Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: Audio CDChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on February 28, 2009
Let me start by saying that I feel the best rock bands have come from the U.K. (I'm from Canada). Also Chris Martin's voice is I believe one of the most instantly recognizable voices upon hearing a Coldplay song immediately. He has the must luscious recordable voice in keeping as well Thom Yorke of Radiohead.
However, having said that I still have to say that the last 2 Coldplay CD's I feel have fallen short of potential greatness. Are they worth buying still; absolutely. Will you have them in your collection for a lifetime; for sure. Will their music stand the test of time; without a doubt.
But here is where I feel Coldplay (or I should say their producers) are falling off track. On some of the songs e.g. 42; the song starts off with such a spellbinding vocal performance by Chris Martin & then over halfway through the is lessoned by throwing in bland rock instrumentation which I think totally diminishes the beautiful beginning of the song.
Please guys if your going to do a rock song....then do a rock song....if your going to do a ballad (& brilliant ones at that) then do the ballad; but don't mix the 2 together!!!
I really think this could have been a really historically memorable (& it still will on a different level) CD on a much higher level had they not woven the 2 styles of music together.
That is what made "Parachutes" & " A Rush of Blood to the Head" so amazingly fantastic CD's. I wish the good old boys from Brit would go back to this way when mixing, producing & colaborrating for their CD's because those 2 CD's I think will go down in history along with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or Radiohead's The Bends as being the best rock CD's written.
Both Lost versions on Viva La Vida or Prospekt's March are excellent; as is the intro for 42, Reign of Love is gorgeous(but we could have done without having to listen to Lovers In Japan first; hate it when they put 2 songs together), Yes is I think the most Chris Martin has challenged his gifted vocal abilities here using a much lower deeper vocal range one that he should use more often as it was an amazing vocal on this track, Violet Hill is great rock song, Strawberry Swing-nice little ditty. On Prospekt's March; Postcards from Far Away is lovely, Prospekt's March/Poppyfields is really great; Lost+ (with Jay-Z) excellent (although I thought their collaboration on the Grammy's was better than this recorded version) & Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground is awesome.
As always their lyrics & Chris's voice are 10+; can't say with the exception of the above songs that I liked the musical arrangements of the others songs & many of the "string" arrangements that they did use I think could have been used more effectively in a different way throughout this CD making it even more groundbreaking.
For anyone buying Coldplay for the 1st time; then buy Parachutes or A Rush of Blood to the Head first.....then move to this CD or X&Y because you will have a much better appreciation then for why Coldplay is so respected by fans, peers or commentators of their music.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2009
I found both albums really good. Neither to the caliber of "A rush of Blood". But nevertheless decent albums on their own. Especially good were the remixes on "Prospekts March".
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse