Published on Feb. 23 2013 by Thelma

3.0 out of 5 stars My cat doesnt like it.
Have a cat and dog and this toy was a convenient size so my dog wouldnt choke on it. The cat does not care about the ball. Put his food in it. Loves his food. Wont play with the ball. But toy is as described. Easy to use and put food into.nice color. Durable plastic. However first day with new toy. So far cat not interested, unfortunately. But your cat may like it...
Published 11 months ago by Mel

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this ball a try! It is wonderful when you use it's features, Feb. 23 2013
This review is from: PetSafe TOY00001 SlimCat Interactive Toy and Food Dispenser, Blue (Misc.)
It might take patience to get the best benefit from the SlimCat but it is worth it. When the ball was new, my cat did not want to have to push it around. He would just sit and look at it until I would take his paw and give the ball a knock until kibble would fall out while saying 'push'. (He has since learned the word 'push'). My cat receives a measured daily ration to keep his lovely figure. A small portion he gets as breakfast, a small portion is reserved for bedtime snack and the rest goes in this ball. First thing in the morning I make the holes just big enough that when I shake the ball one or two falls out. By evening if there is still a lot left, I will make the holes bigger (that's probably the best feature of the SlimCat). On the days when he seems like he wants to eat all day, I make sure the holes are small enough that he really has to work to get some kibble. He doesn't always LIKE pushing it around now, but he knows that is how he gets his food through the day and it does serve as an activity for a cat with few mice to catch.
This is a great tool in preventing obesity. It holds about what an adult cat should eat in a day. My veterinarian actually has noticed more muscle mass from Scooter's daily pushing. The only downside is the locking mechanism that adjusts the size of the whole eventually slips, and then it's time for a new SlimCat. But for the price, and how it keeps my cat from obesity and all the related health issues, that's a very minor issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT BAD but could be little better, Jan. 18 2013
This is a good idea. However the food works best if its round and i usually feed my 1 year old cat, Hubert a mix of iams and science diet food and if anyone knows those..one is triangler and the other has a chocolate chip shape. there are two size holes and you turn it to choose the size and can lock it in place. Trying to get a size that doesnt make it to easy for my cat is slightly difficult. However it is very helpful when you wont be home for awhile to throw it on the ground and let the cat play and eat at the same time. Overall it takes some time farting around with it to get a big enough hole but not to big. Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars This help my cat to come back to health., Aug. 1 2014
So I originaly bought this food dispenser 3 years ago, after the first 6 months I give up since my cat will always manage to get it stuck under the couch or the bed and making really anoying the process of retriving the ball in order to feed him. Since then I have been trying to free feed him which didnt work since he would eat all his food in one sitting and then complain all day about more, he was never full, he went and eat the other cat food in order to eat more. I had it, he was getting obese (which could result in diabetes) and he just wouldnt stop complaining all night about getting more food. So I decided to bring the ball dispenser again (in a new apartment), and then I put the ball inside his food dish, a steinless steel food plate with 3 inch walls, this was just a great idea, he is unable to move the ball outside the dish, so the food only gets dispensed on the dish and not all over my floor, so then he goes and eats the food slowly. This has worked, he already lost 3lb out of 21lb, also he doesnt complain about food anymore, because the ball is full most of the times, but since takes longer to eat it, he doesnt over feed himself. This is a great purchase and the food dispenser still works like brand new since day 1. I would recommend this to all owners out there with obese, lazy, and overfed cats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great treat game, Dec 10 2013
Book reviewer (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
I bought this and the Busy Buddy Eggsercizer. Once both cats figured out how to use them, it provided less of a challenge. The mental challenge is pretty much over but they still need to bat this around to get the treats out so I recommend this. There's decent control over how big the holes are so I can use different size treats and it's easy to clean. One advantage I think the Eggsercizer has over this model is it's egg shape. When the cats bat it, it moves unexpectedly. This SlimCat model is round so it travels farther but doesn't offer quite the same challenge. The SlimCat is also SO easy to lose under furniture so remember to look under the couch if it's gone missing. Overall, though, I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for saving my face., Dec 26 2014
I have this problem with one of my cats. Frodo likes to come to me whenever I'm in bed and smack me in the nose, scratch at the shiny bits on my face (piercings), claw out my eyes and in general leave me looking like I've been attacked by a bear every day because he wants treats in the middle of the night.
I bought my cats, and in particular Frodo this so he will leave me alone, have his treats and have it portion controlled. Already I can see it working. Thank you for saving my face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food dispenser for cats (especially for overweight ones) !, April 21 2013
I was somewhat sceptical but this ball is amazing! It's not loud when rolling, it's well designed so very easy to use, not too heavy for cats (problem with some cat products), even when filled with food.
I switched to this food dispenser exclusively and within a week I saw one of my glutton cats loose some weight. I love this product the most because I don't have to supervise feeding for my cats, they can eat on their own time and not overeat! If only they made this for humans :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!, Jan. 21 2014
I bought this because my cat needs to lose weight. We feed him once in the morning and once at night and he usually eats his food so fast that he sometimes throws it right back up. This Slimcat makes him work for his food and it takes him longer to eat it. I don't think our cat wants to work for his food, but once it is in there he really has no choice. I would highly recommend this to anyone. Only flaw is finding the next time you need to fill it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars My cats LOVE these, June 6 2013
The shipping on these were ridiculously fast -- I think they arrived two days after I placed the order. As for the SlimCat Toy and Food ball, I love them! It didn't take long for my two cats to figure out that food would come out of these and it has fascinated them ever since. As I am using these balls more as a toy and treat rather than to formally feed them their meals, I tinkered with them to adjust the size of the holes where the food came out so that they would be more challenging (as in the kibble didn't spill out too easily). I have since been able to watch in pure amusement as my cats each played with their own SlimCat Toy balls, using their own nose or paw rolling techniques to get the kibble out. And for the price, this toy sure beats most of the other toys I buy for them in terms of practicality and entertainment value!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, Dec 7 2013
I actually bought this for my pet rabbit after seeing the product being recommended by one of the online pet rabbits suppliers that I frequent. It's basically used the same way you would for a cat-- pop a couple of my rabbit's favourite treats in there, twist the ball to get it to the opening size that I want, and then let my rabbit go wild with it. However, my room isn't fully carpeted and so my rabbit would push it until it rolls onto the hardwood flooring and then lose interest because hates hardwood (it's too slippery for him). Sometimes even when I keep it confined to the rug area with him, he would lose interest easily and give up on trying to get at his treats.

But despite my rabbit's lack of interest in it, I think the product is nevertheless well made and would recommend this to friends (especially cat owners).

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend, Nov. 30 2013
I bought this ball to keep my young cat busy and entertained. She has a tendency to eat all her food at once. Since I am gone for a part of the day, I put her food in the ball and she has to work for it! When she isn't hungry anymore, she stops playing with it and keeps going later. With her food in a bowl, it is easy to access, so she will keep eating, even though she isn't hungry. This toy is perfect for active cats who need entertainment, chubby cats who need excercise and cats who eat too fast.
I had to show my cat how the toy works, but she quickly got the hang of it. The best thing to do is to make them as large as possible while the cat learns how to use it. Then, progressively make the holes smaller. But not too small! Cats will get frustrated or give up if it's too difficult.
I would recommend this product.