5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Teen Tv Show
Published on Sept. 28 2009 by R. Ramos

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Playlist...
This series is great, it really is.
The characters are well written and acted, the story lines are compelling but not drawn out as is typical for teen drama (only lasting two volumes per generation) but one of the best compliments was the soundtrack and these dvds have been forced to replace allot of the most memorable moments.
Published 5 months ago by K. J. McCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Teen Tv Show, Sept. 28 2009
Ce commentaire est de: Skins, Vol. 1 (DVD)
I'm pretty sure no one will regret watching this show. This is probably one of the most unique and fun tv show about, teenage struggle in our generation, that I've ever watched. Everything about this show is pretty much one hell of a roller coaster ride, it's like being on a drug trip everytime I watch an episode, and it had me craving for more. All of the characters are very believable, and each unquestionably left an impression on me. This first season, I felt like I met new friends just by watching the characters progress in the series. Each episode tells a story about one of the characters, it's almost as if you're experiencing their life with them. I feel like I'm part of the group that these quirky characters bond. Sometimes it's incredibly sad, sometimes it's incredibly wierd, sometimes it's just plain out loud hilarious, and sometimes it's just stunning. I love the soundtrack they have for this show also, like Sigur Ros, The Hives, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, DJ Shadow, and even a version of Cat Steven's Wild World.
Definitely, anyone who watches this show will learn a thing or two, unless you're not an open minded person who completely abhors drugs sex and partying, then maybe it's not for you. But is there not underneath everyone's skin, a little wild child waiting to come out?

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't even wait until it came to Canada, Jan. 8 2009
Ce commentaire est de: Skins, Vol. 1 (DVD)
This show is amazing, how to even begin to describe it. It is kind of like HBO version of Degrassi but way better. I couldn't wait for it to be released into Canada so I bought the British region version and have been watching it on my computer. You won't regret this purchase

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Playlist..., May 24 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Skins, Vol. 1 (DVD)
This series is great, it really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still love it!, May 19 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Skins, Vol. 1 (DVD)
Watched this when I was in high school. One of the reasons why I love and watch so much british t.v. to this day.
Even my neighbor whose well into her 50's enjoyed the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 30 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Skins, Vol. 1 (DVD)
One of the best teen dramas out there, and the only on pushing the limits on what can be shown on tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this show!, Sept. 6 2013
Heather A. Nicholson (Winnipeg, MB, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Skins, Vol. 1 (DVD)
The delivery wasn't that fast, but it was delivered within the time frame. The DVD was in perfect condition and the show was just as shown on tv, though I noticed in the season finale the song they all sing together was cut out. The return policy for defective items isn't that good though (one of the discs skipped), you have to send the item back which can take over 3 weeks to get a credit back, and they don't send you a new one. You just have to place a separate order for the new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST BBC shows ever!, Jan. 3 2012
V. Buttino (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Ce commentaire est de: Skins, Vol. 1 (DVD)
This show is REAL. It's scary. It's gritty. It's dirty. It's life.

There are no excuses and there is nothing left out. No filler at all like most teen shows. Bravo to the BBC for being this brave and making a show like this one. Oftentimes, TV networks cower at the site of a controversial program and yank them from their time slots for fear of seeming too liberal and un-safe with their chosen line-up.

People NEED to see this show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Degrassi gone wild, which is a good thing, July 11 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Skins, Vol. 1 (DVD)
I first heard of Skins while reading a biography of Dev Patel, the guy from Slumdog Millionaire. Danny Boyle's daughter was a fan of Skins and she recommended Patel for his movie...

Skins tells the life of a group of teenagers living in Bristol, UK. Nothing much happening there, except their personal lives. Each episode focuses on one character and is named after him/her.

It is much more relatable than Degrassi or Ramdam (for Quebec residents). There is not always a happy ending (Cue to Ramdam: "I'm sorry I borrowed your mp3 player without asking you" "It's ok, I forgive you. You're so my BFF!") and nobody is the biggest Drama Queen/King while being happy go-lucky at the same time (Hi Degrassi).

All the classic teenage issues are there and are not presented in a Disney format: Drug use (a lot), drinking (bis), homosexuality, bisexuality, eating disorders, pregnancy, promiscuity, etc. In all episodes, however, there is one central problem: Family. Most characters have problems within their own family unit, which brings me to the things about Skins that makes it SO much better than other teenage shows. (1) The realism. Nobody is faking happiness because they have to (Saying "I'm fine" five billion times per episode ain't happenin'). They know their lives are difficult and they do not over-dramatize everything. Bye bye Disney! (2) The actors are actual teenagers. After 2 Seasons, there is a new cast. Always. The show is now featuring their Third cast, I think.

Conclusion: If you want a REALISTIC teenage show, forget Degrassi and switch to Skins (but STOP at the finale of Season 2, or you will regret it). I am an adult and I love Skins. Even "professional" critics will agree. Look it up: the First Cast has won a few awards.

PS. I am not a parent. However, if I were one and was worried my child would watch this show, I would watch it with him/her and try to have some discussions about it. What he/she thinks? How does he/she feels about certain situations? We have all been teenagers and we know it's hard. Skins will them feel more normal and than all the other Disney format teenage shows. It is more hardcore than Degrassi, but I think it is worth it.

Skins, Vol. 1
Skins, Vol. 1 by Various (DVD - 2009)
CDN$ 49.98 CDN$ 34.83