4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!
Good movie with great actors. I would definitely recommend this movie to my friends and family. It's one of those movies where you can actually watch more than once and not get tired of it.
Published 5 months ago by Denise Vienneau

3.0 out of 5 stars Magic Technology, Good Pace
The starring role in this movie was perhaps the magic of technology. The action was well paced.
Julia Roberts seemed tired and wooden, as though her personality had been held underwater for the entire film. Her familiar facial expressions in the special features are far more interesting than her performance in the film. She has terrific offstage rapport with...
Published on June 12 2004 by Darrell Cleland

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!, Feb. 2 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Frank would have been proud, Jan. 12 2011
This review is from: Oceans Eleven (DVD)
Fast, catchy, and playful. Its a movie, not a film. Enjoy the fun and amussing story that plays like a really good preview for something better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better after the 2nd, Nov. 3 2007
M. Longazel "M L" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
One point I would make about this movie is that it seemed to make more sense and enjoyable after seeing 'Ocean's Twelve'. I think this is because a person can see patterns or themes develop such as the connection of winning back the heart of a lost love. This movie is enjoyable and pretty lite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dude...Its's a movie, Feb. 25 2005
There should be comments to reviews - cuz man alive, the dude who dissed the entire film and then had to bring terrorists into his review is a tad bit critical. Stop smoking the weed...paranoia is getting to you. And when it comes to movies, there's this thing called 'the suspension of disbelief'...obviously something you didn't indulge in when you were a child.
This movie is fun and about as believable as Lord of the Rings...but hey, didn't that get an Oscar? But who cares? Ocean's Eleven doesn't pretend to be a real movie, and that's what's so fun about it. Even actors playing themselves aren't really themselves. As for Julia, I'm not a big fan either, but she did the film (for scale) just like all the other actors for the sheer bliss of working with buddy Soderbergh. If it were a nobody, it wouldn't work. Because who else could play the jilted lover opposite both Clooney and Garcia? Certainly no one as minute as what's coming out of Hollywood today. Not enough screen presence.
This movie is fun. Period. And worth every second.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Stylized" Vegas, Aug. 23 2002
Andrew Fulton (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
The best, coolest, funnest and most enjoyable movie of 2001. It is hard to believe how this movie could've cost so much, but the payrolls where worth it. Pitt, Clooney, Garcia, Roberts and Damon all give excellent perfomances and I haven't even mentioned the supporting actors like Bernie Mac, Carl Reiner and the always talented Don Cheadle. There are also some very terrific cameos by Topher Grace, Barry Watson, Joshua Jackson and more.
The Movie Starts with Daniel Ocean (Clooney) leaving prison after having been there for four years. He Finds Out where Rusty (Pitt)is workin (Hollywood) and Daniel feeds his Idea of robbing three casino's. They Get a Crew of 9 more guy's (which makes 11) who will participate with the heist. Linus (Damon) the rookie is my favorite character due to the fact that he is both cool and a little geeky in the way that he carries batteries around with him. The Casinos they choose to rob (The Mirage, The MGM Grand and The Bellagio) belong to Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia) who is dating Tess (Julia Roberts), Daniel's ex-wife. He needs to trick Benedict in order to steal the money and his wife back.
The Dvd includes very entertaining audio commentary from Pitt, Damon and Garcia, The commentary from Soderberg and Williams gets a little boring at times. Don't buy the full screen version. You need to see the beautiful Bellagio casino and hotel. This Movie also has the best cinimatography I've ever seen. It is a must have and it is also a gos thing that they show they high-rollers in stead of the senior citizens in their tight t-shirts playing on slot machines. It is the Stylized version of vegas, I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soderbergh is the MAN!, July 15 2004
Reginald D. Garrard "the G-man" (Camilla, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ocean S Eleven (VHS Tape)
The last movie that I thoroughly enjoyed featuring a large ensemble cast was "Traffic".
Hey, wait a minute! Steven Soderberg directed that one, too! This man has a gift for bringing out the best in his performers, as well as crafting a film that is a feast for the senses. "Oceans 11" sounds good, looks good, and, if it were edible, I think it would "taste" good.
All the actors are fantastic in their respective roles but I must tip my hat to an un-credited Don Cheadle with his Cockney accent, legendary Carl Reiner, and Andy Garcia who is classy yet effectively menacing as the casino owner robbed of his millions by Clooney and company. Julia Roberts makes great use of her limited screen time, looking exquisite as the woman torn between two men.
Although I have yet to see the original, I don't think it can top this vastly entertaining heist flick.

5.0 out of 5 stars S-T-Y-L-E, July 11 2004
Thats all this film is. STYLE. It is amazing to me that this film has all of these fine actors, and none of them tried to steal the show, like I thought they were going to do. I love the plot of the film, I LOVE the scene after they were done with the Job, all of the theives are standing watching the water fountains, each one walking away one at a time. The music is classic, and really adds to the value of the film. By FAR, one of the best films I have ever seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ocean's Eleven, July 10 2004
Ocean's Eleven is a very cool film that went way over my expectations.It has a great plot and I've heard it's much better than the remake.The dialogue is very smart and witty.That is one thing I loved about the film.The plot is also extremely smart and has a great cast to boost it to big success.I was suprised that George Clooney was pretty goo; I've always hated him since Batman & Robin.Brad Pitt was also extremely well prepared and did one of the best performances in the film.Julia Roberts was also a nice addotion even though I didn't like her work in Mona Lisa Smile.Matt Damon was another great start that finnally finished off Ocean's Eleven.Steven Soderbergh did a great job and I give him thumbs up for that.I loved the big band music and the blues it really added to the classy and elegant feeling of the film.I loved their plans and all the twists and turns that the film took.I love it when films out smart you and this one does a great job at that.The whole cast deserves two big thumbs up.I can't wait to see Ocean's Twelve.If you have not experienced this greatly designed and made film you need top check it out as soon as you can.
Loosely based on the 1960 Rat Pack film of the same name, OCEAN'S 11 is a hi-tech crime comedy that features a top-notch cast. Con man Danny Ocean (George Clooney) has just been released from a four-year jail term and decides that his first order of business is robbing three Las Vegas casinos owned by the slimy Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia). To pull off this nearly impossible task, he quickly assembles an eclectic crew--including a card shark (Brad Pitt), a pickpocket (Matt Damon), an explosives expert (Don Cheadle), and an aging gambler (Carl Reiner)--and seeks financial backing from a freewheeling casino mogul (Elliott Gould) who holds a grudge against Benedict. However, it soon becomes apparent that Ocean has more at stake than money and his newly found freedom--his ex-wife, Tess (Julia Roberts), just happens to be Benedict's new girlfriend. Can Ocean steal back Tess's heart and more than a hundred million dollars at the same time?
"A simple plan with a straightforward execution."
-- Jeanne Aufmuth, PALO ALTO WEEKLY

4.0 out of 5 stars Loosen up folks. Great escapism and pure fun. 4+ stars, July 7 2004
guillermoj (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
Some people are really taking this movie way too seriously, but I am glad that I read many reviews on this site before taking a chance on it on DVD as I did not get around to see it when it first came out.
Where do I start with this ultra-cool flick (which by the way is a remake of a movie that I did not see)? I can safely say that it's the most fun I've had seeing a movie in a long time. The cast is sublime and just they sink their teeth into these ultra-cool characters and don't let go until the final frame. I am always impressed by George Clooney's quiet strength and humor, but I was knocked out by Brad Pitt. I have not seen him this self-assured since his star-making supporting performance in "Thelma & Louise". In my opinion, although this is an ensemble cast from heaven, Pitt's role is just to cool for school and with the aforementioned exception, I've never been a big Brad Pitt fan. There is a scene in which Pitt is teaching something (I won't give it away) some current teen stars in Hollywood (playing themselves) that is priceless. The only casting choice that I question is Julia Roberts. She has an amazing stage presence and deserves to be the major movie star that she is, but I just don't see the sparks fly between her and George Clooney (to see an example of scorching chemistry with George Clooney catch "Out Of Sight with Jennifer Lopez, when she was not annoying beyong belief and looked like a really promising actress, but I digress) and this movie is all sparks. However, her relationship with Andy Garcia is believable.
This movie is a hoot and I found myself wanting the movie not to end as it moves at lazer speed but it's not like some movies where the stars are secondary to the screen. Here the effects support the actors and give them a playground. The cinematography is gorgeous as are the director's choices with colors. The scenary is lavish and as is the case with movies from directors like Martin Scorsece, here you never doubt that you are where you are supposed to be. I can smell the money and the Vegas mood in a way that is rarely accomplished by lesser directors.
Possible spoiler: Some reviewers have qualms with a couple of story limitations and I never noticed the first one and there is some validity the comments. With regard to the ending, although part of me wishes that the movie had ended with the group watching the fountains dance; I don't agree with those who claim that the ending is flawed. Do you think that the story really ends that way? I think not, there will be a price to pay and the goons in the car are not going to play nice. I think that the director chose to focus on the dance, while the price that they will pay belongs in a different genre and I am glad that we got all dance.
In a nutshell, if you want to put aside all your everyday troubles and enjoy some well cast escapism performed by actors at the top of the craft and directed by one of the most interesting directors working today, see this movie now. Unlike others in the genre, it does not try to be all things to all people and just focuses on being a thrilling ride. I usually reserve 5 stars to classics, but I give this almost 5 stars because it manages to go exactly what it set out to do and made me want to watch it again as soon as I finished it. Not many movies, if any, have given me that thrill.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's too late to be clever - just a darn good movie, July 6 2004
It's not easy for me to review this movie, as I couldn't possibly comment on the likelihood of them accomplishing what they set out to accomplish. But this is fiction, and I expect that Las Vegas casino owners or security personnel who saw this film found themselves rolling in the aisles. That's just my guess.
That aside, this was a brilliantly directed and acted film. It's difficult to direct an ensemble of three characters and have each of them fully realized. More difficult by far to have an ensemble of eleven. But Soderbergh pulls it off admirably.
Casting decisions were also well made. I didn't see the original movie (although I intend to), so I don't know who was who, but it was fascinating to watch Brad Pitt and George Clooney (both often selected or at least short listed as the sexiest men alive) engage in discussion, the camera switching from one face to another. One can imagine half of the women (and some men, let's be honest here) in the audience swooning for five seconds while the camera rests on Clooney, and they the other half swooning for Brad.
Other than Clooney and Pitt, Scott Caan and Casey Affleck (the brothers) had a perfect onscreen banter. You really felt for Matt Damon's character (another sexiest man alive short-lister) when he was shut up in the van with them, and his reason for fleeing. Damon himself demonstrated his usual talent, nervous while being instructed on how to play the role of a Nevada Gaming Official, but playing it perfectly when it came time.
Andy Garcia had just the right amount of frigidity and rigidity, but not enough evincible power.
To me, this was a movie about some the high jinks of the robbery and the comedy that some of these high jinks produced, and the terrific banter of the various characters. The ending was very satisfying, kept me in suspense, and surprised me (I didn't see it coming). This is what movies are supposed to do.
I'm very much looking forward to Ocean's 12.

Ocean's Eleven [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 9.99