5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!
This kettle is amazing. It is sleek and nice to look at, boils very quickly and I can finally have green tea that tastes refreshing and not over-cooked and bitter. You might not think variable temperatures are necessary but if you are a tea drinker you will notice a huge difference!
Published on Dec 17 2009 by Amy Stillar

1.0 out of 5 stars nice appliance but has Achilles heel
I would have given this item a rating of five stars but it doesn't work as of yesterday. To be fair it operated great until one of the screws inside the kettle, that holds the handle, popped off. Water now leaks out at the handle. I doubt I can fix it since the reason the screw popped out is that the housing that it threaded into sheared.

Other customers...
Published 10 months ago by B. Paulite

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, Dec 17 2009
Amy Stillar "Lanata" (North Bay, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville 1.8L Variable Temperature Kettle BKE820XL (Kitchen)

5.0 out of 5 stars ecellent tea kettle...temperature selections are accurate, Oct. 21 2010
Abbotsford Flyers (Abbotsford, BC. Canada) - See all my reviews
Reviewed this Breville tea kettle thoroughly. It heats the water to the desired temperature as selected, quickly and quietly giving a beep when the desired temperature is attained. There is a safety feature that will not allow the kettle to boil if there is too little water.

This kettle is for tea! Should you desire a simple electric kettle there are many makes on the market. My wife, who does not like new gadgets thought this tea kettle was great. She is right handed and I am left, so the swivel works great for us, as well as seeing how much water you are putting into it. Two plastic inserts on both sides indicate the water level.

This goes great with a tea infuser and stove top timer. Simply decide how much tea you want, fill to desired level and select the type of tea or temperature and hit the start button. An additional feature which is nice is the hold button. It will keep the temperature at the selected temperature for 20 minutes. Naturally it reduces the boil selection to 209 degree instead of letting the water boil down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise fantastic product for green tea's 75c target temperature - takes ..., Aug. 19 2014
Product plastic water level now states "BPA Free", in case someone else is wondering.
Otherwise fantastic product for green tea's 75c target temperature - takes out the guess work and/or thermometer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breville Kettle, April 26 2012
Over the years, I have gone through quite a number of kettles, electric or no and quite frankly, the new Breville is ans will be hard to beat. Love the variable temperature ratings that take the guess work out of boiling and I am delighted with how quiet the product is. Thumbs up all the way !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, Feb. 21 2012
Positives:
amazing build quality
Heats up fast
Warms to set temperature to avoid boiling
Has hold button to keep tempurature

Negatives:
Once kettle is removed from base hold button is released, it should remain on for short time.
For pour over it should have goose neck spout.

1.0 out of 5 stars nice appliance but has Achilles heel, April 24 2014

Other customers experienced this failure, as well (see "dsiiatski" one star review). I feel sick having to put this otherwise fine appliance in the garbage. I'll try to contact Breville, but based I doubt I'll get better treatment than the other reviewers. If Breville steps up I'll post a five star review.

1.0 out of 5 stars The viewing window and lid contain BPA, Jan. 9 2010
First, this kettle is gorgeous! I bought it for it's beauty and easy to use variable temperature and the fact it had a viewing window to easily see how much water was inside. Before I used it, I emailed Breville to find out what type of plastic the viewing window was made from. The response I received was a defensive email about how polycarbonate and BPA are safe for food contact and this kettle is safe. I've been reading the research on BPA and polycarbonate for years, so they didn't share anything new with me. I would have preferred their response to simply state "polycarbonate" and then offer to provide me with more information if I had any concerns.

Regardless, they weren't going to change my mind. I don't feel comfortable with polycarbonate around my boiling (or close to boiling) water and in this day and age where BPA is a huge uproar, I am super surprised that Breville came out with a brand new kettle containing polycarbonate. I would have loved to see this kettle have a glass viewing window and lid, that would have been super! Especially with the price point they are selling this at. Having it be a "toxin free" kettle with no plastic would have been a great marketing move.

I did reply and thank them for the information and politely told them I would be returning it due to the polycarbonate, but that if they came out with a version that had glass instead of polycarbonate, I'd snap it up in a second. I received no further reply from Breville.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 28 2014
Glad to see that Breville has changed the plastic components of this kettle to a BPA-free material.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kettle Stand Remains Hot Even When Not In Use, March 4 2012
The kettle features were what I hoped: individual temperature settings. However, the stand was very hot even when not in use. I contacted the Breville customer line. They told me that they were aware of this and advised me to always unplug the kettle when not in use. Unfortunately, I am not the only person using the kettle and so I will not use it for fire safety concerns.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product!, April 15 2013
C. Ellis (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
My daughter and myself are experimenting with all types of teas. It is very convenient having the different temperature settings as having invested money in premium teas, this enables us to brew these teas for optimum flavour without burning them.

Although this kettle is a little more expensive than others, it is totally worth the money.

Breville 1.8L Variable Temperature Kettle BKE820XL