5.0 out of 5 stars xmas gift
my partner had told me that this was his favourite album growing up, I wanted to surprise this as a Christmas gift for him, has never left his vehicle since putting it in the disc player. thank you
Published 2 months ago by Angel Williams

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Japanese SHM CD
I purchased this album a few months back with the understanding that it was the SHM CD from Japan. This was not the case. It seemed strange that a SHM CD would be listed for such a cheap price. The average SHM CD is around $30.00 or more. I thought that maybe Amazon was just having a sale and getting rid of them, so I bought it.
When i got this album, it was not in...
Published on Jan. 23 2011 by Justin Baranec

5.0 out of 5 stars xmas gift, Feb. 4 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Japanese SHM CD, Jan. 23 2011
This review is from: Under Lock & Key (Audio CD)
When i got this album, it was not in the cardboard package and should also have had a Japanese label on it. I would have sent it back , but the TOOLS that work in the warehouse for Amazon would have just sent me the same thing over again. Buy the Album because you like Dokken. Don't buy it if you think you're getting the Japanese version

4.0 out of 5 stars Never Unchain the Night...(4.5/5*), July 1 2011
Tommy Sixx Morais (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Under Lock & Key (Audio CD)
Released in 1985, Under Lock and Key is Dokken's third album and marked a bit of a change of sound as it's not as heavy and raw as the band's previous album, Tooth and Nail (1984), or even its follow up Back For The Attack (1987). This one goes for a more polished and melodic approach that was popular during that decade but is overall just as good of an album, if not better than its predecessor. The band was obviously aiming at the charts with this release as they went towards a more commercial way. Under lock and Key features Dokken at it's as its best with some highly melodic and fun rocking songs that proves why Dokken is one of the better Hair/Glam-Metal bands. Dokken released some excellent albums in the 1980's and to me Under Lock and Key is perhaps their very best, it captures the band at its brightest moment. Don's voice is at its best here and sounds amazing; I really feel that he does some of his best singing on this album. As always we are treated to some very skillful guitar work by George Lynch who proves himself once more. Not to be forgotten, bassist Jeff Pilson and drummer Mick Brown also provide a strong and tight rhythm section.

Unchain The Night opens the album very well, it's a good rocker with a memorable chorus. I just love Don Dokken's screams towards the end, Don sounds excellent here and his voice is terrific. The Hunter is one of my favorite Dokken songs, it has a good feel, solid melody and the chorus is undeniably catchy and is simply the band at its best. In My Dreams is a softer song that's very much on the pop side but there's nothing wrong with that as it's a great Dokken song. Its Not Love features an excellent riff courtesy of George Lynch, got to love the tongue-in-cheek breakdown towards the end! Jaded Heart is a very nice ballad with a powerful feel to it. Don't Lie To Me and Will The Sun Rise (It could be said so of many songs but this one has an incredible solo, Lynch makes the simplest things sound great) are both undeniably catchy songs that have some qualities of a ballad but are also rock 'n' roll. The only song that I am not a huge fan of is closer Till the Living End, it's a heavier song and certainly not a bad one but it's not a great track either. It has great playing on it don't get me wrong, it's heavier in the same way that Tooth and Nail was but something is missing.

Here's the thing about Dokken: they know just how to craft a catchy song full or arrangements and hooks while still making it rock. I think Under Lock and Key captures Dokken at its shiniest moment, it's safe to say that if you don't like this album then chances are you won't like the band very much. It's easy to classify Dokken as just another band that was around during the Glam movement or that decade they call the 1980's but I think they were actually one of the better bands of that genre. The band also had a hard-rock sound to them mixed with the 80's sound. Add to this lyrics that were more clever and intelligent than that of many bands of the era had mixed with some fantastic guitar work, and what you get is this band who is in my opinion often overlooked and underrated. I don't think Under Lock and Key is a five stars album but it may very well be Dokken's best and comes somewhat close. I think 4.5 stars is fitting to this excellent album, I love Under Lock and Key and it's an album I would recommend to fans of melodic/Glam metal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finest of 80's Hard Rock, July 1 2004
Trent B. Mcdaniel (Montgomery, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under Lock and Key (Audio CD)
This is one of the best hard rock albums of the 1980's...period. Cover to cover this is Dokken's best album. Unchain the Night starts it out and it never lets up. In My Dreams and It's Not Love will always be classics. The Hunter and Jaded Heart are mid tempo gems, the latter of which is a haunting ballad. Even the couple of slow moments on this album come with such a kick!The production on this album is phenominal. No collection is complete without this one. Definitely in my top 10 hard rock albums ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh that cover...that horrible cover, June 17 2004
This review is from: Under Lock and Key (Audio CD)
I doubt that a two word sentence was ever uttered with the words 'Dokken' and 'Rules' in alphabetical order. Of all the hard rocking L.A. hair metal bands, Dokken was a unique mystery. They were not really power pop because of George Lynch's amazing guitar skills, and they weren't Bon Jovi either, even though Don Dokken wanted everyone to think he was just as sexy and talanted (I for one think that Bon Jovi sucks, but that style was where the money was in the decadant 80's).
Dokken was a meat and potato rock n roll band, period. They hit it big for a short time on MTV with the video 'In my Dreams', followed by 'It's not Love'. Belive it or not a cheap and worthless black and white fuzzy video was shot for 'The Hunter' that played on Headbanger's Ball maybe two times.
Under Lock and Key is a good definition of what Dokken is and what they could have been. When you hear a song like 'Lightning Strikes' you say these guys can really rock, but when you hear stuff like Slippin' Away, you laugh at them for being a cheezy hair band. I don't know of anyone who detests Dokken, but I don't think they were anyone's favorite band. Here's the best way to send them up.
When a Poison or Warrant fan put them on, they were into 'the hard stuff', however a Slayer or Anthrax fan could play them without being embarrassed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you sir, May I have another ,, June 11 2004
Hilow "Bill" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
My ears hurt,
This CD rocks so hard you will climb the walls. If your a fan of Ratt, this is better than "out of the cellar". Sure it came along sometime after but it is produced better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best effort, June 8 2004
Bilbo Baggins "mighty hobbit" (Land of Dwarves and Hobbits) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under Lock and Key (Audio CD)
This is my favorite Dokken album. Every song is at least abouve average or better. Unchain the night and the Hunter is one of the best one two punches that I have heard in a 'hair metal' album. In my dreams is pretty good too. The rest of the album isn't quite as good but is still worth a listen. Slipping away and Lightning strikes again are two of my favorite lesser known Dokken gems. What's up with the cover though? That's a pretty lame cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for the album cover alone, June 8 2004
Da Peace Dogg (Hollywood, California - livin' humble) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under Lock and Key (Audio CD)
Why pass this up? I enjoy this album for the cover alone, which features the gloriously teased-up hair and petulant faces of the one and only Dokken. (That's Rockin' Dokken for those on the street.) These guys were heavy metal fighters to the end, no different from Dio, Danger Danger, Duran Duran and Guns 'n' Roses.
Musically, there's nothing better than "Under Lock + Key;" mid '80's music hit its peak on this treasured masterpiece. George Lynch is a mastermind guitarist, but he never got along with Ronnie James Dio, and thus, Dokken as we knew them tragically ceased to exist by '87 - a sad day in metal lore. Nonetheless, this headbanging piece of work is still with us, influencing the likes of today's bands, seminal rockers like Blink-182, Def Leppard, Velvet Revolver and the new Guns 'n' Roses.
"Unchain the Night" and "Jaded Heart" are especially mind-bending tracks that will change you.
I THINK YOU'LL ENJOY THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another solid Dokken album, May 19 2004
This review is from: Under Lock and Key (Audio CD)
Under Lock And Key (1985.) Dokken's third album.
By 1985 Dokken had managed to become one of America's most popular heavy metal bands. The band's first two albums found them trying to find their sound, and around this era, the band had finally managed to find the sound that would bring them success in the latter half of the eighties. It was obvious that Don Dokken, George Lynch, Mick Brown, and Jeff Pilson were heavy metal masterminds by now, and in 1985 the band released its third studio album, Under Lock And Key. This is Dokken's most popular album and the one most fans call their best. Are they right? Read on for my review.
To put it simply, this is a damn fine Dokken album. It's not my favorite, but many fans of the band would beg to differ there. One thing you'll notice about this album as opposed to the previous two is that the production has been improved. Also, once you listen to the album, you'll agree - there isn't a single filler track. In fact, several of the band's biggest hits came from this album. Among them are In My Dreams, which is probably the most popular song that the band has ever recorded. Eighties hard rock never sounded much better. Another fairly large hit from this era was It's Not Love. This track is my personal favorite of all of the band's big hits, and why not? If you need a song that shows you why these guys were one of the best heavy metal bands of their era, this one will demonstrate that point beautifully. I could care less about the dialogue session about two thirds of the way through the song, but it doesn't change my feelings about the track as a whole. And then, of course, there are several lesser-known tracks that are equally good. The opening track, Unchain The Night, was a minor hit for the band (it never compared to the success of other popular tracks, though.) It's a real shame this one didn't gain more popularity than it did. And then of course, we have Hunter. It's a slower track, but not quite a ballad. It's the happy medium between a ballad and a rocker, and this works well. The other ballad featured here is Jaded Heart, and it's quite similar to the band's big hit from their previous album, Alone Again. Sadly though, it was never as popular. But, of course, the band saved the best song of all for last. Till The Living End is straight up, fast and furious rock. The track has somewhat of a resemblance to Live To Rock (Rock To Live) from the band's debut album, Breaking The Chains (maybe that's why I like this track so well.) If you need solid proof that George Lynch is a guitar genius, this closer track will put your doubts to shame. In the end, this is one of Dokken's finest efforts. Not my personal favorite (in my book that honor goes to the band's debut), but solid nonetheless.
If you're a fan of Dokken, or just eighties hard rock/heavy metal in general, Under Lock And Key is essential listening. This, my friends, is the way heavy metal should sound. Dokken were the kings of the genre, and this album proves it like no other of their releases can.

5.0 out of 5 stars A shining example of quality 80's hard rock, April 26 2004
Paul E. Xavier "Music Lover" (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under Lock and Key (Audio CD)
From the introdcutory acoustic opening chords of "Unchain the Night", quickly turning into a crunchy, solid hard rocker, this CD is a winner!
"The Hunter" growls and prowls. "In My Dreams", is one of Dokken's more well known songs. It's radio friendly, but melodic and hard enough to still satisfy fans of Dokken's brand of hard rock. (I hate to call them metal...they really are more hard rock).
"Slippin' Away" slows things down a bit. It's one of two ballads of the CD. But it's just another example of how professional and polished these guys were as a band. The harmonies displayed here at one point in the tune are beautifully done.
"Lightin' Strikes Again" quickly brings things back up to speed...nearly a thrasher, but again, tightly played.
I could go on with the rest of the tracks of the album, but it would sound redundant. One thing Dokken had the edge over on any of the "hair bands" "metal bands" (whatever you want to call them) was MELODY.
Everything shines here...Jeff Pilson's bass, Mick Brown's drumming and percussion, George Lynch's blistering solos, and Don Dokken's vocals. Even down to the cover...the tousled hair, the colorful outfits, and the rhyming band name and CD title. This one, and "Tooth and Nail", are probably the two best bets if you're interested in re-discovering 80's hard rock.

ARRAY(0xb09052c4)

Under Lock & Key
Under Lock & Key by Dokken (Audio CD - 2009)