5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!
This kettle is amazing. It is sleek and nice to look at, boils very quickly and I can finally have green tea that tastes refreshing and not over-cooked and bitter. You might not think variable temperatures are necessary but if you are a tea drinker you will notice a huge difference!
Published on Dec 17 2009 by Amy Stillar

1.0 out of 5 stars The viewing window and lid contain BPA
Published on Jan. 9 2010 by Mama G

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, Dec 17 2009
Amy Stillar "Lanata" (North Bay, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville 1.8L Variable Temperature Kettle BKE820XL (Kitchen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 28 2014
Glad to see that Breville has changed the plastic components of this kettle to a BPA-free material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breville Kettle, April 26 2012
Over the years, I have gone through quite a number of kettles, electric or no and quite frankly, the new Breville is ans will be hard to beat. Love the variable temperature ratings that take the guess work out of boiling and I am delighted with how quiet the product is. Thumbs up all the way !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, Feb. 21 2012
Positives:
amazing build quality
Heats up fast
Warms to set temperature to avoid boiling
Has hold button to keep tempurature

Negatives:
Once kettle is removed from base hold button is released, it should remain on for short time.
For pour over it should have goose neck spout.

1.0 out of 5 stars The viewing window and lid contain BPA, Jan. 9 2010
First, this kettle is gorgeous! I bought it for it's beauty and easy to use variable temperature and the fact it had a viewing window to easily see how much water was inside. Before I used it, I emailed Breville to find out what type of plastic the viewing window was made from. The response I received was a defensive email about how polycarbonate and BPA are safe for food contact and this kettle is safe. I've been reading the research on BPA and polycarbonate for years, so they didn't share anything new with me. I would have preferred their response to simply state "polycarbonate" and then offer to provide me with more information if I had any concerns.

Regardless, they weren't going to change my mind. I don't feel comfortable with polycarbonate around my boiling (or close to boiling) water and in this day and age where BPA is a huge uproar, I am super surprised that Breville came out with a brand new kettle containing polycarbonate. I would have loved to see this kettle have a glass viewing window and lid, that would have been super! Especially with the price point they are selling this at. Having it be a "toxin free" kettle with no plastic would have been a great marketing move.

I did reply and thank them for the information and politely told them I would be returning it due to the polycarbonate, but that if they came out with a version that had glass instead of polycarbonate, I'd snap it up in a second. I received no further reply from Breville.

5.0 out of 5 stars ecellent tea kettle...temperature selections are accurate, Oct. 21 2010
Abbotsford Flyers (Abbotsford, BC. Canada) - See all my reviews
Reviewed this Breville tea kettle thoroughly. It heats the water to the desired temperature as selected, quickly and quietly giving a beep when the desired temperature is attained. There is a safety feature that will not allow the kettle to boil if there is too little water.

This kettle is for tea! Should you desire a simple electric kettle there are many makes on the market. My wife, who does not like new gadgets thought this tea kettle was great. She is right handed and I am left, so the swivel works great for us, as well as seeing how much water you are putting into it. Two plastic inserts on both sides indicate the water level.

This goes great with a tea infuser and stove top timer. Simply decide how much tea you want, fill to desired level and select the type of tea or temperature and hit the start button. An additional feature which is nice is the hold button. It will keep the temperature at the selected temperature for 20 minutes. Naturally it reduces the boil selection to 209 degree instead of letting the water boil down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kettle Stand Remains Hot Even When Not In Use, March 4 2012
The kettle features were what I hoped: individual temperature settings. However, the stand was very hot even when not in use. I contacted the Breville customer line. They told me that they were aware of this and advised me to always unplug the kettle when not in use. Unfortunately, I am not the only person using the kettle and so I will not use it for fire safety concerns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise fantastic product for green tea's 75c target temperature - takes ..., Aug. 19 2014
Product plastic water level now states "BPA Free", in case someone else is wondering.
Otherwise fantastic product for green tea's 75c target temperature - takes out the guess work and/or thermometer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, Dec 16 2009
ASco (Ottawa, ON CAN) - See all my reviews
We have had this product for over 6 months now and are very happy with it. Why? It boils very quickly, temperature at all settings is very accurate (I tested it with highly accurate thermopen)and of course they are right about having separate temp's for different teas. They even have a unique plug that is easier to remove from the socket. Highly recommended.

Update: Over one year now and still very happy with this kettle. Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have loved it, but BPA in the viewing window, Feb. 6 2013
Dave R (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
As others have highlighted this has the potential to be a great kettle, but with the BPA in the viewing window, I feel it's unsafe for my family. I appreciate Breville in its honesty confirming previous reviewers' claims that is is true (it is), I would hope that they listen to the consumers and change the window to a safer material.

Breville 1.8L Variable Temperature Kettle BKE820XL