4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just for Canadians
Published on Nov. 21 2010 by S. Jennings

3.0 out of 5 stars wonderful story
great acting by Paul Gross and script play of an event in Canadian at war history that truly brought the Canadian soldier into international focus as being determined and courageous....very graphic combat scenes and the ending leaves one with a feeling of loss and disappointment
Published 9 months ago by wayne organ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just for Canadians, Nov. 21 2010
S. Jennings "Sue J." (Petersburg, Alaska United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passchendaele (Bilingual) (DVD)
I am not Canadian but purchased Passchendaele for my husband who enjoys war movies and has some experience with war. We watched it on Veteran's Day, which has special meaning to him since he served in the U.S. Air Force. My husband is notorious for falling asleep during every movie that we watch. He stayed awake throughout Passchendaele. That is the highest form of praise that I can give.

The film points out the difference between what people think at home and what happens during war. People make assumptions and think they know what is really going on at the war front but, in truth, they have no way of knowing unless they are there.

After the film ended, my husband couldn't speak because the movie hit an emotional cord with him. You can nitpick one scene or another but a movie that pulls at your emotions is well worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See For Every Canadian!!, Feb. 24 2009
Sylvie Lacroix "Sly" (Northern Ontario, CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passchendaele (Bilingual) (DVD)
I saw this movie at my local theater on Remembrance Day 2008 and loved it. I am not one for love stories and, being a self-proclaimed history buff, I was going to see it out of curiosity.

I love Paul Gross. He is an amazing representative of Canada. He writes, directs and stars in projects that promote Canada. He is a national treasure.

Now, on with the review. The first review on this site about the film was not favorable as the reviewer was looking for something more historically accurate. This is not a documentary. It is Mr.Gross' attempt at getting the Canadian movie goer interested in the battle of Passchendaele. Write a movie with a love story, insert battle scenes that will have us squirming in our seats and then insert some Canadian pride and BAM! People are looking into what was the battle, who fought, what happened, etc. Many of my friends, who abhor History, were looking on Wikipedia and Googling info on Passchendaele. Mr.Gross never said that this was going to be a documentary. He was telling a story. And did he ever!

The movie had some comedy, some romance, lots of action and amazing scenery. The costumes and dialogue really fit. All the characters in the film seemed very real. All the stories meshed together in the end as a whole. There was no plot point left unfinished. The battles were brutal, the explosions and wounds made me ache. I am not ashamed to say that I cried at the end of this movie not because of the love story but because of the thought of all the men who fought and died on the battle field during this battle, WWI and WWII. And to think that Canadian Men and Women are out in Afghanistan fighting and dying...

Films like this are made to commemorate their sacrifices.

Every Canadian should see this film. Support your Canadian Film Industry and tell them that projects like this that tell OUR story, OUR History, deserve to be told. OUR History as a people needs to be up on that big screen just as much as the next U.S. war movie. Canadians have many stories to tell, not just war stories or hockey stories. Not just French and English. Our wonderful country deserves to tell its various stories on film! Canada has cultural diversity. Let's get those stories out there!

I bought this movie and watched it on Flag Day (Feb.15/09) with my friends along with other Canadian films and had a Flag Day Film Fest. I know I will be watching this again on Remembrance Day (Nov.11), Canada Day (July 1st) and Flag Day (Feb.15) for years to come!

To our American neighbors, see this film if you are curious about Canada's role in WWI. It might surprise you.

Buy it. Rent it. Borrow it from a friend. Whatever. Just SEE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not in my top ten but close., Nov. 11 2013
Johnny Boy "Ivan" (Sudbury, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passchendaele [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It is really hard to believe so many are panning what I consider a great movie,great entertainment and what is wrong with having a love story in a movie anyway? Battle scenes are very well done and while we can never see how horrible war is unless we have been in one I still think this movie sends a message to the viewer.Nothing wrong with directing either in mho.There are a lot of documentaries on our wars that are better at explaining such and that is where one needs to go for a history lesson.Meanwhile watch the movie Passchendaele,you won't be disappointed.Ivan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canadian perspective to the great War, May 26 2014
This review is from: Passchendaele [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I think any Canadian interested in our efforts during World War 1 would enjoy this movie. Paul Gross, wrote about his
grandfather's story and he gives us depictions of the home front in 1914-1918 as well as the horrific battles and terrible
conditions soldiers on both sides faced. The views of Western Canada were stunning and the recreation of the trenches and battlefields were horrifying.

5.0 out of 5 stars great movie, May 29 2013
This review is from: Passchendaele [Import] (DVD)
Being a movie collector I am very fussy which I order usually from seeing previews. I enjoy watching the many hours of entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars must see movie, Nov. 28 2013
This review is from: Passchendaele [Import] (DVD)
Based on the true story of the actors grandfather. In fact this multi-talented Due South Mountie wrote the story on which the movie is based and it's a great read also.

3.0 out of 5 stars wonderful story, Nov. 5 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars must see movie, Dec 19 2012
M. Parenteau (Banff, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passchendaele [Import] (DVD)
Paul Ross was able to bring this unfortunatly, unknown part of Canadian history to life in this romantic and historical movie. It'a a great movie. I enjoy the fact that it took place both on the Canadian and European soil. By this it present the reality of what was happening in both place.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-See For All Canadians, Dec 5 2011
This review is from: Passchendaele (Bilingual) (DVD)
I took my Dad to see this movie and use it to teach Canadian History. The lovemaking scenes are unnecessary and the first hour drags on, but the battle scenes and the historical accuracy of the film make it a valuable learning exercise. Two thumbs up!

3.0 out of 5 stars Passchendaele, Nov. 16 2009
D. Gail Toop "classic watcher" (New Denvwer , B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passchendaele (Bilingual) (DVD)
Passchendaele is more of a chick flick than a war story.
The scenery was spectacular in it's pristine glory that can only be found in Canadian lancscapes.
It is good to learn from history that Canadians played an intergral part in the war which is generally not acknowledged.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Passchendaele (Bilingual)
Passchendaele (Bilingual) by Paul Gross (DVD - 2012)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 6.99