4.0 out of 5 stars Oh those Canadians!
"Raisins come from grapes

Published 2 months ago by S. Delottinville

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh those Canadians!, May 19 2008
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
"Raisins come from grapes
People come from apes
I come from Canada"

(lyrics from "Raisins")

This Canadian alt-rock band scores big with my family with this album of 24 original and hilarious songs for kids. For a taste of the album make sure you watch the video on the Amazon product page for the first track "7,8,9", based on the old pun about a very hungry number seven.

Whether they're singing about ninjas or pollywogs, allergies or the alphabet, BNL never fail to bring a smile to your face with the clever lyrics and catchy tunes.

The ones we really like are "The Ninjas"; "Pollywog in a Bog"; "Raisins"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy ii - Popcorn"; "Allergies"; and "I Don't Like". The one that made me smile is "Crazy ABC's", and I'll list a few letters so you can see why.

A is for Aisle

H is for Hour
J is for Jalapeno
M is for Mnemonic
T is for Tsunami

The one small problem is that there are a few too many slower tracks that are pretty good as folk ballads, but not so good at holding the attention of younger kids. Some of these are "Louis Loon", "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy iii - Vegetables"; "My Big Sister" and "Bad Day". The melodies are nice, but will be more to the liking of slightly older folk. (Think Gordon Lightfoot)

One fun bit of trivia is that at the end of "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime" various people tell you their favorite snacks, and these people include Gordon Lightfoot, Geddy Lee, Lyle Lovett, Sarah MacLachlan, Jason Priestley, Janeane Garofalo and Weird Al Yankovic.

Light-hearted, punny, clever and very, very entertaining - this is an album the whole family can enjoy and sing along to between giggles.

Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Ladies re-visit their inner child, June 13 2008
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
I can't listen to this record without getting a huge smile on my face; the songs are very catchy and clever, and you can just bet that BNL had a great time when they were making it.

My favourites are, well darnit, I can't pick just one or two songs; they all leave me smiling.

I suppose that I would have to say that the wonderful Gordon Lightfoot pastiche called "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy" tickles me the most.

I am looking forward to giving this cd/book to my three nieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for parents and children!, July 10 2008
J. Shorman "come on'a my library" (Kelowna, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
This disc is an entertaining romp with the Barenaked Ladies. My 11 month old listens quite intently and especially likes 789. My husband and I also find ourselves singing along. I would like to commend the group for their quality lyrics, music and Canadian Pride!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tunes, witty and in different genres, July 4 2008
S. Mah "vancouvermom" (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
My six year old son loves this CD. He was very skeptical at first but it's the only CD we've been playing in the car for the past two weeks. The lyrics are witty (some jokes and play on words may be too sophisticated for the very young) and the tunes are catchy. You'll find yourself singing along to The Ninjas or to 7, 8, 9 before long!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Ladies having fun, June 12 2008
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
This is a fun album, that even my husband and I enjoy. It's probably better for slightly older kids (4+) than the usual Raffi crowd, but my preschooler thinks that 789 is hilarious and my toddler bounces to the Polliwog song. It takes a couple of listens to really enjoy, but now it's the primary choice in our house. Dare I say that even people without kids will enjoy the 'Ladies having fun on this album?!

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, July 3 2014
S. Delottinville (Dundas, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
cute but only for those with very small children

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kids CD, March 7 2014
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
Very cute songs and clever lyrics as always from the BNL! Would recommend adding this to any collection of kid music

5.0 out of 5 stars supporting purchase, Jan. 2 2014
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
I like the songs very much and bought it to thank the Bare Naked Ladies for cancelling their show at sea world to indicate their concern for the animals of the planet Good compassionate Canadians and talented with it!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cd!, June 7 2013
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
I bought 1 song on itunes and liked it so much I downloaded the whole album. I play it for my granddaughter when she is visiting. I bought this album for her to listen to at home. Our favourite is "6,7,8,10. What happened to 9?.... 7 (ate) 9!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite children's CD!, April 15 2013
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
This is by far our favourite CD for our toddler son. He loves and so do we. It's not only one of the most tolerable kids' CDs but we actually really enjoy it. We have even put it on a few times when our son wasn't around haha. The lyrics are great and original and the songs are all fun. Some of our favourite tunes are: Raisins, Food Party, Popcorn, Vegetable Town, and Crazy ABC's. The best!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Snacktime
Snacktime by Barenaked Ladies (Audio CD - 2008)