5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Product
I purchased the Smart Oven after watching the review on Cook's Illustrated. They
mentioned all of the positive features plus the price of the unit so I was not shocked when I went looking for the best price.

There are some excellent reviews here so I will touch on a few things that I have noticed over the short time I have had the unit.

I...
Published on April 3 2011 by Abbotsford Flyers

1.0 out of 5 stars Elements failed
After using this oven on a regular basis for thirteen months two of the top three elements stopped working. The oven has been treated with care and cleaned on a regular basis. The warranty ran out one month before and this defect is not covered. I will not consider buying a Breville product in the future.
Published on Oct. 29 2011 by NanaimoConsumer

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor customer service from Breville not worth the price, Oct. 5 2011
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
We purchased the toaster oven 8ooXL and loved it until it stopped completely in 10 months. Got a real run around as to where to take it for warranty work on Sept 1. As of today we still don't have it back, no help from head office customer service, this person could have been a computer. Told then that they will only replace after 4 - 6 weeks in service. Followed up with an email to the company with no reply. Spoke to another person today who also had the same ordeal with another appliance from this company. Breville does not deserve the high ratings I have seen in different areas online

5.0 out of 5 stars food tastes better ! but functions failing 3 mos later..., Sept. 19 2010
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
Following the positive reviews by Amazon clients, I purchased the Breville Smart convection toaster oven and am very pleased and thank all those who recommended it; the food I have been cooking with it even tastes better. Cooks quickly, a truly smart oven. The only reservation, if any, is that i have to remind myself to be careful to not come in contact with the inside of the oven door while cooking or shortly thereafter (say when testing to see if chicken or fish has thoroughly cooked) because the oven door is HOT when opened. This said, I recommend without reservation!! it is well worth the money, and saves you a trip to the store and carrying it home.
An addenda: 3 months later...tho i still like this product i must join those who report that it has stopped cooking efficiently. In fact i have to repeat broiling 3X the time allocated; it just seems as if part of the heating element in this convection oven has stopped functioning. Toast also taking 3x longer. So my enthusiasm is abated and i wonder how many others have experienced decline of functions, alas. i suspect i shall need to buy another shortly, tho i am reluctant to spend more $ and may just take 3X the amount of time to cook and toast,alas.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problem with temp and cooking times, Aug. 5 2013
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
Love the concept, tried several different times to make meals, but as indicated, the pre-set temps and times were not sufficient and consequently the oven took just as long as my regular oven. I am in the process of returning it to Breville, with no problems, and hope to receive a new one in a short time.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic convection oven/toaster, June 2 2010
SJ JB "hunter" (toronto, ontario, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
It is a great product. Toaster is great - but especially the oven. I've made pizza's, fries, cookies, salmon etc. and it was fast and efficient. It is very easy to clean (outside and inside) and looks great on the counter! Worth the money for sure!

1.0 out of 5 stars Seemed like good customer service until you ask questions, Oct. 16 2012
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
I purchased a recondition model from breville and it worked for a month and a half. The electronics stopped working. They're sending me a replacement in what they estimate will be in about a month, but they can't send me an email when it's going to be sent and the email I got from them said it would be my proof of purchase for the new warranty. When I asked them if the warranty started before I ever received the actual item they wouldn't answer my question. So I guess no answer means if it takes 2 months to get a replacement I only have a 4 month warranty not a full 6 months. It seemed so easy to get the replacement until I started asking questions about tracking my order and warranty of my item. Their warehouse is not customer service so they don't tell you when it's being shipped is what I was told by them. So it will be a surprise I guess.

I've never had to deal with such bad customer service!

5.0 out of 5 stars Has replaced my oven, April 11 2014
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
This little countertop toaster oven is fabulous. It has completely replaced my oven as my go-to for cooking dinner.

It heats up really quickly, uses less energy than a conventional stove, and has a countdown timer and alarm that notifies you when it has finished cooking. You have a choice of cooking normally or with convection -- and there are many different presets (pizza: freshly made or frozen, toast, cookies, etc) that allow you to set up for cooking and come back to a nicely completed meal. You can also bake, broil, roast, toast, reheat and warm.

Size-wise, you have to purchase cooking items that fit within it. It is not conventional oven size. You certainly won't be able to cook a turkey in it -- but you can put a 2 quart casserole dish (with lid) inside, along with a 14 inch pizza (think frozen pizza size). The Breville machine comes with a cookie sheet, a grill pan and a pizza pan to get you started. The machine itself is bigger than your standard toaster oven (it's about the size of a small microwave), but I see it as an extra oven, not a toaster.

The rack inside can be adjusted to the bottom row to fit the 2-quart casserole dish, mid-rack for cookies, and broil level up top. Having used the machine quite a bit, I would recommend using the mid-rack for broiling, as I've had some smoke issues with the top rack when cooking steak. Mid-rack works well.

The machine itself is easy to use and simple enough to clean -- think a regular oven with a crumb tray at bottom. The top of it can get very hot, so avoid placing any items on top of it.

I would highly recommend this machine if you are looking for alternatives to a conventional oven -- whether it be in a dorm room, or in addition to the oven you use on a daily basis, or as a replacement for your conventional oven.

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy this product, April 6 2011
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
Received this product in October of 2010. Works ok but the cooking times are same or longer than our full size gas oven. Not sure what good the convection feature is doing. Toasting is super slow. Then in March of 2011, stops working completely. No power at all. 1st week of April and still in the shop. Breville shipped wrong part. Call Breville, sorry, nothing we can do for you. Normal wait time for repairs is 4 to 6 weeks. Great service for a $300 toaster oven. Shop elsewhere folks. I for one will never buy a product from this company again. And read through all the reviews, you'll see that there are several complaints about failing units. We were lucky ours was during the 1st year.

1.0 out of 5 stars LCD screen just died and so did the oven shortly after the end of warranty., March 5 2014
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
We did enjoy the Smart Oven BOV800XL that we purchased from Amazon while it lasted. We are seniors and we thought it would help our energy bills instead of using a large oven. Unfortunately it only lasted a little over a year (warranty length, how convenient). We were cooking some fish when all of a sudden the LCD screen went blank and so did the oven. It did not show any error message, it just went blank. Tried everything including unplugging it, waiting and plugging it in again. Results = nothing. Looked for reset button but none there. Has is happened to anyone else? Please let us know if you know how we can repair it.

As far as “would I buy another?” NO! Very disappointed. Unhappy Grandparents

3.0 out of 5 stars I am not happy with this, Aug. 14 2014
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
I ordered this toaster oven with high hopes. It has worked well as described, but the digital display on my unit flickers on the timer portion. I am not happy with this, and plan to seek a replacement with Breville as my return window with amazon.ca has apparently run out, despite receiving this oven less than 2 months ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, Nov. 25 2013
Afton Holmes "Afton" (Vancouver BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL (Kitchen)
I've had this for just under a month and I recommend it to anyone who has space and wants an extra oven. It does need a bit of room. I still use a toaster for 1-2 slices of toast but I have toasted 6 slices and find that they all toast evenly. I've cooked baked yams, baked potatoes, pork chops, bacon and even finish off a crock pot roast in it. I love that it gets hot fast and that I'm using less energy for small jobs with this instead of my full size oven. I give it a wipe down if there's splatter jut to keep it tidy looking and I put foil down on the crumb tray. If anything hinky comes up I'll update but so far, I love it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›