5.0 out of 5 stars Breville Kettle
Over the years, I have gone through quite a number of kettles, electric or no and quite frankly, the new Breville is ans will be hard to beat. Love the variable temperature ratings that take the guess work out of boiling and I am delighted with how quiet the product is. Thumbs up all the way !!!
Published on April 26 2012 by Tony

1.0 out of 5 stars The viewing window and lid contain BPA
Published on Jan. 9 2010 by Mama G

5.0 out of 5 stars Breville Kettle, April 26 2012
This review is from: Breville 1.8L Variable Temperature Kettle BKE820XL (Kitchen)

4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, Feb. 21 2012
Positives:
amazing build quality
Heats up fast
Warms to set temperature to avoid boiling
Has hold button to keep tempurature

Negatives:
Once kettle is removed from base hold button is released, it should remain on for short time.
For pour over it should have goose neck spout.

1.0 out of 5 stars The viewing window and lid contain BPA, Jan. 9 2010
First, this kettle is gorgeous! I bought it for it's beauty and easy to use variable temperature and the fact it had a viewing window to easily see how much water was inside. Before I used it, I emailed Breville to find out what type of plastic the viewing window was made from. The response I received was a defensive email about how polycarbonate and BPA are safe for food contact and this kettle is safe. I've been reading the research on BPA and polycarbonate for years, so they didn't share anything new with me. I would have preferred their response to simply state "polycarbonate" and then offer to provide me with more information if I had any concerns.

Regardless, they weren't going to change my mind. I don't feel comfortable with polycarbonate around my boiling (or close to boiling) water and in this day and age where BPA is a huge uproar, I am super surprised that Breville came out with a brand new kettle containing polycarbonate. I would have loved to see this kettle have a glass viewing window and lid, that would have been super! Especially with the price point they are selling this at. Having it be a "toxin free" kettle with no plastic would have been a great marketing move.

I did reply and thank them for the information and politely told them I would be returning it due to the polycarbonate, but that if they came out with a version that had glass instead of polycarbonate, I'd snap it up in a second. I received no further reply from Breville.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kettle Stand Remains Hot Even When Not In Use, March 4 2012
The kettle features were what I hoped: individual temperature settings. However, the stand was very hot even when not in use. I contacted the Breville customer line. They told me that they were aware of this and advised me to always unplug the kettle when not in use. Unfortunately, I am not the only person using the kettle and so I will not use it for fire safety concerns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, Dec 16 2009
Alan W. Scobie (Ottawa, ON CAN) - See all my reviews
We have had this product for over 6 months now and are very happy with it. Why? It boils very quickly, temperature at all settings is very accurate (I tested it with highly accurate thermopen)and of course they are right about having separate temp's for different teas. They even have a unique plug that is easier to remove from the socket. Highly recommended.

Update: Over one year now and still very happy with this kettle. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, May 30 2013
Been using this non-stop since I got it. Makes a few concerning noises when it first starts to heat up, but no problems with it so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product!, April 15 2013
C. Ellis (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
My daughter and myself are experimenting with all types of teas. It is very convenient having the different temperature settings as having invested money in premium teas, this enables us to brew these teas for optimum flavour without burning them.

Although this kettle is a little more expensive than others, it is totally worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have loved it, but BPA in the viewing window, Feb. 6 2013
Dave R (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
As others have highlighted this has the potential to be a great kettle, but with the BPA in the viewing window, I feel it's unsafe for my family. I appreciate Breville in its honesty confirming previous reviewers' claims that is is true (it is), I would hope that they listen to the consumers and change the window to a safer material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 29 2014
This is a great kettle, well built, reasonable price.

Now i don't burn green tea! Tastes a lot better that way;)

5.0 out of 5 stars BREVILLE 1.8L KETTLE, May 9 2014
Works very well and it looks great, well designed. Once again, Bravo Breville for having another great product. I personally like the choice of temperature it offers.

Breville 1.8L Variable Temperature Kettle BKE820XL