4.0 out of 5 stars The kind of CD you "experience."
Published on March 17 2004 by Tim Brough

3.0 out of 5 stars The jury is still out...
That's only my opinion, music like any other form of art is a matter of taste. I'm a fan of DCD and I find that this album is quite different from the others. I only listened to it twice though, so I'll give it a bit more time, although I must point out that it was ''love at first listen'' for most of their other albums. Again my two cents.
Published 21 months ago by Pierre Coach

4.0 out of 5 stars The kind of CD you "experience.", March 17 2004
Tim Brough "author and music buff" (Springfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spiritchaser (Audio CD)
Blending a seamless mix of Native American and African styles of music into their synthetic brew, the final album from Dead Can Dance is also their must fully actualized. Not for casual background listening or mentally agitated states, "Spiritchaser" has filled my days at times when I've needed to sit back (or lay down) and reconnect with life and a more peaceful point of consciousness.
"Spiritchaser" is also a very earthy, sexual CD for me. As the liner notes state, there is a belief that organic instruments, made from living creatures, then contain part of the soul of the creature and make each instrument the voice of the soul from which it was created. That kind of reverence permeates the eight songs on "Spiritchaser," where the sounds and the voices seem to manage to seep into the listener's essence, touching hearts as gently as they touch minds. (Although you have to smile as the song "Indus" gracefully references George Harrison's "Within You Without You.") To close, "Spiritchaser" is the kind of CD you listen to when you wish to have an environment that surrounds and envelops you.
PS. I will heartily recommend this CD to fans of Delerium, Deep Forest and earlier Enigma, even though they are only marginally related.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vastly underrated, and in retrospect a fitting swan song, June 14 2003
"unused_nickname" (Shoreline, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spiritchaser (Audio CD)
The truth about Spiritchaser is that is the album after the live Toward the Within, which captured the band in their most ideal settings. The leanings toward Native American rhythms and simpler melodies stripped away what had become somewhat of a "mystique", and on initial listen there wasn't anything outside "Song of the Stars" that did anything for me.
But this is a fine album all the way through. Other than what had become some obligatory "attempt" at single (in this case, "Song of the Dispossessed") this album shows the two main members working together more than ever. Besides the aforementioned "Song of the Stars", "Nierika" and "Song of the Nile" are sublimely brilliant. There is not a bad song on the album, and while it is true that nothing really pushed the envelope, nothing was half-heartedly done either. And Lisa Gerrard proved yet again her hold over listeners with the closing track, "Devorzhum" which would have been at home on most of the previous releases.
It ends up now as more of a coda than a final chorus, or perhaps the "Her Majesty" to Toward the Within's "The End", but here Dead Can Dance were still able to transport the listener to another place.
It's too bad "The Lotus Eaters", which sounds like it was recorded around this time period, did not end up on this album. But if you bought it and still don't like it, you can be comforted by this: the abominable and far-too-long "Sambataki" didn't make it on here either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirit, Oct. 16 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Spiritchaser (Audio CD)
I really love this album, I have all DCD albums, except the Box Set. From all the albums of DCD I think this one is quite moodly, my favourite songs are: Song of the Stars, Nierika, Dedicacé Outó, Indus and Devorzhum, I think songs like Song of the Disposessed and The Snake and the Moon are another kind of music, not DCD, I don't like these too much, but I can listen to them without getting bored. When I listen to Song of the Stars I fall in a deep dream, I can imagine a tribal dance, some aborigens dancing to the stars and the moon, and I can imagine it's raining. This is my favourite song of DCD I really like the words said by Brendan Perry and the angelical voice of Lisa Gerrard. Great album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirit bringer, Jan. 29 2004
This review is from: Spiritchaser (Audio CD)
Dead can dance always knew how to make specific dark music coming straight out of the darkest parts of the mind."Spiritcahser",their last studio album brings us hte atmosphere of middle-east,some ancient civilizations but also 19-century spain and some other places.Brendan Perry,the brain of band plays on a lot of intrumets but also he colours it with a bit of electronic sounds.Lisa Gerrard's voice gently flows over the music...
this poetical and wonderfull mjsuic is best to listen in the dark,when you will relax yourself and prepare to take yuorself away in a distant journey...listen and lets your mind flow.get "spiritchaser" now!

5.0 out of 5 stars tribal, rhythmic, July 17 2013
This review is from: Spiritchaser (Remastered) (Audio CD)
my favourite DCD doesnt reach the peaks of some of their previous work but is consistenly engaging throughout bearing repeated listening reveals new-ances each time

5.0 out of 5 stars Indus - My Favorite Song Now, May 22 2004
This review is from: Spiritchaser (Audio CD)
Very relaxing music, almost supernatural. Unlike anything else.

3.0 out of 5 stars The jury is still out..., Feb. 6 2013
Pierre Coach (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spiritchaser (Remastered) (Audio CD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not big deal...just noise, March 10 2004
Luis Ortiz (Guadalajara, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spiritchaser (Audio CD)
YES, the voice of Lisa Gerrard is beautiful BUT can't be appreciated in this boring disc. Some sounds and nice, but the way in which they mixed them.....It's just noise. They tried to make an "ethnic" disc but they failed. I repet by buying this disc.
Luis

Spiritchaser (Remastered)
Spiritchaser (Remastered) by Dead Can Dance (Audio CD - 2008)
Click for more info