4.0 out of 5 stars Nice debut album
Any DCD fan will want this album even if it's, I my opinion, not their best. It's also not everyone's cup of tea since it's hard to pinpoint the genre. A bit new age, folk with electronica that sounds like ancient musical instruments.
Published 3 months ago by Pierre Coach

1.0 out of 5 stars A big Mistake
I order a lot of Ambient Gendre type music. Ordered 3 CD's on the recommendation of a work mate and fellow Ambient Music lover as,'this is the best music I'e heard in some time'
Normally I have had good recommendations from this personal source and have had great success with ordering through Amazon

C.D.'s arrive;
The CD's are Gothic in nature. Poor...
Published on Sept. 18 2009 by Bernie G. Dovell

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice debut album, April 12 2014
Pierre Coach (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Can Dance/ Garden Of The Arcane Delights (remastered) (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A place where New Wave punk meets Etnic vibrations, March 4 2004
While this great duo is most known for an upgraded mixture of traditional sounds from all around the world with a bit of electronic,the self-titled debut shows all where from it came...Dead Can dance in the early eighties was an young and ambitious group with an idea of taking new wave Joy Division styled music up to higher level of art and making something fresh out of something popular at the time.
Duo on this album sounds in some moments like on "Spleen and ideal" or "Aion".The sound is mostly dominated by Brandon Perry's noisy guitar,drum machine and expressive bass riffs (a bit in peter Hook's style)."Frontier","Arcane","fatal impact" or "Threshold" define the early band's sound.Brandon's a bit distant vocals are followed by the spooky Lisa Gerrard's soprano.i believe that "Ocean" is one of the most haunting and scary tracks in history.Turn of the light and listen to it loud.i am sure that you will be scared when hte creepy Lisa's vocal will be coming straight to your ear...It is funny because even with the use of few instruments like Bass,drums and bass Dead Can Dance sounds like Dead Can Dance.4 last tracks are taken from the ep "garden of the arcane delights" - they sound much more essential,but i must say that i was not dissapointed by any track from here.
If you like dark new wave music or gothic you must listen to it.there are only few albums that will make you look nervously around searching some monsters or withches while listening it.It's creepy and beautifully haunting music.Highly recomended

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS CD NOW!!!, Nov. 8 2003
Steph (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
A year and a half ago, I bought this CD. This was the first Dead Can Dance album I ever bought. I had to listen to it a couple of times to really get to appreciate it, but I have been absolutely in love with it ever since then. I have every one of DCD's albums, but this one is by far the greatest, in my opinion. I keep experimenting with other songs, other bands, and other genres, but I keep coming back to this CD. I recommend it with all my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars NEATO, jungle, Oct. 22 2003
before they got self conscious and smarty they were good, it as if they stumbled upon a golden chest in the middle of the woods and opened it and were bathed in light and transformed to an imaginary spot ,deep within theri minds ;which like a voice ,they played too... with all of their conviction and innocense with unschooled un self consciousness...EARNEStNess! the tunes speak too like a collective conscioussness ,like reading HEART OF DARKNESS, THIS IS MUSIC TO TURN THE LIGHT OFF , ALMOST too hypnotic in a inexplicable vigorous good way, unlike TECHNO AMBIENCE, this is like primal genuine and its insistence in getting under ones skin is SHAMANISM perssonified.

1.0 out of 5 stars A big Mistake, Sept. 18 2009
Bernie G. Dovell (Victoria B.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Can Dance (Ltd Ed) (Audio CD)

C.D.'s arrive;
The CD's are Gothic in nature. Poor quality productions.
Sounded like a bunch of school kids making this music.

Whoops, guess I just don't get it.

Let's try again
$66.00 mistake, any Goth's out there that want some "Dead Can Dance" cheap?