5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you don't know who this is...., March 6 2009
D. Lalla "DL" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insurgentes (Audio CD)
Even if you don't know who this is, this is a great album. I'd never heard of Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson. I just noticed that the package included a DVD-Audio Advanced Resolution and DTS 5.1 and Stereo mixes for a very good price so I thought I'd give it a try because I have a large SACD and DVD Audio collection (and there's little new music in rock or electronic music in those formats anymore).

In short: This album is stellar. If you are a fan of Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, or She Wants Revenge, (or Death Cab for Cutie even in a strange way) I'm almost certain you'd like it. Even if you are not, this album is clearly worth a listen. There are rock, electronic, ambient, psychedelic and industrial influences that are just so well combined. It really sets a mood. As I listen repeatedly I appreciate it all more.

A lucky find for me! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Masterpiece From the Mind of Steven Wilson, March 2 2009
This review is from: Insurgentes (Audio CD)
First off, let me state that I love this guy's music. His work in Porcupine Tree and No-Man et al. has created many absolutely stunning tracks. Usually, the glory of his songs hit me immediately. This was not the case with Insurgentes. I first listened to it with the same level of excitement that I usually have for a new Steven Wilson release. Harmony Korine was exactly what I wanted. The rest of the album was not.

Originally, I was turned off by the relentlessly slow pace of Abandoner. And then I was turned off further by the wall of noise that makes up the latter part of the song. Salvaging was just too weird for me with the strange sounds and completely contrary sections (heavy guitar and drums into a string section and then back into more menacing territory). I had similar concerns throughout the album, the only songs I really enjoyed being Harmony Korine, Veneno Para Las Hadas, and the title and final track.

Despite my dislike for many of the songs, I constantly listened to them for reasons unbeknownst to me. I had gotten two other CDs at the same time and I knew I liked those but I kept ignoring them in favour of Insurgentes. During one of these inexplicable times listening to the album every song just seemed mind-bogglingly good. The vocals, the instrumentation, the songwriting, and yes, even the atonal sounds that puncture several of the tracks fit together into a seamless hole. Now I feel I'm entering some kind of dark and mysterious world of sound when I listen to this album. I now believe this will be as integral a part of my music collection as Porcupine Tree's In Absentia or Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F#A#oo.

Long story short, this album is a masterpiece, even if you don't think so immediately. If you are a fan of anything Steven Wilson is done, buy this. Eventually, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insurgentes is absolutely incredible!, Feb. 24 2009
This review is from: Insurgentes (Audio CD)
For those of you who do not know of Steven Wilson: He is the vocalist and guitarist of Porcupine Tree. He is also a solo artist, a producer (he produced and contributed to 3 Opeth albums amongst others), as well as having other projects (Blackfield('rock' music with Israeli artist Aviv Geffen), No-Man(with Tim Bowness on vocals) and Bass Communion (more atmospheric)). He's a busy guy.

Overall Insurgentes is an incredible album, each song is vastly different from the previous. Each one is also arranged meticulously and beautifully. The entire album gives a sense of haunting beauty. Steven Wilson has described it as a compilation of what he listens to, as it incorporates his influences. It is rather difficult to describe and therefore you should just buy it and listen to it! Basically, Steven Wilson is a genius and here is an incredible solo album by him. No doubt about it. Overall this album is just amazing, I cannot give it enough praise! It really doesn't belong to a specific genre which is great since a variety of people with different tastes in music will find something on it to enjoy. Seriously, get it. You won't be disappointed.

Side note, if you are an audiophile also pick this up. The surround sound mix will blow your mind! Steven Wilson mixed it all himself and it sounds great so if you are into any of this stuff then this is yet another reason to buy this album.

If you are a fan of Steven Wilson and any one of his many projects, GET THIS NOW. It is an awesome album. I don't need to convince you. Just get it.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars For People Seeking Some Real Music, Nov. 12 2009
B. Horne (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insurgentes (Audio CD)
When I heard the track "Nil Recurring" on the Porcupine Tree EP I thought that this was a band that was really hitting their stride, but I am still struggling with their subsequent release "The Incident", as it seems like a retrograde step - however, this is a gem...

Steve Wilson seems to have taken the energy of that track and expanded it over a whole album... This is genius stuff.... Not something you can get on the first listening, but will reward you with repeated playings, especially in the 24 bit 5.1 DVD-A that is included with this.

I take my hat off to this guy - edgy and risky, but creative and brilliant... and busy, by all accounts....

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars something to work on!, June 11 2009
Daniel Fournier "daniel fournier" (Stettler alberta canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Insurgentes (Audio CD)
Maybe the best way to start this is tell you what this cd will not give you, it is a song that you will be able to sing with and remember for the rest of the day, this is for me a big time project for Steven that is really hard to get into and will not please everyone for sure, now, if you are patient the way I was, I did listen to the cd about 15 time so far and only since the last 3 time that I actually loose myself totaly into it and yes without drugs! big smile! this is not just a cd to listen but an actual sound experience that can take one person anywhere, some of course would say that it is simply all over the place, and so on, for me I think that this is just a super gift from steven wilson, all those different instrument of music that usually you would not see them together on a same track, it is just amazing! but I must tell the true , it was hard for me to take at first. if I would have written my review after the first listening, I would have call my review total let down, but some how I knew that I had to be patient and get into it, so, if you are prepare to do that it is a master piece, and let's not forget the gift of a audio dvd with the dts and the 5.0 sound and high resolution and so on, other major band charge us for such of product, in the audio dvd department, Porcupine tree and steven wilsone give it with the purchase of the cd, if you have the equipment it is something to experience, but again, this is no radio materiel, Dark side of the moon now sound very commercial compare to this, we have come a long way. be prudent if you choose to buy this one be prepare that you may not like it at first, but you will in time if you like experimental music.

Insurgentes
Insurgentes by Steven Wilson (Audio CD - 2009)