5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use & great reception / signal! A++
I bought this for my parent's and was worried that it might be too difficult to use (as many other internet radios I've seen in the past are kind of complicated). To my surprise this one is SIMPLE. I showed them how to use it ONCE, and since then they've had no issues at all.
Published on June 2 2010 by Master Davey

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 2 months . . . . . then failed
Worked fine for 2 months then, one day, the radio's WiFi ceased locating ANY access points (or APs). It couldn't find my network, nor could it locate any others. Creating a work ticket on their website provided a useless response:

"Update the firmware, move your radio closer to your Router, then close the repair ticket".

Needless to say, none of...
Published on Sept. 29 2009 by Bill in TO

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use & great reception / signal! A++, June 2 2010
This review is from: Aluratek AIRMM01F Internet Radio Alarm Clock with built-in WiFi (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I love the "save as favorite" feature, which makes getting to your favorite stations even more simple.
GREAT product. If you're looking for a small internet radio, I highly recommend this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars After one month, Nov. 3 2009
I would like to add my remarks to those of T. Pettigrew. I have found the Aluratek to be a very useful radio. As TP did, I upgraded the firmware. The radio came with version 1.05 and the newer one is 1.37. The upgrade operation went well as I followed the instructions that came with the radio. I agree that the blue backlight is something of a pain however my unit is not in the bedroom but is in the rec room connected to the stereo.
An interesting feature of the unit is its ability to function as a WAP (Wireless Access Point). This means that when I am far from home I can connect to the internet and use the unit to allow my laptop to connect wirelessly as well use the radio to listen to my home area stations.
The Aluratek support people seem to be quite efficient and having access to the vTuner system is a big plus. Not all internet radios use that system.
All in all I like the radio very much. I will try to write again when I have the unit for a year or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device if you have the most recent firmware, May 3 2010
Gary Ogden "oggie" (NB Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this device due to the low price, features and past experience with the aluratek libre ereader.

I updated to the latest firmware from the aluratek website and everything worked great except for playing files from a media server. I use ps3mediaserver and it works great with the ps3 as well as other devices.

But when the radio connected to it, it would lock up on certain files for no reason. I contacted aluratek on a friday, and on monday they sent me a newer firmware that resolved the problem.

So now this little radio works great. It plays all my music being served up via ps3mediaserver. Plus it works fine with usb drives and the internet radio works great too.

A great little device for a good price. Just make sure you update the firmware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 2 months . . . . . then failed, Sept. 29 2009
Bill in TO (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews

Needless to say, none of these worked. I opened another work ticket on their website since Aluratek had closed the original. No response whatever to the 2nd ticket.

I am now the proud owner of a brick. Not heavy enough for a doorstop, unfortunately.

If you're searching for an Internet radio, avoid this brand. Keep searching . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12 2014
Very good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Access to a crazy assortment of radio stations, Oct. 27 2013
Really love this radio except the operational angle of the remote is ridiculously small and low. You almost look like a Sumo Wrestler getting ready for combat when trying to change a counter top height radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars It brings home to our home., Jan. 27 2013
Great for both of us being able to hear the tunes and news from our place of birth while living thousands of miles away. I think we both know what's new in the NEWS than the people living their. Joking of course, maybe!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable!, Jan. 29 2012
Zoe H. Broom "Zoe" (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I needed a new clock radio and decided to get an internet radio because I was tired of the fuzzy reception of a normal radio. There are surprisingly few internet clock radios to choose from but I chose this one. The sound quality is good - as to be expected with an internet radio. My complaints about the unit were:
1. The interface is very cumbersome. There was no button to just turn on the radio if I wanted to listen. It was a minimum of 5 buttons on the remote to turn on the radio and that's with my station remembers as one of the preset 'favourites'. Most tools are only possible with the remote, a design feature I disagree with.
2. As pointed out by another reviewer, the blue display screen is way too bright. I couldn't sleep with it on. I eventually left my Kindle blocking the display.
3. I initially had it connected to the internet using the wifi but after 2 days it lost it's wifi connection and therefore no sound was produced when the alarm went off so we slept in and were an hour late for work. I could not get back the wifi connection without rebooting the whole unit which then required me to reprogram all my alarm settings and radio station presets. After that we connected it to the internet with a wire; fortunately my nightstand was near an internet connection (I doubt most people's are).
4. Even with it connected to the internet with a wire, it would get confused about once a week and freeze up and then produce no sound when I needed to wake up. Being an hour late for work once a week is seriously NOT AN OPTION. We started using a second alarm clock as a backup - somewhat defeating the purpose of owning the unit in the first place.
Today I boxed it up and it's going back to Amazon. I went to a local shop and paid twice as much for the only internet radio alarm clock they carry which was a Logitech Squeezebox.

1.0 out of 5 stars Abject failure as an alarm clock, Jan. 29 2012
Gordon Broom (Victoria, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
The concept is really good, but this implementation is perhaps a 0.9 release. As an alarm clock it is very unreliable, once a week it will fail to wake us up.

Setting the time automatically from the internet (NTP) is a great thing! It means I never have to change the clock twice a year.
If you unplug the unit or turn it off, it loses its WiFi settings (but not the station presets luckily). Which means after a power failure it won't wake you up. We plugged it into a wired ethernet port (luckily there was one beside the bed) to eliminate that problem. Still it would lose the internet connection randomly. Turning it off and on again seemed to fix it. But now it's complely locking up requiring us to unplug it and plug it back in to get it functioning again. That's the last straw, we're returning it and looking for another manufacturer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio with a few quirks, Oct. 20 2009
T. Pettigrew "tp" (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
We've had this clock radio for about 1 month now and absolutely love it. The alarm functions are excellent -- you can set two different alarms and choose which days of the week it wakes you at a specified time (i.e. no forgetting about the alarm on Saturday morning). You can wake to any of the FM Radio, Internet Radio or Media streamed from your windows network which is great. We have it set to wake us to Radio Paradise each morning. The volume starts quietly and gradually works its way up to the maximum you set during the alarm setup (so no blasting you awake with loud music).

I did find a couple of quirks. First, upon the initial setup it would not connect to my WPA2 WiFi network no matter what I did. I finally read another review on this unit where the user experienced the same issue. I upgraded the firmware using a USB Memory stick and viola, problem solved -- connected to my network just fine. At home, I have a Windows Home Server with all of my music stored as MP3s. The player was immediately able to find the server and will stream content from it. You are also able to create an account on the Aluratek site which enables you to easily pick and/or add your favourite Internet radio content -- makes tuning to a station a breeze.

The other negative is the backlight. As you can see from the picture -- it's blue and VERY VERY bright. So bright in fact that it lights up our entire room. We like it dark at night, so we actually turn the light off. There is no option to dim the light, or illuminate the digits only. When the light is off, you can't see the time so if you are like me and like to roll over and check the time at night then it's blue light on.

Other than the firmware and light quirks, the unit is great. Sound is excellent for a single speaker clock radio (this is not a Bose radio, nor does it cost as much so our expectations were modest, and this unit exceeded them).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›