5.0 out of 5 stars Because we need the eggs
Ok, let me get this one thing out of the way: when I was 12, Annie Hall beat Star Wars for the Best Picture Academy Award, and I was not a happy kid. However, time can do funny things...
Published on July 2 2004 by Michael LaPointe

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry not for me...a dissenting view
Since I was not really in a position to see this movie when it first came out (i was only 5), my review probably reflects that - so no need to create other postings just to trash my review. I understand that this is one of AFC's 100 greatest films and just about everyone else wrote stellar reviews on amazon. Because of all these things, as well as the fact this movie is...
Published on March 4 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Because we need the eggs, July 2 2004
Michael LaPointe "Island Mike" (Orange County, California) - See all my reviews
I first saw this picture a few years later, with my first real girlfriend (hi, Lisa!) on the revival circuit. I found it witty and intelligent, as I have with most of Woody Allen's films. I have to say that, to my 16-year-old mind, it still didn't make a huge impression. Twenty years and a failed marriage later, however, I think I can honestly say that I now get it.
Annie Hall is, to me, Woody Allen's greatest triumph as a filmmaker and a storyteller. It's a bittersweet, often hilarious recounting of a relationship from its start to its inevitable end. We see Allen at his most honest, at times brutal examination of himself and his destructive approach to relationships as he plays Alvy Singer, a funny, neurotic comedian (not a great stretch for Woody, granted). All the angst, the neuroses, and manic phobias that at first seem so idiosyncratic and charming, eventually become tiring and sad. Here is a man who is so attached to his psychoses that he would be an empty shell without them, and we see the painful fact of this in his reflections of previous relationships and marriages throughout the course of his adult life. Ultimately, this is a character so galvanized by his fears and phobias that he is simply incapable of managing a complex adult relationship, one free of paranoia and anxiety and this is his tragic downfall. In short, he is a small child trapped in the body of a small man.
This is not, however, one of Allen's Bergmanesque forays into introspection. The knee-slapping hilarity of many of the scenes help draw us into his world and the relationship he has with Annie (Diane Keaton, marvelous as always), his friends, his family, and the world around him. A particular favorite is when, on their first meeting, Alvy and Annie exchange basic getting-to-know-you small talk, and their hidden meanings and anxieties are shown to us in subtitles. Other scenes involving a movie-line blowhard, a lost mantra, and Annie's decidedly white-bread family are the stuff of legend, and they never fail to bring a smile to my face.
Though this film is nearing thirty-years old, it shows no sign of aging. The themes are familiar and universal; who hasn't fallen desperately in love, only to feel the painful tentacles of fear come creeping in the moment they've opened their heart for all the world to see? This film will never lose its place in my heart as one of the best films I've ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all time greats, finally on blu-ray, April 13 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Just to add my voice to the choir: Quite simply one of the best films
about romantic relationships ever made. Brilliantly written.
Brilliantly acted -- Diane Keaton is tremendous, the supporting cast is
full of gems and Allen himself takes the leap to present himself as a
real (if funny) human being and not a walking joke. And brilliantly
photographed by the great Gordon Willis of 'The Godfather' and many of
most important films of the 70s and 80s.

Wildly funny and ultimately heartbreaking. It's hard to imagine anyone
understanding of the human heart. Its completely unique, playful and
idiosyncratic in style and approach, but that experimentation somehow
only makes it more accessible and universal. If you haven't seen it,
you owe yourself a try, even if you're not a Woody Allen 'fan'. And if
you saw it long ago, it may be time for another look.

For some insane reason, the North American DVD is not
even enhanced for 16x9 TVs.

And while the new blu-ray isn't quite reference quality (probably
due to the age and condition of the source materials) it does
look very, very good. A considerable step up from the DVD,
and very much worth it if you love the film. There's more
depth, sharpness, richness. More immediacy. Of course, some
things never change, and there are still no extras (sigh...)
but worth the up-grade none-the-less.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all time greats, but if you have a blue-ray player, get that version, April 13 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Annie Hall (DVD)
Quite simply one of the best films
about romantic relationships ever made. Brilliantly written.
Brilliantly acted -- Diane Keaton is tremendous, the supporting cast is
full of gems and Allen himself takes the leap to present himself as a
real (if funny) human being and not a walking joke. And brilliantly
photographed by the great Gordon Willis of 'The Godfather' and many of
most important films of the 70s and 80s.

Wildly funny and ultimately heartbreaking. It's hard to imagine anyone
understanding of the human heart. Its completely unique, playful and
idiosyncratic in style and approach, but that experimentation somehow
only makes it more accessible and universal. If you haven't seen it,
you owe yourself a try, even if you're not a Woody Allen 'fan'. And if
you saw it long ago, it may be time for another look.

And while the new blu-ray isn't quite reference quality (probably
due to the age and condition of the source materials) it does
look very, very good. A considerable step up from the DVD,
and very much worth it if you love the film. There's more
depth, sharpness, richness. More immediacy. Of course, some
things never change, and there are still no extras (sigh...)
but worth the up-grade none-the-less.

5.0 out of 5 stars His finest script, Aug. 27 2003
D. Weisbord (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
For all of his many skills, as director, actor and comedian, Woody Allen started as a writer, and it is as a film writer that he may ultimately best be remembered. Yes he's funny here, and the film is well directed, but its the writing that's the best. An exceptional script that goes back and forth in time to examine a relationship with the fictional Annie, made by a man co-staring with his ex-girlfriend. Perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not His Best but Still Very Good, July 6 2004
People just adore Annie Hall. I like Annie Hall. Manhattan and Hannah and Her Sisters work better for me but I can think of about a billion worse ways to spend 90 minutes than watching Annie Hall. Even though I'm not particularly charmed by it, I freely admit Annie Hall is better than 98% of all American movies ever. Funny, smart and endearingly offbeat. Certainly worth the going price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Annie Hall has truly stood the test of time. And I loved it, May 14 2004
Linda Linguvic (New York City) - See all my reviews
I have a confession to make.

Until now, I've never seen a Woody Allen movie.

Boy, I sure was a "miss out".

Annie Hall, made in 1977, is a classic. Why, oh why, did I wait so long?

First of all it's a story, and a very funny story at that, about a New York Jewish comedian, played by Woody Allen and his WASP girlfriend, played by Diane Keaton. It pokes fun at many social mores that we take for granted and I found myself laughing throughout. There's the New Yorker who never learns to drive, the mid-westerner who orders a pastrami sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise (which seems almost grotesque to a New Yorker like me), the pretentious movie critic, the neuroses of modern romances, and the differences between the New York and Los Angeles way of life.

The film runs along at such a fast pace that there is almost no time at all between funny moments. And, to make it even better, there are some wonderful film techniques. For example, while Diane Keaton and Woody Allen are talking about photography, there are subtitles on the screen about the physical relationship that they are really thinking about.

If the film were made today the phone calls would have been made on cell phones. But surprisingly, that is the only detail that might be changed. Annie Hall has really truly stood the test of time. And I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allen's Best, May 6 2004
This was the best movie Woody made from the time when he was still making great movies! It centers on Woody's on and off relationship with the ditzy Annie. Probably the movie that Seinfied got the humor for his show from! There are scenes like Woody standing in line for a movie that some loudmouth is explaining the meaning of to a bunch of women. When Woody disagrees with the man the man says that he should know because he teaches a college course about the movie to which Woody replies by bringing foward the movie's director. The director then tells the man he has no clue as to what the movie is about!
Another involves Michael Moriarity as Annie's wierd brother. He tells Woody that he fantasizes about wrecking his car when he is driving. Sure enough the next scene has Moriarity driving Annie and Woody home and Woody has this terrified expression on his face as Moriarity is driving.
There are so many more of these types of hilarious scenes! This is a great film to own so you could memorize the lines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woody Allen's Classic!, Dec 24 2003
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Annie Hall is arguably Woody Allen's best film ever. Nearly a self-portrait of his affair with the luminous Diane Keaton, Allen paints a love affair in his beloved New York City, full of all the neurosis, eccentricities and oddball humor associated with Woody Allen.
Although New York is showcased, Los Angeles takes a second seat as the self indulgent, narcissistic counterpart. There are too many hilarious scenes to mention, other than they are non-stop and all hit pay dirt. This is also one of Allen's most inventive films, using split frame scenes for discussions between opposed families, inter-spliced time-gags (invisible characters visiting their past), cartoons representing the main characters and Allen narrating most of the film; sometimes directly into the audience's face.
It should also be noted that many stars got a big start from this film. Carole Kane is featured as one of Alvy's good-hearted girlfriends, along with a post-hippie Shelley Duvall. Diane Keaton's brother is played by a typically creepy Christopher Walken and her mother by the noble Colleen Dewhurst. Paul Simon, Truman Capote, Beverly DeAngelo and Dick Cavett also make guest appearances. Watch for the very young Sigourney Weaver as Alvy's date outside of a theater.
Academy Award winner for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Actress, this film is timeless. All of the jokes still hold up today and this is a keeper of a DVD. Unfortunately, there are not a great deal of extras on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever entertaining, Oct. 13 2003
C. Middleton (Australia) - See all my reviews
Woody Allen's professional integrity has held fast for over a quarter century. Commercial concerns have never deterred the artist from pushing through on a particular idea or project. It is well known that over the many years of filmmaking, he created an insular production company and connected himself to people (producers) who would accept any film proposal on face value - sometimes merely on the bases of one telephone conversation. In some cases, Allen's films were great successes, 'Hannah and Her Sisters' and 'Crimes and Misdemeanours', but sometimes his ideas didn't pan out and the picture lost money. Woody Allen is often quoted as saying, "If I don't like something, it doesn't matter how many awards it's won. It's important to keep your own criteria and not defer to the trends of the marketplace." (Allen never attended the Oscars during the 70's 80' and 90's because his band performed in New York on Monday nights.) When ~Annie Hall~ opened in the late seventies, the studio was nervous. In fact they didn't know what to make of this strange picture, but decided to take a chance anyway. ~Annie~ turned out to be a commercial and critical success, which also launched Diane Keaton as a major Hollywood star.
This is not just a good film but a great film. Every scene has at least three to four gags that seem to never grow stale. When Alvie Singer (Woody Allen) meets Annie for the first time, she's obviously quite nervous and fills the pregnant silences with "La ti da, la ti da..." He says, "I'm dating a woman who says, "La ti da". This reminded me of Seinfeld's famous, "Yada yada yada..." Allen's wit runs hot and fast in this film and one has to pay close attention to catch all the great lines. One of my favourites is a short conversation about the media that Alvie has with his ex wife, Robin:
Robin: "I'm so tired of spending evenings making fake insights with people who work for Dysentery."
"Commentary"
Alvie: 'Oh really? I heard that Commentary and Dissent merged and formed
Dysentery."
In comedies particularly, the chemistry between the actors is essential for the joke and scene to work. The chemistry between Keaton and Allen has now become legendary. In the hilarious "Lobster" scene, you can tell they really like each other and have a lot of fun, on and off screen. They were of course once a couple, but they continue to be great friends and attribute their professional and creative successes to each other. One can see this relationship blossoming in ~Annie Hall~.
This film really launched Allen into the mainstream, however, because he never makes films for the popular marketplace, he moves in and out of the general public eye. This is the classic Woody Allen picture and one of his better films, that should be a part of every film lover's collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highish marks, a bit grudgingly given, Sept. 12 2003
Frankly I like Woody Allen a lot less than most of my friends, mainly because he seems to have only a very shaky grip on the difference between a movie and an ego-trip. And this film is in many ways a case in point, heavily self congratulatory, to a great extent a self-absorbed documentary about how hard it is being Woody Allen and what a terribly witty fellow he is. So much for the funk. But that said, as ego-trips go, this ego trip is at times extremely funny. And this movie, like the later ´¿Manhatten´¿ and the earlier ´¿Play It Again Sam´¿ comes from his best period: after he had given up making mildly amusing slapstick comedies like ´¿Bananas´¿ but before he allowed himself to sink so far up his own bottom that the desire to strangle him takes over any other possible response. Grouching aside, if you want an effective and telling but affectionate send-up of the world of the ´¿New York Jewish left wing liberal intellectual Central Park West Brandeis University - socialist summer camps...´¿ and the daft but very human hang-ups of the people who live there, you probably can´¿t do a lot better. But, hey, sorry, he´¿s no Groucho Marx.

Annie Hall
Annie Hall by DVD (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 15.98 CDN$ 15.75