5.0 out of 5 stars hypnotic at times
Published on Oct. 9 2004 by Frank

1.0 out of 5 stars Price
This blue ray actually was in my wish list, was getting around to buying it. For some reason the price went from around less than $30.00 to $138.57 + shipping and handling. whats going on, is it made of gold, a incredibly rare collectors item, i would never ever buy a blue ray as expensive as this.
Published 8 months ago by Ulcaster555

5.0 out of 5 stars hypnotic at times, Oct. 9 2004
Frank (Maple, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Wonderful collaboration of musicians and singers. All his hits are here, 'only the lonely', 'dream baby', 'blue bayou', 'running scared', 'in dreams', 'crying', 'it's over', 'pretty woman' etc. You can see the admiration from the crowd and people on stage for this legend. This dvd was a beautiful gift to his fans before his death. The black and white was a nice touch as it gives the concert a nostalgia look. The performers contribute nicely to the concert but allow Orbison to be centre stage. Roy's music timing is flawless. Thought I might get sick of hearing 'pretty woman' after so many times but I was wrong, this live version gave it life. The only problem I had was I found the dvd a little expensive ($34. Cdn), but shop around. This dvd is still worth it. The sound is unbelievable. Get this dvd and let the violins, his words and voice melt your heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any collection, Sept. 7 2005
Bob Kay (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Clearly one of the best music DVD's in my collection - sound quality is phenomenal. Performance is flawless...absolutely flawless. Every musician plays their heart out here...the on stage talent as good as it gets. You know, I'm not a huge fan of Roy, but this DVD is very, very special and Pretty Woman at the end is just so over the top - it will blow you away unlike anything you've ever heard and watched before!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word, AMAZING, Dec 14 2008
Robert Sutherby (Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Roy Orbison: Black and White [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Just a year before his death in 1989, Roy Orbison, riding on the coattails of substantial success with The Traveling Wilburys and simultaneously working on the great album "Mystery Girl" (released posthumously in 1989), gathered together a few dozen of his musical best friends and put off a dynamite show.

Orbison's haunting vocals did not flag one bit through the years, and this concert pays testament to this fact. Absolutely stellar cast backing him up: Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, kd Lang, Jennifer Warnes, Tom Waits et. al. I will leave the rest to guess. :-)

I saw this concert on PBS recently and very much look forward to watching it in Blu-Ray. I should probably mention it is filmed in black and white, hence the title. I'm happy they made this choice, it lends such a great atmosphere to the whole event. Camera work varies from rock steady to shaky hand held but the main thing is the music, which if you're a fan of Roy Orbison at all, you'll be impressed by these great live renditions.

PS Keep an ear out for one of the most bizarre keyboard solos ever, by a very caught-off-guard Tom Waits, it's priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning! Not just for "fans"..., March 22 2004
By A Customer
Last year, an electronics store here in Tokyo wisely chose this DVD to try to sell more 'home theater' systems. I was in a huge rush, but was instantly captivated by the phenomenal guitar sounds I was hearing. Milliseconds later, I recognized the song, the major artist and the fact that there was probably a whole, live concert of Roy Orbison being played. I stopped my mad rush to an appointment to listen to "Pretty Woman" in its entirety. [This is the finale...] Then, as the crowd in front of me dissipated, I caught sight of some of the performers on a gigantic, but low, plasma display and was a little surprised to see that the whole concert had obviously been recorded in monochrome.
I have to admit that I've never been a huge Roy Orbison fan--I didn't buy his albums when I was young, but no-one could really DISlike his voice or his compositions. I probably knew every one of his numbers that was regularly played on the radio and I consider myself to have "grown up" singing along to Roy Orbison's mellow sounds. So, although my tastes run the gamut from world and ethnic music, thru blues, jazz and 'fusion' all the way to classics and a (very) little opera, I don't classify myself as a great 'rock-a-billy' fan, or even as an expert on music. That day, however, I became obsessed with getting hold of this particular concert for enjoyment at home.
I got hold of it easily enough from Amazon and have to say that it knocked my socks off. For me, the real highlights are the guitarwork of James Burton and Bruce Springsteen, but the whole 'feel' of this concert is one of a tribute to that inimitable, great voice. Many of the supporting artists are legends in their own neck of the woods, but there are no 'show-ponies' here--it's all just a well-rehearsed, supportive, even modest performance--yet there are many moments when one gets a feeling of watching and hearing musical genius in action.
Younger friends and relatives who had only a passing knowledge of Roy Orbison were stunned by the brilliance of the performances on this DVD. I've bought several copies as gifts, which were very highly appreciated. I think the playing of those at Christmas and New Year gatherings may have stimulated a buying spree among the many other people who were captivated, as I was, by the whole sound and feel of this delectable DVD.
I don't avidly collect music videos, yet I've seen many from all of the 'greats'. However, I've never seen a better concert on video. I don't think anyone who really loved music could watch this and be unaffected. I've read all of the reviews, so far, and I agree with almost every single one...I have one or two very minor gripes, but it's probably not worth your time to read those. If you love great music, just shell out the money and buy it. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Musical Masterpiece to honour Roy Orbison, Oct. 11 2003
Brant Handel (Langley, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Rarely does a musical performance bring tears to my eyes, but "The Black and White Night" has allowed me to relive one of rock and rolls greatest events.
Roy Orbison will forever stand on a stage and sharing centre mic with Elvis and Johnny Cash. To say that he is a treasure is an understatement. His influence on individuals and groups is legendary.
I have been a Roy Orbison fan since I was eight years old (43 years ago). He has been a part of my life longer than any other person I have known. So when I say that "The Black and White Night" is the finest tribute any artist could hope for, please believe me. The DVD must be a part of your musical collection. It is a masterpiece in honouring one of rocks pioneering legends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great package!, Sept. 11 2009
Hellenback (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I saw this for a good price from a re-seller. As I just bought a new Pioneer 58AV universal player I figured what the heck. I'm glad I grabbed it as any popular music in SACD is getting hard to find.
2 discs: 1 DVD and 1 SACD. Gold hybrid SACD (in 2.0 and surround) and a DVD with the concert "Black and White Night" in...you guessed it, black and white. DTS/DD 2.0 & surround.
If you like ANY Roy Orbison, I highly recommend this set. Even if you don't, watching or listening to this might change your mind! It really is a piece of music history from some of the world's finest musician's/entertainers.
Don't worry about the black and white; it's effective and adds to the charm of this all-(super)star band's excellent performance.

If only all CDs sounded this good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, Feb. 13 2009
Mcfarlane Donald (Toronto Ontario) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Roy Orbison: Black and White [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If you are a real Roy Orbison fan you have to have this Blue Ray DVD in your collection. Not only does he do virtually all of his hits he has assembled an incredible group of musicians to help him out. It wasn't his last concert but pretty close. I just can't say enough about this performance, it's fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great BD with great sound, Oct. 18 2009
G. Rajan "Amazon shopper" (Markham, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Roy Orbison: Black and White [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Even if you are not a Orb fan, you will love this BD and if you just turned up the DTS soundtrack, you will love it even more!

5.0 out of 5 stars How can it get any better?, June 17 2003
Stephen Verhaeren (Palos Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Okay, I may not be a big fan of Roy Orbison, but you don't just have to be a fan to enjoy seeing him in concert. And if you own this on dvd, you will get the full concert plus Claduette and Blue Bayou for some reason, is not on the video tape. Yet, this is a rare concert to see in black and white. Roy Orbison and severla perfromers at the Conut Grove, pefroming this concert. But sadly since this concert, Conut Grove, was demolished. And Roy Orbison had died of a heart attack a year after doing this concert. Roy Orbison sings sings song like Only The Lonely, Candy Man, Sweet Dreams Baby (How Long Must I dream), Claudette, and Oh, Pretty Woman. If you want to see Roy Orbison, peforming in concert, in your home, this will be it, because there no other live recordings of Roy Orbison. Yet, he played a lot of concerts. If you have seen the concert, and wonder why he is wearing sunglasses, the people at WTTW said, that Roy Orbison had bad eye sight, and he couldn't see without glasses, and he has even tried, they also said, one day before playing a concert in England, Roy Orbison discovered that he had left his regular glasses at home, but it just so happened that he had sunglass on him, and that became his trade mark. Just recently WTTW, aired this concert twice in one week, first on a Sunday Night, then a Saturday night. If you enjoy a concert with very little talk, in it, this is the concert for you, Roy Orbison onlyed talked twice and both was to say "Thank You" and some body else is heard (not very well) saying 1, 2, 3, 4, before a song. And I have to admit, for being in his 50's at the time of this peformance, Roy Orbison looks very good for his age, in fact, I don't even believe he was only in his early 50's, because he looks like he was younger than he looks in his early 50's.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best Music DVD Released, July 20 2002
Richard R. Carlton (Ada, MI United States) - See all my reviews
The DVD release of this one *IS* the legacy of Roy Orbison.
A number of reviewers comment on the absolutely spectacular 5.1 and DTS mixes for this release and I couldn't agree more....this is not only arguably the best DVD yet released, the remix was done from 1987 tapes and really shows why it is worth considering re-buying your favorite music when remixes are released.
Regarding the black and white format.....it is sharp and clear with excellent video mixes.....you are usually on the right person at the right time throughout and the fact that it was shot at LA's Coconut Grove makes it even better.
And now the music....ah, the music....of coure it has Pretty Woman, Cryin', Dream Baby. But what is spectacular is Roy's delivery of Blue Bayou, the sailing lyric in It's Over, the rhythm section on Candy Man, the fun in redoing his 1st hit from Sun Studios...Ooby Dooby...there isn't a track on this one that won't find a special place in your heart.
It simply cannot be said any other way.....this is what Roy was always all about....and you've got Springsteen, Lang, Souther, Riatt, T-Bone, Costello, Browne......all to vouch for it!

Roy Orbison: Black and White [Blu-ray]
Roy Orbison: Black and White [Blu-ray] by Tony Mitchell (Blu-ray - 2008)
CDN$ 270.68