Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Pixar did it again!
The Movie Itself:
Published on Nov. 10 2009 by Toast

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite as good as i had hoped
this was a fairly enjoyable animated film from Disney/Pixar.there's
some funny moments here and there.it's touching without being too
maudlin or sentimental.there certainly is a fair amount of action as
well.the story is also good.there a few scenes of minor peril which
might be a bit too much for younger children,and the movie fleetingly
touches...
Published on Jan. 6 2010 by falcon

5.0 out of 5 stars Pixar did it again!, Nov. 10 2009
Toast (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
The Movie Itself:
When I first watched this movie in theaters, I was thrilled. It was a movie meant for everyone. The novelistic first quarter, with Carl Fredericksen & the love of his life, Ellie, their fantasized story made us adults cry. The next two quarters were intriguing and kept pace with adults and kids like, made us laugh in way only Pixar can, and set us up for an ending that was perhaps most suited for kids but was satisfying for all generations. Pixar has a track record that is unparalleled by any other studio. With "Up" they have proven to us once again that there is more left in their tank to surprise us with.

The Video:
Pixar Home Videos are reference quality discs and this one is also perfect. The MPEG4 AVC 1080p transfer in 1.78:1 aspect ratio is breathtaking. Colours are spectacular, flesh tones are natural, blacks and whites are vibrant, the motion and detail is extraordinary and leaps out of the screen. Okay I have run out of words so I hope you all get the idea.

The Audio:
As impressive as the video is the DTS HDMA 5.1 track. You can actually feel the atmosphere through the speakers. The control of the channels is perhaps the best I can recall in recent memory. Heck I could even feel the wind blowing through the house when its lifted up in the air. The balloons rubbing against each other and the briefest of sounds were clear. It really is a treat and its one of those few times when my surround sound investment seems to be worthwhile.

Final Words:
Up has it all, its perhaps the best release of the year if considered as package. Its presentation is second to none and its a movie that can be enjoyed by kids of all ages including some of us who think they are too old for everything. I hope everyone picks it up and enjoys it for years to come. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie!, July 27 2013
3d is awesome on my Panasonic Viera tv this is one good for the collection I will watch it once a year maybe kinda a sad movie at the beginning though.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful movie, May 23 2013
Great movie for all ages. I actually bought it twice because I gave my first copy to someone so they could enjoy it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars UP in Spirits, May 12 2013
This review is from: Up (DVD)
Beautiful love story. Lovingly told with love and humour. Highly recommended. I predict this will be a classic for all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Considerably Better Than I Expected, April 19 2014
Theo (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Up (DVD)
I wouldn't quite call this animation for adults. But I would say that as kids' movies go, this is one of the better ones. One of the ones that a grown-up can watch without ever being tempted to reach for the remote to see what else is on.

Beneath a predictable but nevertheless fairly well executed adventure, this story tells the tale of how its protagonists come to terms with their own inner pain, and move on to embrace what life yet has to offer them. In this it's hardly unique: let's face it, the same could be said of virtually everything Hollywood produces.

What makes this movie is how well it achieves this. I wouldn't exactly call it deft or subtle. It's more that there's a certain realness to the emotional subtext. A willingness to shy away from answers that are a little too pat or glib.

Like everything Pixar makes it is served up with a certain amount of treacle. But there's also enough that's real to ensure we don't all walk away with diabetes.

Theo.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cute Movie, Jan. 31 2014
This review is from: Up (DVD)
I think the movie was well done. I know I shall be watching it again & again. And there is a good message for younger children

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you would expect., Jan. 23 2014
Bought it as a Christmas gift. It arrived quickly, and there is a beautiful sleeve around the cover. Such a fantastic movie as well, wonderful for all ages, genders and tastes. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, Dec 24 2013
this is by far my most favorite Disney pixar movie! one of the best stories and while a little out there it really touchs the heart. Has more true love in the first 5 minutes of movie play then twilight has in the entire series! hahaha

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie!, Nov. 25 2013
Appropriate for children, great storyline, and a fantastic addition to our disney collection. Love the lesson about treating others with respect, regardless of age too :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT, Sept. 14 2013
Honestly this is the cutest movie I've ever seen in my life.
It's definitely a must-see; I promise you'll love it
Good quality too!

ARRAY(0xb5357390)

Up
Up by Co-Directed By Bob Peterson (DVD - 2009)
CDN$ 35.99 CDN$ 27.99