5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!
This kettle is amazing. It is sleek and nice to look at, boils very quickly and I can finally have green tea that tastes refreshing and not over-cooked and bitter. You might not think variable temperatures are necessary but if you are a tea drinker you will notice a huge difference!
Published on Dec 17 2009 by Amy Stillar

1.0 out of 5 stars nice appliance but has Achilles heel
I would have given this item a rating of five stars but it doesn't work as of yesterday. To be fair it operated great until one of the screws inside the kettle, that holds the handle, popped off. Water now leaks out at the handle. I doubt I can fix it since the reason the screw popped out is that the housing that it threaded into sheared.

Other customers...
Published 12 months ago by B. Paulite

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, Dec 17 2009
Amy Stillar "Lanata" (North Bay, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville 1.8L Variable Temperature Kettle BKE820XL (Kitchen)

4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, Feb. 21 2012
Positives:
amazing build quality
Heats up fast
Warms to set temperature to avoid boiling
Has hold button to keep tempurature

Negatives:
Once kettle is removed from base hold button is released, it should remain on for short time.
For pour over it should have goose neck spout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise fantastic product for green tea's 75c target temperature - takes ..., Aug. 19 2014
Product plastic water level now states "BPA Free", in case someone else is wondering.
Otherwise fantastic product for green tea's 75c target temperature - takes out the guess work and/or thermometer!

1.0 out of 5 stars nice appliance but has Achilles heel, April 24 2014

Other customers experienced this failure, as well (see "dsiiatski" one star review). I feel sick having to put this otherwise fine appliance in the garbage. I'll try to contact Breville, but based I doubt I'll get better treatment than the other reviewers. If Breville steps up I'll post a five star review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breville Kettle, April 26 2012
Over the years, I have gone through quite a number of kettles, electric or no and quite frankly, the new Breville is ans will be hard to beat. Love the variable temperature ratings that take the guess work out of boiling and I am delighted with how quiet the product is. Thumbs up all the way !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars ecellent tea kettle...temperature selections are accurate, Oct. 21 2010
Abbotsford Flyers (Abbotsford, BC. Canada) - See all my reviews
Reviewed this Breville tea kettle thoroughly. It heats the water to the desired temperature as selected, quickly and quietly giving a beep when the desired temperature is attained. There is a safety feature that will not allow the kettle to boil if there is too little water.

This kettle is for tea! Should you desire a simple electric kettle there are many makes on the market. My wife, who does not like new gadgets thought this tea kettle was great. She is right handed and I am left, so the swivel works great for us, as well as seeing how much water you are putting into it. Two plastic inserts on both sides indicate the water level.

This goes great with a tea infuser and stove top timer. Simply decide how much tea you want, fill to desired level and select the type of tea or temperature and hit the start button. An additional feature which is nice is the hold button. It will keep the temperature at the selected temperature for 20 minutes. Naturally it reduces the boil selection to 209 degree instead of letting the water boil down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 28 2014
Glad to see that Breville has changed the plastic components of this kettle to a BPA-free material.

1.0 out of 5 stars The viewing window and lid contain BPA, Jan. 9 2010
First, this kettle is gorgeous! I bought it for it's beauty and easy to use variable temperature and the fact it had a viewing window to easily see how much water was inside. Before I used it, I emailed Breville to find out what type of plastic the viewing window was made from. The response I received was a defensive email about how polycarbonate and BPA are safe for food contact and this kettle is safe. I've been reading the research on BPA and polycarbonate for years, so they didn't share anything new with me. I would have preferred their response to simply state "polycarbonate" and then offer to provide me with more information if I had any concerns.

Regardless, they weren't going to change my mind. I don't feel comfortable with polycarbonate around my boiling (or close to boiling) water and in this day and age where BPA is a huge uproar, I am super surprised that Breville came out with a brand new kettle containing polycarbonate. I would have loved to see this kettle have a glass viewing window and lid, that would have been super! Especially with the price point they are selling this at. Having it be a "toxin free" kettle with no plastic would have been a great marketing move.

I did reply and thank them for the information and politely told them I would be returning it due to the polycarbonate, but that if they came out with a version that had glass instead of polycarbonate, I'd snap it up in a second. I received no further reply from Breville.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor design choice, breaks fast, July 20 2013
I've had this product for less than a year and it has already broken. While it was working it was a good kettle (not for its price) but it broke down pretty fast simply because they attached two screws to hold a plastic decorative cover under the handle. This cover serves no purpose and could have been attached by any other means which did not involve two screws going into the body which inevitably broke and the kettle began leaking.
Poor design choice makes this an awful kettle which will break quickly -- DO NOT BUY.

4.0 out of 5 stars My new best friend, May 3 2014
I was really reticent about spending that much money on a kettle and it seriously took me a year of shopping and reading reviews before deciding to get a variable temperature kettle. Now I wish I could have one at work as well. I'm somewhat of a tea addict and boiling the water at the right temp really does make a difference. Yes, I'm a little concerned about the BPA in the window, but it's nothing compared to the kettle I have to use at work, and I'm not quite ready to spend $200+ on a stovetop one.

I sometimes find that boiling water takes longer than it should, but it's still faster than boiling water in a pot using a thermometer. I thought there might be something wrong with it the first time I used it because it would stop boiling midway and then start again, stop, start....I'm still not used to it and I'll admit it annoys me on mornings where I'm running late.

I am not bothered by the noise it does when you first plug it in or when the water is ready. Yes, it's a little loud, but comparing it to a backing truck is a little much. I can barely hear it when I'm in another room, and I do like being warned that it's ready.

I wish the "keep warm" option would stay on a little longer but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Breville 1.8L Variable Temperature Kettle BKE820XL