4.0 out of 5 stars a sleeper worth seeing
Admittedly Robert Benton's neo noir "Twilight" suffers from leaden pacing and a script that lacks any real suspense or suprise (two invaluable ingredients in the genre). It also possesses a strange similarity to Arthur Penn's excellent "Night Moves" (also starring Gene Hackman).
That said, "Twilight" proves a most effective small film...
Published on Feb. 18 2003 by J. Remington

3.0 out of 5 stars Better and worse than expected
First off, I'm not a teenager and I haven't read the book. I watched the movie with the rest of my family, because my teenaged daughter insisted that we should, and assured us that we'd all love it. (In return for this, she has to watch Dracula ...)

Published on March 24 2009 by R. Lloyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Better and worse than expected, March 24 2009
R. Lloyd "English Expat" (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews

Actually, I watched it twice, because it was both much better and much worse than I expected. It's clearly a teenage-girl wish-fulfilment fantasy, starring teenage actors, so you don't expect anything very thought-provoking, any serious characterization or (probably) any Oscar-winning performances. But I could be wrong about that.

The acting is first-rate, in particular Rob Pattinson's portrayal of the dark, brooding outcast who "doesn't want to be a monster". The barely-controlled anger, the pathos and the vulnerability he brought to Edward were quite outstanding. I'd also give five stars to Cam Gigandet's James, the Tracker, whose combination of a feline predator with a sadistic sicko was also superb. The developed relationship between Edward and Bella is everything that teenaged first-love should be -- desperately intense, sweet, touching, and sometimes laden with embarrassment. They were great. I thought Kristen Stewart's Bella was OK -- but the character is a wimp (the kind that just wants to be protected and loved and cherished for ever but doesn't seem to do a great deal to deserve it) so she didn't have much to work with.

On the down side, the "willing suspension of disbelief" takes a real beating with this movie. Some of it is rather obvious and my daughter tells me you just have to live with it -- like the fact that Edward has been 17 for "a while" but still doesn't act any older than this. (I mean, he's been going to high school now for *ninety years*? Doesn't he get bored with it? Doesn't he fall asleep during the ninetieth repetition of Grade 11 math? Since they obviously aren't there to meet other kids, why don't they pretend to homeschool? How come no-one notices that they never eat their cafeteria food? How come they still behave like teenagers after ninety years? Because if they didn't, there wouldn't be any story, of course.) Bella appears to go from outright dislike to undying love in about two days, which made me want to shake her and tell her to grow up. (You've known him how long??) The real let-down, though, is the special effects. The first time Edward raced up a hill at superhuman speed, three of us (everyone except my daughter) just fell apart laughing, it was so patently, absurdly, just a speeded-up film. It looks like Charlie Chaplin. Leaping from a balcony, or across an enormous room, was unbelievably fake. (Real jumps have a trajectory; only a zip-wire doesn't.) With the best will in the world, it's hard to immerse yourself in an adventure that suddenly springs these awful gaffes on you.

On the whole, though, I quite enjoyed this. Of course, 99% of teenage girls adore it, but their parents and siblings can watch it too without being overly shocked or appalled. Just try not to laugh or comment too loudly, because it annoys the teenage daughter.

4.0 out of 5 stars a sleeper worth seeing, Feb. 18 2003
J. Remington "John Remington" (Adams, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
That said, "Twilight" proves a most effective small film that benefits from an excellent cast playing at the top of their game.
Robert Benton has always worked wonders with an ensemble cast and ,in "Twilight", he continues his excellent track record as an "actor's" director. Benton's willingness to sit back and let some of films' greatest artists work their magic makes much of the aforementioned pacing issues almost a moot point. Gene Hackman, Susan Sarandon and the always excellent and grossly underrated James Garner all turn in subtle performances here. It really is a sheer privilage and joy watching these veteran masters spin their polished craft. A young Reece Witherspoon and Liev Schriebner also turn in fine performances.
Of course at the center of "Twilight" stands the beautiful artist Paul Newman. Few actors in Hollywood history have consistently turned in as many excellent peformances. Newman proves yet again that a superb actor can transcend a less than stellar script.
This is an actor's film. Anyone craving watching a concert of well tuned instruments played by masters need to look no further. None of the performances are Oscar worthy, which makes them all the more special. Sometimes the best acting occurs when the audience cannot see the wheels spinning and the strings pulling.
Along with gorgeous cinematography, "Twilight" with its fine performances is a sleeper well worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rating The Special Features, March 22 2009
Buggy "SUNNIE Day reader" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm not going to review the movie here or go over key plot points. I'm also not going to talk about how gorgeous Robert Pattinson is. We've all seen it, we know it by heart, and we all love it. It's our brand of heroin. I am however going to tell you what I think about the special features.

This 2 disk Special edition includes a ton of goodies guaranteed to please any Twilight fan. I have to say that this was the first time watching the movie that I didn't compare it to the book and I found that it stands very well on its own. Even if you've never heard of Twilight you will enjoy this. I had also forgotten how awesome Charlie is and I noticed that the special effects don't look quite as cheesy on the small screen as they did in the theatre.

DISK 1 (122 minutes)

EXTENDED SCENES: (5 of them) With director's introduction. Too bad these couldn't have been left in. Including an extended meadow scene, In Edward's bedroom, James don't play with your food and don't read Charlie's mind.

AUDIO COMMENTARY: With director Catherine Hardwicke, Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. Watch the movie with Rob, Kristen and Catherine. This is really funny stuff with alot of teasing regarding Rob's driving capabilities, his eyebrows and aging (where's Efron?)

MUSIC VIDEOS: Muse-Black hole (Stephanie Meyer introduces video), Linkin Park- Leave out all the rest (very cool live performance), Paramore-Decode(great video with movie clips as seen on Much Music)

DISK 2 (78 minutes)

7 PART DOCUMENTARY: (55 minutes) The journey from page to screen. My favourite extra on the disk. Really interesting behind the scenes look at the making of the film. The stunts, the baseball game, the music, interviews with the cast and tons of unseen footage.

DELETED SCENES: (5 of them) Again, too bad they couldn't have been left in especially the sexy finger biting meadow scene. Also a neat scene with Carlisle and Esme and the infamous "she's not one of us Edward."

COMIC CON PHENOMENOM: (8 minutes) Where the screaming began. 6000 fans have a Q&A with Rob, Kristen, Taylor, Edi, Michelle, Cam, Catherine and Stephanie Meyer.

THEATRICAL CAMPAIGN: (12 minutes) Teaser trailers as seen on TV, Sneak peaks (5 in all)

Highly recommended, If you're a fan of Twilight than these extras are what you've been waiting for. Bring on New Moon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story weak acting, July 14 2009
Cheryl Dumais (Calgary, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEW Twilight (DVD) (DVD)
I am not a teenager but I am a Twilight fan. I loved the books. This movie is entertaining and worth watching but the acting is pretty weak. Be prepared for some pretty corny (at my age anyway) scenes. Just the same the scenery is beautiful and the movie was well cast as far as appearance goes. Bella is pretty lackluster. She says some of her lines so fast that it seems like she isn't even feeling anything. She doesn't appear all that impressed with Edward. Edward is gorgeous but at my age I don't want to see James Dean again. His acting is much too much like Dean. I thought he was much more natural and believable in Harry Potter as Cedric Diggory. All the same I enjoyed the movie but don't expect great acting. Sit back and accept that it was written for a young audience and for them I am guessing it is just right.

4.0 out of 5 stars love this movie, June 5 2009
P. Lee (Canada) - See all my reviews
Not a teenage myself, quite sceptical about vampire movie, but borrowed the DVD from friend and watched it. After seeing it, I decided to buy my own DVD because I would love to watch it again and also ordered the books. Looking forward to seeing New Moon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wake me when it's over?, Dec 20 2009
Foreverwolf (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
Hot actors, check. SFX, semi check. Evil Vamps go good cliche plot line, check.
My first mistake was sitting down to watch the movie. My second was actually sitting through the entire thing, constantly hoping it would get better. My third was not demanding a refund.
Twilight was drawn out and just plain boring. Sure, lots of eye candy, if you can get past the teenage emo that resonates throughout the entire thing. The plot was just one cliche after another.
The one or two not exactly thrilling fight scenes were probably the highlight of the movie. Which isn't saying much. The acting was absolutely terrible.
I'm not usually so harsh in my reviews, and generally tend to find at least one good thing to put in. Twilight has left me with no options. It's a snorefest from beginning to end. I can't even say it's worth watching once.
My fourth mistake, as it turns out, was going to see the second movie, New Moon. I wanted to be fair, knowing Twilight was number one in a series, and those can sometimes be tiresome as they have a lot to set up for, characters to establish, plot lines to deliver. My faith was misplaced.
This movie definitely falls into my 'Rent First' category if you are 16 or under. Any older and you might as well save your money for something that won't send you into flashbacks of all the reasons you're so very glad high school is behind you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Things You Don't Think About, Feb. 16 2013
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Twilight (VHS Tape)
The plot is a standard one. Our private detective, Harry Ross, makes a simple delivery for a friend and discovers a murder. Then he discovers several more. The police suspect him, but let him go. He wades through the confusion, taking the occasional beating. Finally, he solves the mystery. Then re-solves it. We've seen the plot before. But this movie isn't great because of the plot. It's the characters.

Excepting a very young Reese Witherspoon, the main characters are all...old. Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, and James Garner are seasoned actors who know their craft and themselves through decades of experience. They use this knowledge to bring a world-weary, knowing depth to their characters. Not-so-old Susan Sarandon and Stockard Channing also invest their characters with this depth of years, their beauty undiminished by it. These people have lived complex lives and learned something from them. They know who they are.

They know each other, too. You can hear it in how they talk, the abbreviated references to shared events and sadly remembered friends. You can hear it in the silences. There are silences of understanding, when nothing needs saying. And there are silences of considered restraint, when something is thoughtfully left unsaid. ("You haven't apologized to me," complains Gene Hackman. "You haven't been listening," Paul Newman chides in return.)

My favorite exchanges between Paul Newman and James Garner occur while they seem to be resting from previous scenes' exertions. Their words are sometimes blunt, sometimes carefully incomplete, always casual, yet rich with reference and understated implication. These men understand each other with fewer words than younger men use. They haven't the energy or the need to say more.

See this movie with someone you think you know well. It may give you something to talk about. Or carefully not talk about.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fall of Twilight, Oct. 6 2002
By A Customer
Director Robert Benton (Kramer vs. Kramer, Places in the Heart) has crafted a film reminiscent of the 1940's in this complex and character driven film with an ensemble cast of screen veterens and one future star in her first adult role. The mystery is engrossing and the performances are stellar as Benton shows how age sometimes shades the black and white of right and wrong to gray.
The story revolves around former P.I. Harry Ross (Paul Newman) attempting to do a favor for Jack Ames (Gene Hackman) that leads to blackmail and murder, and may involve Jack's beautiful wife Catherine Hayward (Susan Sarandon). A twenty year old murder comes into play as well as Harry slips back into a life he left behind when the Ame's spoiled little brat Mel (Reese Witherspoon) brought him some bad luck a few years prior down in Mexico.
Newman is terrific as he reluctantly tries to fix things for everyone as the bodies pile up. It's a task that gets more difficult as he gets closer to the truth. The unspoken attraction between he and Catherine is cause for concern as well in this character driven mystery. Stockard Channing gives a nice performance as Harry's old flame Lt. Verna Hollander, and Reese Witherspoon acquits herself nicely in her first adult (she has a nude scene) film.
Benton has added some humor to this story also, giving it the feel of reality. This film was not designed for the teen driven box office of today but for the rest of us. It has some terrific performances from the entire cast and some true to life moments.
It is James Garner who truly shines though as the old pal of Harry and Jack, Raymond Hope. Garner always makes it look so natural and easy his performance sometimes gets overlooked. He is really great here and the interplay between he and Newman as they discuss growing older and the events taking place are priceless. It may seem clear what happened twenty years ago but it is the relationships that drive this story and the ones that are shattered forever when Harry finally peels away the gray to reveal the black and white.
This is a fine film that subtly shows what can happen to people who become used to having everything work out for them. As Garner's character Raymond tells Harry, "There's them, and there's us, Harry." Benton has crafted an old style film that you won't want to miss if your tired of the teen box office fare. It is a mature and thoughtful mystery and a meditation on friendship and growing older. This one is worth watching.

2.0 out of 5 stars More like "The Two Jakes" than "Chinatown", July 6 2002
Paul A. Mcdowell (United States) - See all my reviews
A retired PI who lives with a wealthy entertainment family finds himself involved in a mystery. A harmless errand turns into a brush with death and reveals clues to an apparent suicide two decades ago. This drama brings an all star cast, including Gene Hackman, Paul Newman, Susam Sarandon and James Garner as leads.
Twilight however, can't live up to the expectation. One of the problems is the cast itself. Of the 9 major speaking roles, 6 are over 50 years of age, making the plot feel downright elderly. The movie is somber and always serious, but the script has the actors saying and doing silly things. One has to believe that Paul Newman (the retired PD/PI) is basically inept and foolish at the beginning, but dominating and in control by the finale. That situation might be more believable in a rookie film.
But muddled characters are at home in this movie. They appear and disappear as needed, withhold information when they have no reason to, do things that defy explanation, change their loyalties with little reason or complaint. Plot devices that might seem cliche in some directors hands, seem heavyhanded or infantile in this movie. The few action sequences are filmed poorly with one notable exception. Some characters seem to have no point at all and should have been written out. Sarandon, Schreiber and Hackman however, are exceptions and give fine performances. Too bad they had such minor roles.
The plot has major blinders on as well. For instance, Newman is found at multiple crime scenes in comprimising situations. At none of these is he given more than a stern questioning and a nasty look. The motivations of the police are ignored to better serve the mechanations of the plot. For other characters experiences are forgotten, obvious possibilities are ignored, coincidental meetings are commonplace, and the bad guys painstakingly leave a trail back to themselves for Newman. Heck, they may as well have named Reese Witherspoon's character "Plot Device" for all the purpose she has in the movie. Although she may have been included to attract the under 70 crowd.
By the end all of the characters are required to be so mallable and shadowy that none of them seem real, none can be trusted and you certainly cant care enough about their welfare to be concerned about the conclusion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little seen, under-rated thriller, March 28 2002
Matthew Horner (USA) - See all my reviews
This boxoffice failure is actually quite a good mystery thriller. I'd say it was doomed to fail for a number of reasons. Considering the median age of the principle players, the title "Twilight" may have given it an unintended negative connotation. It was oddly refreshing to see that the veteran cast and its director, Robert Benton, can make an R rated film with as much gusto as the younger generation. Still, young filmgoers are often turned off by movies starring anyone older than Leonardo DiCaprio, who is 22. Older audiences may have been unprepared for its graphic nature.
Also, this type of picture is no longer vogue. While it is suspenseful and deals in a mystery, the subplot is the subject of how people handle their emotions when caught in a moral dilemma. Such kinds of films have been popular off and on since Billy Wilder's "Double Indemnity" [1943]. That's the classic in which poor, dimwitted insurance salesman Fred McMurray is seduced by the inimitable Barbara Stanwyck into killing her husband for the life insurance policy McMurray sold him. His infatuation with Stanwyck does not prevent him from knowing that his actions are totally immoral.
Paul Newman plays a down on his luck private eye who is shot in the leg while retrieving a runaway, underaged daughter from a Caribbean island. As a result, he is invited to live on the estate of the girl's parents, two over the hill movie stars played by Susan Saradon and Gene Hackman.
For the first couple of years he is there, things run fairly well. He becomes a close friend to both stars. Of course, his relationship with the daughter is pretty chilly. Even though it was an accident, she was the who shot him.
Then, certain things happen which are cause for alarm. As the events unfold, Sarandon and Hackman begin to appear in a different light. Did they really do what we begin to suspect they did? If so, are they truly that evil? How does Newman react when the goings on involve his best friends, people who have been extraordinarily gracious and helpful towards him?
I was fascinated when I watched the interaction between these and other characters. Between them, the three stars have made 199 movies. They can tell us more in a shifting of the eyes or a slight change in facial expression than stars in training can do in two minutes of screen time. By in training, I mean that, at the very beginning of their careers, these three were no different from the newest stars of today.
Robert Benton is an extraordinary writer and director. As I have stated before, producer Scott Rudin has an exceptional pattern of alternating between small films like this one and big budget ones. The one he produced right after this one was "The Truman Show".
Since this is such and extraordinary cast, with an equally brilliant director, I made a list of some of their best movies:
ROBERT BENTON [wrote and/or directed] - Places in the Heart [1984], Kramer vs. Kramer [1979], What's up, Doc? [1972], The Late Show [1977], Bonnie and Clyde [1967].
PAUL NEWMAN - Mr. and Mrs. Bridge [1990], The Color of Money [1986], The Sting [1973], Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid [1969], Cool Hand Luke [1967], Hud [1963], The Hustler [1962].
SUSAN SARANDON - Bob Roberts [1992], Thelma and Louise [1991], White Palace [1991], Bull Durham [1988], The Witches of Eastwick [1987].
GENE HACKMAN - Get Shorty [1995], Crimson Tide [1995], Unforgiven [1992], No Way Out [1987], Reds [1981], The Conversation [1974], The French Connection [1971].

NEW Twilight (DVD)
NEW Twilight (DVD) by Summit Entertainment (DVD)
CDN$ 2.37