summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Color: White|Change

on December 17, 2013
Hello mixer fans!

I got this little dandy from Cuisinart on sale locally after the good reviews both here and from America's Test Kitchen. It is indeed a good hand mixer that despite other bigger and varied mixing devices in my kitchen comes in handy at times (think quick mashed potatoes and easier cleanup than an upright). I like the power and adjustability of speed just fine but there are two design flaws that aren't working for me. My neighbour will love it as a free re-gift but I'd be hesitant to spend $38 for it again.

The minor flaw: The 'trigger' to release the beaters is in an awkward place, just under the hand grip. This means that more than once you're going to pull on it instinctively and have your beaters shoot out at full velocity. It's not a safety factor I don't think but it will scare the heck out of your cats and make a mess depending on where you're pointing the thing at the time. Cuisinart should move it to the side or make it slightly less easier to activate somehow.

And the fatal flaw for me...slow start is a great idea. All mixers should have it. But Cuisinarts implementation here (that I had to research to make sure I didn't have a lemon) fails miserably. You turn on the mixer and it shoots up to about a '3' setting for a few seconds before calming back down to the slowest '1' setting. That's not 'slow start', that's 'eventually slow as your first setting'. That means you have either start your mixer with the beaters in the air and then apply to your bowl or (depending on ingredients) bury them in the flour or potatoes or whatever and hope they 'insulate' you from the splatter. Back to the drawing board on this one Cuisinart.

It IS a good mixer otherwise for power and grip and such but I'd wait for the next revision that hopefully clears up these issues. Happy mixing!
on January 29, 2010
I read reviews for various mixers at any price. This came through as the best value for a hand mixer. It is well designed and easier to get the job done most of the time over the stand mixer.
on January 30, 2013
I chose this because it had good reviews, and it lived up to my expectations. My old hand mixer belongs to my mother, and it is probably from the 80s, and whenever I had to use it for a long time (meringue, whipped cream, etc) I could smell a burning smell. This new one is great! I used it for the first time to make butter from scratch with the special whisk attachment it comes with. I love the slow start, it didn't spatter everywhere. Great value for your money, and very practical when you don't feel like taking out the big stand mixer.
on February 19, 2011
Great price on sale - nice product. This mixer has the power for making a big batch of mashed potatoes, to whipping cream. I love the slow start feature. All the controls are intuitive, and the beater design is very effective. Overall, I highly recommend this Cuisinart product.
on March 30, 2011
The item arrived quickly, was well boxed and in perfect condition. I've only used it a couple of times up to now, but it seems to be just as advertised - with only a small reservation - I had expected the advertised "slow start" to be a little slower than it is. However, it didn't spatter food at the start, which is the main thing. Seems very powerful. I really like the clean-up with the open beaters, and I'm looking forward to using the chef's whisk that came with it. All in all, I'd definitely recommend this product.
on September 22, 2012
I was looking to augment my 5-speed Kitchen Aid hand mixer with something a little cheaper to take with me on my winter "siesta" into the land of palms (I was concerned with theft and didn't want to lose one of my most trusted and important kitchen appliances which I have had for nearly 20 years) and decided on the Cuisinart because of the company's good reputation, the soft-start feature of the HM-70BCK and the electronic controls. Although I have only used it a handfull of times thus far, I love the soft-start feature so much that I now use the Cuisinart as my everyday machine and will be taking the Kitchen Aid to the tropics instead. Also the Cuisinart's power seems every bit as good as the Kitchen Aid it is replacing. A further influence in my decision to purchase the Cuisinart was the fact that reviews on Amazon were so mixed for all the various machines, ranging from "junk" to "fabulous" that I realized I would be taking a chance no matter what I bought, and because the posted price for the Cuisinart was so low compared to local retail outlets and in relation to bottom-end machines that lacked any quality features, that I figured I would not lose too much if the former ratings turned out to be closer to the mark than the latter. While I am very pleased with the Cuisinart so far, I was, as usual, most impressed with the unbelievably fast delivery from Amazon, even though I chose the "Free Delivery" option.
on December 10, 2011
I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. My only concern is that I could have bought the 5 speed one, since I just need it for occasional pastry baking. I think the 7 speed would be a good choice for professionals. However, it is very powerful and a high quality purchase.
on September 3, 2012
I was very pleased with this mixer, after all it's a Cuisinart. The reason I bought this was because of the beater shape. The batter doesn't get stuck to them. Love the extra whip beater for egg whites or whipped cream. It's nice and heavy and stands on it's end when scraping down the bowl. Treat yourself and buy one!!!!!!
on April 21, 2011
This is the best hand mixer I've ever used. With the amount of power behind this mixer, you can do the job in half the amount of time. Worth the purchase, and with a brand name of Cuisinart you can count on a quality product.
on March 20, 2013
Looked at the ratings for this hand-mixer and bought it with no hesitation. Very very impressed! Does a wonderful job in all situations! Would highly recommend! Buy it!!!