5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Product
I purchased the Smart Oven after watching the review on Cook's Illustrated. They
mentioned all of the positive features plus the price of the unit so I was not shocked when I went looking for the best price.

There are some excellent reviews here so I will touch on a few things that I have noticed over the short time I have had the unit.

I...
Published on April 3 2011 by Abbotsford Flyers

1.0 out of 5 stars Elements failed
After using this oven on a regular basis for thirteen months two of the top three elements stopped working. The oven has been treated with care and cleaned on a regular basis. The warranty ran out one month before and this defect is not covered. I will not consider buying a Breville product in the future.
Published on Oct. 29 2011 by NanaimoConsumer

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Product, April 3 2011
Abbotsford Flyers (Abbotsford, BC. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)

I would suggest you purchase the cutting board and if you like to bake bread and make pizzas then the pizza stone is a well worth addition.

We have used the oven for baking artisan breads, pizzas, broiling open faced sandwiches, and of course toast. All with outstanding results.

Some features to note:

1. When opening the door when you have it in the middle rack, do it slowly, otherwise you could wind up with whatever you are making slide out. I did this with the pizza the first time, thinking it would simply stay put but it slid out too quickly. They tell you to open the door slowly in the directions!

2. The oven does get hot when in use, but it is mostly on the top. This is great for heating plates or leaving your cutting board on top to prevent you from touching the top. There is very little heat around the sides, front, or back to cause any concern. We have a few plastic cutting boards standing against the wall near the oven, 5 inches away and it is not a concern.

3. The pizza stone heats up very quickly, they mention 15 minutes which is very fast compared to the Emile Henry Pizza Stone that we use in the main oven. It requires 45 minutes of pre heating. Hint to the Emile Henry company, please make a 13" stone with the special glazing for the Breville Oven.

4. When making bread or pizza using the stone we found it much simpler to use parchment paper than corn meal. Placing a loaf of artisan bread (we have tried three of the recipes in the Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a Day) on top of the pizza stone is not a problem, however pizza can be a different matter. We solved this problem by purchasing a 10 inch round cake lifter. Place the parchment paper on the metal lifter, built your pizza, then slide it onto the preheated stone. Nothing falls away and it can be done quickly and no mess.

5. When your pizza or bread is 3/4 finished, open the oven and remove the parchment paper, this way you get the nice brown crisp finish on your pizza or bread.

6. When making open faced sandwiches I would suggest setting the broil setting to 400 degree's instead of 500. The first time I broiled brochetta with salsa and cheese on top of the bread, it made a mess on the broiler plate. After than I used parchment paper at the 500 degree setting and the paper went very brown. Sandwich was great but I was concerned, after than, 400 degree setting. It takes slightly longer but parchment paper does not brown.

7. There is a large crumb tray that opens up at the bottom. I find this an excellent design. You can simply remove it, and clean it up after each time you use your oven. Makes it easy to keep your oven spotless.

8. When baking bread I find the oven heats up quicker, and since it is a smaller unit bakes the bread slightly quicker than a regular oven. It is very easy to test doneness by inserting a thermapen in the bottom of the bread (artisan) and see if your temperature is between 205 - 210.

9. The controls to set the oven are very easy and they go over each one very well in the manual. I would have liked to see the broil setting adjust in 50 degree amounts instead of the 100 (wanted to broil at 450) but that is a small feature I would have liked to see.

10. As mentioned by many reviewers, toasting is outstanding whether you have one slice or 6, but it does take longer than you might except.

11. You can place a full size bread pan in the oven as well as change the position of the rack if you want to place the pizza under the broiler for a short time. Breville designed the oven so you can place the 13 inch plate or pizza stone in all three slots.

I purchased our unit at Amazon for $249. with free shipping and a week later it was on sale for $199.95 at our local Home Outfitters!

Accessories to purchase should you wish:

Parchment paper:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VLJ8G You can also get quarter sheets as well.

Bread, Cake, and Pizza lifter:

I have not purchased the perforated 13 inch pizza sheet, so if anyone has any input on this I would appreciate any feedback.

I know this review is a bit long, but I wanted to touch on a few of the features that I thought about to supplement all the excellent reviews on this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Elements failed, Oct. 29 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!, Oct. 11 2012
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
Purchased mine in July 2011. Last week, the unit unexpectedly stopped working. Unlike other reviewers have noted, my LCD screen would light up, but the heaters and fan would not start. Called Breville, who directed me to a repair shop in the area, but otherwise were unwilling to recognize the pattern of failure in these ovens and extend my warranty to cover the repairs. The repair shop diagnosed the problem as a failed control board. This will cost me $50 and take an additional two weeks to repair.

Avoid this oven at all costs. The poor reliability and even worse customer service is just not worth it. This unit is #fail.

1.0 out of 5 stars Canadians get second-class service, Sept. 21 2011
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
I purchased this oven in the Fall of 2010 and within a year the LCD-display started to flicker, dim and then stop working altogether, while on the toast setting, toast no longer gets crispy on the outside and soft in the middle, taking a setting of 7 -- the highest -- to get some colour and only after the inside is cooked and dried out.

Phoned customer service expecting that Breville would simply replace it, as that company does in the United States with a brand new oven and new warranty -- you never have to leave your home as Breville will arrange for FedEx pickup and delivery.

But I was told Canadians don't get that service - we have to drive it ourselves to a repair shop for a repair that takes weeks or more. Will Breville honour the repair for a full year as it would a replacement unit in the U.S. - not likely. Will it honour the repaired machine for a year in its entirety, as it does with replacements in the U.S.? No.

My suggestion is to get something else, which is a shame, since when it was working, it worked quite well. The LCD-failure is a common one, so you are really rolling the dice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Breville Convection Toaster Oven (BOV800XL) Falling Apart, Nov. 29 2012
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
Purchased a Breville convection toaster oven, BOV800XL. Within 4 months display light dimmed returned it to store and they replaced it with another unit. New unit's display light also dimmed after a short period of time, decided I could live with it. Recently oven door came crashing down, Googled problem, broken spring seems to be the word out on the net.
Door constantly crashing down now, quite annoying.
Contacted Breville, said they would sell me another oven for $200.
I said, no thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, Oct. 25 2010
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
I loved this product when I got it. It was probably the nicest toaster oven I've ever had and I was completely satisfied with my purchase, however, it decided to start acting up just after it reached its first birthday and was no longer under warranty. I have a great deal of difficulty getting it to turn on and off, and I find that it just doesn't seem to cook as well as it did when I first got it. I've read elsewhere that this is a common problem with this appliance so I'm not alone.
I am so disappointed in this oven.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this oven! Customer service is terrible., Dec 30 2011
Neil (Peterborough, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
I purchased my Breville BOV800xl/A from Amazon Canada on February 19th, 2011 about 10 months ago.
On Christmas eve it died completely, no lights, - nothing!
Nothing I did brought back any sign of life.
I emailed Breville, and after several days got back what looks like a form email saying "if you need parts or service contact one of our dealers" and provided a list of ALL their dealers in Canada.
They are not at all customer service oriented!!
The closest dealer to me is 120 km away (Toronto)and I will have to spend my time and dollars and then get only 2 more months of warranty ( remaining balance)
This tells me that they do NOT have confidence in their own product

The oven worked well when new, the Amazon service was great, however if you are thinking of this oven, from my perspective it is way OVERPRICED for its reliability. Check out where you must go if you need service, you will likely be better served by a different make!
I will not be buying Breville products in future!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY IN CANADA, Aug. 22 2013
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
This might be a great product if it works, but I wouldn't know, mine hasn't ever worked. The LCD screen - completely necessary to operate the product - went on the fritz during the initial 'burn off factory stuff' phase. Well... Breville service closes at 2 pm Friday afternoons in the summer... so you wait 3 days to find out: You're on your own to get service. Even on a Brand. New. Product. They'd pay for the service, but the packing up the oven, finding a repair place (over 100k away), getting the product there and back, etc, is all on you, the poor sap who wasted hundreds of dollars. Insane. Can't imagine ever ever ever purchasing a breville product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seemed like good customer service until you ask questions, Oct. 16 2012
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
I purchased a recondition model from breville and it worked for a month and a half. The electronics stopped working. They're sending me a replacement in what they estimate will be in about a month, but they can't send me an email when it's going to be sent and the email I got from them said it would be my proof of purchase for the new warranty. When I asked them if the warranty started before I ever received the actual item they wouldn't answer my question. So I guess no answer means if it takes 2 months to get a replacement I only have a 4 month warranty not a full 6 months. It seemed so easy to get the replacement until I started asking questions about tracking my order and warranty of my item. Their warehouse is not customer service so they don't tell you when it's being shipped is what I was told by them. So it will be a surprise I guess.

I've never had to deal with such bad customer service!

4.0 out of 5 stars In use for years now, No Problems, June 18 2013
David Griffiths (New Westminster, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
It heats up fast, and with the convection option, it cooks food quickly.

Our main oven sometimes burns food when the bottom burner comes on to bring the oven back to temperature. This oven, with the "smart" feature to heat different elements at different times, cooks the food easily.

There are also a lot of cooking options - from the standards of bake, broil, toast, to the more specialized "bagel", "pizza" and "cookies". We typically use bake, broil, toast and bagel.

My only complaint (and it's more of a concern) is that the controls on the front feel very light-weight. I've read that Canadians don't get the same level of support and warranty service that the Americans do, so keep that in mind when purchasing.

Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL