getting too close to Miguel, advice Dexter chooses to ignore until it's too late to tame the monster he helped create.

A serial killer known as The Skinner who keeps his victims under surveillance while tree-trimming is one of the continuing threads this season. However, this storyline did not have the same impact as the Ice Truck Killer or Bay Harbour Butcher of previous seasons, probably because Dexter really has no direct link with The Skinner. This diminishes some of the impact and suspense.

Kudos to Lauren Velez for bringing more layers to the complex role of Maria Laguerta. For a character I absoutely hated in the first half of Season One, she has come to be one of my favorites. During Season Three, Maria's loyalties are really put to the test, as is her trust. And despite her bad treatment of Deb in the past, there is a terrific moment at the end of the season that totally exonerates her.

Another good thing about this season is that Rita finally gets a backbone, making for a better character. But as the wedding approaches, Dexter discovers Rita, too, is hiding a secret about her past.

In conclusion, I will say this season went down much smoother and quicker than the first two. I was shocked when I put in the fourth disc to find we were already up to the Season Finale. So much had happened and at the same time it seemed like not enough had happened.

I will say that this is still my favorite current show along with "Weeds" and "Desperate Housewives", though both of those are starting to show their age. Thankfully, so far "Dexter" has not.

I appreciated having bonus episodes of "United States of Tara" on this set. It looks interesting and I may spring for that set if I find it on sale.

Dexter: The Complete Third Season
Dexter: The Complete Third Season by Michael C. Hall (DVD - 2009)
CDN$ 65.99 CDN$ 24.09