Published 9 months ago by E. Valero

3.0 out of 5 stars visually interesting
Stylistically, Tenebre is an interesting movie to watch, as are all of Dario Argento's films. As a story, there are some plot holes and some questions in the narrative. The acting isn't bad, but we aren't talk great here. The score is haunting, but seems to fall short often. The movie is great visually, but I don't think it stands up to other Argento films. This is not...
Published on June 13 2002 by adead_poet@hotmail.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick, Violent & Suspenseful. One of Argento's Most Entertaining Films., Oct. 17 2013
E. Valero "Eterno" (Woodbridge, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tenebre (Widescreen) (DVD)
When Peter Neal (Anthony Franciosa), a popular horror novelist visits Rome to promote his latest best-seller "Tenebrae", he is suddenly thrust into a world of murder and mayhem when a psychopath goes on a killing spree and uses techniques described in his book. The killer seems to be on a mission, killing off people (mostly women) who are morally corrupt and are referred to by the killer as "deviants".

This blood-soaked, fast-moving Argento flick is not in the same classic level as his masterpiece "Suspiria" or even "Deep Red" but his fans seem to love it regardless. The film is not really a horror film but a sexually charged thriller with an attractive cast, solid acting (although some of the dubbing is pretty annoying), creative camera angles (typical in an Argento film) and lot's of blood (again, typical of an Argento film). Like Argento's other work, this film is visually stunning. The entire cast is made up of photogenic, elegant actors; Daria Nicolodi, Mirella D'Angelo, Anthony Franciosa, John Saxon, Ania Pieroni and a whole array of European beauties. Argento also uses the color red effectively throughout this film; bright red lipstick, red stilettos, red cars, countless scenes of gleaming red blood. It takes someone like Dario Argento to make blood look so beautiful on screen.

This film was released in North America in a heavily edited form and under the insane title of "Unsane". I've never seen the edited version but apparently many scenes were cut in order for the film to get an "R" rating. "Tenebrae" may be violent but the violence itself is no more shocking then the numerous slasher films released from Hollywood throughout the decade so it's a mystery to me as to why this film was given this kind of treatment. It's a shame because not many people have been able to see this in its unedited form until it's DVD release.

"Tenebrae" (or "Tenebre") boasts a strong cast, a great score (maybe a bit outdated but it's awesome nonetheless), a good story, and an amusing twist finale. Like Dario's other film's; "Deep Red", "Opera", "Phenomena", "Inferno" and the enigmatic "Suspiria", "Tenebrae" is eerily suspenseful, looks splendid and is a worthy addition to anyone's DVD collection. Unless of course, watching beautiful women get the "axe" by a homicidal maniac isn't exactly your cup of tea.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars CUT? or UNCUT?, May 21 2009
J. Hopkins (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenebre (DVD)
Many reviews have stated that the Anchor Bay version is not uncut, implying that it has been subject to censorship. This is NOT true. The Anchor Bay release contains tiny cuts because the actual print of the film they were using was damaged in some spots. These cuts do not alter the story in any way, nor do they attempt to edit out any gore. See [...] for the specs and information on the various releases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dude really goes thick with the Blood Canister, Oct. 26 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tenebre (Widescreen) (DVD)
I notice that Argento is most often praised for his "set pieces," which are usually the suspense/murder sequences. I have to agree I enjoy these very much. He can be very slick. His movie "Tenebre" is actually fairly well constructed. It is about an American novelist Peter Neal (Anthony Franciosa) who came to Rome to promote his book only to be mired in the tragic deaths of many beautiful women. Seemingly based on his recent novel the girls (and others) all die horrific deaths with Argento's arsenal of ways to kill pretty Italian girls. Three very memorable scenes in this movie to my mind, and a recurring theme of deep human despair which I have found in his movies so far. Two scenes here which specifically communicate this sense of futility. The first of which involves eight or maybe nine if you go back all the way to the introduction of the minor character involved turns of fate in a lengthy and relentless sequence characteristic of Argento's films and for which I can see why he is sometimes compared to Hitchcock (though is it appropriate to do so???). It is a turning point in the film. I am reminded of the scene with the pile of razor wire in "Suspiria". The other scene in "Tenebre" more graphically identifies that theme in the image of a character impaled on a polished piece of metal, trying to pull it out but his hands are too slippery with blood to grip the object.

Stylistically speaking the movie departs from garish and moody lighting of "Suspiria" for a more frontal, "realistic" look. If that hallucinogenic quality is the only thing a person liked about those movies. Interestingly enough, people complain that it looks like a TV show and the commentary notes that Argento was looking into the lighting of American television police drama to incorporate into this film. Don't mistake, color is still important. You will notice there is a lot of white so that when someone gets killed.... The other Argento trademarks are here, and effectively so. Camera movement, cutting, and soundtrack are still extremely important. The soundtrack is by three of the members of Goblin and, while of course sounding dated, fits very well, especially in one scene where you hear probably the whole main theme played over the duration of a long elaborate crane shot. I'm still amazed that in a movie where sound is so important I am able to forgive mediocre dubbing.

If you ever find yourself trying to argue that Argento isn't a misogynistic film director, make sure you try and sway the conversation away from this film. The vast majority of sick violence is directed at the fairer sex, but never mind! The murders are typically well orchestrated, and it is obvious which part of his film that Argento values the most. I see that's part of reason why many respect this guy so much - he gives horror fans exactly what they want.

4.0 out of 5 stars The second film of Dario Argento's..I watched.., Oct. 22 2004
Jeremy Matthew Brown (Thompson, Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenebre (Widescreen) (DVD)
Where do I start? Before I watched this film I was full of hype. I had heard many great things about it. I sat down full of excitement and pressed play. The opening was really good, just like almost everything else in this movie. The only major problem I had with this movie was the ending. I hated it. I never would have guessed who the killer was. Well actually I guessed it at the begining but thought that would just be stupid if that person would murder people.
The music is so incredible! I listen to it all the time. It goes well with murder scenes. The gore in this movie is amazing! It looks so real and gross. I love how the blood comes spraying out of an arm that was chopped off! This movie was a good one but did not live up to the expectations I had for it. I enjoyed it none the less.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME SUSPENSFUL THRILLER!!, July 10 2004
This review is from: Tenebrae (VHS Tape)
This was the first film of Dario Argento I had the privledge of watching and I must say I loved it. The film kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering who the killer was. Interesting, nicely paced plot, decent acting, eerie soundtrack and great killing scenes make for an amazing flick.
I was so impressed with Tenebre that I wanted to check out other Argento works as well but "Suspiria" was the only one I could find around here. So if you have the privledge of seeing any Argento films I would check them out starting with Tenebre. That's how good this movie is!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Argento's On A Roll, May 27 2004
This review is from: Tenebre (Widescreen) (DVD)
Argento takes a break from the supernatural to return to his giallo roots. Many fans consider this one of his best and I'd agree with that. As I said before, it's a return to giallo, so the plot isn't 100% original, but it has some original ideas put into it. Plus, with the way Argento films his movies, does it really matter what it's all about? Tenebre is an awesome whodunit slasher flick that actually manages to keep you in the dark about the killer's identity. It's also got some of his most stylishly orchestrated murder scenes(you know which one I mean in particular). I've noticed upon repeated viewing that alot of modern so called "horror" films have freely borrowed from this film. That's an old story coz most Italian horror films have had their ideas stolen for modern horror. But, no matter how young and pretty you make the cast or how much you MTV it up for today's AD&D audience, no one can get close to Italy's style. And it's probably impossible to get anywhere near Argento's in particular. This leaves me totally flabbergasted by the rumors of a Suspiria remake! Think about that for a second, will ya-THERE ARE RUMORS THAT SUSPIRIA IS GONNA BE REMADE BY AN AMERICAN STUDIO!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of argento's best, May 25 2004
I've seen 7 of his movies total after being very impressed with
the first movie I watched by him suspiria. Out of Suspiria, Phenomena, Deep Red, Stendhal Syndrome, Sleepless and Inferno I would have to say this is one of my favorites. I even own the soundtrack its great !@#

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Argento's best, May 2 2004
This review is from: Tenebre (Widescreen) (DVD)
This easily ranks among my top 5 from Dario Argento.
This gem tells the tale of a horror author Peter Neal and his newest book, Tenebre. The book is deemed by some to be sick and sexist (since the victims in the book are females). However, a homicidal fanatic is killing people in the same fashion of the book! The movie definately has the stylish touch of Mr. Argento. Also, I found the cast to be rather superb (John Saxon is in it, and he always gives a good performance). A nice surprise ending too (though it would be somewhat copied in Stendhal Syndrome). Definately worth watching. Hell, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars axe me, Jan. 30 2004
jeff coco (silver city, nm United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenebre (Widescreen) (DVD)
long time argento fan, has to be one of my favs, violent , bloody, and artistic. deffinetly a classic in my eyes

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspense and Style., July 8 2003
This review is from: Tenebre (Widescreen) (DVD)
After having seen this, I'll definitely watch more movies made by Dario Argento. It's not your average cup of blood and gore; if anything, this whole movie is done with style--artistic.
I really can't compare this to "normal" Horror, as I just don't watch that often--simple entertainment is not suitable for me.
On the whole this 'perversity' was interesting, but made more so because of a number of extremely provoking images. Of course I can't tell you which...would spoil the fun somewhat {don't want to get murdered for that}.
NOT predictable.
Great ending.
That dog chase was nice! Dog chasing woman, that is. That happened to me one day, and I tell you, you don't want that to happen to you--no, I did not hurt the dog, it just charged.
Acting is okay--did not pain my eyes.
Pay attention to technical information; read the other reviews.
Best of luck.

Tenebre
Tenebre by Dario Argento (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 90.61