5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent functional radio
Published on July 21 2011 by Myer Rosen

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent FM Radio
This is a pretty decent FM radio but the AM reception is not very good. Unfortunately, I purchased it to listen to mostly AM. The ac power cable is probably the best feature besides it's extremely simple operation. I also felt the shipping was very slow compared to most suppliers on the Amazon network. RGB
Published on Aug. 30 2011 by Mr. S. Cutter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent functional radio, July 21 2011
This review is from: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) (Electronics)
Well-designed and constructed AM-FM radio. Heavy-duty plastic casing (which survived a 3-foot drop onto ceramic tile with only a barely noticeable scrape). Acceptable sound, easy and accurate tuning (helped by simple signal strength indicator light). Electrical power from either 4AA batteries or permanently attached cord which stores in dedicated compartment. No frills, just does its job well. Nothing that I saw compares well to it. But limited availability - Amazon and a few other internet sites, as far as I saw. Considerable variation in retail price from about $20 to $40.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony portable radio, Feb. 22 2011
This review is from: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) (Electronics)
I am very happy with this product. I wanted this radio just in case the power went out. It's perfect for my needs. So much better than others I have seen. The sound is quite good for a radio that is not digital. Thanks again Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars best basic radio you could get !, Oct. 4 2011
This review is from: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) (Electronics)
Just wanted a basic radio that would take batteries and I could move from room to room but still had good sound...simple and basic, nothing fancy as my mom is 88 yrs old and fancy is not a good idea nor is too many choices or buttons..this radio is perfect and is sony's good quality. What can you buy today for under 40 dollars too..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent radio for my mother, Aug. 9 2011
This review is from: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) (Electronics)
My mother wanted a radio for the kitchen and the current one, part of a cheap boom box, got terrible reception. I tried this one for her and she loves it. The dials are simple and straightforward to use and the reception is very good. One of her friends is going to get one, and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get one too, just in case. It was delivered within two or three days and arrived in great condition. A good product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent FM Radio, Aug. 30 2011
Mr. S. Cutter (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, Dec 1 2012
V. Easson (Montreal, QC. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) (Electronics)
I really needed a small portable radio for my kitchen and this one is a great buy. A fabulous price with very good sound, I can also use it on mains or with batteries, it's good to have the mains choice as I am inclined to just leave it on all day.
It's not the prettiest little thing in the world, but that's fine, it works very well for what I wanted when I bought it. Good sound at an excellent price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, June 24 2013
This review is from: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) (Electronics)
Wanted an AC/DC radio for my garage/workshop. It also needed to have a headphone jack so I could use a wireless speaker when I'm in my back yard. It has very clear sound and was inexpensive. What more can a person ask for at this price? Excellent service as well, received it in just a few days! Over all, I am very pleased. Would definitely recommend this product to anyone not requiring stereo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tina - Ontario, Oct. 20 2011
This review is from: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) (Electronics)
Good little radio. Needed something at the office to listen to. The sound is ok for the price. I found that it doesn't pick-up one of the local radio stations I can get with my car radio & home stereo. Also, the sound is a little tinney, but overall I'm happy with the purchase. It is a pretty basic radio, but seems good quality for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, Dec 10 2011
This review is from: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) (Electronics)
Simple and an adequate sound for a kitchen radio. I use it for NEWS in the mornings and for power outages. Easy slide switch on top right for off/on. Small footprint for countertop. Radio stations easy to tune and seem to maintain their tuning. That can be rare in small radios. I've had it a month and although it may not outlast its predecessor of 20 years I am fully satisfied with it for the intention it was purchased.

~Jerry

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony ICF38 just a nice radio, June 7 2012
Tony - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased the Sony ICF38 radio for my Father who is 92. With it's easy to find controls I think it will be very good for him. The FM reception seems pretty good and the AM Ok. If the AM was a little better I would have given this radio 5 stars. I wish the case was not the smooth plastic. If it was more of that rubbery non-slip feel like the Grundig G3 it would have been very good. A reasonable price for what you get.

Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black)
CDN$ 34.00