5.0 out of 5 stars Back from the dead!, Dec 27 2011
Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
By the end of the first part of their career (ending in the late 70's, early 80's) it really looked like the Allman Brothers band had run their course. The last couple of albums sucked and once Greg Allman got busted and testified against a couple of the ABB crew saying they were his drug dealers it ripped the band apart (I won't even mention Greg Allman's Cher years). So when in the early 90's they announced that they were getting back together I don't think most people ( I am talking about myself mainly) thought we wouldn't get much more then hopefully a half decent tour where hopefully they would not make us sit thru too much new stuff (in the 80's and 90's a lot of 60's Band's got back together to cash in on the baby boomer nostalgia. Like what is happening with the x generation now with 80's Band's. In most cases these Band's were way past their expirery date). So I grabed my tickets to see them at Maple Leaf gardens to see them and the reformed Little Feat. I figured if I am going to see them I should at least check out the new album "Seven Turns". Produced with hey day producer Tom Dowd (Tom Dowd produced a lot of legendary records but a little known fact about him is he worked on the Manhatten Project and help develop the worlds first atomic bomb) and the magic was still there. It was a great CD. Instead of trying to modernize their sound like most Band's did in the 80's (from what I remember only Yes and Genesis were really able to pull this off) they focused on what they did best. This record stands very close to the "Eat A Peach" days.
But the next record "Shades of Two Worlds" was even better then the last one. This record easily stands with their best work. "End of the line" is right up there with "Midnight Rider".
They then put out the live album "An Evening With....first set). The Alman Brothers were always known as a great live band and this record showed they still were. I can't say it's as good as the legendary "Fillmore" record but it was nothing to be embarrassed by. Great set list and a band firing on all cylinders.
The next Studio record "where it all begins" was another killer studio album.
This box finishes with "An Evening With... Second set" another great live album.
So basically there is not a bad CD in this box plus a couple have been out of print for a while so this is a great way together those CD's without having to by an over priced used version!
If you have not checked out the Allman's start with "Eat A Peach" or the live "Fillmore" CD. If you have heard them or own them and you want more I don't see how you could not be happy with this set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Dec 9 2014
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
All is OK.

Original Album Classics
Original Album Classics by The Allman Brothers Band (Audio CD - 2011)