4.0 out of 5 stars "She's Not Me and She Never Will Be"
Madonna's "Hard Candy" was met with mixed reviews when originally released in April 2008.

Published on July 3 2010 by Kasey G

2.0 out of 5 stars I choked on Hard Candy
Dear Madonna

What happened to you?

I've been a fan since the start, I've seen your concerts, I've even defended your performance in Body of Evidence, and you give me... this.

Published on April 29 2008 by SithSean

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars "She's Not Me and She Never Will Be", July 3 2010
Kasey G (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)

While the album does have a few faults, I would place it on par with 2005's "Confessions on a Dance Floor". Most critics hailed "Confessions" as a much-welcomed return to Madonna's early dance-music roots. I, for one, wish that COADF had been more varied, something that "Hard Candy" manages better than its predecessor.

While the opener "Candy Shop" sounds like something that would be more at home on a Britney Spears CD, it's a little better than "4 Minutes", which is the weakest track here despite the fact it received lots of radio airplay and reached #1 in some markets.

Madonna unfortunately seems desperate on this album to work with then-mega-successful producers such as Timbaland and Justin Timberlake, and their sounds overshadow her own.

Fortunately, things improve greatly on the next few songs.

"Give It To Me" is a fantastic club song and should have been the first single. It's relentless beat and "Get stupid" interlude make this one a standout.

The same can be said for "Heartbeat", with it's pulsing beat making the song itself seem like it has a lifeline. The Timbaland effect actually works in its favour. Again a clever interlude ("See my booty get down") makes it fun and memorable.

"Miles Away" also received airplay and its personal lyrics made a connection between Madonna and fans since her separation from Guy Ritchie became public shortly after the release of this CD. "Miles" is serviceable but not outstanding.

"She's Not Me" on the other hand, though much too long to be radio-friendly, is absolutely the song that makes this CD a must-have for me. It has a great 1979 retro-vibe from the first note, borrowing heavily the Nile Rogers/Bernard Edwards "Chic" sound which I have loved since 1979. The bells and chimes are very Anita-Ward-like and it even has Donna Summer-type "toot-toot, beep-beep" whistles. To top it off, former Prince guitarist Wendy (of Wendy and Lisa fame) provides ample support. The strings on the outro are gorgeous. Madonna is always great when in "defensive-tough-chick/stay-away-from-my-man" mode (think "Thief of Hearts") and I can't praise this track enough.

"Incredible" seems like some sort of hot mess upon first listen, but there is something engaging about it, especially the second half when it gets a little more frantic.

Another winner is "Beat Goes On" which is also rather retro-sounding. Ironically, it has the same tempo and reminds me of the 1980 hit "And The Beat Goes On" by The Whispers. I could do without the Kanye West appearance since I can't usually stand his arrogance, but the rest of the song is so good, I can tolerate him here.

"Dance 2Night" is an average mid-tempo track. I would probably like it better if it didn't have the Justin Timberlake influence.

While many reviews have panned the Mexican-flavored "Spanish Lesson", I find it a lot of fun. Madonna sounds very playful delivering the sometimes non-sensical lyrics. Also working in its favor, it sounds different from anything else on the album.

Unfortunately, the last two tracks are kind of a let-down. "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" is competent enough, but it's another JT rip-off and "Voices" is forgettable at best.

I would say about half this album is average, but the standouts still make it a worthwhile purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars She's not just going to roll over and die..., Nov. 29 2008
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
...as many of her detractors hope for. Hard Candy is far from being a brilliant album or the best in pop music but she's still miles ahead of the competition. She's still the entire package with great danceable songs with infectious melodies and hard hitting beats.
This is the closest Madonna has been in the new millennium to replicating her early 80s dance image and it appears many are in fear of her being invincible in the industry. Ironically enough everyone appears to want to have the "old" Madonna back and this album has all the qualities of the earlier era of her career.

People now criticize her for teaming up with accomplished producers as opposed to the underground "groundbreaking" sounds she would discover and manipulate to her own advantage. So now she's playing a different game, if not more humbling and now it's become apparently more desperate on her part. Perhaps people would like to consider that Madonna is coming off a hugely successful album "Confessions on a Dancefloor" and wasn't in need of "reviving" her career. Perhaps she actually does appreciate Pharrel and Timbaland's work and wanted to mesh it with her own pop/dance sensibilities. And Hard Candy is living proof of it going according to plan.

Regardless of the critical response the album has received she's still ahead of the game. Michael Jackson is facing yet another trial, Janet Jackson is having problems sustaining a tour, Britney is nuts, etc. No one has been able to play the game as well as Madonna. And whether you pray for her to go away or sit and bicker about her, she's going nowhere anytime soon. So continue to enjoy the ride.

2.0 out of 5 stars I choked on Hard Candy, April 29 2008
Dear Madonna

What happened to you?

Now I know that Confessions on a Dance Floor is a tough act to follow, and maybe you're guilty of raising your own bar too high, but is this really the album you want to give us? Sure you've got Timbaland on there, Justin's boppin about in a couple of songs, and Pharrel is bringing his own hip-hop sound to the table, but where are you? Once upon a time you defined trends in music, and everyone was left scrambling in your wake to grab a piece of what you created, but now it looks to me as if you're running after them and trying to put yourself into a new arena to compete with other acts.

Okay so 4 Minutes is a fun little song, and Give It 2 Me is being hailed as the best dance song on the album. But I admit I had to stifle a yawn during Candy Shop; yes, sticky and sweet, your candy is raw... these lyrics are far from clever. You and Guy have challenging times in Miles Away. Incredible is anything but.

Are you getting old? Am I? Am I being too harsh? I always thought that as your career evolved you were getting ready to become this matriarch of pop, this reverred idol who nobody would be able to touch, but I gotta tell you, this severe left turn you have taken now almost reeks of desperation. You don't need to sound like anyone else - you're MADONNA. Take your own advice from Little Star on your inspired Ray of Light album, and never forget who you are. Because when all the music sounds the same, everyone else just might.

Love,
SS

4.0 out of 5 stars Get up and Shake it!!!, Nov. 18 2008
Paul D. Leney "Paul" (Calgary, Alta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
O.K. let's drop all the katty bitchiness (as per other reviews). This albumn is just plain good fun. Mads has always known how to stay up-to-date. How else can you remain at the top of Pop Culture after 20 some years? O.K. she is 50 and I did feel she at times like she was trying to trai lafter younger & fresher artists. It was still great music and isn't that what it is all about?

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Sugary Delight..., Aug. 29 2008
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
It may not be Madonna's best album. But it is so fun and catchy I can't help but like it. Its "Confessions On The Dancefloor" promised to (catchy, poppy...). My favorite tracks on the album are Give It 2 Me, She's Not Me and Incredible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get if only if you are a true Madonna fan, June 29 2008
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
I have all her CD's & I am a true Madonna fan for the past 20 years!
Sadly, I have to admit that this CD is not that great, I bought it because I get everything from Madonna, but this CD is absolutely not the best. You will enjoy about 4 songs in total!

4.0 out of 5 stars HARD CANDY IS STICKY AND SWEET, April 29 2008
Qian Song - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
The battle of the divas are happening, as both Madonna, Mariah and Janet release their new albums at relatively the same time. Madonna's new album, HARD CANDY, is what Confessions on a Dance Floor promised, and more. It is her last album for Warner Bros., and it ain't half bad.

Album Cover: 4/5
With this spandex image she hasn't used since the Human Nature video, this cover sure packs a punch. However, one cannot deny how much the cover has been PhotoShopped. Overall, I love the album cover, especially her ring that says M-Dolla.

1. Candy Shop: 4/5
Although some reviews have been mediocre about this track, I actually like this track. It doesn't have much production, or much instruments. It's just a fun and sweet track that comes more as an interlude than a full track.

2. 4 Minutes: 5/5
Who doesn't know this track? This song is one of her strongest, and the Timba-lake production only makes it 100 times better. This is probably the only song that mentions any world events, while the rest is sugar-full fun. Despite its slightly too long introduction, its beat and marching band beat will surely have you dancing all night long.

3. Give It 2 Me: 5/5
This track is very energetic and super fun. This song is great to dance to and Pharrell's beat at the chorus is surely one of her best. This, for me, contains her catchiest chorus since Open Your Heart. Despite the slightly odd bell-sounding ending, this is a track worthy of being a single.

4. Heartbeat: 4/5
This is a slightly fast beat song. It starts with a drum that resembles the beating of a heart, then transcends into a strangely groovy dance pop. Despite some cheesy lyrics, this song has enough hooks to be a small radio-only single.

5. Miles Away: 4.5/5
This is an almost ballad that contains the bittersweetness of a woman scorned but can still laugh her head off. With an R&B groove and a bittersweet chorus, this song comes off as a happy realization. This CD really is SWEET!

6. She's Not Me: 3.5/5
This is a catchy song that defends Madonna and her name. Despite all the copiers that came and went, Madonna has always been the queen. No one will ever get her off her throne. However, this song could do without the last two minutes.

7. Incredible: 3/5
This song could do much better without the last three minutes. Not her best.

8. Beat Goes On: 4/5
This is the only song in which I actually like the rap! Kanye does a good job and he should be proud. This song is totally transformed from the demo and is much more dancier!

9. Dance 2Night: 3/5
Great beat, but the lyrics and the song just doesn't amount to what she does before.

10. Spanish Lesson: 4/5
This song is where Madonna gets into the stern but sexy teacher mode. Totally sexy. This is where La Isla Bonita meets Into The Groove. Totally awesome.

11. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You: 5/5
This song has crazy lyrics, crazy beat and crazy production. Somehow, it has all came together and is one of my favourite songs!

12. Voices: 4/5
Despite some cheezy lyrics, this is Madonna's deepest soul dig since Inside Of Me. Love it.

Overall Rating: 4/5

Since its release four weeks ago, it has sold over 1,500,000 copies worldwide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak Effort, June 5 2008
Grover (Edmonton, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
I wish I could say something good about this album but unfortunately it's bitterly disappointing...and this is coming from a long time fan. I've been listening to this CD for the last month thinking that it might grow on me but the longer I own it the harder it is for me to listen past the first four tracks.

Though there are a couple of good tunes like Give It 2 Me and Heartbeat, most tracks on here are mediocre at best - if not down right terrible. Not a single song really stands out. Songs like Incredible and Spanish Lesson will make your ears bleed. The lyrics are just as scary as the album cover...pathetic and uninspiring. It's such a shame that the same artist that gave us 'Ray of Light' would end up releasing such trash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Madonna!, March 27 2014
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
After all these years, Madonna returns, makes hit cds, performs on tour, and trumps all the younger performers who aren't even half of what Madonna is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat and entertaining,, May 5 2013
Stella Carrier "joyfulwoman2078" - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
I initially reviewed this on June 15, 2008. I personally feel that the cd was overall very strong and entertaining. I admit that I can understand the viewpoints of both the positive and negative reviews. However in my opinion this cd helped solidify why Madonna still is and continues to be a shining example to others to always follow your dreams and that anything is possible. This cd is the type of cd that grows on you each time you listen to it. With that being said here are my opinions on each of the songs

candy shop 8/10 : a very strong song with exotic beats that would be perfect for a dance club.

4 minutes 7/10 a good collaboration with timbaland and justin timberlake with a strong horn.

give it to me 8/10: an excellent pairing with pharell that makes excellent use of the drums and conveys a message that you are here to win in life and that she will continue on regardless of what others may say.

heartbeat 10/10: One of the best songs on the cd in my opinion. I listen to this track alot on my way to work.

miles away 9/10: sounds inspired from love profusion but a beautiful song on how love can be appreciated even more in a long distance relationship.

she's not me 9/10: One of my other favorite songs about a woman telling her man that the other woman doesn't compare to her but does it in a groovy and fun way.

incredible 8/10: This song grew on me after the second listen and I like how the song praises her love in a very sensual way.

beat goes on 6/10: Another song grower but in my opinion is a listenable song about having fun and enjoying the moment.

dance 2 night 6/10: An ok song for mellow slow dancing moments.

spanish lesson 7/10: An interesting song with some spanish words in it that may not compare to la isla bonita but is still very strong and upbeat with singing about a girl who loves to fall in love and adds the catchy phrase "when you do your homework.

devil wouldn't recognize you 10/10 A very strong and magnetic song about her wanting to release her lover but keeps coming back to him more and more.

voices 7/10 A good collaboration with Justin Timberlake. Madonna carefully crafts an original masterpiece with this song with making the listener think about the societal master and slave roles.

All in all I think that this “Hard Candy” by Madonna cd is perfect to listen to for a good and uplifting emotional boost.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hard Candy
Hard Candy by Madonna (Audio CD - 2008)