march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: DVD|Change

on November 21, 2010
I am not Canadian but purchased Passchendaele for my husband who enjoys war movies and has some experience with war. We watched it on Veteran's Day, which has special meaning to him since he served in the U.S. Air Force. My husband is notorious for falling asleep during every movie that we watch. He stayed awake throughout Passchendaele. That is the highest form of praise that I can give.

The film points out the difference between what people think at home and what happens during war. People make assumptions and think they know what is really going on at the war front but, in truth, they have no way of knowing unless they are there.

After the film ended, my husband couldn't speak because the movie hit an emotional cord with him. You can nitpick one scene or another but a movie that pulls at your emotions is well worth getting.
on November 11, 2013
It is really hard to believe so many are panning what I consider a great movie,great entertainment and what is wrong with having a love story in a movie anyway? Battle scenes are very well done and while we can never see how horrible war is unless we have been in one I still think this movie sends a message to the viewer.Nothing wrong with directing either in mho.There are a lot of documentaries on our wars that are better at explaining such and that is where one needs to go for a history lesson.Meanwhile watch the movie Passchendaele,you won't be disappointed.Ivan.
on February 24, 2009
I saw this movie at my local theater on Remembrance Day 2008 and loved it. I am not one for love stories and, being a self-proclaimed history buff, I was going to see it out of curiosity.

I love Paul Gross. He is an amazing representative of Canada. He writes, directs and stars in projects that promote Canada. He is a national treasure.

Now, on with the review. The first review on this site about the film was not favorable as the reviewer was looking for something more historically accurate. This is not a documentary. It is Mr.Gross' attempt at getting the Canadian movie goer interested in the battle of Passchendaele. Write a movie with a love story, insert battle scenes that will have us squirming in our seats and then insert some Canadian pride and BAM! People are looking into what was the battle, who fought, what happened, etc. Many of my friends, who abhor History, were looking on Wikipedia and Googling info on Passchendaele. Mr.Gross never said that this was going to be a documentary. He was telling a story. And did he ever!

The movie had some comedy, some romance, lots of action and amazing scenery. The costumes and dialogue really fit. All the characters in the film seemed very real. All the stories meshed together in the end as a whole. There was no plot point left unfinished. The battles were brutal, the explosions and wounds made me ache. I am not ashamed to say that I cried at the end of this movie not because of the love story but because of the thought of all the men who fought and died on the battle field during this battle, WWI and WWII. And to think that Canadian Men and Women are out in Afghanistan fighting and dying...

Films like this are made to commemorate their sacrifices.

Every Canadian should see this film. Support your Canadian Film Industry and tell them that projects like this that tell OUR story, OUR History, deserve to be told. OUR History as a people needs to be up on that big screen just as much as the next U.S. war movie. Canadians have many stories to tell, not just war stories or hockey stories. Not just French and English. Our wonderful country deserves to tell its various stories on film! Canada has cultural diversity. Let's get those stories out there!

I bought this movie and watched it on Flag Day (Feb.15/09) with my friends along with other Canadian films and had a Flag Day Film Fest. I know I will be watching this again on Remembrance Day (Nov.11), Canada Day (July 1st) and Flag Day (Feb.15) for years to come!

To our American neighbors, see this film if you are curious about Canada's role in WWI. It might surprise you.

Buy it. Rent it. Borrow it from a friend. Whatever. Just SEE IT!
on May 29, 2013
Being a movie collector I am very fussy which I order usually from seeing previews. I enjoy watching the many hours of entertainment.
on May 26, 2014
I think any Canadian interested in our efforts during World War 1 would enjoy this movie. Paul Gross, wrote about his
grandfather's story and he gives us depictions of the home front in 1914-1918 as well as the horrific battles and terrible
conditions soldiers on both sides faced. The views of Western Canada were stunning and the recreation of the trenches and battlefields were horrifying.
on February 4, 2016
I originally purchased this Movie for my father, who is very interested in "all things Military" and/or related to WWII. He thought, at the time he mentioned the movie to me, that it would be more of a "Documentary" in nature as opposed to the "Hollywood-ized" story portrayed in Passchendaele.
While the end result depicted on this DVD was certainly well done, with authentic battle scenes and depiction of military life, etc., it did not meet our original expectations (that is more our failing than the movie's).
If you have a passing interest in the story of Passchendaele and the events surrounding Canada's involvement in the battle, then I believe you'd enjoy this movie. However, if you're looking for something along the lines of a Documentary detailing the Passchendaele battle, then I would suggest looking specifically for something that fits that description.
on November 5, 2013
great acting by Paul Gross and script play of an event in Canadian at war history that truly brought the Canadian soldier into international focus as being determined and courageous....very graphic combat scenes and the ending leaves one with a feeling of loss and disappointment
on November 28, 2013
Based on the true story of the actors grandfather. In fact this multi-talented Due South Mountie wrote the story on which the movie is based and it's a great read also.
on December 5, 2011
I took my Dad to see this movie and use it to teach Canadian History. The lovemaking scenes are unnecessary and the first hour drags on, but the battle scenes and the historical accuracy of the film make it a valuable learning exercise. Two thumbs up!
on December 19, 2012
Paul Ross was able to bring this unfortunatly, unknown part of Canadian history to life in this romantic and historical movie. It'a a great movie. I enjoy the fact that it took place both on the Canadian and European soil. By this it present the reality of what was happening in both place.