5.0 out of 5 stars A Phd. in Horribleness! Simply fantastic!
Published on Jan. 24 2009 by E. Vallee

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring uninspired fluff for fans!
For ppl who like musicals and singing to the extreme only. I constantly felt embarrassed for the actors/actresses. I swear fans love this because it is so original and niche. BUT it's GARBAGE don't buy it unless you love Buffy/Whedon.
Published 18 months ago by Jrock

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Phd. in Horribleness! Simply fantastic!, Jan. 24 2009
E. Vallee "Digital Sith" (BC Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (DVD)
This is must own for any Joss Whedon fan. If you liked the Buffy musical episode, this "movie" is right up there with the musical quality and story telling. Dr. Horrible (aka billy buddy) is a man on a quest to enter the Evil League of Evil. When his application goes under review for entry, he is tasked with pulling off something truly evil in order to get accepted. The viewer is taken along on a wonderfully scripted and performed ride that ends in typical Whedon fashion. Neil Patrick Harris plays the part of Dr. Horrible with much flair and style while maintaining a level of b-movie character design throughout. The most surprising thing is how talented he is, I mean honestly, did anyone think he could sing so well? Nathan Fillion, probably best know as the Captain Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly and the movie Serenity, plays Dr. Horrible's nemesis Captain Hammer. Felicia Day plays Dr. Horrible's love interest, even if he can't bring himself to let her know this. I just want to add that I, like many people found my intial order cancelled, but I didn't let that stop me. I simply ordered it from amazon.com, paid a little more and got my purchase before amazon.ca had it in stock. It was worth every penny. I highly recommend this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant classic worth watching, Jan. 16 2009
This review is from: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (DVD)
This DVD is like hitting "WIN!" on the slot machine twice in a row. Containing both the original "movie" and the audio "Commentary The Musical", you'll be able to enjoy twice as many beautiful songs, witty dialog and general greatness.

The DVD also features video footage of people applying to the Evil League of Evil's online contest (some dull, some funny), making-of featurettes and a non-musical audio commentary. The only thing lacking in this product is a gag reel, which I suppose was either non-existant or overlooked.

I'm extremely pleased with this DVD and would recommend it to anyone who likes musicals and/or comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Movie You'll EVER See, May 4 2009
M. Costantino "Novel Lover" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (DVD)
After hearing rumours of the innovative internet-release of 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" I had to check it out. I was not ready for the spectacular work of film I found.
This has quickly become my favourite movie. The acting is amazing and the musical numbers are phenomenal! I especially love that I continually find something new to laugh about; whether there's an inside joke or an inconspicuous character in the background doing something hilarious.
If you have yet to see Dr. Horrible, you need to... right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Dr. Horrible, March 3 2009
This review is from: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (DVD)
I've enjoyed Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog since I first saw it on the website, even with the troubles with Hulu. It was witty, it was silly, it was heart-wrenching. We've all been in situations of unrequited love, and the person you'd do anything to be with... and this is indeed one of those tales. And it's a musical with Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion. You can't go wrong.

The DVD itself I got as a DVD-R, very professionally done, with a minimalist approach to packaging and labeling. That said, the DVD is really worth the price, especially considering how cheap it is, even with Amazon's ridiculous shipping charges. While the show is still available on the net, the show is in very high quality on the DVD, and the extras are awesome. The commentary tracks and the ELE application videos were great. I personally think some of the ELE videos weren't that great compared to some of the others I saw, but that may have been personal bias as well.

If you get the opportunity, I would recommend watching Commentary! The Musical, as it's a hilarious glimpse at both some of the things that went on, and the general silliness of the cast.

All in all, it's a DVD I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have; if only for the Evil League of Evil's submissions, July 26 2010
Marc Nadeau (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
So good on so many levels : ludicrous special effects, insane lyrics, baddies' mad names taken from an even maddier story, etc... Joss Whedon even included a love story with all his unique special signature twists and bells.

If there was an Oscar for best "All genres" DVD, it would be in the finalists. This thing is pure gold. Definitely a must have.

And none should forget the special of the specials: the utterly hilarious Evil League of Evil's candidates' video submissions!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for Joss, Oct. 17 2009
L. Walker (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT!!! I had heard good things about this project and have been a long time fan of Joss, but even so, this still blew me away. It has all Joss's usual trademarks of humor, wit, great characters, good entertainment and it is competely original. I loved the casting, the songs, the story, the format in how the story was told, well I guess i loved pretty much everything!! ( I even loved the cheesy costumes). It is definately a must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, Sept. 7 2009
Jeff Schauff (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
Even if you have seen the movie online for free the extras are well worth the purchase. Commentary the Musical alone makes this a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully made, Aug. 16 2009
David Howarth (Chertsey, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
on the surface anyone can laugh and enjoy this movie. from the brilliant casting, to the hilarious writing. And those who have more of a grasp on wit and sarcasm will enjoy it even more. But when you look past just the surface fun, you see that this movie is great for so many other reasons as well. From the sets, to the acting, the subtle nuances, the incredibly well written songs. It's just an outstanding package all together

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, Aug. 13 2009
Nick Zawadski (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
A must see, Joss Whedon knocked this out of the park. The script is fantastic, the songs are so catchy that you'll be singing along before they're finished. I wasn't sure what to expect going into the movie, but I enjoyed it as much or more than anything I've ever watched. As good as Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day were, NPH is absolutely brilliant. The script and songs must have been written expecting him to play the part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Whedon :), July 30 2010
Classic Whedon :)

once again Joss has a hit.. and now available in sweet HD with DTS.

Cheesy? Damn right... But unbelievably silly and funny. It's an instant classic..

Not to mention done on a shoestring budget and completely embarrassed the "big studios" with it;s huge success as a web release... something the studios failed miserably at.

It's a definite must see for everyone IMO.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog by Neil Patrick Harris (DVD - 2009)
CDN$ 35.38