5.0 out of 5 stars It's war: no more, no less, Dec 12 2008
Jack Blatant (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generation Kill (DVD)
I saw the miniseries when it first came out on HBO and was fascinated by it. Some things you watch and put away, but some you watch over and over again... this one has its hooks in me, and I'm not even sure I could tell you why.

I've read a fair chunk of the commentary on the novel and the series, and there seem to be a lot of people rather agitated in one way or another. Some people think that there is no way that a battalion could have that many appalling officers. Some people say that this series is "the way it was." Many former military personnel seem at pains to point out that this is war from the lowest echelon point of view, with the implication that the grunts complained and moaned about things they didn't understand.

Well, I freely admit that I have never served in any military capacity, and for some that might disqualify me from making any comment on the verisimilitude of what this series portrays. If so, fair enough - but I would point out that even with this limitation firmly in my own mind, I hear the ring of truth when I watch this series. And if viewers are shocked by the seeming idiocy of certain command personnel, I encourage them to think about their own workplaces, and their own management.

I like this series because it makes no apologies, does not try to explain, or to frame events from within any ideology. These people are who they say they are. Judge them as you wish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this., Feb. 14 2009
Bianca (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generation Kill (DVD)
I can't stop watching this series. It is so easy to become attached to the characters as ordinary men as they embark on a journey that is anything but ordinary.

You get a sense of multiple aspects of Marine life- the good, the bad, the uncomfortable, the unfortunate, the funny, the painful, the luck, the skill, the emotional, the emotionless, subordination, incompetence, heroics, failures, just to name a few...

The fact that it is a true story, based on real people, a lot of the dialogue coming right from what was transcribed by the Rolling Stone writer embedded with them just makes it even better.

The acting is wonderful (Alexander Skarsgard does a a great job, and some of the marines actually play themselves or another one of their fellow marines) and this series may change your opinion (for better or worse) about Marines and the armed forces in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Series!!, Aug. 23 2009
Willow3171 (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generation Kill (DVD)
This came on HBO and I thought, well it's not necessarily my thing but why not? It gives an insight from the soldiers point of view into the US invasion to Iraq in 2003. I thought it was more realistic portrayal compared to others I have seen in this Genre. The casting was excellent, it blended actors with actual soldiers who took part in the invasion. I have to say, it totally sucked me right in. I watched the remainder of the episodes AND then I bought the series. Time well spent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Renegation Kill, Jan. 2 2010
This review is from: Generation Kill (DVD)
My husband & I started watching it last night. We were glued to the TV for Five hours. Leaving final DVD for tonight. It was just as good as The Wire which we bought a few years ago.And gave it a 10 out of 10. This one gets the same. Incredible reality and the casting of characters superb.The emotion we felt was incredible about what these young & older men are going threw over there. He really gets it across to the viewers. David Simon & Ed Burn have done it again.I hope they are going to continue down this path, the war is not over so they have endless ways to go .Would love to see a sequal & then some.
Regards Linda Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Nov. 21 2013
If you like the war movies/shows you should love this. It's a more raw look into the troops. No music unless they are singing it themselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting enough to watch over again, July 11 2013
This review is from: Generation Kill (DVD)
A friend showed me episode 1 and after that I was hooked and needed to get a copy myself. The series follows a group of younger marines going to war in Iraq who start out itching for any type of combat. as the series goes on you get more into the mind of the marines when they realize its not quite what they expected. You get a pretty raw look into the US military and see how human everyone is. Think of any company or business and how some people are better at their jobs and more effective leaders. The military is no different in that sense, what is different is that if you are not the one giving orders you are following orders and those orders will likely put your life in danger and are made by someone who doesn't have the whole picture of whats going on.

Overall this is an amazing series and a great inside look on the military, and I really liked how they ended it. Would have loved a couple more episodes but everything has to end sometime.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll watch this again and again, Dec 6 2013
Really enjoyed this, tells a great story and has fantastic production. It's a completely different beast than Band of Brothers or the Pacific but certainly worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 30 2013
Gary H - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Generation Kill (DVD)
I watched this series on TV and had to order the set. This is the best show about invading Iraq you will ever see. The missions are believable and the acting and directing are flawless.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only time I've wanted to join..., March 30 2013
This review is from: Generation Kill (DVD)
...was when I watched this show but damn, I'm not American. The title was too cheesy for me and without much emotional connection with the war, I wouldn't have bought it, but it was recommended vehemently online and I thank the people who recommended the show. I loved the human interaction and watched it straight to the end. A nice package although the second time I looked through it I forgot where the last disc was. A booklet of the slang terms I would have loved if I was younger but nonetheless helpful. I enjoyed myself, having read the booklet, was able to explain to my sister when she asked what some of the terms meant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment, April 11 2014
Don (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generation Kill (DVD)
Good entertainment if you enjoy Military stories. Missed it when originally aired as a Series on TV, but was recommended, and enjoyed the DVD collection.

Generation Kill
Generation Kill by Rudy Reyes (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 35.94 CDN$ 33.24