4.0 out of 5 stars Program Good, Packaging Should Have Been Better, Jan. 14 2009
J. Field - See all my reviews
This review is from: Primeval: Volume One (DVD)
All comments are MY OPINION, so please take them that way.

"Primeval" as a program is a good one, if you like "light" Sci Fi. It's got humour, some romance, and really, who doesn't like a handsome man with a Scottish accent? ;)

As with all Sci Fi television (and I can honestly say "general" television programs) it suffers from the "why would you do THAT???" syndrome. For example, if you know you are tracking an animal that injects venom into your body, why do you go searching for it without covering yourself head to toe in body armor? Why leave skin exposed? But that's the same with any program, so if you can suspend your disbelief you'll be fine.

My main issue, and why I didn't give it 5 stars, is with how this DVD set is produced and packaged.

First, don't panic, there is no Volume 2 yet. My first reaction after taking it from the Amazon box was "ARRGGHHH!! I only have Volume 1???". After checking all over the Internet to see if I somehow was missing Volume 2, there isn't one. I'm assuming will be Season 3, who knows.

Second, there is no disc information AT ALL. Which episodes are on which disc? Who does the commentary? Is there commentary? On which disc are the specials? WHO KNOWS! It would have helped if they had included at least a listing of information in the inside or outside of the DVD case. This is great disservice to the purchaser, but luckily Amazon.ca has the disc list on the sale page.

Third, the quality of the film transfer is not as good as I would have thought for the price of the DVDs (it's not a dig at Amazon, they are pricey everywhere). In some shots the quality is grainy, if it's an "atmospheric" element it's lost on me. I just find it irritating, but then I'm used to "Doctor Who" where the images are crystal clear on the DVDs.

Is it worthy buying? In my humble opinion, yes. If you can buy it without it being a financial burden, then sure, it's a fun show and I'm enjoying it. Also, there maybe no other way for North American viewers to see it, unless you track down episodes online- I did that and believe me you need subtitles, Douglas Henshall's lovely accent is a bit thick at times. "Oh, he said 'Forest of Dean', not 'You're the son of the Dean'!"

I hope this review helps, I'm sorry it's light on program content but you can read that at Wikipedia. I just wanted to give you an overall opinion on the DVD experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best time travel series in a long time!, Dec 24 2013
Dave Henly (GRAND FORKS, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Primeval: Volume One (DVD)
First I had never heard of it until the Canadian production was written up in the Vancouver Province - the article said it was similar to the BBC production - so I thought I had better get the BBC series and see if I liked it. I thought the premise was excellent, the characters (which have since been either killed off or have left, except for 2) acting was excellent - so yes, I would say "Buy It!" - I am now watching the 2nd season and hope over the Christmas holidays to watch Seasons 3 & 4. I am still waiting for the Canadian series to arrive; it's called "Primeval: The new World" - hope it lives up to the BBC series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting series, Sept. 20 2013
This review is from: Primeval: Volume One (DVD)
I chose this series, as I really enjoy the surprises. I had seen the first show on TV, a few years back and always wanted to see the whole series. We were not disappointed. I would recommended it to other family members, as well as other Sci Fi friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Primeval Volume One, Sept. 11 2012
This review is from: Primeval: Volume One (DVD)
This series is amazing.! I think it is spectacular what Tim Haines and Adrian Hodges have done with CGI and anamatronics.

The 4 disks contains all of the episodes from Season 1 & 2 as well as 2 documentaries: Behind the scenes & Through the Anomoly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, Jan. 15 2010
This review is from: Primeval: Volume One (DVD)
Perfect blend of action, sci-fi, humour and drama. You'll watch this series over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Primeval Review, Jan. 8 2010
Brian Doyle - See all my reviews
This review is from: Primeval: Volume One (DVD)
I am a big fan of this series. Love everything about. Very sad to hear that it was cancelled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and Unusual, Feb. 28 2009
Mrs. Patricia Bell "Dragonflyer" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
Primeval: The Complete Series 1 and 2

Very sweet and unusual special effects for a TV series. I enjoyed most of the stories except for the side drama of the on/off wife of the project leader. She was just weird with a capitol W. I am waiting patiently for the next season to be on DVD because I can't see it on the TV. Patience is not my favorite subject. Hurry up, Guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Primeval Rules!, Oct. 8 2011
Robyn Gordon (Port Hardy, BC CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Primeval: Volume One (DVD)
I've just recently become interested in Primeval because of James Murray. It's turned out to be a really good series on its own! They have come so far with CG animation. Way better than earlier stuff.

Primeval: Volume One
Primeval: Volume One by Nick Murphy (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 62.48 CDN$ 18.99