5.0 out of 5 stars When you're strange...
THE LOST BOYS is one of those nostalgic films that came out while I was in high school. It was refreshing to sit thru it recently as it had been so long since I saw it the 1st time around.
Published on Feb. 25 2004 by D. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Bloodsucking Fun and Big Hair
I don't think I was old enough to remember this film hitting cinemas, but I discovered it before I got too cynical and still have a deep affection for it. It combines horror, forbidden romance, comedy, and touches on issues of peer pressure, loss, divorce and the importance of sticking by your family (even if your brother is a vampire).
A mother (Dianne Wiest) and...
Published on May 26 2004 by Sophie Earp-Fulton

3.0 out of 5 stars Bloodsucking Fun and Big Hair, May 26 2004
Sophie Earp-Fulton "geek extraordinaire" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
A mother (Dianne Wiest) and her two sons (Corey Haim and Jason Patric) move from Arizona to sunny Santa Carla and in with their formulaic "crazy granpa" (you know the type I'm talking about) as a result of divorce. The eldest son Michael (Patric) quickly falls in with the Wrong Crowd by accidentally moving in on Head Honcho's girl (the lovely Jami Gertz). Things take a turn for the worse when Michael discovers these aren't your average bike punks, but a gang of wild vampires. Indeed. It's all up to bratty little bro Sam (Haim) and his new allies the Frog Brothers to save the day, and stop his mother from getting too cosy with a new guy who doesn't just run an appliance store (a nice performance from Edward Herrmann who seems to pop up everywhere).
Kiefer Sutherland is a treat as David, leader of the biker vamps, I still marvel at how he can make a peroxide mullet look cool. He plays this role as a sort of seductive bully very well.
Corey Feldman (because 1 Corey is never enough) also puts in a nice turn as Edgar Frog, plus you'll spot Alexander Winter of Bill & Ted's fame as one of the gang.
It's better than any recent vampire movie, has a great 80's soundtrack (Cry Little Sister, you know you love it) and a greasy saxophone man in purple pants. It's fun, there are a couple of scares and a nice hint of splatter (the Surf Nazi attack is like something out of Peter Jackson's Bad Taste). I give the bare-bones DVD package 3, but the movie 4. And fear not, there will be a special edition very soon with retrospectives, making of and tons more stuff, keep eyes peeled!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi with FANGS...., May 16 2004
MR Ellinas "Nicholas Ellinas" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This film is so eighties, that you could watch this 100 years from now (thats if youre still alive) and say that was sooooo 80s. Apart from the crazy hairstyles, most of us can identify the cast as 80s has beens, (sounds harsh but true) most of whom never had any success in the 90s, but were gods to me when I was a teen, very much like deCaprio is to todays youth. The Lost Boys was my favourite film as a kid and I remember being fascinated by the coolness of the cast. You never really saw vampires portrayed like this before, cool, tight leather clad teenagers who chilled out to jim morrison, and then went out on the vamp-rage. I have to say that I have been a fan of corey feldman, when i first saw him in 'stand by me,' and have always found him as a very funny actor who unfortunately hasnt returned to our cinema screens for a very long time. Check him out in 'The Burbs,' with Tom Hanks. Anyway as for the DVD it has nothing going for it, except a trailer, hence the score I gave, but I read there is a special edition coming out towards the end of 2004.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Michael, how could a billion Chinese people be wrong?", March 26 2004
By A Customer
Recently divorced Lucy Emerson (Weist) and her two sons move to Santa Carla, CA, and move in with her father. The two teens soon find things to keep their attention. For Sam (Haim), it's the local comic shop, run by the Frog Brothers (Feldman and Jamison Newlander). Michael (Patric) finds a teen girl named Star (Gertz) to hold his attention. However, he soon finds that she spends her time with a group of teen bikers, led by a guy named David (Sutherland). After a couple encounters with the gang, Michael is invited to join them.
What he doesn't realize until too late is that these teens are all vampires, and he unwittingly drinks some of David's blood (he is told that it's wine). This has the effect of turning him into a half-vampire. He acquires the attributes of a vampire, such as the ability to fly and superior strength, but he will not become a true vampire until he makes his first kill. He also discovers that Star is in the same situation as he is.
Meanwhile, the Frog Brothers tell Sam that Santa Carla is crawling with vampires, which he doesn't believe. But after discovering that Micahael's reflection is fading, and a near attack by his brother, he is convinced they are telling the truth. He teams up with them to rid the town of the blood-suckers, and with the help of Michael discover where David and his friends hang out (literally).
There are a lot of really good things about this movie. The script is well written, the acting is above-average, and the effects are really well done. Another thing I liked is the inclusion of some vampire mythology. Especially the part where the gang is eating Chinese food in their hangout, and David uses his power to convince Michael that the rice he's eating is maggots, and that the noodles are really worms. I also liked the fact that they could actually fly without having to turn into bats.
Everything worked well in this movie. There was a little bit of gore, action, humor, drama, love story. And believe it or not, I actually enjoyed "The Coreys" being in this movie together. Good call on the casting department to cast both of these guys together, and for getting Sutherland to play David. I thought he was the best actor in this movie. Go pick this movie up and enjoy it, and if you've seen it before, see it again. It's just as good as you remembered.
THE LOST BOYS could be viewed as an early example of the Hollywoodization that would come to plague the horror genre in the 90's. It's flashy, it's funny, it's got a few name stars in it, and it was heavily promoted. As far as a horror movie goes, it's really about average. But the overall movie is so watchable (and re-watchable) that it gets a well-deserved four on my horror scale.

5.0 out of 5 stars When you're strange..., Feb. 25 2004
D. Roberts "Hadrian12" (Battle Creek, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
The movie features a very young Keifer Sutherland and Jason Patrick as well as an ultra-young Corey Haim & Corey Feldman. I do believe this was the 1st movie Haim & Feldman made together, and was one of the very 1st that Sutherland made.
If you like the horror / comedy genre, this is one of the films that pioneered that field. It doesn't go so far as slapstick (like the horrendous latter NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET movies) but does retain a certain macabre charm. The vampire element is handled well, always being a backdrop but never becoming too overwhelming to the comedic aspect of the film.
One of the differences between LOST BOYS and other vampire flicks is that we never learn how old the vampires are. Typically, we see a middle aged person, find out he / she is a vampire & then learn that he / she is 600 years old. While they do mention the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, they never divulge that they were actually THERE during the quake.
If you like vampire flicks, THE LOST BOYS is for you. It's one of the better ones I've ever seen, and is also bereft of the standard gun-blazing vampire movies of recent times. LOST BOYS is fun, nostalgic & it's strange. Even after all these years it's still eerie to hear the youth choir sing the Ten Commandments to a New Age melody...

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost in the 80's, Feb. 9 2004
I would have given the Lost Boys 3 and a half stars but I couldn't so I just gave it 3 stars. The Lost Boys is a fun movie to watch and it has its moments. If you want to see a nostalgic 80's movie well look no further because it reeks of the 80's everywhere you look in it. It is a cool movie and all the actors play there roles really well. After I saw Speed 2: Cruise Control, I never wanted to see another Jason Patric movie, but he played the role of Michael really well. As did his younger brother Sam, played by Corey Haim. Haim was beaten with an 80's stick as you can tell by his clothing and hair but he plays his role well as a obnoxious little brother. Keifer Sutherland also stars in this movie and it was one of his better roles he has played in his movies. I noticed with movies starring Sutherland he plays the role of being a bad guy really well.
This is a brief plot synopsis of the Lost Boys. Michael, Sam, and his mother move to California from Phoenix. The town looks cool but it is has a vampire problem. Michael gets an eye for a girl named Star and he finds out she isn't a normal teenage girl. He then gets tricked by Sutherland who is a vampire and Michael becomes a vampire then too. I don't feel like telling the rest of the story so just watch the movie.
Like I said earlier The Lost Boys is entertaining and it reeks of the 80's. I have heard some people say it is the best vampire movie of all time. I don't think so, just because this is alittle too light hearted to be considered the best. Personally I would have to say Interview with the Vampire is the best. I have never seen Nosferatu but I've heard great things about that.
The DVD itself is nothing special. The special features aren't anything great and the interactive menus aren't animated at all. So if you are the type who cares about kind of stuff you will be disapointed. The picture and sound quality isn't bad though and that is the only thing that really should matter when it comes to Dvd's.
So if you are looking for a good movie that will entertain you and is a fun vampire movie then look no further to the Lost Boys.
Movie - B
DVD (special features, animated interactive menus) - D

3.0 out of 5 stars The vampire rules and the comedy bits just do not work, Jan. 24 2004
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have two major problems with "The Lost Boys." The first is that I know too much about vampires, gained from not only watching all those Dracula movies, reading Anne Rice novels, and consuming everything having to do with "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," but from having read pretty much everything in "The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead." So when Sam Emerson (Corey Haim) not only discovers that his brother Michael (Jason Patric) has become a vampire, but that there is a way of undoing his being undead, I am no longer willing to suspend my disbelief. I should add that this idea runs into one of my standard pet peeves from the "Star Trek" universe, which is that while I believe "X" can cause you to mutate from human to something else, reversing the process should never be as easy as it is. But the idea here is that if you kill Vampire A who created a Vampire B, then Vampire B can stop being a vampire (sort of a twist on the Anne Rice theory of vampires). There is a caveat: you have to do it before they take their first victim. Sure, it sounds simple, but it sure flies in the face of well-established vampire lore.
The second problem I have with this 1987 film is that it is supposed to be funny, but it just is not. Sam is aided and abetted in his efforts to save his brother by the Frog Brothers, Edgar (Corey Feldman) and Alan (Jamison Newlander). The boys work for their doped out hippie parents at the local comic book shop, which sounds like a great idea. Who better to know how to fight the undead they kids raised on comics? But Feldman is trying to do some sort of impersonation of Sylvester Stallone and Newlander goes for something more taciturn, and it just does not work. The comic slapstick smacks of something really juvenile and just turns this into "Mommy, My Brother's a Vampire!"
On the plus side is Keiffer Sutherland. If you thought he was a bully in "Stand By Me," then you will enjoy every moment he is on the screen as David, leader of a group of "teenage" vampires. This is a pretty good idea, talking "Interview with the Vampire" and crossing it with the "Wild Bunch." But Sutherland ends up being a bit player in the proceedings while we deal with domestic comedy situations, such as Sam's mom (Diane Weist) trying to date a nice local guy (Edward Herrmann), and the romantic subplot between Michael and the young lady vamp, Star (Jami Gertz). There are a few good ideas thrown in here (e.g., think of a cave as being a giant coffin), but with all the misfires they come across as nicks rather than palatable hits. Cinematographer Michael Chapman provides the appropriate mood, but director Joel Schumacher's story is too complicated and the attempts at comedy too feeble to save this one. However, the less you know about vampires the more you might like this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Vampire Fans, Jan. 7 2004
T. Smith (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
Kiefer Sutherland and Jason Patric hit big with Joel Schumacher's vampire cult classic from the 80's. Already proving himself as a talent for the cocky bad-boy, Sutherland delivers a solid performance as the teenage leader of the vampires. And Jason Patric in his second and arguably best film plays the role of Michael. Michael, his mother, and younger brother are the new family in a town full of vampires. Michael falls for Star(Jamie Gertz), a female vampire. In turn, Sutherland's David instead of killing Michael changes him into a vampire. The story revolves around Michael struggling with becoming fully vampire and his younger brother's quest to save him with help from Edgar and Alan Frog, the former played by Corey Feldman, who are self-proclaimed vampire hunters. While some may consider the script and acting a bit juvenille and quirky, this movie captures the attention of any vampire fan and holds it until the end. I have thouroghly enjoyed this movie for several years and fully recommend adding it to your collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy, mildly entertaining 80's Flick, Oct. 7 2003
By A Customer
"The Lost Boys" is an average teeny bopper flick from the 80's. It's notable only for a couple of decent performances, some funny one-liners, and one of the first gay protagonists in a teen movie history. Corey Haim's character is supposed to be gay! The film never tells you this, but drops hints all over the place. Look at the flamboyent way he dresses. He has no interest in women and, in fact, gets annoyed with his older brother for chasing after the stunning Jami Gertz. He sings a woman's song in the tub. And how about that poster of a half-clad Rob Lowe in his bedroom? (In 1987, no heterosexual teenage boy in his right mind would have had a picture of a half-naked Rob Lowe in his bedroom!) Director Joel Schummacher is out and I have no question that he meant for this character to be gay. Although, I do wonder if he told poor Corey Haim about this decision. (Speaking of poor Corey. The last I heard he attempted to sell his teeth and hair on E-Bay in order to raise money for his pain-killer drug habit.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Those "lost boys" still haunt me to this day..., Sept. 20 2003
By A Customer
This may be one of the very best films of its genre. No, it actually is. I first saw The Lost Boys at a local movie theater when I was a little girl, and it has always been the best movie I have ever seen in a theater. I was only five, but I remember even now that I was haunted by the characters, the plot and the music for days afterward. Joel Shumacher wanted to create a dream-like feel to his work, and he knew exactly what he was doing. Truly original, it was very eighties and contemporary but still manages, in some way, to remain a classic as well. It's interesting to find out how different the former version of the script was from how the film turned out. The Lost Boys was actually being rewritten in some areas even as it was being filmed. (Some of the best things happen by accident or on spur of the moment.) Kiefer Sutherland as David, the nastiest bloodsucker of the four nocturnal dudes, can't be matched. His sinister laugh, his blood-draining gaze, and that incredible, very, very sexy voice, makes half the movie what it is. Jason Patric just seemed right as Michael. He has a quietness about him that makes him seem vulnerable yet tough at the same time. A very believable, very natural performance. Jami Gertz was beautiful and did her thing as the lone female vampire. She wasn't the annoying girl you usually want killed off. Instead, you look forward to when she appears in the next scene. I really like the way she potrays Star to be so mysterious and almost ethereal.
I had to get this on DVD (I found the soundtrack as well and pop it in when I take breaks while studying). Once in a while, you come across a movie that you can see a thousand times and never get tired of it. The Lost Boys is one of them.
P.S. There may be talks of doing a sequel to this film. I'm not sure. Maybe there still is, maybe there was at one time but not any longer. Please, please, anybody -- everybody -- DO NOT LET THAT SEQUEL HAPPEN. Without a doubt, it would be a stake through the heart of the original ... and its fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best movie of the 80's! The Lost Boys rule!, Aug. 28 2003
By A Customer
"Sleep all day, party all night, never grow old, never die...its good to be a vampire!" Haha awesome line...and has way funny one-liners.(like 'worms!' 'you don't like rice? a billion chinese people can't be wrong!' ) This movie rocks...best 80's flick and better than any of those stupid 80's movie sherry watches! Way cool sound track too...'people are strange' and 'though shall not fall' (that karen, listening to that all day...she thinks she's a vampire). I'm trying to get my good cousin mander to watch it too...she better have watched it by the time this review comes out! This movie has already cracked my top 20 movie list and karen's and derrick's list. As for that derrick fellow, he's one funny dude. He was trying to be like micheal and eat maggots. Everytime he eats rice, I say: "your eating maggots derrick" Hahah, but derrick wants to be one of the frog brothers. he thinks he's a vampire hunter so the other day he went to church and filled his water gun with holy water! then he went up to karen and started squirting her. after karen didn't sizzle like a vampire, karen punched that fat bloke of a derrick straight in the stomach and knocked him out. "If there's one thing I can't stomach in santa cruz, its these damn VAMPIRES!" hahha man 'people are strange'

The Lost Boys [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 9.99