countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon December 30, 2015
Purchased this for my 95 year old grandfather who wanted a radio that would work when the power is out. He's almost deaf, but he still loved this radio. We didn't even have to turn the volume up to full for him to hear it. It's simple enough that I was able to teach him how to use it in less than 10 minutes. I do wish that the power switch was part of the volume dial instead of being separate, but I think he'll be fine using it.

Pros:

- Small, portable
- Power cable stores inside the radio
- Works great on batteries
- Nice and loud
- Simple to use

Cons:

- Minor con, but the power switch and volume dial are separate.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 6, 2014
Well I hate the sound quality of this radio. I have had 5 radios over the years and this one is the worst for FM. It sounds like a midrage speaker with no bass and no highs in FM. In AM the sound quality does not matter so much so it is where this radio excels. The ICF F10 sounds 10 times better and more rich in sound quality in FM but its reception is not so good and there is not a way to power it other than batteries so you cant win!

This ICF-38 overall reception is good for me on FM and AM. I can even pull in some stations that I normally can not so that's at least good. I like the power supply built in also. I might have to get creative and buy another OEM speaker for this ICF-38 and replace it with something more full sounding...

2.5 star is my rating.
on June 9, 2016
After computing AC vs DC power consumption, I returned my ICF-F10 for this model. Running AC saves more as it just consumes 4watts of power. Besides when power goes out I can usually use AA batteries for emergency.

Pros:
-Sensitive
-LED Tuning
-Cheap
-Economical
-Tone Control
-AC or DC
-Good Sound

Cons:

They are just minor...

-No option for 220 volt switch
-Can run only 110 volts
-Power cord is too tight inside battery compartment (So I left it tied outside when not in use)
-Headphone output is just MONO (it isn't a deal-breaker).

Overall I am satisfied with this radio and I might be buying another one in the future.

Conclusion: If you want a basic AC or DC powered radio, analog, cheap and has good reception without spending time to learn a lot, this is for you. I am satisfied! BUY it, and enjoy it for years with minimal energy consumption (Around $3 a year when used 12 hours per day on AC).
review image
on January 21, 2016
Great value! does just what you need when you need it. I bought some solar powered and gimmicky junk radios, that all use puny cordless phone batteries, when I forgot what really matters. This radio uses common AA size batteries and can be plugged in. For more useful to me.
on January 22, 2014
I bought this portable radio for my youngest Grand-daughter for Christmas as she loves music and is always singing.

I had always been pleased with Sony products in the past and this little radio did not disappoint. It is small, lightweight and can be played using batteries or plugged into the mains. The tone is pretty good too given the size of the speaker and the radio as a whole.

My Grand-daughter and her whole family are so pleased with it that it is in permanent residence in the kitchen.

The only worry I had was that the cable is packed very tightly into the back of the radio. Once taken out, I was concerned that I did not break the cover of the compartment trying to put it back in again for Christmas wrapping. Eventually I left the cable out rather than risk breaking the cover. Otherwise I was more than satisfied. Great value for the money and visually a pretty neat radio.
on June 24, 2013
Wanted an AC/DC radio for my garage/workshop. It also needed to have a headphone jack so I could use a wireless speaker when I'm in my back yard. It has very clear sound and was inexpensive. What more can a person ask for at this price? Excellent service as well, received it in just a few days! Over all, I am very pleased. Would definitely recommend this product to anyone not requiring stereo.
on July 29, 2015
Good radio. We had a previous version of the same radio from Sony that finally died, and replaced it with this model.
This one is bigger because it stores the line cord inside the unit. We use it on batteries so that its easy to carry around.
on June 7, 2012
I purchased the Sony ICF38 radio for my Father who is 92. With it's easy to find controls I think it will be very good for him. The FM reception seems pretty good and the AM Ok. If the AM was a little better I would have given this radio 5 stars. I wish the case was not the smooth plastic. If it was more of that rubbery non-slip feel like the Grundig G3 it would have been very good. A reasonable price for what you get.
on February 3, 2016
I was looking for a basic well built am fm radio with a handle and no projecting buttons to get damaged, that uses "AA" batteries. Has a nice sound and rechargeable batteries seem to last 20 plus hours on a low sound setting. Perfect for traveling and listen to for a few hours a day.
on January 12, 2016
A good little radio. We have poor reception where we live. The other bog box store stuff IMO is junk. The sony icf38 sits in the kitchen where we can stay up to date on local events and weather forecasts.