5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all time greats, finally on blu-ray
Just to add my voice to the choir: Quite simply one of the best films
full of gems and Allen himself takes the leap to present himself as a
real (if funny) human being and not a walking joke. And brilliantly...
Published on April 13 2011 by K. Gordon

3.0 out of 5 stars Relational Angst at its Funniest
The first thing that grabbed me about this film was the interaction with the viewer. When Woody Allen starts the film by illustrating its themes directly to the audience with a couple of jokes, I realized that this was not an ordinary romantic comedy. Furthermore, there are a number of scenes where the line between screen reality and fantasy are fantastically blurred...
Published on April 22 2004 by Jacob Reidt

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all time greats, finally on blu-ray, April 13 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Just to add my voice to the choir: Quite simply one of the best films
real (if funny) human being and not a walking joke. And brilliantly
photographed by the great Gordon Willis of 'The Godfather' and many of
most important films of the 70s and 80s.

Wildly funny and ultimately heartbreaking. It's hard to imagine anyone
understanding of the human heart. Its completely unique, playful and
idiosyncratic in style and approach, but that experimentation somehow
only makes it more accessible and universal. If you haven't seen it,
you owe yourself a try, even if you're not a Woody Allen 'fan'. And if
you saw it long ago, it may be time for another look.

For some insane reason, the North American DVD is not
even enhanced for 16x9 TVs.

And while the new blu-ray isn't quite reference quality (probably
due to the age and condition of the source materials) it does
look very, very good. A considerable step up from the DVD,
and very much worth it if you love the film. There's more
depth, sharpness, richness. More immediacy. Of course, some
things never change, and there are still no extras (sigh...)
but worth the up-grade none-the-less.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all time greats, but if you have a blue-ray player, get that version, April 13 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Annie Hall (DVD)
Quite simply one of the best films
real (if funny) human being and not a walking joke. And brilliantly
photographed by the great Gordon Willis of 'The Godfather' and many of
most important films of the 70s and 80s.

Wildly funny and ultimately heartbreaking. It's hard to imagine anyone
understanding of the human heart. Its completely unique, playful and
idiosyncratic in style and approach, but that experimentation somehow
only makes it more accessible and universal. If you haven't seen it,
you owe yourself a try, even if you're not a Woody Allen 'fan'. And if
you saw it long ago, it may be time for another look.

And while the new blu-ray isn't quite reference quality (probably
due to the age and condition of the source materials) it does
look very, very good. A considerable step up from the DVD,
and very much worth it if you love the film. There's more
depth, sharpness, richness. More immediacy. Of course, some
things never change, and there are still no extras (sigh...)
but worth the up-grade none-the-less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic in every sense., Sept. 15 2009
Robert J. Poremba (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie Hall (DVD)
There is no substitute for incredible dialogue and genuine insight into the human fabric. Annie Hall is and always will be the "classic" of romantic comedies. Diane Keaton is Annie Hall, it is the role of a lifetime, and an outstanding performance to boot.
If you enjoy listening as well as watching a movie, you come back again and again to Woody's best film ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not His Best but Still Very Good, July 6 2004
People just adore Annie Hall. I like Annie Hall. Manhattan and Hannah and Her Sisters work better for me but I can think of about a billion worse ways to spend 90 minutes than watching Annie Hall. Even though I'm not particularly charmed by it, I freely admit Annie Hall is better than 98% of all American movies ever. Funny, smart and endearingly offbeat. Certainly worth the going price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Because we need the eggs, July 2 2004
Michael LaPointe "Island Mike" (Orange County, California) - See all my reviews
Ok, let me get this one thing out of the way: when I was 12, Annie Hall beat Star Wars for the Best Picture Academy Award, and I was not a happy kid. However, time can do funny things...
I first saw this picture a few years later, with my first real girlfriend (hi, Lisa!) on the revival circuit. I found it witty and intelligent, as I have with most of Woody Allen's films. I have to say that, to my 16-year-old mind, it still didn't make a huge impression. Twenty years and a failed marriage later, however, I think I can honestly say that I now get it.
Annie Hall is, to me, Woody Allen's greatest triumph as a filmmaker and a storyteller. It's a bittersweet, often hilarious recounting of a relationship from its start to its inevitable end. We see Allen at his most honest, at times brutal examination of himself and his destructive approach to relationships as he plays Alvy Singer, a funny, neurotic comedian (not a great stretch for Woody, granted). All the angst, the neuroses, and manic phobias that at first seem so idiosyncratic and charming, eventually become tiring and sad. Here is a man who is so attached to his psychoses that he would be an empty shell without them, and we see the painful fact of this in his reflections of previous relationships and marriages throughout the course of his adult life. Ultimately, this is a character so galvanized by his fears and phobias that he is simply incapable of managing a complex adult relationship, one free of paranoia and anxiety and this is his tragic downfall. In short, he is a small child trapped in the body of a small man.
This is not, however, one of Allen's Bergmanesque forays into introspection. The knee-slapping hilarity of many of the scenes help draw us into his world and the relationship he has with Annie (Diane Keaton, marvelous as always), his friends, his family, and the world around him. A particular favorite is when, on their first meeting, Alvy and Annie exchange basic getting-to-know-you small talk, and their hidden meanings and anxieties are shown to us in subtitles. Other scenes involving a movie-line blowhard, a lost mantra, and Annie's decidedly white-bread family are the stuff of legend, and they never fail to bring a smile to my face.
Though this film is nearing thirty-years old, it shows no sign of aging. The themes are familiar and universal; who hasn't fallen desperately in love, only to feel the painful tentacles of fear come creeping in the moment they've opened their heart for all the world to see? This film will never lose its place in my heart as one of the best films I've ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars His finest script, Aug. 27 2003
D. Weisbord (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
For all of his many skills, as director, actor and comedian, Woody Allen started as a writer, and it is as a film writer that he may ultimately best be remembered. Yes he's funny here, and the film is well directed, but its the writing that's the best. An exceptional script that goes back and forth in time to examine a relationship with the fictional Annie, made by a man co-staring with his ex-girlfriend. Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, July 13 2004
Woody's self searching and unique form of humor make this a brilliant movie. Diane Keaton is the perfect co-star.
I saw this last year after not seeing it since it came out in the late 1970's...still just as fresh and wonderful. I just wish my wife liked Woody Allen humor as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Can I ask you? Is this a sandwich?", June 18 2004
S. Johnson "xerxes" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Woody Allen is definitely a "love him or hate him" kind of guy. If you hate him, then you're probably not even reading this. For those who like/love him, there is little disagreement that Annie Hall is his Crown Jewel. For those that don't know much about him or his work, this movie is a wonderful place to start.
Although it's a bit difficult to see what Annie sees in Alvy (though this adds to the charm), Keaton's Annie is absolutely adorable in her awkward self-consciousness. Fantasy, nostalgia, tenderness, and some of the funniest dialogue in movie history make this one of the best movies ever.
I've seen it several times now (I own it), and I love it more with each viewing. My highest recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Annie Hall has truly stood the test of time. And I loved it, May 14 2004
Linda Linguvic (New York City) - See all my reviews
I have a confession to make.

Until now, I've never seen a Woody Allen movie.

Boy, I sure was a "miss out".

Annie Hall, made in 1977, is a classic. Why, oh why, did I wait so long?

First of all it's a story, and a very funny story at that, about a New York Jewish comedian, played by Woody Allen and his WASP girlfriend, played by Diane Keaton. It pokes fun at many social mores that we take for granted and I found myself laughing throughout. There's the New Yorker who never learns to drive, the mid-westerner who orders a pastrami sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise (which seems almost grotesque to a New Yorker like me), the pretentious movie critic, the neuroses of modern romances, and the differences between the New York and Los Angeles way of life.

The film runs along at such a fast pace that there is almost no time at all between funny moments. And, to make it even better, there are some wonderful film techniques. For example, while Diane Keaton and Woody Allen are talking about photography, there are subtitles on the screen about the physical relationship that they are really thinking about.

If the film were made today the phone calls would have been made on cell phones. But surprisingly, that is the only detail that might be changed. Annie Hall has really truly stood the test of time. And I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allen's Best, May 6 2004
This was the best movie Woody made from the time when he was still making great movies! It centers on Woody's on and off relationship with the ditzy Annie. Probably the movie that Seinfied got the humor for his show from! There are scenes like Woody standing in line for a movie that some loudmouth is explaining the meaning of to a bunch of women. When Woody disagrees with the man the man says that he should know because he teaches a college course about the movie to which Woody replies by bringing foward the movie's director. The director then tells the man he has no clue as to what the movie is about!
Another involves Michael Moriarity as Annie's wierd brother. He tells Woody that he fantasizes about wrecking his car when he is driving. Sure enough the next scene has Moriarity driving Annie and Woody home and Woody has this terrified expression on his face as Moriarity is driving.
There are so many more of these types of hilarious scenes! This is a great film to own so you could memorize the lines.

Annie Hall
Annie Hall by DVD (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 15.98 CDN$ 15.75