4.0 out of 5 stars Fine release of a Hitchcock Classic, why pay more?
Having already reviewed the wonderful film "Notorious" this review deals with the DVD releases in question. Reading the reviews praising Criterion Collections "great acheivement" over Anchor Bays "bare-bones" release lit a fire under me. The fact is most re-viewers even those with high-end equipment came to DVD direct from VHS land. DVD is their first experience with...
Published on Jan. 29 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Supplements, Average Picture Quality
As usual, Criterion has gone all out in producing a fine DVD of a great classic. I have to say however, that I was very disappointed in the picture quality. Overall, Criterion has no rival when it comes to producing the finest picture imaginable.
Unfortunately, I have to give the nod to Anchor Bay's DVD of "Notorious". It was nearly flawless, whereas the...
Published on Oct. 28 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest movies ever!, Sept. 22 2002
JP (Fremont, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Notorious (VHS Tape)
Alfred Hitchcock is by far my favorite director, and this is definatly one of his best. Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman are terrific in the mezmerizing roles they play. All I can say now is, if you don't own this video, THEN GET IT NOW!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Romance!, Feb. 28 2013
This review is from: Notorious [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I love the old black and whites, and this is definitely one of my favorites!! It has mystery, suspense, spies, and romance. What could be better? I got so upset with Cary Grant when he judged the poor girl wrongly!! I'm glad that it all turned out as it did! The awful Mother and Son got their come-uppence!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 28 2014
D. H. Burney (Ottawa) - See all my reviews
Ordinary with a capital O

1.0 out of 5 stars Criterion's Highest Technical Quality?, Nov. 12 2001
By A Customer
When I discoved that Hitchcock's wonderful classic, Notorious had been transferred to dvd, I immediately bought a copy - distributed by Anchor Bay. This copy however, had a few problems - skips within the movie, as if someone bumped the machine while the movie was recording, being one of them. One thing that I can say about the Anchor Bay version is, the beautiful GRAINLESS transfer, with rich deep blacks, and pristine whites, and NO DUST BUNNIES!
I returned my Anchor Bay copy, and anxiously awaited the Criterion release of my favorite movie. This 'dual-layered' disc was not worth the wait. The Criterion verison is very grainy, with many, many dust particles throughout the transfer, and there is actual ghosting - where it appears that the negative lifted during copying - in the bungalow scene. Very sloppy work from a studio that prides itself on 'the highest technical quality'.
I pre-ordered Rebecca, and I've already imagined the worst. I did keep my Anchor Bay copy of this film, and I'm very tempted to re-order another copy of their Notorious dvd, just to see if maybe I received a bad copy, the first time around. Because even without the Criterion supplements, this transfer is visually superior than Criterion's, and for a fraction of the price.
Notorious was the first of three dvd classics, that I've purchased from the Criterion Collection. Aside from the interesting, and informative supplements, the visuals (ALL 3 discs) are the poorest, yet experienced in the dvd format. Are all Criterion transfers so slipshod?
Definitely the supplements are not worth the price of a dvd that has MORE GRAIN than a VHS, and endless dust particules - have they ever been introduced to canned air, or negative cleaner? Amazing.
Ask Anchor Bay for a 'Notorious Re-Dux', and spend the savings on a second dvd. Buyer Beware - of them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Movie, Dec 31 2012
This review is from: Notorious (DVD)
A great Hitchcock movie with two marvellous stars at their charismatic best and great supporting actors. A pleasure to watch

5.0 out of 5 stars simply my favourite Hitchcock movie, Dec 3 2010
Miki (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Notorious (DVD)
This is a classic Hitchcock spy thriller nvolving ex-nazis in South America, with an love story thrown in. All actors are at their best, the plot and dialogue are intelligent and of course the direction is pure Hitchcock. Cary Grant was and remains the ideal leading man and Bergman is as luminous as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Hitchcock, Aug. 27 2009
D. Eisenhaur "DO Eisenhaur" (Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Notorious (DVD)
I think that this is Hitchcock's best.I enjoyed seeing it when it first came out. Great then, great now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Criterion is NOT the Paragon of Quality, Nov. 21 2001
By A Customer
The folks at Criterion have successfully spun for themselves a reputation of utmost quality, what with their self-serving linear notes and "important" choices in films, but upon viewing some of their releases of classic films, I've come to the conclusion that this is mostly pomp and bluster.
Criterion has NOT done justice to some incredibly important films, such as this one. See the other reviews for details. Another example of their shoddy (but expensive) work is their release of "Time Bandits," which includes FAKE widescreen (cropping off the top and bottom of the picture for absolutely no reason), and similar shadyness concerning certain Kurosawa films that they released.
Don't believe the hype about Criterion standing for quality. They don't. They DO however stand for higher prices.

1.0 out of 5 stars did i miss something?, June 26 2001
Joshua Feibus (Gainesville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Notorious [Import] (DVD)
everyone seems to love this movie, including it being on imdb top 250, but i found almost nothing good about it at all. the only saving grace of the movie is cary grant. the rest of the movie is just boring romance fodder in the typical selznick/hitchcock trashy way. i wish we could just erase that era and remember hitchcock for his work before and after it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, May 29 2001
John W. Bollinger (Louisville, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Notorious (VHS Tape)
I was totally disappointed in this movie. It moves so slow and there is no suspense. I was expecting much better. I would not waste my time watching it.

Notorious
Notorious by Alfred Hitchcock (DVD - 2008)
CDN$ 15.98