4.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio with a few quirks
Published on Oct. 20 2009 by T. Pettigrew

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 2 months . . . . . then failed
Worked fine for 2 months then, one day, the radio's WiFi ceased locating ANY access points (or APs). It couldn't find my network, nor could it locate any others. Creating a work ticket on their website provided a useless response:

"Update the firmware, move your radio closer to your Router, then close the repair ticket".

Needless to say, none of...
Published on Sept. 29 2009 by Bill in TO

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio with a few quirks, Oct. 20 2009
T. Pettigrew "tp" (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aluratek AIRMM01F Internet Radio Alarm Clock with built-in WiFi (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
We've had this clock radio for about 1 month now and absolutely love it. The alarm functions are excellent -- you can set two different alarms and choose which days of the week it wakes you at a specified time (i.e. no forgetting about the alarm on Saturday morning). You can wake to any of the FM Radio, Internet Radio or Media streamed from your windows network which is great. We have it set to wake us to Radio Paradise each morning. The volume starts quietly and gradually works its way up to the maximum you set during the alarm setup (so no blasting you awake with loud music).

I did find a couple of quirks. First, upon the initial setup it would not connect to my WPA2 WiFi network no matter what I did. I finally read another review on this unit where the user experienced the same issue. I upgraded the firmware using a USB Memory stick and viola, problem solved -- connected to my network just fine. At home, I have a Windows Home Server with all of my music stored as MP3s. The player was immediately able to find the server and will stream content from it. You are also able to create an account on the Aluratek site which enables you to easily pick and/or add your favourite Internet radio content -- makes tuning to a station a breeze.

The other negative is the backlight. As you can see from the picture -- it's blue and VERY VERY bright. So bright in fact that it lights up our entire room. We like it dark at night, so we actually turn the light off. There is no option to dim the light, or illuminate the digits only. When the light is off, you can't see the time so if you are like me and like to roll over and check the time at night then it's blue light on.

Other than the firmware and light quirks, the unit is great. Sound is excellent for a single speaker clock radio (this is not a Bose radio, nor does it cost as much so our expectations were modest, and this unit exceeded them).

4.0 out of 5 stars After one month, Nov. 3 2009
I would like to add my remarks to those of T. Pettigrew. I have found the Aluratek to be a very useful radio. As TP did, I upgraded the firmware. The radio came with version 1.05 and the newer one is 1.37. The upgrade operation went well as I followed the instructions that came with the radio. I agree that the blue backlight is something of a pain however my unit is not in the bedroom but is in the rec room connected to the stereo.
An interesting feature of the unit is its ability to function as a WAP (Wireless Access Point). This means that when I am far from home I can connect to the internet and use the unit to allow my laptop to connect wirelessly as well use the radio to listen to my home area stations.
The Aluratek support people seem to be quite efficient and having access to the vTuner system is a big plus. Not all internet radios use that system.
All in all I like the radio very much. I will try to write again when I have the unit for a year or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use & great reception / signal! A++, June 2 2010
I bought this for my parent's and was worried that it might be too difficult to use (as many other internet radios I've seen in the past are kind of complicated). To my surprise this one is SIMPLE. I showed them how to use it ONCE, and since then they've had no issues at all.
I love the "save as favorite" feature, which makes getting to your favorite stations even more simple.
GREAT product. If you're looking for a small internet radio, I highly recommend this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device if you have the most recent firmware, May 3 2010
Gary Ogden "oggie" (NB Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this device due to the low price, features and past experience with the aluratek libre ereader.

I updated to the latest firmware from the aluratek website and everything worked great except for playing files from a media server. I use ps3mediaserver and it works great with the ps3 as well as other devices.

But when the radio connected to it, it would lock up on certain files for no reason. I contacted aluratek on a friday, and on monday they sent me a newer firmware that resolved the problem.

So now this little radio works great. It plays all my music being served up via ps3mediaserver. Plus it works fine with usb drives and the internet radio works great too.

A great little device for a good price. Just make sure you update the firmware.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, Jan. 14 2011
I have had this radio for a few months. It is excellent value for money. I did not need to upgrade the firmware. It is true that the instructions could be clearer, and there are certain aspects of the way in which the radio works that are quirky. However, with some basic trial and error most things can be figured out. There are a wide range of stations available and new ones are always being added. The sound quality is very good. If it ever goes on sale I will by a second one for the kitchen. Be sure not to add a space at the end of your security code when setting up the wireless connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Gadget, Jan. 1 2010
A. Tehrani - See all my reviews
I purchased one of these radios a month ago despite all of the negative comments I read about this radio. There were not many other products in the same category.

After spending a bit time learning it, I realized how well it has been designed.

Internet radio potentially has thousands of stations. The challenge is organizing them in a logical way for a regular user. This radio has done a good job in categorizing the options to a manageable level.

At the first use, It found the Wi-Fi router with no problem and connected to it immediately. I had the radio upgrade ready based on recommendations from other Amazon consumers. I upgraded the radio and started enjoying it right away.

My only recommendation is to have the screen light a bit dimmer or having the black-dark background. It is too bright at night; however has the option of changing the light level. I keep the light off at night and turn it on temporarily to check the time and turn it off again during sleep. However the screen is quite nice during normal light activities in the room.

I will definitely buy another one to use in our kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple - easy - effective, Jan. 5 2010
Some Bloke (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Had this on my Xmas list - very happy when it turned up - for a hundred bucks it is very good $$VFM. Setup was a breeze - I had it working within 5 minutes - I didn't upgrade any firmware - it immediately found my SSID and I popped in the WPA password and all was golden - it also reads all the music from the WM11 server(just like my PS3) - now I can listen to the cricket and all the music on my PC:)
No... it isn't a Bose....and yes...it sounds like a clock-radio (that is because it IS a clock-radio!!)... if you hook it up to some good PC speakers the stereo is very good... if you hook it up to a 5.1 reciever it is even better... there is a Home Theater Edition <<Home Theater Edition Wifi Internet Radio Music Player>> of this which I may just get to put in the basement.
Nice product - way better than I expected at this price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect WIFI Radio., April 3 2010
J. Lee - See all my reviews
I received the Aluratek WIFI radio in a few days. It was up and running straight out of the box and I was tuned into radio from South Africa and Ireland. Theres no background noise and it works perfectly through my audio system, it has RCA audio output jacks on the back. The clock syncs with the time on the internet so it's always correct. The FM receiver also works well. Even local AM stations are improved due to the lack of any interference. The remote is really good, allowing selection of Internet Radio, Media Player, FM Radio or MP3 Reader. Amazon has now dropped the price by $10.00, so buy one and start touring the world. This goes beyond the normal radio receiver because you can listen to AM and FM stations across the world, that can't be done even with the best shortwave receiver.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 2 months . . . . . then failed, Sept. 29 2009
Bill in TO (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews

Needless to say, none of these worked. I opened another work ticket on their website since Aluratek had closed the original. No response whatever to the 2nd ticket.

I am now the proud owner of a brick. Not heavy enough for a doorstop, unfortunately.

If you're searching for an Internet radio, avoid this brand. Keep searching . . .

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing radio, Nov. 6 2009
F. Nahas "Radio lover" (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
I just got this radio and I find excellent. I use it also to listen to my music stored on a USB HD. The facility to organize folders and add stations on internet is fantastic. I find the sound very good. I hear NPR classical as well as Greek, French and south America stations. Works like a charm.
Quirks: You cant add categories on the main menu. It would have been nice to have 10 shortcuts to favorite stations on the remote. Maybe in the next firmware :)
It is my first internet radio, for me it is a real revolution in listening to radio.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›