Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Pixar did it again!
The Movie Itself:
Published on Nov. 10 2009 by Toast

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite as good as i had hoped
this was a fairly enjoyable animated film from Disney/Pixar.there's
some funny moments here and there.it's touching without being too
maudlin or sentimental.there certainly is a fair amount of action as
well.the story is also good.there a few scenes of minor peril which
might be a bit too much for younger children,and the movie fleetingly
touches...
Published on Jan. 6 2010 by falcon

5.0 out of 5 stars Pixar did it again!, Nov. 10 2009
Toast (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
The Movie Itself:
When I first watched this movie in theaters, I was thrilled. It was a movie meant for everyone. The novelistic first quarter, with Carl Fredericksen & the love of his life, Ellie, their fantasized story made us adults cry. The next two quarters were intriguing and kept pace with adults and kids like, made us laugh in way only Pixar can, and set us up for an ending that was perhaps most suited for kids but was satisfying for all generations. Pixar has a track record that is unparalleled by any other studio. With "Up" they have proven to us once again that there is more left in their tank to surprise us with.

The Video:
Pixar Home Videos are reference quality discs and this one is also perfect. The MPEG4 AVC 1080p transfer in 1.78:1 aspect ratio is breathtaking. Colours are spectacular, flesh tones are natural, blacks and whites are vibrant, the motion and detail is extraordinary and leaps out of the screen. Okay I have run out of words so I hope you all get the idea.

The Audio:
As impressive as the video is the DTS HDMA 5.1 track. You can actually feel the atmosphere through the speakers. The control of the channels is perhaps the best I can recall in recent memory. Heck I could even feel the wind blowing through the house when its lifted up in the air. The balloons rubbing against each other and the briefest of sounds were clear. It really is a treat and its one of those few times when my surround sound investment seems to be worthwhile.

Final Words:
Up has it all, its perhaps the best release of the year if considered as package. Its presentation is second to none and its a movie that can be enjoyed by kids of all ages including some of us who think they are too old for everything. I hope everyone picks it up and enjoys it for years to come. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The spirit of adventure, July 23 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I was surprised to find that this film goes beyond animation in its design execution and even its visuals.

We see Carl Frederickson (voice of Edward Asner) spending his life planning a great adventure. His boyhood girlfriend Ellie shares his dream, they grow old together, and many local adventures drain the big adventure funds of money and time. Soon Carl finds he is alone in an alien world and makes an effort to fulfill his and his late wife's dream.

The story gets a little more complicated as he finds an unexpected stowaway and new friends. Soon he is forced to realize what is important in life and finds that he has already fulfilled, Ellie's new adventures by living a lifetime together.

There is so much depth of thought and dimension of story that you could forget it is animated.

I only saw the Blu-ray version and there are more than enough extras and adjustments you can make. Luckily, you can ignore all this extra stuff and just play the movie if you like

99 Luftballons

5.0 out of 5 stars SQUIRREL!, May 16 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Up (DVD)
Someday, Pixar is going to do it -- they're going to create an emotionally uninspiring, lackluster animated movie.

But in the meantime, they're still putting out delightful for-all-ages animated movies like "Up," which defies the usual kid-movie conventions by starring a crotchety seventysomething old man. It's a charming, fun little adventure story with flying dogs and balloon-powered houses, but underlying it is a bittersweet little message about not letting the present be bogged down by the past.

As a child, the shy Carl Fredricksen bonded with the oddball Ellie over their shared love of adventure, the explorer Charles Muntz, and Paradise Falls. They later married, move into their "clubhouse" together, and lived a long but sadly childless life together -- and when Ellie died, she had never fulfilled her dream of going to Paradise Falls.

Now crotchety, alone and harassed by a real estate developer, Carl (Ed Asner) is finally ordered to a retirement home. But he isn't about to go quietly -- instead he attaches thousands of balloons to his house and floats it away in the general direction of South America. But he accidentally takes an enthusiastic, naive Wilderness Explorer (a thinly-veiled Boy Scout) named Russell (Jordan Nagai) along for the ride. Poor kid was just trying to earn an "assisting the elderly" badge.

But the jungle trek to Paradise Falls turns out to have some surprising obstacles: a big emulike bird that Russell names Kevin, a talking dog named Dug ("I am jumping on you, bird!"), and a mysterious old man who lives deep in the heart of the jungle. Turns out the old guy is very familiar to Carl -- and to capture Kevin, he's willing to sacrifice Carl and Russell.

Industry experts were babbling about how "Up" wouldn't be as popular as the previous Pixar movies, because the protagonist is basically a crusty old coot. Well, that shows what they know. It ended up becoming one of those classic movies that somehow appeals to all ages -- while the humor and action appeal to children, adults can appreciate Carl's love for his lost wife, and his slow realization that he's clinging to the past.

In fact, the first ten minutes are some of the most heart-tugging, quietly bittersweet scenes I've seen in a long time. Without a word, they show all the ups and downs of a realistic marriage -- joys, sorrows (Ellie's inability to have children), growing old together, and finally loss.

But it's not a depressing movie by any stretch -- in fact, it's like a childhood fantasy come to life, complete with a floating house suspended on hundreds of balloons, and biplanes piloted by a talking dog army.. Plenty of great dialogue ("Do you want to play a game? It's called See Who Can Go the Longest Without Saying Anything." "Cool! My mom loves that game!") and an action-packed climax in an aged airship.

Ed Asner is absolutely perfect as the ubergrouch Carl -- crotchety, grumpy, and determined to fulfill his beloved wife's lifelong dream, but gradually realizing that what he's really clinging to is his past. Jordan Nagai is equally perfect as Carl's polar opposite: a naive, sweetly chattery Wilderness Scout who is determined to reunite Kevin with her baby chicks. He's really just a sweetie-pie.

And the utterly adorable Dug and the other dogs deserve special notice. These creatures are utterly hilarious -- they talk ("I hid under your porch because I love you") and act ("Scream all you want, small mailman!") the way dogs would if they talked. Three words: cone of shame.

"Up" continues Pixar's running tally of gloriously animated, emotionally layered movies that the entire family can enjoy. With that, I have only one more thing to say... SQUIRREL!

5.0 out of 5 stars A movie for the whole family, Jan. 24 2010
BookChick (Simcoe, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's been a while since I've watched a movie with the family that was really the whole package. "Up" is certainly worth watching.

The background story is about lifelong love between a man and a woman. Budding adventurers Carl and Ellie meet as children. They fall in love and marry and when Ellie passes away Carl realizes that he never took her to Paradise Falls, South America as they had dreamed of doing. When Carl finds out that he is being sent to a retirement home, he rigs thousands of helium balloons to his house and sets out to give Ellie this one last gift. It's not long before he finds a stowaway, Russell, an earnest little boy and the son of a single mother, and at that point it is too late to turn back so he's stuck with him.

Carl and Russell manage to land themselves in Paradise Falls and along with their new friends Kevin (a rare exotic bird and a new mother) and Dug (a dog who talks) set out on the adventure of a lifetime.

This movie was hilarious yet sentimental and as a family we laughed and "awwwww'd" the entire way through. A must-have addition to your kid's movie collection, although it may be the adults who watch it over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable again & again, for all ages, Dec 7 2009
M. Walks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up (DVD)
I am always apprehensive when it comes to films for kids. Will there be violence or jokes that aren't appropriate?

But this one is just enjoyable over and over again - as that is how often my 2-year old son wants to see this movie. And I willingly play it for him, myself, and my partner. We all love it - which can't be said of many movies - plus I don't find it offensive or violent. The voices aren't irritating, and there isn't any underlying theme that I am uncomfortable with, for myself or my son.

This movie is like no other I have seen - in terms of storyline, and the amount that it is heartwarming while at the same time (if you really need to 'think' in your movies) it critiques our current society.
We get to sit, laugh, smile, and talk about the film together. While I wouldn't normally say movie time is family time, this provides both.

If you enjoy Happy Feet and Finding Nemo, you are very likely to love this film too!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Feb. 3 2010
Mariyah (Ottawa, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up (DVD)
Great movie. My 3yr old daughter loves watching it and I don't mind seeing it over and over. So cute, a little sad, so funny and all the characters are hilarious. You'll love Russell the little boy and what a great choice to pick Ed Asner for the voice of Carl. A great movie for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie!, July 27 2013
3d is awesome on my Panasonic Viera tv this is one good for the collection I will watch it once a year maybe kinda a sad movie at the beginning though.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful movie, May 23 2013
Great movie for all ages. I actually bought it twice because I gave my first copy to someone so they could enjoy it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars UP in Spirits, May 12 2013
This review is from: Up (DVD)
Beautiful love story. Lovingly told with love and humour. Highly recommended. I predict this will be a classic for all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie!, Dec 16 2010
This review is from: Up (DVD)
This is my Christmas present to myself! Pixar's Up has been one of my favorites for this year, and it's going under my Christmas tree! :) Too cute of a movie not to buy, and the price was awesome. Yea, the movie itself has a sad part, but it's no "Bambi." I wouldn't be worried showing this movie to all my "under the age of 5" neices and nephews... plus, they already all own it! Great movie!!!

(Quality is good too, yes I watched it before I wrapped it.)

Up
Up by Co-Directed By Bob Peterson (DVD - 2009)
CDN$ 35.99 CDN$ 27.99