4.0 out of 5 stars Oh those Canadians!
"Raisins come from grapes

Published 21 days ago by S. Delottinville

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh those Canadians!, May 19 2008
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
"Raisins come from grapes
People come from apes
I come from Canada"

(lyrics from "Raisins")

This Canadian alt-rock band scores big with my family with this album of 24 original and hilarious songs for kids. For a taste of the album make sure you watch the video on the Amazon product page for the first track "7,8,9", based on the old pun about a very hungry number seven.

Whether they're singing about ninjas or pollywogs, allergies or the alphabet, BNL never fail to bring a smile to your face with the clever lyrics and catchy tunes.

The ones we really like are "The Ninjas"; "Pollywog in a Bog"; "Raisins"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy ii - Popcorn"; "Allergies"; and "I Don't Like". The one that made me smile is "Crazy ABC's", and I'll list a few letters so you can see why.

A is for Aisle

H is for Hour
J is for Jalapeno
M is for Mnemonic
T is for Tsunami

The one small problem is that there are a few too many slower tracks that are pretty good as folk ballads, but not so good at holding the attention of younger kids. Some of these are "Louis Loon", "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy iii - Vegetables"; "My Big Sister" and "Bad Day". The melodies are nice, but will be more to the liking of slightly older folk. (Think Gordon Lightfoot)

One fun bit of trivia is that at the end of "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime" various people tell you their favorite snacks, and these people include Gordon Lightfoot, Geddy Lee, Lyle Lovett, Sarah MacLachlan, Jason Priestley, Janeane Garofalo and Weird Al Yankovic.

Light-hearted, punny, clever and very, very entertaining - this is an album the whole family can enjoy and sing along to between giggles.

Amanda Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, July 3 2014
S. Delottinville (Dundas, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
cute but only for those with very small children

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kids CD, March 7 2014
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
Very cute songs and clever lyrics as always from the BNL! Would recommend adding this to any collection of kid music

5.0 out of 5 stars Ear worms, anyone?!, Jan. 19 2014
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album. So many great songs, such a great fresh view of childhood, and the tunes are so catchy.... I can't get them out of my head, but I don't mind because they're SO MUCH FUN. Special favourites: Pollywog in a Bog, Eraser, I Can Sing, The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy Part One: Snacktime, Humungous Tree, Bad Day, A Word for That, and oooh yes, Crazy ABCs. The Barenaked Ladies are really in tune with what it's like to be a kid, but there's plenty of humour here that grown-ups can enjoy as well, and wisdom, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars supporting purchase, Jan. 2 2014
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
I like the songs very much and bought it to thank the Bare Naked Ladies for cancelling their show at sea world to indicate their concern for the animals of the planet Good compassionate Canadians and talented with it!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cd!, June 7 2013
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
I bought 1 song on itunes and liked it so much I downloaded the whole album. I play it for my granddaughter when she is visiting. I bought this album for her to listen to at home. Our favourite is "6,7,8,10. What happened to 9?.... 7 (ate) 9!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite children's CD!, April 15 2013
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
This is by far our favourite CD for our toddler son. He loves and so do we. It's not only one of the most tolerable kids' CDs but we actually really enjoy it. We have even put it on a few times when our son wasn't around haha. The lyrics are great and original and the songs are all fun. Some of our favourite tunes are: Raisins, Food Party, Popcorn, Vegetable Town, and Crazy ABC's. The best!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joins the ranks of "children's classics", Aug. 1 2012
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
The best kid's art, whether it be music, pictures, books, movies, is that which speaks equally well to the adult as it does to the child. When we think of "classics" we might think of Milne's "Winnie the Pooh" or Barrie's "Peter Pan", or Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are", or the early Pixar films. As I've become a parent and visited and revisited children's things, those that speak most to me are the ones that delight my kids, while evoking feelings of nostalgia in myself. Mostly this comes from rediscovering something I loved as a child - but sometimes it comes in a new form that just seems timeless.

Steven Page's arrest for cocaine possession was certainly ill-timed with the release of their first children's album, but The Barenaked Ladies (name withstanding) seem like the perfect band to straddle adult and kids genres. Indeed they are.

Snacktime maybe throws too much into the pot, with 24 tracks (though most are pretty short). And some songs are frankly, too slow for kids to want to sit through. However, there are some real gems here, to be sure. The Ladies' creativity is evident on songs like "7,8,9" and "Crazy ABC's". "Popcorn" and "Ninjas" take me back to my childhood/teen years. And "Canadian Snacktime trilogy" is a wonderful in-joke.

My kids (aged 6 and 4) love this CD and there is much I enjoy here too. In many ways, this is BNL's best album, in terms of pure creativity, since "Gordon". In that case, it was the soundtrack of my college years. This may well be the soundtrack of my children's kid years. A fitting final (?) album from the band before Page departed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album for kids and adults, Jan. 17 2012
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
I never leave album reviews, but this one is so great I had to post. If you have children you should have this album. My little guy who is under 2 has been listening to this for about one year and he cannot get enough of this album. As a parent who has to listen to it too it is just great. The songwriting is fantastic and fun and is perfect for kids, but also a lot of fun for adults. BNL has always had a great wit to them and it is alive and well on this album. My son's favorites are Pollywog, 7,8,9, Raisins and Louis Loon. Heck, even I cannot stop humming these tunes (and not in that annoying can't get it out of my head, but I wish I could kind of way). Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for parents and children!, July 10 2008
J. Shorman "come on'a my library" (Kelowna, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
This disc is an entertaining romp with the Barenaked Ladies. My 11 month old listens quite intently and especially likes 789. My husband and I also find ourselves singing along. I would like to commend the group for their quality lyrics, music and Canadian Pride!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Snacktime
Snacktime by Barenaked Ladies (Audio CD - 2008)