4.0 out of 5 stars I Look To Yoiu
A nice way to remember a great artist, a very tragic end to a young life,
it arrived on time and in perfect shape
Published 8 months ago by jbrookes

3.0 out of 5 stars "Houston, we have a problem..."
And that problem is Arista overlord Clive Davis. Ms. Houston SHOULD have let Davis sit this one out so she could make an edgier, more honest record out of her well-publicized troubles, but instead she plays it safe, belting out cliche after cliche and adhering to the standard Davis playbook every step of the way. Still, "Million Dollar Bill," "Nothin' But Love," and the...
Published on Oct. 12 2009 by LP Quagmire

4.0 out of 5 stars A warm and pleasant return, Sept. 12 2009
Louis (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Look To You (Audio CD)
Listening to "I look to you", Whitney Houston's new album after a long hiatus, it's easy to understand why her fans are applauding her return to music. In spite of its ups and downs, this album is easily the best thing Whitney has recorded since the soundtrack to "The Bodyguard".

The album is a near-perfect blend of old school and contemporary R&B, cleverly avoiding the predictable hip-hop infused sound that litters so many albums nowadays. In fact, with the exception of the annoying guest vocal spot from Akon, the album actually does very little to follow current trends; it's soulful without retorting to endless vocal runs, and it more than holds it own when you compare it to music released by younger acts. Songs like the engaging "Million Dollar Bill" or the melodic "Worth It" are both strong contenders for the charts, while the ballads "I Look To You" and "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" bring Whitney back to the sound that she shouldn't have neglected on her post-Bodyguard releases. "Call you tonight", "Nothin' but love" and "For the lovers" are as slick and urban as anything you'll hear on the radio; and while her disco-stomping cover of Leon Russell's "A Song For You" won't overshadow the memorable rendition of the Carpenters, it's a surprising take on a well-known song. "Salute" concludes the album on a pensive, longing note; as do many songs, it touches on Whitney's troubled years without getting into details, but reveals the pain that this woman has gone through and her resolve to overcome her personal demons. This restraint is admirable, since it would have been easy to turn "I Look To You" into tabloid-feeding fodder. It's probably her most personal album yet.

Much has been said about the fact that Whitney's voice is not what it used to be. Part of that is true : the thrilling high notes of yesterday have turned into a huskier tone, and she obviously avoids going for the vocal pyrotechnics that highlighted such classics as "I will always love you" or "Greatest love of all". This said, her new, deeper vocals are extremely appealing and still as expressive as they ever were. The material selection could have been a little better, a little more on the melodic side of things; as contemporary as they are, tracks like "Call you tonight", "Nothin' but love" and "For the lovers" sound a little flat, while the uneventful "I got you" stands out as the album's truly weakest link. Now that Whitney has demonstrated that she can still make beautiful music, it would be nice to see her producers matching her voice with material worthier of her talent.

Given the fact that this album just entered charts around the world at the number one position, it seems fair to say that this album is still a warm and surprising from an artist from whom not much was expected anymore. Welcome back, Whitney !

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, Sept. 16 2009
This review is from: I Look To You (Audio CD)
I don't care what people says about Whitney. I've listen to this album many times and ask myself..do I like it because it's Whitney or because the album is good. I came to the conclusion I like it because it's good. It got class, rythme, spirit and overall the cd has a good sound of R&B and the soul that I like on a album. So to me it deserves a 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Look to You Whitney Houston, Oct. 4 2009
F. Stevens (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Look To You (Audio CD)
Definately not the old Whitney Houston, didn't like it her singing isn't anywhere near as good as she used to be

I Look To You
I Look To You by Whitney Houston (Audio CD - 2009)