Top critical review
16 of 17 people found this helpful
Very disappointed !!
on May 23, 2010
I purchased a Garmin GPS a few years ago and it was very satisfactory. After a year or so, the battery crashed but no problem....it worked off the cigarette lighter in the truck. In 2009, I decided to upgrade my maps and purchased Map Update 2009. The update worked very well in the U.S. BUT it has distorted all roads so it looks like I'm driving off the road, and not on it.
Christmas 2009, I received a Garmin Nuvi from my wife. It has been a huge disappointment !! I have a long list of problems from it, including:
1. It takes too long to reactivate after being shut off.
2. It cannot find many addresses that we put in.
3. In Winnipeg, it could not find restaurants such as Olive Garden and the Keg or sporting good stores such as Cabela's.
4. In Great Falls MT, it had us turn the opposite direction for the Comfort Inn.
5. It could not find Cabela's in Spokane WA....a store that has been there for 5 years.
6. We were driving on a major divided freeway which did not show up at all on the GPS.
7. Poor volume control and mournful voice giving directions !!
Presently, I have set the new machine aside and put a private mapping software system in my old machine which brings back in line all western Canadian roads.
I wish Garmin would take a hard look at the accuracy and usability of their new Garmins.