5.0 out of 5 stars The Music Man
Published on June 8 2011 by Movie Crazy from Kitchener, On...

3.0 out of 5 stars There should be more...
Published on May 13 2012 by G. Coughlin

5.0 out of 5 stars The Music Man, June 8 2011
This review is from: Music Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When I purchase a Blu-Ray movie from Amazon I want to know about the quality of the picture and sound. Besides the fact that the Music Man is a great musical, the quality of the picture will blow you away. They must have used the orginal negatives because the picture is incredible. The picture jumps out at you even though its not 3D. The sound is DTS 5.1 surround sound and is great. You think you are in River City listening to Professor Harold Hill sing, "You got trouble here in River City". There is also a wonderful documentary on the making of the Music Man hosted by Shirley Jones. Would highly recommend this Blu-Ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11 2014
Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oldie but a Great Film!!, Feb. 17 2014
Amazon Customer (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Music Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It is everything you'd expect from a film from 1960, but really - a stellar cast, great production values, and wonderful music, how can you go wrong? Well, you Can't. It's a wonderful film, and truly a Classic from the time when Hollywood actually knew how to make Great Film (it's been a long time since).

5.0 out of 5 stars Music Man, July 29 2013
This review is from: Music Man (DVD)
This is a wonderful musical. They don't make movies like they used to. This is a good example of one of those classical hits that are a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars So great in HD!, July 19 2013
This review is from: Music Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I love this movie so much, and I was excited to see that it is now available on Blu-Ray! Unfortunately, no DVD version was included, which is too bad. Other than that, the film is a wonderful story about a con-man who falls in love with a piano teacher from Iowa. Recommended, unless you don't have a Blu-Ray disk player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Nostalgic Movie, March 29 2013
This review is from: Music Man (DVD)
Upbeat feel good movie. I can watch it over and over for the upbeat music and the happy ending.
Makes me want to sing along ( even though I can't) even after the movie is finished.

3.0 out of 5 stars There should be more..., May 13 2012
G. Coughlin (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Man (DVD)
Great movie, which I remember from my childhood....But this is 2012....The DVD doesn't contain the 'Options' for 'Play or Scene Selection'...I put the DVD in my player and it begins to play. If I want to play a particular Scene or Song, I need to use my remote and 'fast foreword or go back'...It's a bit frustrating as it is a musical and not having the Option for Scene Selection sucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Till There Was You", July 30 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Music Man (VHS Tape)
The scope of this musical is so overwhelming I hardly know where to begin.

We start on a train car of traveling salesmen circa 1912. They are discussing the trouble they have looking creditable after each community they visit was visited by an unscrupulous salesman Professor Harold Hill (Robert Preston). As they approach Iowa they proclaim that people in Iowa are not so gullible and at least here Harold Hill does not have a chance.

"Gentlemen you intrigue me" as the "professor" stands up to take the challenge.

Robert Preston makes such a likable scoundrel that you find your self routing for him. Brought more to life by the music of Composer Meredith Willson we see a story where Harold Hill just may get caught in his own trap, "Till There Was You"

Aside from the music and a great tale that are many fine actors in this rendition and you will find yourself quoting them often. One of my favorite quotes is when Eulalie Mackechnie Shinn (Hermione Gingold) is returning a copy of Balzac to the library and says "It's a smutty book".

The Last Starfighter

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 20 2014
This review is from: The Music Man (DVD)
Best musical ever. Robert Preston and Shirley Jones at their best! How about that Ron Howard?

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Musical, March 8 2003
D. Allen "meeko_2003" (Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Music Man (VHS Tape)
I must admit the first time I ever watched this version of the "Music Man", I wasn't exactly impressed. The music was great, the acting very good, but still something didn't seem right. After watching the version staring Matthew Broderick on ABC and loved it, I decided to give the original another try. I've come to the conclusion that the film's major flaw is its cinematography. The film never seems to break past being a Broadway show and most of the staging reflects that. Most of the action takes place just as it would on the stage with little creativity. Even with this flaw, the film is still a lot of fun. Robert Preston's Harold Hill, the traveling con man attempting to swindle the town of River City, is a remarkable performance. Herminie Granger and Susan Luckey also put in great performances as Mrs. Shinn, the mayor's wife, and her daughter Zaneeta respectively. Shirley Jones also stars as Marian, the town librarian and music teacher that Hill falls in love with. While the character has so much potential, Jones seems to play her somewhat flat and is also limited by not being able to act and sing at the same time. All in all, though, it's a fun film and recommended to any musical fan.

Music Man [Blu-ray]
Music Man [Blu-ray] by Morton DaCosta (Blu-ray - 2010)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 19.45